Craft idea

Started by BuNutzCola, September 05, 2009, 07:52:46 PM

At low level:

craft shard bone
You can't make anything from that.

Moderate level:
craft shard bone

With a piece of leather cord, you might be able to make something from that.

High level:

craft shard bone
With a piece of leather cord, you might be able to make an obsidian-headed spear from that.

Thoughts?
<Morgenes> Dunno if it's ever been advertised, but we use Runequest as a lot of our inspiration, and that will be continued in Arm 2
<H&H> I can't take that seriously.
<Morgenes> sorry HnH, can't take what seriously?
<H&H>Oh, I read Runescape. Nevermin

I like the idea, for crafted goods that require more than one item to make. As it stands now, even a master crafter would never know that the bone could be used, to make a spear, unless he analyzed a spear made out of it, or unless he knew to combine the two items and try. Doesn't really make sense, if you're a master crafter. If you're a master crafter, you should be able to figure out that "fairly common raw material #1 that you've worked with for years + fairly common raw material #2 that you've worked with for years = something you know you can make."

I think that the more uncommon the raw material though, the less likely even a master crafter would be able to know just by looking at 1 raw material. Maybe an element of risk of failure to puzzle it based on the rarity of one, or both/all raw materials or something.

In general though I do like the idea.
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

I approve of this idea, as well.
Quote from: Dalmeth
I've come to the conclusion that relaxing is not the lack of doing anything, but doing something that comes easily to you.

It's a good idea, though chances are that list is going to get long with some of the more generic things.

Maybe in Arm2 this would come in handy with the 'socketed' system that was proposed in the blog, where this would just return

craft white
With any dye, you can produce a length of silk of that color.

Instead of
craft white
With a red dye, you can make a length of red silk.
With a yellow dye, you can make a length of yellow silk.
etc, etc

Neat.  Sort of a reverse analyze.  The higher your skill, the higher your chance to get a random suggestion.  This could work for multiple ingredients, by which I mean:

> craft bone
You realize that if you added a fork, you might be on your way to making something.

> craft fork bone

You realize that if you added a leather cord, you could make a simple back-scratcher.

Quote from: Synthesis
Quote from: lordcooper
You go south and one of the other directions that isn't north.  That is seriously the limit of my geographical knowledge of Arm.
Sarge?

I like.
Quote from: Marauder Moe
Oh my god he's still rocking the sandwich.

I'll only T-up this if BuNutz is playing consistently again.
Quote from: IAmJacksOpinion on May 20, 2013, 11:16:52 PM
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.

+1 from me.

Srsly, crafting is a mean-ass sonofabitch and I'd love a chance for my mastercrafter to know more about what's made from what on Zalanthas than I don't.
Quote from: Wug
No one on staff is just waiting for the opportunity to get revenge on someone who killed one of their characters years ago.

Except me. I remember every death. And I am coming for you bastards.

Yeah, this is a pretty elegant solution to the "discovering crafting recipes" problem.
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: SmuzI come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: VanthSynthesis, you scare me a little bit.

I think this is a marvelous idea for 3-5 item recipes.  Some of the mathematical combinations to hunt those out are pretty ugly.
Its the end of the world as we know it, and I feel fiiiiiine.

September 05, 2009, 09:26:53 PM #10 Last Edit: September 05, 2009, 09:30:28 PM by X-D
I like the idea.

And to keep the returns reasonable, all you would need is a skill arguement.

So, instead of

craft bone

you could make:
a bone ring
a bone bracelet
a bone dagger
a bone torch
a bone helmet
a bone fork

You could do

craft bone (jewelry crafting)2

you could make:
nothing
You realize you might be able to make something if you had:
a diamond
a topaz
a shard of obsidian

craft bone (jewelry crafting)3

you could make:
nothing
you realize you might be able to make something if you had:
a chunk of amber
a packet of red dye

So, you come up with the amber and dye

craft amber bone dye
you could make:
An amber set red-dyed bone ring

So if you used craft item without skill and number it would only check for recipes using exactly those ingredients that work with the skills you have.

So, it would be
craft [item to use] [skill to check] [# of ingredients]

A gaunt, yellow-skinned gith shrieks in fear, and hauls ass.
Lizzie:
If you -want- me to think that your character is a hybrid of a black kryl and a white push-broom shaped like a penis, then you've done a great job

Yeh, baby ... I digs it.
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

Quote from: Ami on November 23, 2010, 03:40:39 PM
>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870

Awesome, Awesome idea!!  :)

I think we should just make crafts to where players can just emote the process and then codedly create an item without having to have any sort of approval or system of checks in place. This being restricted by skills just stifles creativity and makes crafting repetitive to those to watch someone working at it in game.
;D
Quote from: Fnord on November 27, 2010, 01:55:19 PM
May the fap be with you, always. ;D

Who fed the troll?
Lizzie:
If you -want- me to think that your character is a hybrid of a black kryl and a white push-broom shaped like a penis, then you've done a great job

Your mom XD, your mom. Seriously, I was being facetious. Take it as you will. ::)
Quote from: Fnord on November 27, 2010, 01:55:19 PM
May the fap be with you, always. ;D

Yes, she would bait a troll...finds them tasty.
Lizzie: