The echo "you"

Started by Northlander, August 27, 2009, 06:15:36 PM

The simplest way of phrasing this idea is that I'd like everything that currently echoes 'you' to instead echo my character's sdesc. This would further my enjoyment of the world by putting it into the natural phrases of a story.

Currently, it's like this:

You type:
>draw warsword

You see:
You draw a serrated bone warsword.

The room sees:
The awesome woman draws a serrated bone warsword.

With changes according to to the suggestion, it would echo as the latter sentence to everyone who sees the action, including the player whose character draws the weapon.

Currently, it's like this:

He types:
>emote sits down next to ~woman

You see:
The wonderful man sits down next to you.

The room sees:
The wonderful man sits down next to the awesome woman.

With changes according to the suggestion, it would echo 'The wonderful man sits down next to the the awesome woman' to every player who sees the action.

With those basics out of the way, let's delve a bit deeper into the idea. Some actions produce very different echoes to the room than they do to the players of the involved characters - spice and combat skills come to mind. Some echoes are only directed to the player, such as some spice effects, and sometimes when a character is poisoned. I think it'd be nice to see all of them in third person. Beyond "story-mode", an added benefit would be to know what the room is reacting to.
   As for combat skills, this is pretty simple: the three echoes of the 'kick' command, one to the kicker, one to the recipient, one to the onlooker, could easily be brought together into one echo showed to everyone.
   Echoes which are only given to one player could be put in parenthesis, and echoes which are one kind to the affected character and another to the onlooker, for a good reason, can echo both to the player of the affected character. The 'personal' one could then be in parenthesis.

A simple example. Currently, it's like this:

You type:
>eat poison

You see:
You don't feel so good.

With changes according to the suggestion, you would see:

(The tall, muscular woman doesn't feel so good.)

I find it more immersive when the game refers to "me" as if I'm my character. So, I would have to say no.
Quote from: Fnord on November 27, 2010, 01:55:19 PM
May the fap be with you, always. ;D

August 27, 2009, 06:25:54 PM #2 Last Edit: August 27, 2009, 06:28:10 PM by MarshallDFX
I'd actually rather it go the other way.  I find it jarring when I see "The tall, muscular man pats the hilt of your badass sword" instead of "You pat the hilt of your badass sword".  But at the same time, I'd rather it not be changed, because sometimes it's the only way I remember to remove my mask/facewrap/hood.

Edit to also add: Seeing the word "you" is a good way to make sure you pay attention.  Anybody ever try to read what they see on the screen out loud?  Man, sdescs get tedious.

Yeh, I have to agree ... I would rather pronouns were universally fixed, rather than changing that to sdesc and third-person pronouns.

So when I do emotes, I'd rather see, "You grin at the lanky man", instead of our current situation.
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

Quote from: Ami on November 23, 2010, 03:40:39 PM
>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870

I've toyed with the idea of somehow setting it up so that I see my character's short description instead of "you" a time or two, simply because it underscores the fact that I am not my character and shouldn't be playing them as "me", as my mind tends to slip towards, when I keep seeing "you, you, you, you."
  At the same time, I have to agree that it's easier to recognize when your character is being interacted with, by focusing on the "you" that pops up.

If I remember right, the ability to change your personal perspective between first, second, or third person is going to be a feature of Arm 2.0
Quote from: Dalmeth
I've come to the conclusion that relaxing is not the lack of doing anything, but doing something that comes easily to you.

Except it'd end up reading:

The blue eyed man grin at the lanky man.

To everyone except you.

Notice the lack of "s" at the end of grin.

It's an issue with conjugating verbs. One of three people (you, the target, or the witness) will see it wrong, no matter how you do it.

Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

Quote from: Lizzie on August 27, 2009, 06:42:12 PM
Except it'd end up reading:

The blue eyed man grin at the lanky man.

To everyone except you.

Notice the lack of "s" at the end of grin.

It's an issue with conjugating verbs. One of three people (you, the target, or the witness) will see it wrong, no matter how you do it.

Good call.

I want the game to show me "you" in real time, with the ability to output to two logs at a time, one using "you" and one using a third-person view.

Yeah, I'm high-maintenance.
Quote from: Vanth on February 13, 2008, 05:27:50 PM
I'm gonna go all Gimfalisette on you guys and lay down some numbers.

Quote from: Gimfalisette on August 27, 2009, 07:18:55 PM
I want the game to show me "you" in real time, with the ability to output to two logs at a time, one using "you" and one using a third-person view.

Yeah, I'm high-maintenance.

Gimfalisette, you are a coder's worst nightmare.

While the idea of having output formatted in third-person perspective would be useful for making logs more readable, I feel that, as MarshallDFX had mentioned, the use of "you" does catch your eye, which is especially handy when you have a wall of text scrolling down your screen at impossible speeds.
Quote from: ZoltanWhen in doubt, play dangerous, awkward or intense situations to the hilt, every time.

The Official GDB Hate Cycle

Quote from: Pale Horse on August 27, 2009, 06:41:54 PM
If I remember right, the ability to change your personal perspective between first, second, or third person is going to be a feature of Arm 2.0

Yup. It's on the blog somewhere. It accounts for the 'grin/s' problem. So you can have your cake and eat/s it, too.

Quote from: a strange shadow on August 27, 2009, 07:51:05 PM
Quote from: Pale Horse on August 27, 2009, 06:41:54 PM

Yup. It's on the blog somewhere. It accounts for the 'grin/s' problem. So you can have your cake and eat/s it, too.

You mean you can have/has your cake and eat/s it too :)

I'm referring of course to the typical scene where you approach/es me, at which point I give/s you the item you now have/has.
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

Just wanted to chime in and say we get to have our cake and eat it too come 2.arm.

Morgenes already said there will be a feature where you can toggle whether the world refers to your PC in 1st, or 3rd person.
Quote from: Marauder Moe
Oh my god he's still rocking the sandwich.

That's pretty darn cool, right there. Thanks for informing me :)

The less I see my characters sdesc the better, only because sometimes in crowded situations it gets confusing to see my sdesc included with others... much harder to separate things happening to you.

For the record, the perspective command in Arm 2 supports first (I/me), second (you), and third (sdesc), it handles verb conjugation so long as you specify it in the third person as you do today.

So you must do your emotes like:

> emote smiles at ~bob.
You smile at the talk, dark, and handsome man.

Note that if you use the second/first person:

> emote smile at ~bob.
You smile at the tall, dark, and handsome man.

It looks right to you, but everyone else will see:

The short, stubby man smile at the tall, dark, and handsome man.

So long as you can keep the Arm 1 mindset in how you phrase your emotes, you'll get your cake and eat it too in Arm 2.
Morgenes

Producer
Armageddon Staff

I still want everything in third-person past-tense:

The tall, muscular man leapt viciously at the rugged, war-braided woman, but a vine-broidered cotton skirt got in the way.
The sword is sharp, the spear is long,
The arrow swift, the Gate is strong.
The heart is bold that looks on gold;
The dwarves no more shall suffer wrong.

Quote from: brytta.leofa on August 28, 2009, 03:47:41 PM
I still want everything in third-person past-tense:

The tall, muscular man leapt viciously at the rugged, war-braided woman, but a vine-broidered cotton skirt got in the way.

sorry, not likely to happen
Morgenes

Producer
Armageddon Staff

I could not handle what the OP wants. I always just watch the mud and look for "You, "your", and anything else that specifically means me.
I have been in two situations where I was in the same room as someone with the same ldesc. If it was always third person, I'd never know if they meant me, or if they meant that other person that looks exactly like me.
Quote from: Cutthroat on September 30, 2008, 10:15:55 PM
> forage artifacts

You find a rusty, armed landmine and pick it up.

I would like to know though, if the new game will be able to handle instances like this:

emote glances over at ~person as #person stirs.

In the current system ... that has to look bad for someone.

Quote from: musashi on August 29, 2009, 12:12:24 AM
I would like to know though, if the new game will be able to handle instances like this:

That'd be the recipient, who sees "you stirs" instead of "you stir".
Quote from: ZoltanWhen in doubt, play dangerous, awkward or intense situations to the hilt, every time.

The Official GDB Hate Cycle

Or it looks bad for you (and all 3rd party people) if you decide to leave the "stir" instead.

Either way, I'm wondering if that can be fixed in reborn.

August 29, 2009, 01:12:06 PM #21 Last Edit: August 29, 2009, 01:15:08 PM by Morgenes
Quote from: musashi on August 29, 2009, 12:12:24 AM

In Arm 2, here it is from each person's point of view (all set to 2nd person perspective), first the actor:

> emote glances over at ~kid as #kid stirs
You glance over at the fat kid as he stirs.

Now, from the fat kid's perspective:

The tall, dark and handsome man glances over at you as you stir.

And from everyone else in the room's perspective:

The tall, dark and handsome man glances over at the fat kid as he stirs.

So the short answer would be 'yes, Reborn handles this'
Morgenes

Producer
Armageddon Staff

:o

This just makes me want to lather my skull in barbeque sauce and hand myself over to the staff.
Quote from: BleakOne
Dammit Kol you made me laugh too.
A staff member sends:
     "Hi! Please don't kill the sparring dummy."

That is pretty sexy, I admit.

I think this could/would be a pain in the genital regions of your fingers. But it'd be nice IMO if there was some toggle somewhere for seeing things in pure Third-person, or from your character's perspective. Personally, it makes RP a bit easier for me if I'm looking at it from third-person. Doesn't mess with my immersion, just changes my mental approach so I don't slip my own personal feelings and such into my RP.

This proposal is for Arm 2.0, by the by
War is not about who is right, but who is left
Quote from: BebopWhy is my butt always sore when I wake up?  :cry: