Glasshacking records

Started by traen, August 25, 2009, 10:24:13 PM

Quote from: Xagon on August 26, 2009, 05:17:37 AM
Wait, noobs start with 'sid? How come I never started with any?!

Little known fact, you can actually get negative karma.

-1:  %30 less starting sid
-2:  %60 less starting sid
-3:  %100 less starting sid.

I'm sure I've got a log for worst clay-digging ever someplace.

Quote from: deviant storm on August 25, 2009, 11:37:28 PM
...I didn't really know any magicker class could do things with glass/obsidian deposits. Not sure I wanted to, either.

Secret's out!  Woe and alas!  Now, the community will know that, yes!  Magickers secretly need jobs, too!

Joking aside, it's still a valid point.  Why does a magicker doe with a chunk of glass?  Maybe they sell it to the mining offices for enough 'sid to buy a drink/food for the day.

...or maybe they use it to construct tiny glass rats that scurry through the pipes beneath the city, collecting the cast-offs of society, wandering into homes to overhear secret conversations/mudsex sessions, or you know that creeping sensation up your spine when you see a magicker looking at you?  Glass mice, running up your back, so clear and finely done that you see right through them!

Back on topic, I've had some good days and some bad days, glasshacking.  At times, it seems like every time you strike, you crack off enough 'sid/glass to feed a family of five for a week.  Other times, it's like you can't break the surface of the deposite even with a jackhammer driven by a half-giant..and when you do, it's a piddlingly small piece that so horrifies the deposite it came from, that it covers it's self with sand and hides until the next spawn time comes up.
Quote from: Dalmeth
I've come to the conclusion that relaxing is not the lack of doing anything, but doing something that comes easily to you.

Traen, welcome to the GDB.  I hope this experience hasn't soured your experience with it.

For the record, yes, logs less than a year old are "not cool" to post on the GDB, or share with other game players in any other method.

The rest of you... really?  I'm wondering if this thread has won a record for the quickest degeneration into bickering of any GDB thread.  Mansa, do not research that, and do not post links to quicker degenerations.

Lets try to be a bit more civil in the future.  I am quite tempted to lock this thread, but I will give it a chance to be salvaged.

Pale Horse, thanks for giving me inspiration to learn how to code the Glass Rats O' Doom spell.
I seduced the daughters of men
And made the death of them.
I demanded human sacrifices
From the rest of them.
I became the spirit that haunted
And protected them.
And I lived in the tower of flame
But death collected them.
-War is my Destiny, Ill Bill

Quote from: Shalooonsh on August 26, 2009, 06:05:22 PM
Pale Horse, thanks for giving me inspiration to learn how to code the Glass Rats O' Doom spell.

:o

....What have I done.....
Quote from: Dalmeth
I've come to the conclusion that relaxing is not the lack of doing anything, but doing something that comes easily to you.

August 26, 2009, 09:16:53 PM #30 Last Edit: August 26, 2009, 10:18:11 PM by mansa
Challenge accepted!

:cough:
it was in Players Announcements
New Players Guide: http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,33512.0.html

Quote from: Morgenes on April 01, 2011, 10:33:11 PM
You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one

I once hacked five large glass chunks in a row with my poor-str elven merchant.

The sad part is, I had to leave them there. ;D

August 27, 2009, 12:35:44 AM #32 Last Edit: August 27, 2009, 12:37:24 AM by number13
traen -- :

The game's more about participating in a story than racking up any high-scores. That said, I can't be arsed into emoting after every 'use hacker deposit' myself.

Spamming 'use hacker deposit' ten times in under five seconds is clearly on the twinky side, and is usually frowned on.  If a staff member happens to be watching, they could do horrible things to your character as a response, and it also makes it less likely that you'll be tapped for sponsored apps or given karma. But the real reason not to do it is your personal enjoyment. The game is more fun when you make an effort at viewing situations 'realistically', or as much as possible given coded realities and OOC comfort.

Quote from: number13 on August 27, 2009, 12:35:44 AM
If a staff member happens to be watching, they could do horrible things to your character as a response, and it also makes it less likely that you'll be tapped for sponsored apps or given karma.
Don't scare the newbie.

QuoteBut the real reason not to do it is your personal enjoyment. The game is more fun when you make an effort at viewing situations 'realistically', or as much as possible given coded realities and OOC comfort.
true dat^

Spamming 'use hacker deposit' ten times in under five seconds is clearly on the twinky side, and is usually frowned on.  If a staff member happens to be watching, they could do horrible things to your character as a response, and it also makes it less likely that you'll be tapped for sponsored apps or given karma. But the real reason not to do it is your personal enjoyment. The game is more fun when you make an effort at viewing situations 'realistically', or as much as possible given coded realities and OOC comfort.

Disagree.

Spamming "use hacker deposit" ten times in 5 minutes means his character has been mining for only half an hour. How the hell that could be construed as "twinky" is beyond me.

If you were having fun glass-hacking, you shouldn't have!

:-[

Though, I might add that OP claimed he edited -out- the emotes.  So it's not so bad as y'all say.

Quote from: hyzhenhok on August 27, 2009, 01:06:59 AM

Disagree.

Spamming "use hacker deposit" ten times in 5 minutes means his character has been mining for only half an hour. How the hell that could be construed as "twinky" is beyond me.

Mis-communication.

Also--there is preventives in the code against gaining anything from spamming, just like there is for nearly everything else.
Quote from: Fathi on March 08, 2018, 06:40:45 PMAnd then I sat there going "really? that was it? that's so stupid."

I still think the best closure you get in Armageddon is just moving on to the next character.

It's possible there was some lag on my side that made it all spew out in 5 seconds, and with more 'use hacker deposits' than are seen in the OP's log.  There were no emotes.

EDIT: ...it's *really* not a big deal, in my mind. Just that the log was sitting here, on the GDB, so I decided to be an idiot and comment in public. Sorry!

Quote from: Spoon on August 26, 2009, 06:45:18 AM
I'm sure I've got a log for worst clay-digging ever someplace.

Bet I could beat it.

On topic though, everyone was a noob at somepoint (I am still a noob) and learning to emote properly takes time, not everyone is Malik, the master emoter, spewing out emotes quicker than a gatling gun shooting spears from the back of a 'Met. It takes time to cultivate even some speed with emotes, and when In a group, with people talking, emoting, coming and going, and what-not, it gets a little daunting trying to emote quick enough around the various aspects of others.

On a side note to Traen. Welcome to Arm, and keep an eye on Looonsh, if he comes at you with a knife, fork, herbs and spices, and a frying pan, RUN.
Quote from: BleakOne
Dammit Kol you made me laugh too.
A staff member sends:
     "Hi! Please don't kill the sparring dummy."