Holding Things and Looking at Them

Started by musashi, August 16, 2009, 10:48:58 PM

I'd like for every item in the game to be codedly holdable, as in you can equip it into either your secondary, or etwo hand slots. It's a pain sometimes when you want to show another PC something but don't trust them enough to codedly give them an object. Ideally you'd like to be able to hold it so they could use the 'look character's thingie' syntax but ... the item isn't holdable. Errrr!!!  >:(
Quote from: Marauder Moe
Oh my god he's still rocking the sandwich.

You should be able to brandish everything, too.
Quote from: Gimfalisette
(10:00:49 PM) Gimf: Yes, you sentence? I sentence often.

When you find an object that you can't hold, and you think you should be able to hold it, use the typo command on it.

Example: "typo boots I think I should be able to hold these boots so others can look at them."
-- Person A OOCs: I totally forgot if everyone is okay with the adult-rated emotes and so forth?

-- Person B OOCs: Does this count as sex or torture? I can't tell.

-- Person A OOCs: I'm going to flip coins now to decide.

I never know quite how to report things like this.  Why is this a typo and not a bug?  Is there a rule of thumb?
Quote from: Synthesis
Quote from: lordcooper
You go south and one of the other directions that isn't north.  That is seriously the limit of my geographical knowledge of Arm.
Sarge?

Generally anything you can have in your inventory, you should be able hold (es).  You could even typo things that you think you should be able to ETWO or EP (wield).  As long as it isn't some kind of weapon, it shouldn't matter much which hands or how you can hold it.
-- Person A OOCs: I totally forgot if everyone is okay with the adult-rated emotes and so forth?

-- Person B OOCs: Does this count as sex or torture? I can't tell.

-- Person A OOCs: I'm going to flip coins now to decide.

Quote from: Thunkkin on August 17, 2009, 11:53:32 AM
I never know quite how to report things like this.  Why is this a typo and not a bug?  Is there a rule of thumb?

QuoteBug     (General)

This command allows mortals to inform the implementors of a glitch in the programming code. If you stumble across something that simply does not seem right, and it is apparently the result of a flawed special program or is a general part of the world itself, bug it.

Do not use this command to voice general complaints or to inform about typographical errors or ideas that you may have. There are two separate command, idea and typo (q.v.) for those, and bulletin boards for complaints.

The command also takes an object or character as an argument followed by text indicating what is wrong with the character or object. If the target is an NPC or object then it records the database number of that NPC/object to help the staff track down the problem.

Syntax:
    bug <message>
    bug <object>
    bug <character>

Example:
    > bug The spell fireball doesn't work any more.
    > bug staff This staff makes the game crash when wielded
    > bug tailor This NPC charges me negative coins

QuoteTypo     (General)

Use this command to report any typographical errors that you might find throughout the world, including (but not solely): Misspellings in location descriptions/NPCs/objects, grammatical mistakes, punctuation, and so on. If you see anything that does not look textually correct, please use the typo command, as opposed to the wish command.

The command also takes an object or character as an argument followed by text indicating what is wrong with the character or object. If the target is an NPC or object then it records the database number of that NPC/object to help the staff track down the problem. If the target is a PC then it records the name and account of that character for the same reason. An object may be in your inventory or in the room to be a valid target.

Syntax:
    typo <message>
    typo <object> <message>
    typo <character> <message>

Example:
    > typo This aba has the description of a horned helmet!

> typo cap this cap has an extra line return in its description.

> typo lanky This elf is missing the keyword 'elf'
Quote from: Twilight on January 22, 2013, 08:17:47 PMGreb - To scavenge, forage, and if Whira is with you, loot the dead.
Grebber - One who grebs.

Quote from: Thunkkin on August 17, 2009, 11:53:32 AM
I never know quite how to report things like this.  Why is this a typo and not a bug?  Is there a rule of thumb?

Yeah, I get confuzzled on this too but I will attempt to give a rule of thumb nevertheless.  :)

Bugs:   As FW quoted and highlighted, a bug is a glitch in the programming code. So if it's a problem with how a script or a process works and would probably take some investigation to detect the source of the problem, it's a bug.

Typos:  This is used for stuff where correction is a relatively simple matter of changing a couple of words on the object or room like a flag or whatever.  Some examples of matters I've been told to report with the typo command:

• an object that seems to be 'sized' all wrong (ie. too big to put into a container)
  • duplications of NPC's
  • clothing which has a wear location that seems wrong
  • an item which seems to be way too heavy
Quote from: J S BachIf it ain't baroque, don't fix it.

Quote from: Myrdryn on August 17, 2009, 11:35:14 AM
When you find an object that you can't hold, and you think you should be able to hold it, use the typo command on it.

Example: "typo boots I think I should be able to hold these boots so others can look at them."

Thanks Myrdryn ... let the great typo spam BEGIN!
Quote from: Marauder Moe
Oh my god he's still rocking the sandwich.