Ancient Seeeekrit Docummenntt

Started by jcljules, August 02, 2009, 10:00:54 AM

http://www.armageddon.org/intro/tuluk.html

Among the many (the exact number is not known) Orders are the Jihaens, the Lirathans, the Equivocals, and the Royal Guard.

Ooohhh...

There are various types of nobles and Templars. Of those that possess titles of nobility, approximately half are Hlum and half are Surif. The Surif gain their titles by heredity, so that the title (and estate, usually) are passed from generation to generation within a certain family, or dynasty.

Ahhhhh...

Quote from: Gimfalisette
(10:00:49 PM) Gimf: Yes, you sentence? I sentence often.

Yup, that's pre-rebellion Tuluk, though I don't believe the minor orders were ever playable.

There are Hlum again, but their numbers are much smaller.

I just find it interesting that half of the nobles were hlum and that more than one person could win the title at a hunt.
Quote from: Gimfalisette
(10:00:49 PM) Gimf: Yes, you sentence? I sentence often.

Hlums still do not have a voice in the triumverate correct only surifs?
The funny little foreign man

I often hear the jingle to -Riunite on ice- when I read the estate name Reynolte, eve though there ain't no ice in Zalanthas.

Hlums have a voice, but they are such a small section that they don't really have enough clout to do much I believe.
Quote from: Marauder Moe
Oh my god he's still rocking the sandwich.

Quote from: Potaje on August 02, 2009, 01:06:34 PM
Hlums still do not have a voice in the triumverate correct only surifs?

Hlum are individual nobles and do not found Chosen houses, so they do not have representation in the Triumvirate like the Surif houses do.
Quote from: Vanth on February 13, 2008, 05:27:50 PM
I'm gonna go all Gimfalisette on you guys and lay down some numbers.

Really Gimf?

QuoteHlum nobles form a small bloc in the noble third of the Triumverate, exerting less influence than the Surif Houses. However, they often have considerable sway with the common populace due to their background and contacts. Hlum nobles may further strengthen their influence by winning the Grey Hunt more than once.

Come on now ... that's in the website's General Information section under Tuluki Nobility - Hlum Nobles.

Yes, really. When they call for votes in the Triumvirate, they count the votes of the Surif houses. (And the majority vote of the Surif houses becomes the vote of the Chosen faction.) I don't know whether Hlum nobles would be allowed to observe a meeting of the Triumvirate or not--junior Surif nobles usually are not--but even if they are able to observe, that is not the same thing as having a vote.

August 02, 2009, 01:22:48 PM #8 Last Edit: August 02, 2009, 01:26:35 PM by musashi
The docs say they form a small block in the noble third of the Triumverate ... excerting less influence than the Surif Houses.

Doesn't that mean: They get a vote, but since they're just a tiny part of the nobility in comparson with the Surif Houses, their vote is not as weighty (unless they've been playing the good politician and have made sure everyone else votes with them beforehand)?

EDIT: Since this raises a pretty decent question, I asked the staff in the other board. Lets see what they say!

That just means they have partisans and interact with the public and other nobles. That is how they may influence politics. But, most of Tuluki politics happens outside the actual Triumvirate meetings, anyways.

August 02, 2009, 01:38:43 PM #10 Last Edit: August 02, 2009, 02:11:28 PM by musashi
Is that written somewhere or are you speaking from experience?

EDIT:

Quote from: Nyr in the Ask the Staff boardNope.

Right then. My mistake! I must have been reading the doc wrong. I didn't realize Triumverate meant anything other than the actual governing body of Tuluk.

There are only two orders in the templarate now. Within player memory, the Jihaen Order was superseded by the Lirathan Order. (I remember seeing this as a player.)

As for the Hlum nobility:

They have influence and power of a different sort. Hlum nobility form a small bloc in the nobles portion of the Triumvirate, yes, but they have no vote. After all, they are not Surif nobility. Hlum nobility were present at the last Triumvirate meeting and I would assume any guests could be present if invited. Most GMHs would probably also have a representative present, especially if any of their interests are involved. However, again--this does not translate into a direct vote or direct influence of the Triumvirate.
Quote from: LauraMars on December 15, 2016, 08:17:36 PMPaint on a mustache and be a dude for a day. Stuff some melons down my shirt, cinch up a corset and pass as a girl.

With appropriate roleplay of course.

I understand now. I had just thought that by "form a small bloc" and "excert influence" that meant "had a vote". My bad.

August 02, 2009, 02:15:03 PM #13 Last Edit: August 02, 2009, 02:17:50 PM by lingering
musashi, I understand the confusion.  I read the little blurb in the hlum section of the document and can see why you thought that. 

I saw that. It just didn't mention Hlum one way or another, and then as I said above, the Hlum section seemed to imply to me that they did have influence in the meetings, however small, so I took that to mean they had a small say.

Quote from: musashi on August 02, 2009, 01:38:43 PM
Is that written somewhere or are you speaking from experience?

There's much more to politics in either city-state than is written in the docs. At best, the docs are a simple outline of the mechanics--and sometimes they aren't even that clear about mechanics, as in this case. So yes, I was speaking from experience.

There's a big difference in Tuluk between the ability to vote and the ability to have influence.  In Tuluki politics there are only a handful of people who can actually vote.  They are the High Precentor, the King, and the heads of Surif Houses, and even then the noble vote only adds up to one vote.

The real Tuluki politics is what happens before those votes are cast with back room deals and the like, which is where the hlum can actually make their influence known.  Basically the rule to Tuluki politics is if you save your arguments for the Triumverant meeting you've already lost.  Doing politics out in the open is so... soo.. Allanak.  We perfer our shady spice filled backrooms thank you very much.
man
/mæn/

-noun

1.   A biped, ungrateful.

Everything influences politics. The Guild influences politics, the Kurac, all GMH really. None of them have a vote, but they all influence.

> Skills
Your Strength is Absolutely Incredible, Your Wisdom is Poor

>Break Door
You break through the door....

The Politics Deciding building [NSEW]
It's a building where important people do political stuffs.
The hard-nosed templar is standing here.
The brown-nosed templar is standing here, reading.
The influential Guild member is hiding in the corner.
The bastard noble is here, minding his own business.

>say (Bursting through the door in a loud, obnoxious voice) I BE INFLUENCIN' UR POLITIK!

Quote from: Niamh on September 24, 2009, 02:28:12 PM
Remember, you're never in trouble if you don't get caught!

Quote from: Wyx on June 28, 2009, 07:59:17 PM
Besides, the players know best

Quote from: Xagon on August 20, 2009, 04:45:48 PM
>Break Door
You break through the door....

The Politics Deciding building [NSEW]
It's a building where important people do political stuffs.
The hard-nosed templar is standing here.
The brown-nosed templar is standing here, reading.
The influential Guild member is hiding in the corner.
The bastard noble is here, minding his own business.
The tall, muscular man is in your building, influencin' ur politik!

That would be completely inappropriate, but crack me up for the 5 seconds it would last.

-LoD

Yeah. Hlum's power is with the people, yada yada. They don't get to vote, they get to listen to all the boring goings ons and not say a peep. In fact, for every peep a Hlum makes at a Triumvirate meeting, s/he gets one spanking by Muk-Utep's maid, arranged for in part by the Moon Patrol(c)(<---jstorrie).
"You will have useful work: the destruction of evil men. What work could be more useful? This is Beyond; you will find that your work is never done -- So therefore you may never know a life of peace."

~Jack Vance~

Quote from: Reiloth on August 31, 2009, 01:15:55 AM
Yeah. Hlum's power is with the people, yada yada. They don't get to vote, they get to listen to all the boring goings ons and not say a peep. In fact, for every peep a Hlum makes at a Triumvirate meeting, s/he gets one spanking by Muk-Utep's maid, arranged for in part by the Moon Patrol(c)(<---jstorrie).

Is she cute?

'Cause I've got this northern human PC I'm not doing anything with, if so...
Quote from: Oryxin a land...where nothing is as it seems
lol
wait wait
in a harsh desert..wait
in a world...where everything's out to kill you
one man (or woman) stands sort of alone
only not really
lol
KURAC

The Moon Patrol! My eternal nemesis!

Quote from: Spice Spice Baby on August 31, 2009, 03:08:03 AM

Is she cute?

The Moon Patrol consists of both sexes, and they don't have sex. They just watch you while you -do- have sex, and then bust the door down with a kung-fu kick and melt you with laser-beam eyes. Scary shit man.
"You will have useful work: the destruction of evil men. What work could be more useful? This is Beyond; you will find that your work is never done -- So therefore you may never know a life of peace."

~Jack Vance~

Quote from: Reiloth on August 31, 2009, 06:19:24 AM
Quote from: Spice Spice Baby on August 31, 2009, 03:08:03 AM

Is she cute?

The Moon Patrol consists of both sexes, and they don't have sex. They just watch you while you -do- have sex, and then bust the door down with a kung-fu kick and melt you with laser-beam eyes. Scary shit man.

Sounds like 'Gickedr shit to me.

Although it gives me an idea for a cocept The bionic man, alanthian style.
Quote from: BleakOne
Dammit Kol you made me laugh too.
A staff member sends:
     "Hi! Please don't kill the sparring dummy."