You lose concentration.....

Started by Kol, July 23, 2009, 07:26:14 PM

Ok, just a quick thought, imagine if you will you sat there, crafting away, say....a 9mm barreta with a laser pinpoint attachment.
Your base materials are: A hunk of metal, some odds and ends, a laser pen and a attachment clip

You start crafting, halfway through, you have the sudden urge to stand up.

You lose concentration......

you look into your inventory and see: A hunk of metal, some odds and ends, a laser pen, and an attachment clip.

Couldn't it be changed so that if, halfway through crafting you suddenly loose concentration, when you look in your inventory, you see: A half finished barreta casing, a laser sight attachment, a firing mechanisim?
Quote from: BleakOne
Dammit Kol you made me laugh too.
A staff member sends:
     "Hi! Please don't kill the sparring dummy."

Except, then they'd have to make ALL of the following:

objects that reflect the half-completion of every single craftable item in the game

recipes for every single on of those half-way finished products, so that they can be finished.

Or - you can stand when you're crafting, or stay seated when you're crafting, or just accept that you end up starting over and be glad the code doesn't suck your raw materials in the process.
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

I'm not familiar with the code, but I think it would be possible to add a "Half finished" flag to items like that. It would be similar to half-eaten foods. Just flag it as being unusable as well, and everything is fine.

Thing is, in my experience, most people tend to finish what they start. I think this would be too much trouble for not enough effort.
Quote from: Niamh on September 24, 2009, 02:28:12 PM
Remember, you're never in trouble if you don't get caught!

Quote from: Wyx on June 28, 2009, 07:59:17 PM
Besides, the players know best

It's a nice idea, but I agree with Lizzie in that I'd rather see our coders work on other things, and leave that in the realm of emoting.
Quote from: Marauder Moe
Oh my god he's still rocking the sandwich.

:o :o :o Xangon! You stole my sig idea!!!!
Quote from: BleakOne
Dammit Kol you made me laugh too.
A staff member sends:
     "Hi! Please don't kill the sparring dummy."

It's the time involved, Xagon. Items "like that" are every single craftable item in the game. There are thousands of them, and each one would have to have the flag added to it. Plus, food items can be further consumed. If you want half-finished craftables to be "finishable" that means each of those items has to have its own recipe to create the finished product. Which means every craftable item has to have -two- recipes: one for people who don't stop halfway through and start fresh with a half-finished product, and one for people who do. So every single craftable would need to have a new recipe on it.

And each of those has to be done individually. That's because this isn't an object-oriented code. There's no "master craftable" item that you can just add a "half-finished" prefix onto, save the file, and bang, every single craftable suddenly is half-finishable. Each item has its own master and each master has to be individually flagged.
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

Cool idea. The concentration thing is annoying. Lizzie, let the coders code, I say. I'm sure they would be come up with a dandy method of implementing this if they deemed it important enough.
History will be kind to me for I intend to write it.
-Winston Churchill