Timezone Option

Started by elvenchipmunk, July 21, 2009, 01:48:28 PM

Just thought it might be useful if a player could set their account's timezone upon creation, and change it in the menu. Would help with knowing when the message board posts were actually posted, instead of having to look up the time Ginka runs on, then translate that time into the timezone you are currently in.

Thanks.
History will be kind to me for I intend to write it.
-Winston Churchill

+1

I know ... we're just being lazy but ... come on ........ come oooon!!!!
Quote from: Marauder Moe
Oh my god he's still rocking the sandwich.

I could understand the pain for some of our European players.
"Never was anything great achieved without danger."
     -Niccolo Machiavelli

Although I admit it's unrelated ... I just clicked on RGS's inturpretation of you on your sig Archbaron and ... lol'ed.

I'm actually in Japan (GMT+9) but yes, for folks outside the states, esp the ones who suck at math ... it's like a tiny splinter that we can't dig out.

Quote from: musashi on July 21, 2009, 02:24:49 PM
Although I admit it's unrelated ... I just clicked on RGS's inturpretation of you on your sig Archbaron and ... lol'ed.
I haven't figured out yet if my eye is swollen or if I'm wearing a monocle.
     -Niccolo Machiavelli

Well, the time it says on the GDB right now is 6:26 am. It is currently 2:26 pm EST. That's.... 8 hours behind me. Still 4 hours behind PST. EST is GMT -/+ 5, which I don't remember. Either way, it's set to something REALLY odd. :-p
The man asks you:
     "'Bout damn time, lol.  She didn't bang you up too bad, did she?"
The man says, ooc:
     "OG did i jsut do that?"

Quote from: Shalooonsh
I love the players of this game.
That's not a random thought either.

Quote from: tortall on July 21, 2009, 02:28:09 PM
Well, the time it says on the GDB right now is 6:26 am. It is currently 2:26 pm EST. That's.... 8 hours behind me. Still 4 hours behind PST. EST is GMT -/+ 5, which I don't remember. Either way, it's set to something REALLY odd. :-p

For the GDB, you can change that by clicking Profile up top then Look and Layout Preferences on the left side. Click 'auto detect' near the box labeled Time Offset and it should be fixed. If you're on the East Coast of the US then putting in 3 should work too.

However, I believe this suggestion is about the IG board... I'd agree that this idea would be nice.

Somewhat unrelated but similar idea - if this idea goes in, add a time field to board posts for people hosting RPTs and the like. The time put in the time field changes depending on these account settings when the board post is viewed.

An in-game time/date calculator could be neat, too. :)  (Though, there'd be endless whining about the format of day/month/year).  I suspect that there's waaaay too many variables to really make this work, though.

Example (with totally hypothetical results):

> Calendarcalc 030309 1215 EST

On 03/03/09, at 12:15 EST, the in-game date was Ocandra, high sun, the 12th day of the Low Sun, In the Year of Kanks' Slumber, Year 51 of the King's Age.  

> Calendarcalc 101009 21:00 GINKA

On 10/10/09, 21:00 Server Time, the date will be Yochem, dusk, the 210th day of the Low Sun, In the Year of Byn-Stew Rising, Year 54 of the King's Age.

> Calendarcalc Dusk 210 Low 54 into EST

At dusk (Yochem), on the 210th day of the Low Sun, Year 54 of the King's Age (Byn-Stew Rising), it was 10/10/09 21:00 EST

Then ... message boards could include an IC time-stamp and people could just use the "calendarcalc" function to figure out their own time.

Ramble ramble.
Quote from: Synthesis
Quote from: lordcooper
You go south and one of the other directions that isn't north.  That is seriously the limit of my geographical knowledge of Arm.
Sarge?

caldendarcalc is too long to type.

I propose, "caca."
     -Niccolo Machiavelli

Quote from: Archbaron on July 21, 2009, 04:18:57 PM
caldendarcalc is too long to type.

I propose, "caca."

Get Olgaris on this right away!  <3
Quote from: Synthesis
Quote from: lordcooper
You go south and one of the other directions that isn't north.  That is seriously the limit of my geographical knowledge of Arm.
Sarge?

http://www.zalanthas.org/gdb/index.php?action=profile;sa=theme

Go there.  Find the Time Offset field.  Set it.
Quote from: MalifaxisWe need to listen to spawnloser.
Quote from: Reiterationspawnloser knows all

Quote from: SpoonA magicker is kind of like a mousetrap, the fear is the cheese. But this cheese has an AK47.

I meant the IG message boards. Should have been more clear.
History will be kind to me for I intend to write it.
-Winston Churchill

Quote from: Thunkkin on July 21, 2009, 04:14:49 PM
An in-game time/date calculator could be neat, too. :)  (Though, there'd be endless whining about the format of day/month/year).  I suspect that there's waaaay too many variables to really make this work, though.

Example (with totally hypothetical results):

> Calendarcalc 030309 1215 EST

On 03/03/09, at 12:15 EST, the in-game date was Ocandra, high sun, the 12th day of the Low Sun, In the Year of Kanks' Slumber, Year 51 of the King's Age.  

> Calendarcalc 101009 21:00 GINKA

On 10/10/09, 21:00 Server Time, the date will be Yochem, dusk, the 210th day of the Low Sun, In the Year of Byn-Stew Rising, Year 54 of the King's Age.

> Calendarcalc Dusk 210 Low 54 into EST

At dusk (Yochem), on the 210th day of the Low Sun, Year 54 of the King's Age (Byn-Stew Rising), it was 10/10/09 21:00 EST

Then ... message boards could include an IC time-stamp and people could just use the "calendarcalc" function to figure out their own time.

Ramble ramble.

I asked about this here:  http://www.zalanthas.org/gdb/index.php/topic,35610.0.html

Morgenes said she was working on a tool for the website.

Quote from: MarshallDFX on July 21, 2009, 08:10:39 PM
:O
     -Niccolo Machiavelli

July 21, 2009, 09:57:27 PM #14 Last Edit: July 21, 2009, 10:05:15 PM by MarshallDFX
Quote from: Archbaron on July 21, 2009, 08:55:00 PM
Quote from: MarshallDFX on July 21, 2009, 08:10:39 PM
:O

Hm.  I always tend to feminize persons I'm not sure about.  Wishful thinking.
Edit to add:  Plus Morgenes has a kind of grandiloquent roll off the tongue.  Makes my knees weak.  (don't eat mah brainz)

Quote from: elvenchipmunk on July 21, 2009, 06:37:43 PM
I meant the IG message boards. Should have been more clear.
Ah, indeed.  That does make a difference. :D

Quote from: SpoonA magicker is kind of like a mousetrap, the fear is the cheese. But this cheese has an AK47.

Morg's avatar has a beard. I'm guessing male.
Rickey's Law: People don't want "A story". They want their story.

I always do the opposite and call girls guys online. I guess I just figured women have better things to do than play muds  ::)

Quote from: musashi on July 22, 2009, 05:20:04 AM
I always do the opposite and call girls guys online. I guess I just figured women have better things to do than play muds  ::)

Like paint our toenails and cook?
Quote from: manonfire on November 04, 2013, 08:11:36 AM
The secret to great RP is having the balls to be weird and the brains to make it eloquent.

I think he was talking about mastur... You know, I think I'll just stop there.

Quote from: Ourla on July 22, 2009, 02:27:59 PM
Quote from: musashi on July 22, 2009, 05:20:04 AM

Like paint our toenails and cook?

Exactly! And talk about boys and ... stickers.

+1 for the original idea of setting the IG message boards.

Oh, and +1 for mastur- ah, nevermind I ain't gonna go there.
Quote from: musashiengaging in autoerotic asphyxiation is no excuse for sloppy grammer!!!

Armageddon.org