Smells

Started by evil_erdlu, July 20, 2009, 12:17:54 PM

Of course I may be wrong, but it seems currently the only way to determine how someone smells is to 'sniff' them.

I've got an objection here. If I wade into a tavern and there are 10 PC's there, I won't sniff all of them. I won't sniff them at all if they don't have 'smelly' clothing and dust seems to cover the smelly tag all the time.

I can be considered having exceptional olfaction capacity. I can usually determine our daughter started industriously filling her diaper just by entering the room or get offended by perfume walking a few metres past the perfume wearer, or tell what's cooking in every seperate floor in our apartment by just a 'sniff'. But, for example, my father can barely smell anything at all. I used to hide that I smoked from him for years when I was young and he wouldn't feel the stink of smoke at all, even though I smoked in my room regularly. I know there must be a middle-ground to what a PC can and can't smell but maybe;

- ... we can have an addition to the ldesc of the folks just like it shows what they carry or if they're magickally glowing, like;

The skinny, rag-clad human is here.
- He is surrounded by a horrible, pungent odor.

or;

- ... we can add a line to the person's mdesc, so if we're actively interested in the person by 'look'ing at him we can see how he smells.

If we know people will know our PCs smell good, I believe the perfume-sellers will have more business, too.. What do you think?
Q  : Where do you piss?
Yam: On elves.
Q  : And if the area, lacks elves at the given time?
Yam: Scan.

I think that sniff doesn't echo.

:P

Maybe, though, we could have a "sniff all" option?

I believe so, too.. Or people ignore being sniffed well.. But still, I don't want to sniff any and every person in case they have worn perfume and juggled with dung. That's why I'd like to see it in preferably 'look x'.
Q  : Where do you piss?
Yam: On elves.
Q  : And if the area, lacks elves at the given time?
Yam: Scan.

Sniff does not echo. Sniff away, they won't know you're doing it.

I believe that smells are adequately handled by 1. the sniff command, 2. the players' ability to hemote smells coming off their PCs if they want to do so.

> hemote A subtle, floral-tinged scent drifts from @

> hemote As @ shifts on ^barstool, a vile stench wafts from the folds of ~cloak

This is an area where I really favor using the code we presently have in order to add to roleplay, versus adding in another layer of code to do it automatically. There's no need to do it automatically, and to do so possibly stifles creativity and the cool-factor of leaving it to players to do.
Quote from: Vanth on February 13, 2008, 05:27:50 PM
I'm gonna go all Gimfalisette on you guys and lay down some numbers.

Sniff all!  Add sniff all!
The sword is sharp, the spear is long,
The arrow swift, the Gate is strong.
The heart is bold that looks on gold;
The dwarves no more shall suffer wrong.

If "sniff all" automatically filtered out anything that already smells "normal" for that area..it'd be neat.

So if there's like.. 7 npcs, and 6 pcs, in a bar...
you'd sniff all
and 6 of those npcs wouldn't register at all since they smell "however is normal for people to smell in this part of the world." 1 is perpetually drunk, so you'd smell the alcohol reek. 4 of the PCs wouldn't register because they just smell like dust and sweat. But one is spiced up and the other just came in from cleaning the latrines. So those two would show their smell.

That's something I think would be an interesting and possibly useful addition. So, only people who stand out, would register.
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

If there was a 'sniff all' command I would use it whenever I walked into a crowded room.

I agree.

Sniff all

Quote from: NyrYou know what would stop people from complaining all of the time?

Nothing.  Nothing ever will.

QuoteCan I have my old character back?

Sure! But he'd be dead.