No more of this, rumors.

Started by Qzzrbl, July 14, 2009, 04:17:48 PM

At your table, you say in sirihish:
     "bartender rumors"

No more.

Please.

I beg of you staff.

Anything, I don't care what.

Just make a new command or something, it can't be that hard.

:'(

Quote from: Qzzrbl on July 14, 2009, 04:17:48 PM
At your table, you say in sirihish:
     "bartender rumors"

No more.

Please.

I beg of you staff.

Anything, I don't care what.

Just make a new command or something, it can't be that hard.

:'(

Who cares. Who even uses this?
If you gaze for long enough into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

www.j03m.com

I love the NPC talk scripts and this is an awesome thread.

I always tried to use it when I first started playing.  Even as recently as the last January.  But I stopped, because half the time I ended up doing the "says 'barkeep rumors'" thing and the other half of the time, the rumors were RL years out of date.
Quote from: Synthesis
Quote from: lordcooper
You go south and one of the other directions that isn't north.  That is seriously the limit of my geographical knowledge of Arm.
Sarge?

Just do it while you're standing up, rather than sitting at a table.  That way, you get the "You're not sitting at a table!" echo and you don't look like a noob.

Quote from: jmordetsky on July 14, 2009, 04:19:57 PM

Don't be a dick.  It's a valid question.
Quote from: manonfire on November 04, 2013, 08:11:36 AM
The secret to great RP is having the balls to be weird and the brains to make it eloquent.

Quote from: MarshallDFX on July 14, 2009, 05:03:40 PM
Whoah, you can do this?

Most bartenders and some other NPCs have talk scripts, yes.  Some of them are hilariously outdated, but cool nonetheless.
Quote from: manonfire on November 04, 2013, 08:11:36 AM
The secret to great RP is having the balls to be weird and the brains to make it eloquent.

This just in: the kanks are dying and Vennant is thinking of jacking up his prices.

But I think Wyx will save us, according to the Submissions forum.

I will indeed. Please feel free to submit talk scripts.

As it happens, I've proposed the "talk" command, in regards to the script, be replaced with "discuss," which is not used by the code.

Quote from: Wyx on July 14, 2009, 05:35:46 PM

As it happens, I've proposed the "talk" command, in regards to the script, be replaced with "discuss," which is not used by the code.

For the love of Tektolnes, PLEASE! The only reason I stopped using talk scripts with NPCs was because I was tired of embarassing myself.  Why let such a great feature go unused when there is a plausable fix?
Quote from: ZoltanWhen in doubt, play dangerous, awkward or intense situations to the hilt, every time.

The Official GDB Hate Cycle

I think if you are a family member and your house controls the tavern, you should be able to change the rumors. So if you are a kadian, you can tell the well-built bartender about the latest and greatest gossip. This would be a great bonus Imho.
Quote from: Cutthroat on September 30, 2008, 10:15:55 PM
> forage artifacts

You find a rusty, armed landmine and pick it up.

July 14, 2009, 07:08:51 PM #11 Last Edit: July 14, 2009, 07:10:28 PM by jmordetsky

Apparently quite a few people. But I'm old and jaded. It's been quite some time since they seemed relevant at all.

Standing up seems a good way to avoid looking like a n00b.
If you gaze for long enough into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

www.j03m.com

July 14, 2009, 07:39:00 PM #12 Last Edit: July 14, 2009, 07:43:59 PM by hyzhenhok
Quote from: jmordetsky on July 14, 2009, 07:08:51 PM

Apparently quite a few people. But I'm old and jaded. It's been quite some time since they seemed relevant at all.

Standing up seems a good way to avoid looking like a n00b.

The tall, muscular man sits at the bar.
>talk What's up?
The tall, muscular man stands up from the bar.
At your table, you say, "What's up?"
The tall, muscular man sits at the bar.
At your table, the tall, muscular man says, "Sorry, what was that?"
>think (OOC) What a n00b.
Feeling OOC, you think, "What a n00b."

Edit: The point being, standing up and then sitting back down when the NPC fails to give you an echo looks just as dumb as "At your table, you say 'talk bartender hi'."

Well, if you do it before you sit, that works ;)
War is not about who is right, but who is left
Quote from: BebopWhy is my butt always sore when I wake up?  :cry:

July 15, 2009, 12:22:55 AM #14 Last Edit: July 15, 2009, 01:17:32 AM by Delstro
Personally, I would love it if Merchant House Family members could change the bartender rumors for bartenders employed by their house. So a Kurac merchant could change the rumors in Luir's, Kadius could change them in the Firestorm, whoever owns the Striasi for the Sanctuary and the Tribal market could change those, respectively, and so on.
Quote from: Cutthroat on September 30, 2008, 10:15:55 PM
> forage artifacts

You find a rusty, armed landmine and pick it up.

You're welcome to email your clan staff about that.

Discuss will be in next reboot.

Quote from: Wyx on July 17, 2009, 08:01:16 PM
Discuss will be in next reboot.

Thank you! I promise to use it at least once per log-in!
Quote from: ZoltanWhen in doubt, play dangerous, awkward or intense situations to the hilt, every time.

Next reboot we'll have 'discuss' as a replacement for talk.  Note that 'talk' will still work for now, but you can use discuss as well, and it won't have the embarrassing echo.

(and Wyx beat me too it, oh well)
Morgenes

Producer
Armageddon Staff

July 17, 2009, 08:06:56 PM #19 Last Edit: July 17, 2009, 08:35:51 PM by Aaron Goulet
Quote from: Morgenes on July 17, 2009, 08:04:01 PM
(and Wyx beat me too it, oh well)

It's okay, we know who the credit goes to.  ;)

Wasn't trying to steal your thunder, Morg. Just informing the brainzherd.

Quote from: Wyx on July 17, 2009, 08:31:02 PM
Wasn't trying to steal your thunder, Morg. Just informing the brainzherd.

Baa!

=)
Quote from: Synthesis
Quote from: lordcooper
You go south and one of the other directions that isn't north.  That is seriously the limit of my geographical knowledge of Arm.
Sarge?

That is awesome.
Quote from: Wug
No one on staff is just waiting for the opportunity to get revenge on someone who killed one of their characters years ago.

Except me. I remember every death. And I am coming for you bastards.

Quote from: Wyx on July 14, 2009, 05:35:46 PM

Excellent.

I've suggested in the past that the word 'gossip' replace talk for these matters. Seems more relevant.
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

Quote from: Ami on November 23, 2010, 03:40:39 PM
>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870

Quote from: The7DeadlyVenomz on July 17, 2009, 11:12:27 PM
I've suggested in the past that the word 'gossip' replace talk for these matters. Seems more relevant.

I prefer 'discuss' over 'gossip', simply because 'talk' is used for more than learning rumors with some NPCs.  To me, 'discuss name' feels less awkward than 'gossip name'.