Idea for stun.

Started by Qzzrbl, July 13, 2009, 12:39:19 AM

I don't know if this idea's been tossed around before, possibly, but I'd like to see stun done different.

Namely in cases of unconsciousness.

I've had characters fall off of the shield wall and get knocked out.

I've also had characters knocked out in unarmed fistfights.

The problem here?

Both occasions, my character was out for about the same amount of time.

Would it be possible for the amount past the big zero number determine how long you're out for?

It would work like this.

Let's say you're sparring unarmed, and you're getting your ass hammered, reeling body shots and neck and head shots all around, you see your stun chipping away in pretty big chunks. One hit just took away 20, another knocked off 29. Finally you get to zero and you drop like a sack of dead 'gicker food (babies) ((<-- Even though 'gickers will onle eat them when they're alive))

So as soon as you fall, the other guy gets off, doesn't even hit you after you hit the ground. Your stun is now around -9. (Your stun was at around 18 when that last hit went through, so it just put you out and carried over a little)

Depending on your endurance skill, it'll start going back up until you regain consciousness, so no more waiting around for an hour just because you got knocked flat on your ass.

Now if your opponent decided to keep hitting you (or if you were tossed off a mountain in your helpless state), it would've sent you farther into the cold grasp of unconsciousness.

What'cha think?

I'd like for there to be a degree between completely conscious and knocked completely out. That way, if you are hit hard (enough to where you would be knocked out now but just barely enough to be so) you could still speak (maybe with slurred speech) hear (with some impairment) see (with some impairment) and have a status effect showing that you're swaying or your eyes are rolling, etc. Then if you were hit with enough stun damage to send you past that narrow halfway point, you'd go completely out.
Quote from: Fnord on November 27, 2010, 01:55:19 PM
May the fap be with you, always. ;D

Qzz and Jhunter's ideas are both awesome.

I'd like unconsciousness times to be more variable than they are now, based on the type of injury sustained.
And I vanish into the dark
And rise above my station

I've made the OP suggestion in the past, and Jstorries as well.
A gaunt, yellow-skinned gith shrieks in fear, and hauls ass.
Lizzie:
If you -want- me to think that your character is a hybrid of a black kryl and a white push-broom shaped like a penis, then you've done a great job

Quote from: Qzzrbl on July 13, 2009, 12:39:19 AM
Depending on your endurance skill, it'll start going back up until you regain consciousness, so no more waiting around for an hour just because you got knocked flat on your ass.

Not um that I really know what I'm talking about as far as ability scores go, but wouldn't this be like a passive boost to the endurance stat? The better endurance you have the faster you wake up, versus how it is now (I think) where knock-outs are equal in time unconscious regardless of your endurance roll?

I don't know, it would kind of be a passive racial boost as well--Dwarves, for instance, would on average wake up faster than elves. And this may not be a bad thing, just realize that if the maximum sleepy-time is greater than it is now it then this will be a nerf to non-endurance bearing characters/races.

This would also prompt thugs to continue beating on you after you're knocked out in order to make sure you get the maximum sleepy-time. Not that this is a bad thing, go thugs!, just saying.
NEVER BE ASHAMED OF WHO YOU ARE -anonymous

Both Qzz and Jhunter's ideas are definitely win.
A staff member sends you:
"Normally we don't see a <redacted> walk into a room full of <redacted> and start indiscriminately killing."

You send to staff:
"Welcome to Armageddon."

Agree wholeheartedly.
Mansa to Me: "You are a cancer to ArmageddonMUD."