Derail from Grebber Blues

Started by Ender, July 06, 2009, 11:35:13 AM

Quote from: Ocotillo on March 21, 2009, 12:37:08 AM
I should preface this briefly by saying I'm still not sure what grebber means, but it just felt right for this topic title.

Grebber is one of my favorite arm terms.  

A grebber is someone who has made a profession out of scavenging.  You can be a stone grebber, a dung grebber, a salt grebber, etc.  The grebber epitomizes the struggle and grittiness of this game in my mind, someone who has to scrape together to survive on very little.  

The term is synonymous with a low class and generally unskilled laborer, though I like the idea that scavenging in arm is not seen as something to look down upon, but as a viable means of survival for many.
man
/mæn/

-noun

1.   A biped, ungrateful.

Quote from: Ender on July 06, 2009, 11:35:13 AM
The term is synonymous with a low class and generally unskilled laborer, though I like the idea that scavenging in arm is not seen as something to look down upon, but as a viable means of survival for many.

Agreed. It's the job no one wants to do, but someone has to.

I played a magicker who really was actually grebbing in the 'rinth for a living once, but people wanted her to be a magicker rather than a grebber--despite the fact that she was able to support herself that way. It was somewhat disappointing, the social pressure to reveal herself and then "act like" a magicker.
Quote from: Vanth on February 13, 2008, 05:27:50 PM
I'm gonna go all Gimfalisette on you guys and lay down some numbers.