Listen and Scan question

Started by Krath, July 06, 2009, 09:32:50 AM

Question #1: How are Offpeakers suppose to train the Listen skill
if no one is around to overhear?

Question #2: When did the change to Scan and Listen come into play?

Thanks in advance, Krath.
Quote from: roughneck on October 13, 2018, 10:06:26 AM
Armageddon is best when it's actually harsh and brutal, not when we're only pretending that it is.

How are off-peakers supposed to use the listen skill if no one is around to overhear?   :P

For a semi-twinky answer, though, perhaps find NPCs that randomly say things and hang out nearby.

Moe, Thank you for your answer, however I am not sugar coating what it is.  ;)
Quote from: roughneck on October 13, 2018, 10:06:26 AM
Armageddon is best when it's actually harsh and brutal, not when we're only pretending that it is.

My rangers often use Listen in the wastes from an in character desire to not be sneaked up on.  I think there are beasties that sneak and hide, so...
You'll never find a more wretched hive of scum and villany.  Except for maybe Allanak."

-Anonymous

Quote from: Krath on July 06, 2009, 09:32:50 AM
Question #2: When did the change to Scan and Listen come into play?

http://www.zalanthas.org/gdb/index.php/topic,32920.0.html

Quote from: Morgenes on October 29, 2008, 10:34:48 AM
Listen and scan have been changed to drop when you enter melee combat with someone.  This is due to you being unable to concentrate on things such as whispers, overheard conversations, and subtle shadows and changes in light that is required by these skills, and instead concentrate on fighting.

Additionally, changes have been made to paralysis and magical sleep in regards to fighting.

If you are under the affect of a magical sleep, you will wake up and be able to fight, however you will have a penalty to your maximum stun applied.

If you are under the affect of a paralysis affect (mundane or magical) you will have a chance to break out of it, but you will be slowed down based on the original affect.

Additionally, the overall duration of both sleep and paralyze affects have been reduced for playability reasons.
Quote from: LauraMars on December 15, 2016, 08:17:36 PMPaint on a mustache and be a dude for a day. Stuff some melons down my shirt, cinch up a corset and pass as a girl.

With appropriate roleplay of course.

Quote from: 5 day lifespan on July 06, 2009, 10:34:49 AM
My rangers often use Listen in the wastes from an in character desire to not be sneaked up on.  I think there are beasties that sneak and hide, so...

95% of my PCs have been independent rangers who wonder in the wild.  I've never picked up any successful listen returns in the wild.
Could just be me or being in the wrong place, though.
Quote from: Twilight on January 22, 2013, 08:17:47 PMGreb - To scavenge, forage, and if Whira is with you, loot the dead.
Grebber - One who grebs.

There are ways to fail at these skills without people being around.
Quote from: MalifaxisWe need to listen to spawnloser.
Quote from: Reiterationspawnloser knows all

Quote from: SpoonA magicker is kind of like a mousetrap, the fear is the cheese. But this cheese has an AK47.

If a tree falls in the Grey Forest and you fail your listen check, it still makes a sound.
Quote from: LauraMars on December 15, 2016, 08:17:36 PMPaint on a mustache and be a dude for a day. Stuff some melons down my shirt, cinch up a corset and pass as a girl.

With appropriate roleplay of course.

Quote from: Nyr on July 06, 2009, 04:13:03 PM
If a tree falls in the Grey Forest and you fail your listen check, it still makes a sound.

Haha! +2 nyr
Quote from: Twilight on January 22, 2013, 08:17:47 PMGreb - To scavenge, forage, and if Whira is with you, loot the dead.
Grebber - One who grebs.

Quote from: spawnloser on July 06, 2009, 03:36:53 PM

Are these way something you need to look for, or something that will be going on passively while you're going about your business in the wilds/whatever with listen on?

Quote from: RogueGunslinger on July 06, 2009, 05:18:27 PM
Quote from: spawnloser on July 06, 2009, 03:36:53 PM
Are these way something you need to look for, or something that will be going on passively while you're going about your business in the wilds/whatever with listen on?
No.  It is something very simple and basic.
Quote from: MalifaxisWe need to listen to spawnloser.
Quote from: Reiterationspawnloser knows all

Quote from: SpoonA magicker is kind of like a mousetrap, the fear is the cheese. But this cheese has an AK47.

Skill Listen                                                   (Perception)

While appearing to do little at all, effective use of this skill in fact
begins a time period during which conversations in other rooms may be
heard. Conversations at tables can be overheard, and if the skill level is
great enough, doors can be listened through.

Syntax:
   listen [on|off|status]

Note:
   Listen has some effect on the detection of stealthy activities that can
make noise.

Listening takes concentration, and so while in use your maximum stun is
decreased based on how good you are at listening.

FAQ 9                                                              (Newbie)

How do I learn skills?
----------------------
   In almost every instance, skills and spells are learned by practice. If
your character has some basic knowledge of a skill or spell (i.e., if it
appears in your 'skills' list), then it will improve by doing it over and
over again. When you fail in an attempt to use a skill or spell, there is a
chance it will improve.

Let's put 2 and 2 together here.
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: SmuzI come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: VanthSynthesis, you scare me a little bit.