Minimum Inventory Space of Five Items

Started by Fathi, July 01, 2009, 08:17:55 PM

Just like the topic says, man.

Many crafting recipes in the game require 3, 4, even 5 components. Due to the way Armageddon's crafting code works, crafting ingredients must be in one's inventory in order to be crafted into something else. This isn't entirely realistic, as in real life, it's perfectly possible to carve at a block of stone while it's sitting on a table or to nail pieces of wood together while they are sitting on the ground. However, overhauling the crafting system would be a huge pain in the butt.

Currently, agility determines how many items a character can hold in their inventory. This puts low-agility races such as half-giants, dwarves, and muls at a significant disadvantage, especially considering that it's possible to prioritise agility and still roll low enough to be affected by these item limits. Some players have posted on the GDB about rolling half-giants with agility so low they can't even hold two items, meaning their character must be tweaked by staff before they can use things like stables and tailors.

I think the best solution to this problem is to give a minimum inventory of 5 items to every character.

If the staff don't want to change the impact of agility on inventory size entirely, I'm sure nobody would argue with keeping the bonuses given to high-agility characters.

I think tweaking inventory size would save a lot of player frustration and a few staff man-hours. After Morgenes posted about welcoming emails on the subject of stats that make concepts truly 'unplayable', I figured this issue would be better discussed by the playerbase as a whole, who could quite possibly come up with an even better solution than my proposal.
And I vanish into the dark
And rise above my station

zomg if u do this everyone will roll HG merchants and be liek super wealthy cuz nobody can kill them and they will craft everythingz
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: SmuzI come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: VanthSynthesis, you scare me a little bit.

Yeah... this solution would be a lot more elegant than others I can think of... and solve some of the strangeness that very low agility can bring.

Simplest fix: if the minimum inventory size is one, make it five. Make the maximum size four more than whatever it is now. Allow agility to decide the characters inventory in that new range rather than 1 to current max.

If people don't agree with a minimum inventory of five, I think they would find it hard to not agree with a minimum inventory of two. Seriously. Most PCs have two hands with one thumb each and should be able to carry coins and a ticket without a problem.

I don't really see how agility affects one's inventory size anyhow....

Unless our characters are balancing everything you see after typing "inventory" in their hands, along with whatever their holding.... But that would be just silly, wouldn't it?

I think other things should affect your inventory size.... Like pockets, and whether or not you're sitting at a table.

Oh god... please... I NEED this addition. :) Please?
Quote from: Wug
No one on staff is just waiting for the opportunity to get revenge on someone who killed one of their characters years ago.

Except me. I remember every death. And I am coming for you bastards.

This is not the fix we're going with, we are currently testing allowing you to craft from items in the room, your inventory, worn items and things on tables.  This will solve the problem of a portion of the game being difficult/impossible with low agility without removing the penalty we intend for carrying items with low agility.
Morgenes

Producer
Armageddon Staff

craft vine vine vine into basket

Carefully, you craft your numut vine, numut vine, and vine-embroidered cloak into a basket.

think DOH

On Topic: That's awesome, Morg.
Quote from: Synthesis
Quote from: lordcooper
You go south and one of the other directions that isn't north.  That is seriously the limit of my geographical knowledge of Arm.
Sarge?

Joking aside, let us hope Morg and crew really do make sure what Thunkkin said does not happen.

I once accidently repaired a very pricy shield with itself, that was interesting.

repair shield shell
You repair a heavy shell shield with a heavy shell shield.
I
Nothing
DOH!
A gaunt, yellow-skinned gith shrieks in fear, and hauls ass.
Lizzie:
If you -want- me to think that your character is a hybrid of a black kryl and a white push-broom shaped like a penis, then you've done a great job

key vine
In your inventory:
1.vine
2.vine
In room:
3.vine

4.vine

5.vine

Heh. Not perfect, but a workaround is better than nothing.
Quote from: Wug
No one on staff is just waiting for the opportunity to get revenge on someone who killed one of their characters years ago.

Except me. I remember every death. And I am coming for you bastards.

I was wondering more about something that was brought up in another thread on the subject: what happens if someone else wanders into the room and picks up the stuff you're trying to craft with?

Either way, the fact that any kind of fix is being considered for this is awesome.
And I vanish into the dark
And rise above my station

Quote from: Fathi on July 02, 2009, 12:43:15 AM
I was wondering more about something that was brought up in another thread on the subject: what happens if someone else wanders into the room and picks up the stuff you're trying to craft with?

Either way, the fact that any kind of fix is being considered for this is awesome.

same thing that happens if someone had stolen the item you were crafting from your inventory.  You will get a message as the crafting completes saying you can't find the item anymore and the crafting will abort
Morgenes

Producer
Armageddon Staff

To consider:

An easier option than allowing items in the room/table to be craftable (directly), together with items in inventory and worn items, would be to allow items inside containers to be crafted, as long as atleast one of the items in the recipe is outside the container, and in inventory.

example:
i
a length of black silk
a small bag

exa bag
a set of moonstone buttons

craft silk buttons bag
You could craft a pair of cool black silken pants with shiny buttons
You could craft a pair of a chilling black silk shirt with shiny buttons

craft silk buttons bag into <your choice of item>

Syntax:
craft item 1 (in inventory) item 2 container item 3 container into <resulting item>

Whether only items within carried containers should be considered, or, even items in containers in the room should be allowed, would depend on the Staff, I personally would be for - containers in person's inventory only.
The figure in a dark hooded cloak says in rinthi-accented Sirihish, 'Winrothol Tor Fale?'

Wow! Thanks Morgenes that is perfect! Now I can set all my stuff on a sewing table or work bench and actually craft with it! It makes perfect sense! You're the best!
You give your towering mound of dung to the inordinately young-spirited Shalooonsh.
the inordinately young-spirited Shalooonsh sends:
     "dude, how'd you know I was hungry and horny?"

Quote from: Morgenes on July 01, 2009, 09:28:48 PM
This is not the fix we're going with, we are currently testing allowing you to craft from items in the room, your inventory, worn items and things on tables.  This will solve the problem of a portion of the game being difficult/impossible with low agility without removing the penalty we intend for carrying items with low agility.
Keeping this tightly controlled, may I suggest that only the items on the table you are sitting at or standing at be considered, and that the concept of things you are wearing be removed. Accidents can happen, and it would be better to avoid that altogether.

But otherwise, sir, that is absolutely awesome.
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

Quote from: Ami on November 23, 2010, 03:40:39 PM
>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870

We are expanding the message you get when crafting starts to indicate where each item is found.  If you pay attention you can stand to break your concetration before the crafting happens.

We are leaving it the way it is so that it matches the results you get from the keywords command, allowing you guys the tool to avoid mistakes.
Morgenes

Producer
Armageddon Staff

I have to ask, why do we even have these inventory restrictions?  What is the benefit of allowing more items in your inventory beyond certain coded requirements?
Any questions, comments, or condemnations to an eternity of fiery torment?

Waving a hammer, the irate, seething crafter says, in rage-accented sirihish :
"Be impressed.  Now!"

Quote from: Dalmeth on July 04, 2009, 10:35:20 PM
I have to ask, why do we even have these inventory restrictions?  What is the benefit of allowing more items in your inventory beyond certain coded requirements?

"> ep dagger" doesn't initiate a free attack by your opponent, whereas "> get dagger belt;ep dagger" very well might.

So, if you can carry 8 daggers in your inventory, you're much more "disarm-proof" than someone who can only carry 2.

Just one example.

Quote from: Morgenes on July 04, 2009, 10:28:39 PM
We are expanding the message you get when crafting starts to indicate where each item is found.  If you pay attention you can stand to break your concetration before the crafting happens.

We are leaving it the way it is so that it matches the results you get from the keywords command, allowing you guys the tool to avoid mistakes.

Cool beans.
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

Quote from: Ami on November 23, 2010, 03:40:39 PM
>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870

Quote from: Synthesis on July 04, 2009, 10:39:05 PM
"> ep dagger" doesn't initiate a free attack by your opponent, whereas "> get dagger belt;ep dagger" very well might.

Could you explain this to me?  I find the distinction between them to be so fine as to be none-existent.

So, if you can carry 8 daggers in your inventory, you're much more "disarm-proof" than someone who can only carry 2.

Just one example.

That's a really thin argument considering we have readily available sheaths for weapons that will allow you to pull out more weapons all during combat.  So why not get the proper tools for that job?  Besides, if you're carrying eight weapons to proof against yourself against disarm, you're not disarm-proof.  Why not just five for everyone?
Any questions, comments, or condemnations to an eternity of fiery torment?

Waving a hammer, the irate, seething crafter says, in rage-accented sirihish :
"Be impressed.  Now!"

Quote from: Dalmeth on July 05, 2009, 01:29:24 PM

Could you explain this to me?  I find the distinction between them to be so fine as to be none-existent.

Just one example.

That's a really thin argument considering we have readily available sheaths for weapons that will allow you to pull out more weapons all during combat.  So why not get the proper tools for that job?  Besides, if you're carrying eight weapons to proof against yourself against disarm, you're not disarm-proof.  Why not just five for everyone?

I wasn't arguing anything.  I was saying: there are advantages beyond mere crafting to having a large inventory space (which is what you asked: what other coded advantages are there?).  I'm not saying I think it's realistic or appropriate, I'm simply telling you how it is.

With respect to the sheath argument:  ceteris paribus, the man with the larger inventory can potentially carry more weapons, so that's not really an effective counterargument.  And since disarm now costs stamina points, and your combat effectiveness decreases markedly as you grow more tired, having lots of weapons on your body can be a distinct advantage against the only known class that gets the disarm skill.

Is it likely that carrying 8 weapons in your inventory will save you? No.  Is it possible? Yes.