Storm Duration

Started by jmordetsky, June 27, 2009, 04:10:21 AM

I'm going to throw this out there - since I'm a posting spree...I love harsh storms. Getting lost in storms - awesome.

But - 1hr long unnavigable by non-rangers...2hrs? 3hrs....days of storms. We're getting a little ridiculous. This may be seasonal - I don't know.

How about - storms last the cycle of an IC day - then maybe retreat for a day or two. 45min to an hour of serious holy fucking shit storms - is plenty.

If you gaze for long enough into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

www.j03m.com

I haven't had any problems with storms at all, since the changes were made to them however long ago.
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: SmuzI come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: VanthSynthesis, you scare me a little bit.

Quote from: Synthesis on June 27, 2009, 04:12:04 AM
I haven't had any problems with storms at all, since the changes were made to them however long ago.

Played a non-ranger in the south lately?

www.j03m.com

Quote from: jmordetsky on June 27, 2009, 04:17:47 AM

Yes. Only been caught in a fierce storm twice, and both times I was able to ride from the far edge of the storm back to the city with only minor inconvenience.  I've only had to cancel a planned outing once, and the weather was good enough the next IC day.  It's not really a big deal.

June 27, 2009, 06:20:08 AM #4 Last Edit: June 27, 2009, 06:22:44 AM by jmordetsky
Quote from: Synthesis on June 27, 2009, 05:34:10 AM

Yes. Only been caught in a fierce storm twice, and both times I was able to ride from the far edge of the storm back to the city with only minor inconvenience.  I've only had to cancel a planned outing once, and the weather was good enough the next IC day.  It's not really a big deal.

I find myself spending hours in storms. It's not unplayable, but it sucks a little. And I'm not trying to be a douche about a little storm - but it's been between 0 and 1 room vis harsh sandstorm around Nak since I logged in at 8pm PST.

www.j03m.com

Quote from: jmordetsky on June 27, 2009, 06:20:08 AM
Quote from: Synthesis on June 27, 2009, 05:34:10 AM

Yes. Only been caught in a fierce storm twice, and both times I was able to ride from the far edge of the storm back to the city with only minor inconvenience.  I've only had to cancel a planned outing once, and the weather was good enough the next IC day.  It's not really a big deal.

I find myself spending hours in storms. It's not unplayable, but it sucks a little. And I'm not trying to be a douche about a little storm - but it's been between 0 and 1 room vis harsh sandstorm around Nak since I logged in at 8pm PST.

Welcome to Allanak.  Outside the gates the median weather is a storm around 'Nak.  The code changes to weather made it so that instead of building up to a Terrible Storm and staying there, it would tend to stick closer to the median, providing more playable weather ranges.  We didn't want to completely remove the effect of storms.  We wanted to make it so that if the game stayed up for any length of time it didn't get into a horrible state and stay there, which is what it was doing.
Morgenes

Producer
Armageddon Staff

Kinda makes me think about just how harsh and inhospitible the south really is, if the local weather norm is howling storms strong enough to strip flesh from bone.

How the hell do those farming villages and fields actually manage to produce anything?  If that's not proof that the city's putting to use it's gemmer population to use, I don't know what is.

On topic:  My like/dislike for/of storms really varies, depening on what sort of character I'm playing.  The social, primarily city-bound character doesn't mind them as much as the lone waste wonderer or the'sid minning Average Amos.  As I'm currently on a more social based character, I don't really have as much of a problem with them.
Quote from: Dalmeth
I've come to the conclusion that relaxing is not the lack of doing anything, but doing something that comes easily to you.

Quote from: Pale Horse on June 27, 2009, 07:24:45 AM
Kinda makes me think about just how harsh and inhospitible the south really is, if the local weather norm is howling storms strong enough to strip flesh from bone.

That's not the norm in Zalanthas or on Earth.

Quote from: Nyr on September 08, 2008, 11:55:37 AM
Also, would a Zalanthan sandstorm have the ability to rend the flesh from one's bones?

When I hear that, the scene from Raiders of the Lost Ark comes to mind--you know, the guy with his face melting off.
Sand is an irritant to skin.  Sand traveling at high speeds can irritate skin more than sand that isn't traveling at high speeds. 
Sure, it could damage eyes, sensitive skin (perhaps abrasions).
Primary components of a sandstorm:  wind, dust/sand.
Secondary dangers:  things that wind can carry (like pieces of wood, bone--people, perhaps, at high wind speeds), blinding effect of no visibility from sand obscuring light, lung damage from high dust intake (which can be protected against to some extent), damage to arable land, etc.
The causes of death and injury from sandstorms appear to be more from secondary complications.
Quote from: LauraMars on December 15, 2016, 08:17:36 PMPaint on a mustache and be a dude for a day. Stuff some melons down my shirt, cinch up a corset and pass as a girl.

With appropriate roleplay of course.

Sitting at the dock of the bay
Watching the silt cover my legs
Sitting at the dock of the bay
Wasted time.

Seems like nothing's gonna change now
Everything remains the same now
I don't like ten whirlwinds keeping me from taking 1 step north to clear skies
So I guess I'll remain the same

I'm just standing here resting my bones
Cause the whirlwind won't leave me alone
Three RL hours standing like a stone
And no quit-safe makes this dock my home

Sittin on the dock of the bay
watching the silt roll my way
ooooh
Sittin on the dock of the bay
Wasted time.
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

LOL @ Lizzie.
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

Quote from: Ami on November 23, 2010, 03:40:39 PM
>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870

<3 Lizzie
Quote from: Twilight on January 22, 2013, 08:17:47 PMGreb - To scavenge, forage, and if Whira is with you, loot the dead.
Grebber - One who grebs.

The "allanak" zone doesn't cover the entire south, either.  If you travel far enough in any direction, you might be pleasantly surprised (with respect to the weather, at least...hehe).

Quote from: Synthesis on June 27, 2009, 06:32:36 PM
The "allanak" zone doesn't cover the entire south, either.  If you travel far enough in any direction, you might be pleasantly surprised (with respect to the weather, at least...hehe).

...or unpleasantly surprised. ;)
The sword is sharp, the spear is long,
The arrow swift, the Gate is strong.
The heart is bold that looks on gold;
The dwarves no more shall suffer wrong.

Quote from: brytta.leofa on June 27, 2009, 09:12:38 PM
Quote from: Synthesis on June 27, 2009, 06:32:36 PM

...or unpleasantly surprised. ;)

(with respect to the south, at least)
Child, child, if you come to this doomed house, what is to save you?

A voice whispers, "Read the tales upon the walls."

It was very clear in the south a few IC days later. I don't mind storms mind you. My gripe is that if I sit down to play in an hour, it should be enough time for a storm to subside. I like that storms force you off in crazy directions, I just don't like when I'm like fuck I really need to quit, and I'm fucking 2 ticks from the god-damn gate ;)

I would argue (again) desperately for desert quit for all classes with a health/stam penalty of 60% for non-rangers.

www.j03m.com