Thoughts on: A *something* refuses to move

Started by jmordetsky, June 27, 2009, 12:06:43 AM

I like the new ride code, a lot. I like that it's terrain sensitive. etc.

What I don't like, is constantly typing the direction that I want to move in.

Wondering - would ride be better if rather then fail the entire movement, it added a significant delay and an echo.

> e

You have a hard time moving your mount.

[time passes based on skill]

movement occurs.
If you gaze for long enough into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

www.j03m.com

Or even - an auto retry with a delay.

www.j03m.com

I would actually like this quite a bit.

Good idea.
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

Quote from: Ami on November 23, 2010, 03:40:39 PM
>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870

+1 from me.

It's always a pain in the ass to be riding behind someone and have to redo your entire emote/tell/what-have-you because your mount stopped and you have to catch up to them again, then reinput it.
Quote from: Wug
No one on staff is just waiting for the opportunity to get revenge on someone who killed one of their characters years ago.

Except me. I remember every death. And I am coming for you bastards.

I don't like the sound of a massive delay. If no methods other than invoking a longer delay can be thought up, then I would be in favour of a small, second or two delay added on, its length decided by your current ride skill. Something that's just enough for two riders, both riding the same mount, both spam-walking in the same direction, but the one with the higher riding skill will eventually (or quickly) outride the other one.

Again, I don't like the word -massive- delay is all. And would prefer a method other than a delay to represent poor riding skill. I simply can't think of another way represent it. I'm sure someone will, though, and I will be in favour of it  ;D
History will be kind to me for I intend to write it.
-Winston Churchill

Also, critical fails should go in the wrong direction... not no moving at all.

my $0.02
Quote from: Twilight on January 22, 2013, 08:17:47 PMGreb - To scavenge, forage, and if Whira is with you, loot the dead.
Grebber - One who grebs.

Oh god no. No more wrong direction shit please.

I like movement delays.

Disagree, FW. There's enough of that already when darkness can do it and storms can do it. Last thing I want to see is yet another thing which can drop you into a hole or get you further lost from the people you're travelling with who reasonably -wouldn't- lose you. Thumbs down.

Still all for the delay and keep trying for that direction thing, though.
Quote from: Wug
No one on staff is just waiting for the opportunity to get revenge on someone who killed one of their characters years ago.

Except me. I remember every death. And I am coming for you bastards.

Quote from: RogueGunslinger on June 27, 2009, 06:01:08 PM
Oh god no. No more wrong direction shit please.

I like movement delays.
QFTFT.

The current ride annoys me to no end.

I would be all for a delay, something, anything other then.

OMG SAND...STOP DEAD 3635535 TIMES.
move
sand
move
sand
move
sand
OMG EXACTLY THE SAME AS THE LAST ROOM BUT FOR NO REASON AT ALL REFUSE TO MOVE!!!!!

It is even worse when you have the class with the highest ride skill and surely have it maxed and even have riding gear and it STILL happens.
A gaunt, yellow-skinned gith shrieks in fear, and hauls ass.
Lizzie:
If you -want- me to think that your character is a hybrid of a black kryl and a white push-broom shaped like a penis, then you've done a great job

When did this change come in?
Now you're looking for the secret. But you won't find it because of course, you're not really looking. You don't really want to work it out. You want to be fooled.

Quote from: Jingo on June 27, 2009, 10:28:41 PM
When did this change come in?

Just the other day, or at least it feels that way, it was posted January 28, 2008:

http://www.zalanthas.org/gdb/index.php/topic,29504.0.html

For the record, the penalty for riding across rougher terrain can be overcome by using two hands on the reigns.  In order for a seasoned rider to really be affected by terrain they would need to be running their mount with neither hand free to use the reigns. 

That said, I agree that more failure options other than your mount refusing to move is an interesting idea.  What kind of things do you think would happen if you're riding a giant creature across uneven terrain without a hand on the reigns?
Morgenes

Producer
Armageddon Staff

You would get thrown or the beast would take longer to move. Those both seem the most playable. To get thrown, though, I would rather reserve for real troublesome situations. Most of the times, like 95% of the time, I would rather just see an additional delay for a failure to move the beast.

It might go in the wrong direction (though probably not over a cliff, into a pit, or wading in silt).
It might get fed up and decide to sit down and rest.
It might speed up or slow down.
It might see something edible and go after it.
The sword is sharp, the spear is long,
The arrow swift, the Gate is strong.
The heart is bold that looks on gold;
The dwarves no more shall suffer wrong.

I like the extra lag, and throwing ideas.  I'll try and wrap them in carefully so that things balance out pretty well, but balking totally will still be a possible outcome, just not nearly as often as before.  Feel free to keep throwing ideas here, I'll consider them.
Morgenes

Producer
Armageddon Staff

Quote from: Morgenes on June 28, 2009, 12:40:46 AM
I like the extra lag, and throwing ideas.  I'll try and wrap them in carefully so that things balance out pretty well, but balking totally will still be a possible outcome, just not nearly as often as before.  Feel free to keep throwing ideas here, I'll consider them.

Maybe just put a limit on the amount of times that balking totally can occur?

I've had it happen upwards of fifteen times on a 'road' room before.

I don't mind my mount refusing to move all that much, more the fact that it seems to happen a large amount of times in a row at certain skill levels.
And I vanish into the dark
And rise above my station

Maybe reins are used differently on zalanthus, but When I was learning to ride at like age 4, I was never taught to use two hands on the reins...matter of fact, using two hands is actually harder.

As to rough terrain, I cannot see as terrain on zalanthus can be any rougher then what we have in the hills and mountains of Arizona, where I live (check flickr for my pic) Where I ride often. Much of the riding is up and down, through washes, over or around ridges and rocks and still I use one hand on the reins, even my 58 year old mother who has been horseback maybe 4 times now in her life is capable of riding along with one hand in control of the reins without the horse deciding to stop every hundred feet or whatever.

Sometimes your mount might decide the route you want to take and the best route are different things, but we cannot have that in arm because it would move you an entire room out of the way. So, having a greater delay on a fail but still moving and in the right direction at least makes some kind of sense.
Lizzie:
If you -want- me to think that your character is a hybrid of a black kryl and a white push-broom shaped like a penis, then you've done a great job

June 28, 2009, 12:55:18 AM #19 Last Edit: June 28, 2009, 01:03:05 AM by jmordetsky
I think in and of itself - the system that determines a failure - is fine.  Rough terrain should make it harder - and realistic or not the requirement of two hands essentially forces you to be weapon-less, which I like as a penalty.

My only gripe is the constant typing of e...somtimes I just type e;e;e;e;e;e;e;e and watch the screen :). I type stop if I get fucked up. This way I can focus on emoting.

What might be cool is just an auto retry. Or even a move e; command that just walks you east.

My biggest issues is I'm following a dude along, he's an uber ranger and I'm 1 day old. I'm trying to emote and keep his life interesting as he rides along but I have to keep copy and pasting my says and emotes so I can e;e;e;e and keep up. Fragments the experience.

sorry for the messy - trying play and post.

www.j03m.com

Quote from: brytta.leofa on June 27, 2009, 11:47:03 PM
It might go in the wrong direction (though probably not over a cliff, into a pit, or wading in silt).
It might get fed up and decide to sit down and rest.
It might speed up or slow down.
It might see something edible and go after it.
I like these, as well. However, the going in the wrong direction should NEVER do more than get you off track, or get you near a beasty you didn't want to be near. It should NEVER drop you down cliffs or into pits or into silt, UNLESS you are fleeing on it, in which case --- accidents happen. Still, those should only happen at low ride levels.

Beasts reacting to various plants is also an awesome concept. But I'd rather see some of these things as scripts rather than hard coded ... thus, through scripts, you could correct (clear flags) before the animal did something.

The brown inix turns its head towards ~green

(is_mount_running)
(if_no)
(ride_skill_check)

fail: The brown inix stops to eat ~green; NPC stop
success: The brown inix grudgingly returns to its task.

These things would never happen if the mount was running, or you were fleeing. An animal knows as well as you do when it's in trouble. Fuck that plant then.

June 28, 2009, 09:53:02 AM #21 Last Edit: June 28, 2009, 09:58:55 AM by X-D
QuoteBeasts reacting to various plants is also an awesome concept

And VERY realistic...also the bane of newb riders IRL.

I once had a Huge red horse which I of course named Yoshi. Half shire half quarter, you felt like you should be in plate armor riding him. Anyway, I got him for $1000 when he was 3 years old. Why so cheap you ask, Well, as I said, he was a massive stallion with a mind of his own, nobody could control him. Not that he was mean or anything just that if you were riding along and he saw/smelled a patch of clover or nettles....thats the direction he was going to go.

If you did manage to get him going and he saw/smelled something else interesting in the distance you might find yourself in a very sudden gallop.

It was work to control and train him, but inside of two weeks I had him realizing who was boss in our relationship and he was easily the best horse I've owned our seen....Oh...still never used more then one hand on his reins and no spurs either...though there was a few times he had teeth marks on his ears:).

Oh, and thats another thing, Animals tend to have more brains on danger then we do, and good luck getting a beast to move towards what it considers danger. When you see movies showing cowboys riding 3 feet from a cliff...these are normaly specialy trained animals. Ride off a cliff...HA!, good luck...its something I've always wondered about in arm, do the animals simply have death wishes or something?
Lizzie:

Isn't one hand used for balance while riding? Maybe instead of thinking it as both hand on the reins, think of it as if one hand is busy holding a weapon or something else it isn't helping you balance as well?

Quote from: RogueGunslinger on June 28, 2009, 12:34:30 PM
Isn't one hand used for balance while riding? Maybe instead of thinking it as both hand on the reins, think of it as if one hand is busy holding a weapon or something else it isn't helping you balance as well?

For beginner riders yes. If you know how to ride a horse, DECENTLY, you only need one hand. All commands and balance, at least with my training irl, are done with the legs.
Quote from: roughneck on October 13, 2018, 10:06:26 AM
Armageddon is best when it's actually harsh and brutal, not when we're only pretending that it is.

Balance...how?

I mean, if it was bareback maybe, but even then, native americans used to be able to do some crazy things mounted with only reins to control the animal.

But if you have all the normal trappings (which some mounts have in desc so I assume virtual) Balance is done with the legs, the same as walking.
Lizzie: