Expanding Mercy / Critical Position

Started by mansa, June 18, 2009, 02:55:03 PM

June 19, 2009, 12:19:56 AM #25 Last Edit: June 19, 2009, 01:26:44 AM by mansa
I wouldn't want 50% hp, but rather something like 20% hit points.

...if we were to put a delay into moving speed.

There's also this suggestion from Krath, about when Mercy is on, it prevents massive hits to characters that instant kills them, evenmoreso than currently coded:
http://www.zalanthas.org/gdb/index.php/topic,34849.0.html

Also in that thread is the idea that:

if mercy is on, "critical attacks" during combat do not resolve.   i.e. if you pick up something from the ground, and your opponent has mercy on, it will not have the extra attack.
New Players Guide: http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,33512.0.html

Quote from: Morgenes on April 01, 2011, 10:33:11 PM
You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one

June 19, 2009, 04:35:26 AM #26 Last Edit: June 19, 2009, 05:00:36 AM by X-D
Morgs idea on 0 to -9 I like.

The movement one I don't like so much. Mostly because of coding and balance issues. Which I think would be very high.  

First you would have to balance it by race. Some races my slow more then other races when heavily wounded based on toughness...but many of the tougher races are slow already.

Then you have to take that and apply to all the npc races. Which I believe arm has more then a hundred of.

And in the end, what would it really do? Mostly you would be assured death when heavily over matched...and when you consider what the odds are of running into a npc that can do massive damage before you can even type flee and the odds of running into it on accident...also silly high because you cannot look diagonal. I see much more harm to playability, specialy for newbies then possible benefit. And its even worse right now because of the way ride works now and how many things suck stam from your PC.

Now, what I think would go really well with Morgs idea would be something...Let us call it "corner" skill/command.

It would be that if you are fighting somebody with mercy on you can turn "corner" on, if they drop below say 20%HP, and you are over say 50%HP, you will try and stop them from fleeing...you backed them between two rocks or some walls, whatever. If they try to flee they get the corner message. This lets them know that you intend interaction so they can disengage, if they do you automaticaly disengage as well.
Of course they can try and flee again or later if they wish but this starts combat again. Some classes/races would be better at this then others of course, but all would have the ability.
A gaunt, yellow-skinned gith shrieks in fear, and hauls ass.
Lizzie:
If you -want- me to think that your character is a hybrid of a black kryl and a white push-broom shaped like a penis, then you've done a great job

While we're talking on mercy, can we get rid of that part of the mercy code where the guy is unconscious, there's a pause, and the attacker (with mercy on) kills the guy because he failed the mercy check? I don't think it's really possible IRL to accidentally hit someone again when they're unconscious.

Movement speed seems to be an OK thing, IMHO. I don't think it has to be too severe, just enough to make it possible to catch up with the guy. But I like X-D's corner idea more.
Quote from: Rahnevyn on March 09, 2009, 03:39:45 PM
Clans can give stat bonuses and penalties, too. The Byn drop in wisdom is particularly notorious.

June 19, 2009, 11:31:00 AM #29 Last Edit: June 19, 2009, 11:32:52 AM by 5 day lifespan
This would certainly make assassins bad ass...

An underpowered and little used class, IIRC   ;)

However, it will give me the time to stab, gloat over you while monologing, then finish you off.  Now i just need a cape...
You'll never find a more wretched hive of scum and villany.  Except for maybe Allanak."

-Anonymous

The fewer monologues that are spoken, the better Arm is.
Quote from: Fathi on March 08, 2018, 06:40:45 PMAnd then I sat there going "really? that was it? that's so stupid."

I still think the best closure you get in Armageddon is just moving on to the next character.

Quote from: a strange shadow on June 19, 2009, 11:23:44 AM
>disengage

With disengage, which is an excellent addition to the code, people _can_ still run away.
I want to create a situation where they cannot, but can also have the ability to roleplay along with me.
New Players Guide: http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,33512.0.html

Quote from: Morgenes on April 01, 2011, 10:33:11 PM
You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one

Quote from: mansa on June 19, 2009, 11:57:32 AM
With disengage, which is an excellent addition to the code, people _can_ still run away.
I want to create a situation where they cannot, but can also have the ability to roleplay along with me.

We really still do need "threaten," a sort of inverse of "guard."
The sword is sharp, the spear is long,
The arrow swift, the Gate is strong.
The heart is bold that looks on gold;
The dwarves no more shall suffer wrong.

Quote from: brytta.leofa on June 19, 2009, 12:46:00 PM
Quote from: mansa on June 19, 2009, 11:57:32 AM

We really still do need "threaten," a sort of inverse of "guard."

So very badly.
If you gaze for long enough into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

www.j03m.com