Cremation?

Started by Salt Merchant, June 17, 2009, 07:10:19 AM

It is clear that burial of their dead is not a common practise among commoners, at least in Allanak. But would some families pay to have a departed family member cremated and keep the ashes?

If so, could some means of building a pyre and collecting the ashes be provided please?

I think it would be an awesome thing to see an urn kept on display in a Kadian mansion for example, and be told that it holds the ashes of some well-remembered Kadian of years past. Perhaps this could be done even for templars.
Lunch makes me happy.

There IS a place in Allanak where cremation or burning of a body can be provided for a funeral.  Seen it happen (actually happened to a previous character of yours, if I remember right).  I kinda wouldn't see commoners using it, but I'd be very pleased to see it put to more use.  Might actually make the practice of cremation more common.
Quote from: Dalmeth
I've come to the conclusion that relaxing is not the lack of doing anything, but doing something that comes easily to you.

Just get a pot and collect virtual ashes.

Quote from: Marauder Moe on June 17, 2009, 09:01:43 AM
Just get a pot and collect virtual ashes.

I don't mean to be snarky, but shouldn't it be obvious that if I wanted virtual ashes (and a virtual funeral pyre to go with them), I wouldn't have asked to have it codedly implemented?
Lunch makes me happy.

June 17, 2009, 09:23:43 AM #4 Last Edit: June 17, 2009, 09:25:44 AM by Marauder Moe
*shrug*

You didn't actually say the word "coded" anywhere in your original post.

I think you can have a coded funeral pyre, actually.  Just no coded ashes object.

EDIT: What I mean to say is that there's nothing stopping you from cremating an important person, displaying an urn in the mansion, and telling people it's full of their ashes.

You could put a charred meat object in it  ::)  And some bones.
Former player as of 2/27/23, sending love.

I think cremation makes a lot of sense in Zalanthas.

• Fire is less expensive than water
  • It's less effort than carrying a corpse to Meleth's circle or outside the gates
  • No evidence

As for keeping the remains in an urn? Probably more likely for middle-upper class Zalanthans. What commoner would want to keep a jug of ashes? Other than a baby-eating sorcerer, of course.

I've seen a commoner get cremated, with some staff assistance. I cried when I saw some hidden stuff on the body get cremated too.

Heh, a small difference from Zalanthas to RL... why would they want to keep ashes? If I lived in a world with evil magicks, I do not want to keep the body of my best friend lying around anywhere, or even the charred remains. Burning it would be the most noble thing I could do, so that it would keep them from becoming undead. Scattering their ashes to the wind means that no magick could ever harm them again. There's no spiritualism here anyway, no life after death. Just.. unlife.
Quote from: Rahnevyn on March 09, 2009, 03:39:45 PM
Clans can give stat bonuses and penalties, too. The Byn drop in wisdom is particularly notorious.

I saw a commoner get cremated, too. It was cool.

Ah, Sergeant Axel...  :'(
Quote from: nessalin on July 11, 2016, 02:48:32 PM
Trunk
hidden by 'body/torso'
hides nipples

Cremation, by the way, is the most respectful sort of treatment a person can get in Allanak.
The sword is sharp, the spear is long,
The arrow swift, the Gate is strong.
The heart is bold that looks on gold;
The dwarves no more shall suffer wrong.

Quote from: brytta.leofa on June 18, 2009, 12:29:10 AM
Cremation, by the way, is the most respectful sort of treatment a person can get in Allanak.

Cause it needs to be repeated.
A staff member sends you:
"Normally we don't see a <redacted> walk into a room full of <redacted> and start indiscriminately killing."

You send to staff:
"Welcome to Armageddon."

The number one reason I think cremation would be done, at least at a city level, is disease. I believe the cities come with their a ready made fire up the bodies location for this purpose.
The funny little foreign man

I often hear the jingle to -Riunite on ice- when I read the estate name Reynolte, eve though there ain't no ice in Zalanthas.