Losing Interest in a Character

Started by Tired, June 11, 2003, 12:55:19 AM

I've come to a point where my character seems stagnant. I start the character enthusiastic, logging on each day excited and anxious to see what happens the next day, or what will happen, or what I can do or find, or die to. But what do you do? Play it out? Take a break? I've already tried having my character do things differently, played a different aspect of the same concept, trying to... snag my interest again, but nothing seems to be working. Its like im playing for the sake of playing... more like habit then wanting to.

And I dont think its right to do that. But also I dont think its right to request to have a character retired for that reason. I havent even been playing a good deal of time. This seems to happen more and more with each character. I decide on a great concept, make the character and... the best way I could put it is that I burn the character out out so to speak. Like I do so much background and thought behind the character, fleshing out many small things like how the character would nod, or how its face would react when he/she saw something gross; philosophies towards things, family members, all this stuff that would seemingly make the character funner and easy to play. But then after maybe a couple weeks of great playing with good interaction and development its like all my gas is gone, and I get to the point where Im just sputtering along, all my actions seem the same, all the people I interact with seem the same, its like playing the same day over and over again. But that is what my character would be doing. Its just become boring to play, and attempts to spice it up seem outlandish and not right for the character.

So, im in a rut with a fairly short lived character. I dont feel that it should be retired, and I certainly dont want them to die. I also dont want to take a break from Armageddon. I love playing when Im not in a rut. I enjoy it very much. Just.... I dont know. Thats why Im writing this I guess because I need suggesstions, advice, because I think this is not an unusual problem...

Sincerely,
Tired.

I had a burnout happen with a previous character...I went and got the charcter involved in other things.  Everything picked up and I started enjoying the character immensely.  It all comes down to what's going on...if nothing is, make something, or find where something else is happening.
Quote from: MalifaxisWe need to listen to spawnloser.
Quote from: Reiterationspawnloser knows all

Quote from: SpoonA magicker is kind of like a mousetrap, the fear is the cheese. But this cheese has an AK47.

Maybe try to wing it more? deciding beforehand light traits like twirlign locks of hair, biting their lip, or shrugging alot might be just overplanning for you if youre experiencing a bit of burnout

I did write up a background (which, for my current char, the bg wasnt very good, .and. was lame) but have developed small habits, his personality, and a few more background developments through playing him. (the bg should be planned though, but little thigns, eh)
Veteran Newbie

Most of you are gonna look at me like a spiced up halfling from now on but what I do.. I started Solo Rping my head off. That doesnt mean being alone though. I "think" more than I emote, thinking things about people and situations is fun. And suddenly your char starts thinking of things they want to do. And you do them. It draws me into the char till im not the player anymore and dont even think in ooc (or least I pretend not to). I found that once I did this the world really opened up, and I knew I would never be left without something to do. And I havent been  :D
A single death is a tragedy, a million deaths is a statistic.  Zalanthas is Armageddon.

First off, I have the attention span of a... crap, where was I taking this.

Right, getting bored.  I've had this happen to me a few times, and man, it sucks.  Let's just keep retirement out of the 'option' pile, though... I regret to this day my one retirement.  Unless you've played the character for hellacious amounts of time, you don't want to retire.  There'll always be that little wisp in the back of your mind saying, "I wonder where he/she/it'd gone if I'd only stayed."

Things to put life back in... I agree with Dakkon about Solo RP'ing it up.  It really, really helps in my experience.  It's like... stoking a fire when it starts to gutter.  It also provides you with a lot of opportunities to make other PC's think "What the bloody fek is/has that guy doing/done" which can provide some much needed comic relief for you, the player.  For an example, say you're solo rp'ing in the Gaj firepits... you're bored off your patootey, trying to catch one of those red eyed rats and cook him slowly.  He darts in front of the fire, you leap at him and miss, your aba rolling in to the flames, or for some massive RP healing time and comic relief, your hair gets the spark.  You stand up, scream, and go running through the Gaj past a table of Bynners and Joe Templar who's on patrol.

n (running wildly past a drunken bynner, screaming in pain as his hair is ablaze and trailing foul smelling smoke as he pushes out of the tarp)

A:  It's not too stilly stupid outrageous if it's a serious thing and you RP out the healing process.
B:  It will give you a new story to tell with your pc
C:  It will make every single PC in that bar sit up and go "What the..." and will probably lead to more than a few encounters with random folks that may prove interesting or open you to a plotline.

Another way to breathe some life in is to somehow break your character's 'code' or belief system... give them some moral/ethical problem to deal with.  Even if it's visible to no one but you, it will help increase the most important atmosphere in the game.  Yours.

And there's always the tried and true "Make an enemy of your best friend."
Instant RP, Instant Nemesis, Instant Fun.  Or, just go testicles to the tentacles, and turn find a reason that your character would just totally snap and turn traitor... piss some nobles off, slap a templar, and then see if you can make it to the gates.  If you do, I almost guarantee you that your heart will start beating in sync with the flow of the text.

Turning to the side and spitting a wad of phlegm on to the paisley silk of Lady HardBosom's evening ground before returning your eyes to the smarmy, toady-eyed templar, you say, in sirihish;
  "You know, I've got a few things to say about your damn HighLord."

Good times, Good times.
Yes. Read the thread if you want, or skip to page 7 and be dismissive.
-Reiloth

Words I repeat every time I start a post:
Quote from: Rathustra on June 23, 2016, 03:29:08 PM
Stop being shitty to each other.

If everyone just wants to pretend that I actually typed 'gown' instead of 'ground' I would be so, so cool with that.

If not, we're going to have some very strange noble fashion styles soon, I think.

The buff, noble dude stands here, sporting a snazzy jacket of red clay.
-Reiloth

There's an edit button, Malifaxis, just so you know.

To address the original question, I have some advice.  It won't help you now, but for your next character try a dwarf.  Make sure you choose a good focus, and before you start think through everything you'll have to do to achieve it.  This way, you'll always have something to work toward.
I like dwarves.

Quote from: "Gorobei"There's an edit button, Malifaxis, just so you know.
Malifaxis has told me that he will not use the edit button.  He does not edit.
Quote from: MalifaxisWe need to listen to spawnloser.
Quote from: Reiterationspawnloser knows all

Quote from: SpoonA magicker is kind of like a mousetrap, the fear is the cheese. But this cheese has an AK47.

Malifaxis does not edit, because Malifaxis does not think the edit button works.  Once, after making a typo, Malifaxis tried to use the edit button, and what resulted was a poll so scary that not even Malifaxis himself will mention it in polite conversation.

We thank you for listening,
-Malifaxis.
-Reiloth

Oh, there's a reason why you keep roleplaying long after you get bored - Armageddon is drugs.

What I recommend, try it once, is to take some time off, relax a bit.  During that time, try to come up with a focus, almost identical to a Dwarf's focus, unless you are not one.  The major difference here is that this focus will not be as fundamental to your nature, it's more of a plan than fanatical task of Dwarves.

Put a lot of planning into it, try to flush out the plan as realisitically as possible, of course using your knowledge of the game to accomplish it.  Once you have a list of tasks, break down each of those and think of how you will accomplish it, how you will measure it once completed.

Then work on that plan.  Find people who are sympathetic or useful, find a way to enlist their services.

It's hella hard, but just think if you actually accomplish your plan.

Join us... It's bliss. Here at the Cult of Zalanthas we teach you all the things you need to know to get to the afterlife! Staring blankly at a piece of machinery for hours on end while making strange motions with your fingers! Fasting on a regular basis! And most importantly abandoning all social ties to the real world! Congratulations, welcome to the Cult of Zalanthas. Enjoy your stay here!  :shock:  :shock:  :shock:  :shock:

The edit button only messes up polls when you edit a post you made with a poll in it. It works just fine editing posts you make in other threads.

Creeper
21sters Unite!

Oh, no no Creeper, if he used the edit button here, a poll would pop up, with nine choices alltogher, three "i'm stupid, click this one"'s, two "yes this is the best idea evar!"'s, and four "shut up noob"'s. The edit button is Malifaxis's bane :D