Riding idea.

Started by RogueGunslinger, June 06, 2009, 12:54:21 AM

Riding isn't hard, but it can certainly take a toll on your legs, and become very tiresome over a period of time. A new rider should experience cramped legs, thigh-sores and a stiff back and neck, all things I think could be represented by stamina loss. For no reason should your mount not move along with all the other bynners mounts while out on patrol. Animals like to move with eachother.

What if, instead of being an all or nothing 'you move or you don't move at all' if Ride reflected real life. Where it's not hard to get the beast to move, but instead, the better you get at riding, the less stamina you lose while traveling long distances, until it gets to the point in which you don't lose stamina at all, and even start to gain it while mounted.

yea, i like it, but at some point your stamina loss should be capped. I can't imagine a situation where you would actually tire out before your mount. but then how do you reflect rough terrain? even more stamina loss on your mount? :( that would be bad.

Yeah, stamina loss capped. And some HP loss from falling off your mount early on ;D Lol, kidding. I have no riding skill IRL, but never fell off any mounts.
Quote from: Rahnevyn on March 09, 2009, 03:39:45 PM
Clans can give stat bonuses and penalties, too. The Byn drop in wisdom is particularly notorious.

All this would do is make it tougher on newbie characters.

Already tough enough, thanks.
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: SmuzI come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: VanthSynthesis, you scare me a little bit.

Actually, I see it helping them. Better to ride a ways than to not be able to ride at all was my line of thinking.

I wouldn't be opposed, but I'd want the effects to be pretty modest, for short or medium trips. Characters doing a trans-world jaunt in an hour or two? Make it effect them as much as you want.
So if you're tired of the same old story
Oh, turn some pages. - "Roll with the Changes," REO Speedwagon

Quote from: Synthesis on June 06, 2009, 02:41:14 PM
All this would do is make it tougher on newbie characters.

i don't see how it would make it tougher unless they are riding out alone. Then the 40 or so stamina they would have instead of 100 would be a detriment if they lose their mount. Otherwise this seems to make it easier because they can actually STAY with the group they are riding with instead of being constantly left behind or waited on. during which time they truly do feel like a total noob.

My two 'sid states that riding should take away one stamina per room.
Quote from: Cutthroat on September 30, 2008, 10:15:55 PM
> forage artifacts

You find a rusty, armed landmine and pick it up.

Quote from: Delstro on June 06, 2009, 06:01:59 PM

I agree with this, but I don't think it should go below 60-70%.
As well if you are down to <10% stam, you should be able to get back up to 25-35% while riding.
Quote from: Twilight on January 22, 2013, 08:17:47 PMGreb - To scavenge, forage, and if Whira is with you, loot the dead.
Grebber - One who grebs.

Quote from: Delstro on June 06, 2009, 06:01:59 PM
No matter whether the mount is running, walking or sneaking.
Quote from: MalifaxisWe need to listen to spawnloser.
Quote from: Reiterationspawnloser knows all

Quote from: SpoonA magicker is kind of like a mousetrap, the fear is the cheese. But this cheese has an AK47.

Small stamina loss when riding skill is low.

Stamina gain (slightly less than when sitting down) when riding skill is high...and the mount is well-trained.
The sword is sharp, the spear is long,
The arrow swift, the Gate is strong.
The heart is bold that looks on gold;
The dwarves no more shall suffer wrong.

Quote from: brytta.leofa on June 06, 2009, 07:14:38 PM

Stamina gain (slightly less than when sitting down) when riding skill is high...and the mount is well-trained.

I dig this.
Quote from: Twilight on January 22, 2013, 08:17:47 PMGreb - To scavenge, forage, and if Whira is with you, loot the dead.
Grebber - One who grebs.

Quote from: FantasyWriter on June 06, 2009, 07:21:45 PM

I dig this.
HELL YES.
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

Quote from: Ami on November 23, 2010, 03:40:39 PM
>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870

Quote from: The7DeadlyVenomz on June 06, 2009, 07:36:23 PM
HELL YES.

My thoughts exactly.

Hell. Yes.
We were somewhere near the Shield Wall, on the edge of the Red Desert, when the drugs began to take hold...

Quote from: RogueGunslinger on June 06, 2009, 12:54:21 AM
Riding isn't hard...
If you're working with a domesticated and trained animal, sure. I don't think it should be easy to ride some of the beasts who were raised in the wild, and not bred in the city.
Quote from: Fathi on March 08, 2018, 06:40:45 PMAnd then I sat there going "really? that was it? that's so stupid."

I still think the best closure you get in Armageddon is just moving on to the next character.

I wish taming mounts was more complicated than a one time dice roll.
Grebber - One who grebs.

Personally, I like the way it is. May I be burned at the stake for saying so, but...

Having grown up riding horses, it's not always easy to get them moving. If you don't know what you're doing, or the horse is stubborn, there's a good chance you're not doing -anything- or maybe just going the wrong way.

If anything, I think it would be interesting to see the animal go the opposite way of what you tell it. Paying more sid for a better trained animal would be neat. And the longer someone rides a certain one...the better trained it would become.

All very complicated though. Possibly not something to tangle with. I don't think ride should take stamina though, somewhat defeats the purpose of getting a mount at all. Although we do want the game to be as realistic as possible...pains and cramps are something I think are better left for rp.

I do find the "your mount refuses to move" to be the most annoying thing ever. At least it's not so bad anymore. But if it could be done away with completely and some other method of showing failure put in instead that would be swell. I don't think stamina loss is the answer. It does sort of defeat the purpose. I don't think it could be properly reflected with a character who has 100 stamina. One point per five rooms or something would make more sense I think, but at that rate it would just be silly.
History will be kind to me for I intend to write it.
-Winston Churchill

Quote from: The7DeadlyVenomz on June 06, 2009, 07:36:23 PM
Quote from: FantasyWriter on June 06, 2009, 07:21:45 PM

I dig this.
HELL YES.

That was, indeed, the original idea in the first post...

I've long through it silly that I can go get tired walking around, fighting, foraging and whatnot, but never gain back any points of stamina while I'm sitting on a beast and riding it back to town.  I'm totally for this idea.

Quote from: RogueGunslinger on June 06, 2009, 11:32:58 PM

That was, indeed, the original idea in the first post...

Oh, heh.  Yeah.  Sorry. :D
The sword is sharp, the spear is long,
The arrow swift, the Gate is strong.
The heart is bold that looks on gold;
The dwarves no more shall suffer wrong.

No worries. It was worded subtly, or something.

Riding isn't hard, but it can certainly take a toll on your legs, and become very tiresome over a period of time. A new rider should experience cramped legs, thigh-sores and a stiff back and neck, all things I think could be represented by stamina loss. For no reason should your mount not move along with all the other bynners mounts while out on patrol. Animals like to move with eachother.

What if, instead of being an all or nothing 'you move or you don't move at all' if Ride reflected real life. Where it's not hard to get the beast to move, but instead, the better you get at riding, the less stamina you lose while traveling long distances, until it gets to the point in which you don't lose stamina at all, and even start to gain it while mounted.

Like it. Love the group mount thing. I would love if n00b riders only paused ala your mount refuses to move when *not* following a leader. Byn trips would get faster, but n00b riders would still suck it alone. I guess learning to ride well would take longer.
If you gaze for long enough into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

www.j03m.com

Don't like it.

Training the ride skill isn't a big deal unless you're an ubernoob.

And if you're an ubernoob, chances are you have bigger problems than learning how to train ride.

This idea gets two "mehs" up from me.
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: SmuzI come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: VanthSynthesis, you scare me a little bit.