Disconnect tags to your ldesc

Started by Majikal, May 29, 2009, 04:25:10 PM

Simple enough, I think it'd get rid of a fear I have when my internet isn't looking so trustworthy. I always have the scary thought of someone catching my uninhabited pc chilling in the wilderness without weapons drawn and pumping him full of arrows or throwing down some 'mon un fuck you up' . Something folks wouldn't do (at least I hope not) if they were able to realize you were linkdead. I'm pretty sure this has been brought up or something similar in the past, thoughts?
A staff member sends you:
"Normally we don't see a <redacted> walk into a room full of <redacted> and start indiscriminately killing."

You send to staff:
"Welcome to Armageddon."

The obvious arguments against this are that it's jarring and OOC, and that it would actually -attract- other people who would try to prey on you -because- they knew you were linkdead.  There are other more subtle arguments, but the most interesting one is that, depending on what type of network event you're suffering from, ginka may not actually -know- you're linkdead for a while...

Ideas have been proposed like this one in the past and, in truth, I'm not sure how I feel about it overall.

-- X

I would like this if the tag was a symbol, like an asterisk or dash.

Something less obvious and jarring than the tall, muscular man is standing here [LINKDEAD]

but but mai immerzion
"You will have useful work: the destruction of evil men. What work could be more useful? This is Beyond; you will find that your work is never done -- So therefore you may never know a life of peace."

~Jack Vance~

Couldn't you append it to an 'assess -v man', or even 'look', at the end of their 'They are carrying: Nothing obvious. They are linkdead."

This way 'yur immerzion' would be protected like a constitutional right, but those who are curious as to why this person is blowing them off will realize it's due to OOC reasons. And also, those that commit acts of violence after discovering this fact will be prosecuted like jugglers during the Inquisition. Without quarter.
"You will have useful work: the destruction of evil men. What work could be more useful? This is Beyond; you will find that your work is never done -- So therefore you may never know a life of peace."

~Jack Vance~

Yeah, I like the idea of putting it into assess or something much better.

-- X

Yar, I'd be all for a symbol tagged onto their sdesc/ldesc, something small and out of the way. Though if it was compromised between emmerzzzzzzions and ooc notifaction tagging it onto look/assess would be just as awesome.
"Normally we don't see a <redacted> walk into a room full of <redacted> and start indiscriminately killing."

You send to staff:
"Welcome to Armageddon."

Rule of thumb: if you attack a PC or start pumping them with arrows and they don't respond or run, they're probably linkdead.

Anyone who intentionally attacks a linkdead person should have to rp cleaning Nessalin's dark cave for a whole IC day.

Now, as then, the #1 problem is that ginka usually can't tell when people lose link.

However, I am in full support of implementing code that CRUSHES THE NUTS of anyone who messes with someone who's linkdead.

P.S. Sorry about it to that one guy in that one place, but I was backstab lagged and forgot about the disengage command.
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: SmuzI come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: VanthSynthesis, you scare me a little bit.

I'm in the camp of folks who wouldn't like it featured in ldesc, but I -love- the idea of having it show up in assess -v or look.

Also... any chance we could get the current "soandso has lost link" echo to show up over the Way, if it's someone you're actively contacting? Pretty pretty please?
And I vanish into the dark
And rise above my station

Quote from: Fathi on May 29, 2009, 09:45:00 PM
I'm in the camp of folks who wouldn't like it featured in ldesc, but I -love- the idea of having it show up in assess -v or look.

Same here.

Quote from: Fathi on May 29, 2009, 09:45:00 PM
Also... any chance we could get the current "soandso has lost link" echo to show up over the Way, if it's someone you're actively contacting? Pretty pretty please?

PLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEASE! I had like a week long connection issue a while back, and it is quite embarassing to repeatedly ask people t repeat themseves over they way... and you sound like a idiot of they hadn't actually said anything.
Quote from: Twilight on January 22, 2013, 08:17:47 PMGreb - To scavenge, forage, and if Whira is with you, loot the dead.
Grebber - One who grebs.

Quote from: FantasyWriter on May 30, 2009, 02:56:59 AM
PLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEASE! I had like a week long connection issue a while back, and it is quite embarassing to repeatedly ask people t repeat themseves over they way... and you sound like a idiot of they hadn't actually said anything.

The worst part is when you get this...

A foreign presence contacts your mind.

<connection lost, reconnect>

You sense a foreign presence withdraw from your mind.

You can't even tell who it was so that you could ask them to repeat themselves. And the party on the other end has no idea you were linkdead.
And I vanish into the dark
And rise above my station

That happens to me so much... :/
Rickey's Law: People don't want "A story". They want their story.

Instead of a disconnect ldesc tag, could it just work like gone? Like, if you try to interact with one, via the Way or just with an emote, it'll echo that they're disconnected.

And I'd appreciate it if the code simply disabled stealing or attacking characters that have been idle/disconnected for over 15 minutes. It shouldn't be done at all anyway.

When I was playing a pickpocket once, it was nearly impossible to tell whether a person was being linkdead or just idling, because I played off peak, when a lot of people just sit around and idle, looking at the internets or something while waiting for some delay to wear off or something.
Quote from: Rahnevyn on March 09, 2009, 03:39:45 PM
Clans can give stat bonuses and penalties, too. The Byn drop in wisdom is particularly notorious.

While sparring with someone they dropped link and in doing so it disengaged our fight, not sure if it was a bug but it was good to see something like that happen. All together halting interaction  (violent interaction) with someone that's linkdead is my primary concern in the thread. Maybe if there could be a 'they're not here right now' when you try to shoot/stab/smash/kick/cast/contact someone who's gone/linkdead I think it'd be great all around.

You send to staff:
"Welcome to Armageddon."

The tall, muscular man is standing here.
A bag lies here, not telling the truth.  Next to it, the tall, muscular man is standing with his arms crossed in an homage to Brytta's ldesc idea which was posted on the GDB and was really quite clever, don't you think?  Oh look, there's still spaces left for this bag ldesc.  What else shall we say?  Uh.  The bag.  It's very bag-like.  Baggy, one might say.

>attack man

"They're not here right now.  If you continue with the attack, your actions will be weighed very carefully by staff who may wtfpwn you.  Continue? y/n"

>N

"Would you like to leave 'man' a message?  Press 1 to leave a way-page.  Press 2 to leave your s-desc.  Press 3 to leave a message."

>3

"Please enter your message after the *beep*"

"BEEP"

>Uh, dear tall, muscular man.  I wanted to kill you so bad.  But I didn't.  I hope you starve while LD.  I'll check back later for your boots.  Bye.

"Thank you for using the automated way-answering-machine service.  Remember to refill your waying card at your local GMH and have a nice day."

>think That was lame.

>attack man

"They're not here right now.  If you continue with the attack, your actions will be weighed very carefully by staff who may wtfpwn you.  Continue? y/n"

>N

"Would you like to leave 'man' a message?  Press 1 to leave a way-page.  Press 2 to leave your s-desc.  Press 3 to leave a message."

>0

"You have selected to speak with a Highlord.  You will be connected with the next available Highlord."

>think Sweet.

"All Highlords are currently helping other Zalanthans and are currently unavailable.  Please stay on the way and you will be contacted in the order which your way was received.  We appreciated your patience and thank you for waying."

>think Sigh.

Perky yet repetitive Muarki music begins to play in your head.

>think Oh Krath help me, that's a hit from ... what ... before the Copper War?  If I have to listen to "My Gwoshi Brings All the Nomads to the Wagon" one more time ...

Three days pass.

>think You know, I'm starting to like this song.

Three more days pass.

>think Myyyyy Gwoooooshi brriiiiings all the noooomads to the wagon!  And they're like, I'll trade you a flagon!  Damn right, it's better than a dragon!  I'd sell you one, but it's illegal.

>emote jives and dances to the music in his head

The tall, muscular man blinks, opening his eyes.

The tall, muscular man attacks you, doing horrendous damage.

"Hello, this is Highlord Adhira, thank you for waiting.  How may I assist you today?"

>think Figures.

*beep*

Welcome to Armageddon.
Quote from: Synthesis
Quote from: lordcooper
You go south and one of the other directions that isn't north.  That is seriously the limit of my geographical knowledge of Arm.
Sarge?

I lawled.

You send to staff:
"Welcome to Armageddon."

I could see halting violent action with someone once their combat timer ends, but not before that.  Too easy to bail on a fight you're losing by dropping link, otherwise.

-- X

Quote from: Fathi on May 30, 2009, 03:04:17 AM
Quote from: FantasyWriter on May 30, 2009, 02:56:59 AM

The worst part is when you get this...

A foreign presence contacts your mind.

<connection lost, reconnect>

You sense a foreign presence withdraw from your mind.

You can't even tell who it was so that you could ask them to repeat themselves. And the party on the other end has no idea you were linkdead.

I'd imagine this would be lumped into the same category as:

Ginka can't tell if you're linkdead.

But Im still in favor for the large number of PCs that ginka CAN tell are linkdead.
Quote from: SynthesisI always thought of jozhals as like...reptilian wallabies.

Quote from: FiveDisgruntledMonkeysWitI pictured them as cute, glittery mini-velociraptors.
Kinda like a My Little Pony that could eat your face.

Quote from: Xygax on May 30, 2009, 11:03:04 AM
I could see halting violent action with someone once their combat timer ends, but not before that.  Too easy to bail on a fight you're losing by dropping link, otherwise.

-- X

That would be perfect, fixes the only real issue I could see.

You send to staff:
"Welcome to Armageddon."

Quote from: Xygax on May 30, 2009, 11:03:04 AM

What about halting violent action 15 minutes after they d/c? You can still get pwned by logging out in raptor territory.
Quote from: Rahnevyn on March 09, 2009, 03:39:45 PM
Clans can give stat bonuses and penalties, too. The Byn drop in wisdom is particularly notorious.

Krath Endorses this Modified Idea!
Quote from: roughneck on October 13, 2018, 10:06:26 AM
Armageddon is best when it's actually harsh and brutal, not when we're only pretending that it is.

Quote from: Krath on June 02, 2009, 11:30:03 AM
Krath Endorses this Modified Idea!

It's settled then.
Carpe Diem - Fish of the day