Short Lifespan

Started by HFactor, May 17, 2009, 03:08:11 AM

You know, it's a real pain in the arse to be unable to get a character to live more than three days, most of my deaths have been by PCs. The last one annoyed me the most, three people came into a locked room and attacked me straight out. Rooms are supposed to be fairly safe, not have random people barging in and killing you for no reason.
*Sung to Simple Plan's 'I'm Just a Kid'* I'm just a noob and the desert's a nightmare. I'm just a noob and I know that you don't care. Nobody cares because I'm digging in the pit and a party is going on upstairs!

In before lock.
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: SmuzI come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: VanthSynthesis, you scare me a little bit.

Been there. Done that.

Three is pretty sweet though. Someone must've REALLY hated you.
Quote from: IAmJacksOpinion on May 20, 2013, 11:16:52 PM
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.

Idk man, I have been in some high conflict, high consequence roles lately with some nasty people and still managed to live up to like 10 days PT.....most of my other characters that die quickly are because of stupid risks I take.
Respect. Responsibility. Compassion.

Quote from: Synthesis on May 17, 2009, 03:19:54 AM
In before lock.

I don't think they were in before the lock. As they closed the door from the other side and I locked it as it closed. Now they may have their own set of keys to the house, as every tenant seems to. But they shouldn't be able to access 'MY' apartment.
*Sung to Simple Plan's 'I'm Just a Kid'* I'm just a noob and the desert's a nightmare. I'm just a noob and I know that you don't care. Nobody cares because I'm digging in the pit and a party is going on upstairs!

I meant the thread, noobcakes.  :-*

Not to seem like a smart-ass, but check out 'help pick'. :)

Few places in Zalanthas are ever truly 'safe'.

:directs HFactor to my forum name:
You'll never find a more wretched hive of scum and villany.  Except for maybe Allanak."

-Anonymous

Lol, I sort of envy you. Nobody's ever tried to PK me.

Haha, what Synthesis meant is that this thread is going to killed for IC info.
Quote from: Rahnevyn on March 09, 2009, 03:39:45 PM
Clans can give stat bonuses and penalties, too. The Byn drop in wisdom is particularly notorious.

May 17, 2009, 07:24:16 AM #9 Last Edit: May 17, 2009, 07:28:19 AM by HTX
Wow, might want to take a look at what you're doing wrong then.

In my experience, your average (commoner) character won't usually try to PK you unless you REALLY piss them off, or they see some sort of gain in doing so, or you attempted/plotted to kill them first and they're killing you for survival.

If you pissed off someone important, that's, well, kind of asking for trouble. So at least you learned about the strict hierarchy which tends to be predominant in Zalanthas societies. Begging, sobbing and bribing, though, tends be extremely effective survival tactics if you get in these situations, from my experience.

Oh, and another lesson you learned: locked rooms = easy to get killed, even if it's your own room. In open, lawful areas, soldiers patrol the area, and will come to your aid if someone attacks you. This is all common knowledge. Play smart (trust no-one, be wary of locked rooms/enclosed areas, stay in lawful areas unless you have a lot of justification for not doing so, meet only in public, open areas, etc. etc. are all the common survival techniques most Zalanthians probably would be adhering to)... you'll be surprised how long your character can live if you take some precautions.

Review all your deaths, and try to figure out why you die so much. I used to have the problem of dying too much, then I realised why: pissing off templars and not begging/bribing enough, and sometimes trying to kill people, which like I said earlier, has a tendency to result in your enemy in turn going after you with lethal force. Not all conflict has to be fatal, or at least, at the start; in fact, you could argue that some of the funnest conflict comes from conflict where there isn't bodies constantly piling up (because once a character is dead, it's over, end of the story, and no-one likes the end of a good story).

And above all: throw away your Western mentality, and acknowledge that people on higher rungs of the social ladder are, well, not only more capable of having your character killed/put in a very bad situation, but honestly considered BETTER than you, sometimes for no other reason than been born in the right family. Life is cheap, and sometimes, you mess with the wrong person or simply are unlucky and end up dead in some back alleyway.

You'll be able to have characters living up to a year or more in no time once you get the hangs of things, assuming you're a newbie.

Quote from: SMuz on May 17, 2009, 05:47:25 AM
Lol, I sort of envy you. Nobody's ever tried to PK me.

I always hate it when people complain about being PK'd. I hate being killed by mobs so much that the few times I've been PK'd have made me enjoy the game a whole lot more.
Quote from: Gimfalisette
(10:00:49 PM) Gimf: Yes, you sentence? I sentence often.

Didn't they change it anyways so that apartment keys are changed often? To get rid of those lifetime burglers who had the key to every apartment in the game?

Quote from: HFactor on May 17, 2009, 03:08:11 AM
Rooms are supposed to be fairly safe, not have random people barging in and killing you for no reason.

Welcome to Armageddon.

Quote from: Vessol on May 17, 2009, 03:16:14 PM
Didn't they change it anyways so that apartment keys are changed often? To get rid of those lifetime burglers who had the key to every apartment in the game?

The newer apartments don't even let you take the key out of the complex. Its automatically given back to the clerk on your way out.
Quote from: SynthesisI always thought of jozhals as like...reptilian wallabies.

Quote from: FiveDisgruntledMonkeysWitI pictured them as cute, glittery mini-velociraptors.
Kinda like a My Little Pony that could eat your face.

Quote from: Sokotra on May 17, 2009, 05:17:13 PM
Quote from: HFactor on May 17, 2009, 03:08:11 AM
Rooms are supposed to be fairly safe, not have random people barging in and killing you for no reason.

Welcome to Armageddon.

This one says it best.  Just try to have fun with it.  for me 70% of the fun is these intense moments when you're gripping your keyboard and gritting your teeth.  True, my girlfriend thinks I'm crazy. 
Was that the rapture!?

I'd send a report to the staff just in case they don't know that there is a band busting into rooms and killing peeps.

That said, that's about the only type of apartment killing I'd like to see.
Now you're looking for the secret. But you won't find it because of course, you're not really looking. You don't really want to work it out. You want to be fooled.

Quote from: Jingo on May 17, 2009, 09:28:05 PM
I'd send a report to the staff just in case they don't know that there is a band busting into rooms and killing peeps.

That said, that's about the only type of apartment killing I'd like to see.

If I'm in -my- apartment, and -you- burglarize yourself through the door, please don't get upset if I kill you. Especially if you don't introduce yourself and offer to pay me rent.
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

Quote from: HTX on May 17, 2009, 07:24:16 AM

And above all: throw away your Western mentality, and acknowledge that people on higher rungs of the social ladder are, well, not only more capable of having your character killed/put in a very bad situation, but honestly considered BETTER than you, sometimes for no other reason than been born in the right family. Life is cheap, and sometimes, you mess with the wrong person or simply are unlucky and end up dead in some back alleyway.

This.  Most especially.  Learning how to avoid mobs, when and where to hunt, which nomad communities are easy pickings... that becomes easy in short order.  Putting away a life time of "Burden of proof," "Habeas Corpus," and Miranda laws aren't very easy for some people.  Impossible in fact, especially if you are a "take shit from no one" kind of person.  You can continue to write up "take shit from no one" type until you quit, or you get it into your head that, in order to survive, even half giants need to learn some manner of subtlety.  The "take no shit" types that I play usually do take that shit.  Then end up standing over a corpse a few months later.

I was once in a spot where my companion wanted to get uppity and I wanted to survive.  IRL friend or not, I would have cut him down in a second if the Noble in that scene would have given me a choice between both dying or just one.  In a second.  Because people with ideals in Zalanthas get cut down.  You stand for one ideal ever, and that is survival.
You'll never find a more wretched hive of scum and villany.  Except for maybe Allanak."

-Anonymous

Ah yes, seems like the gold old days are making  resurgence. Just avoid apartment complexes in general unless you can fucking pwn someone. Srsly, your talking to a guy that makes it a habit to only let his character live like 5 days. That said, you're probabl notgoing to get any answers about who bashed your shit in and ransacked the place.

And as far as the key thing goes *vessol* I just happened to see it fail miserably this last week and It took me forever to figure out what key I had on me. So, its easily possible for one long lived character to just go;

'Who you after? Ahhhh.. Nice fellow. He's in such-and-such apartment. Five small, here's your key.'

'Thanks.'

Pwnage begins. ;)

I wish more people dashed in and PKed me :(

People aren't PK'd in Tuluk, they simply never existed.
Rickey's Law: People don't want "A story". They want their story.

The last Tuluki who charged in and tried to PK me got a nasty surprise.   ;D

Protip: not everyone with a merchant's token is guild_merchant.

Quote from: Synthesis on May 18, 2009, 03:06:22 AM
The last Tuluki who charged in and tried to PK me got a nasty surprise.   ;D

Protip: not everyone with a merchant's token is guild_merchant.

I remember making a dash and stab in an apartment with my first tuluki assasin pc when I was so newbyish, I couldn't even emote properly at that time. The guy was wearing jewelry, silk cloak, silk pants and I remember thinking 'haha, softy!'. My first round of combat was promptly dodged, only to see him draw a two handed sword from his silk.. sash? Oocly it was ridiculous but I have no doubt that that a snapshot of my face would have been priceless. I was cut down in seconds, a 10-20 day assassin, by a silk pants wearing silky cloaked warrior of doom. I should have probably posted this on the stupidest player errors ever made thread...

/derail
A staff member sends you:
"Normally we don't see a <redacted> walk into a room full of <redacted> and start indiscriminately killing."

You send to staff:
"Welcome to Armageddon."

I've never been PK'ed. :(
Quote from: Twilight on January 22, 2013, 08:17:47 PMGreb - To scavenge, forage, and if Whira is with you, loot the dead.
Grebber - One who grebs.