Clans/roles for an off-peaker (Aussie)?

Started by HTX, May 12, 2009, 06:29:01 AM

Hey folk,

I've had a pretty long hiatus from this game (except for the occasional short-lived character) and I've been thinking of returning. Only problem is I'm a little bit off-peakish (Australian so my play-times are roughly, uhh, anywhere between 4AM and 10AM EST, except on Friday/Saturday when I've got plenty of time ... if my crappy conversions are correct), meaning I'd probably miss clan RPTs and interactions with clan leaders in your typical on-peak clan (except on holidays), judging from past experiences with clans.

So, what clans are good for Aussies, or even better, have off-peak and/or Aussie leaders? How's the game world these days, in which cities/locations are players tending to congregate? What roles are recommended for off-peak(ish) players? I'm willing to try pretty much anything, though I'm more inclined to playing criminal, (extremely) lower-class and the odd combat role.

From what I've seen Kadius seems to have a lot of people on off-peak nights in the North. Actually, north is general seems to have a lot of off-peakers. South a bit too, from what I've seen.

How long have you been gone so we can give you a full update?
The man asks you:
     "'Bout damn time, lol.  She didn't bang you up too bad, did she?"
The man says, ooc:
     "OG did i jsut do that?"

Quote from: Shalooonsh
I love the players of this game.
That's not a random thought either.

I haven't played in the major cities too recently, but I see plenty of people about in Luir's and, surprisingly enough, Red Storm during my play times, which are the same hours as yours.

Welcome the hell back.
And I vanish into the dark
And rise above my station

Any, I guess. I do play off peak too sometimes. Problem is that people tend to flip between roles, so even if Kadius is full of players this month, once they all die, all of them will probably join some other clan. Best bet is to go for a big, big one like the T'zai Byn or Salarr, where there's always been a clan member at all hours.
Quote from: Rahnevyn on March 09, 2009, 03:39:45 PM
Clans can give stat bonuses and penalties, too. The Byn drop in wisdom is particularly notorious.

Play what you want to play and draw all the other offpeakers into your clutches.
Quote from: SMuz on May 11, 2009, 08:01:05 AM
A lot of people hate getting randomly PK'ed

Quote from: tortall on May 12, 2009, 06:31:21 AMHow long have you been gone so we can give you a full update?

Hmm, looking at my logs it appears I haven't played regularly for... uh, about a year? Maybe a bit more?

I've been keeping an eye on the game and playing for brief spurts now and then so I think I've got a rough idea what's been happening in the in-game world (in terms of plots such as kanks dying out etc. etc.) so I'm not completely lost in that regard.

Thanks for the replies though, I'm starting to come up with some ideas for my next character.

I'm Aussie but am clueless to where the off-peakers hide out. Learn to love solo RP?
Free your hate.

Get a full update by reading what the staff have posted and by reading the history documentation on the board.  Don't let people like Tortall decide what you should know.
Quote from: MalifaxisWe need to listen to spawnloser.
Quote from: Reiterationspawnloser knows all

Quote from: SpoonA magicker is kind of like a mousetrap, the fear is the cheese. But this cheese has an AK47.

Yeah, tortall tried to sell me a badger one time, telling me it was a fluffy, bunny who won blue ribbons every year at the County Fair.

Hmm.. A few months ago there seemed to be a good number of off-peakers in Under Tuluk, if you're looking for a criminal. Of course, a few months is a long time to survive in a PK arena, so..

Otherwise, T'zai Byn is a good bet, as always.

Arm of the Dragon (southern militia. Not sure when they changed the clan name or whatever there) is spilling over right now ON peak. Dunno about off. That's basically a criminal / combat role combined!

And with merchant houses you can always go out and hunt if there's no one on. That's a nice positive, unlike the Byn or something that forces you to stay in the gates all the time.

Other than that, I'd just say to log on, sit your ass down in a bar, and count the cloaks walking through. Find out who's got the most and go for it!
Quote from: musashiengaging in autoerotic asphyxiation is no excuse for sloppy grammer!!!

Armageddon.org

Hmm, I have been playing off peak for ages. You only ever see the blue collar craftsman or the occasional House or house PC for the most part.

Although in all honesty I think my commitment is a bit threadbare at present, I appear regularly off peak but I never hang around long if there is nothing going on.

Hello there HTX, I'm quite precisely in your position. My advice would be to create a well-rounded character you feel you can have some fun acting on your own with, which can joint more than a few houses and which can survive for a some time without necessarily interacting with other PC:s. Then hang around the bars your usual playing time and watch for what insignias are the most common.

Good luck to you.

Quote from: Northlander on May 13, 2009, 11:45:43 AM\

Then hang around the bars your usual playing time and watch for what insignias are the most common.

Wonderful wonderful advice, Northlander.
Quote from: Twilight on January 22, 2013, 08:17:47 PMGreb - To scavenge, forage, and if Whira is with you, loot the dead.
Grebber - One who grebs.

Population clustering fluctuates and moves around quite often.  The clan that's hopping one week may be totally empty the next.  One solution is to sniff around ICly, to find out what's going on where, and how to get yourself involved, rather than asking OOCly.  When you ask OOCly, you're going to have people steering you toward one clan or another for OOC reasons.
Eastman: he came out of the east to do battle with The Amazing Rando!

P.S.  I deleted posts that were borderline flaming and off-topic.  Please keep it civil and on-topic, please.

Gah, come to MY clan, HTX!!!!111!!!111one!!111!

Seriously, good to hear you're back. Everyone's advice is good; the only sure way to gauge activity levels in the game is to actually get in there.
Quote from: nessalin on July 11, 2016, 02:48:32 PM
Trunk
hidden by 'body/torso'
hides nipples

Quote from: Niamh on May 13, 2009, 03:36:57 PMOne solution is to sniff around ICly, to find out what's going on where, and how to get yourself involved, rather than asking OOCly.

Problem with that is that it's much harder to get an idea of PC population in the whole game-world through IC means than OOC means. Especially since I can't ask ICly "how much activity is going on in Clan X these days?" since clans should always be bustling with VNPC activity, if not PC activity.

(Thanks for all those who remember me and gave me a warm welcome back though! Good to see the playerbase is still as warm and friendly as I remember it, generally speaking.)

It's difficult to give a definite determination of where the PC population is concentrated at any given time, because it fluctuates quite often.  Don't be afraid to ask around ICly about who's hiring, and who's doing what these days.  There aren't any areas that are truly "dead", because there is always going to be someone somewhere doing something.

Also, keep in mind that individual players playing in different areas at different times have different perspectives of what's going on in any one place.  Player A may tell you "Oh, clan XYZ has been hopping lately!" but they may currently be playing in a different area than that when they say that, and clan XYZ may only be hopping during hours when you aren't available to play.  Or perhaps clan XYZ suffered a large bout of loss since player A left that clan, and the population has dwindled down to one or two active players.  This is why I personally feel it's better to find out IC, because I feel it's the best way to find out what's happening.