Skills and Potential

Started by jcljules, April 26, 2009, 11:19:50 AM

Heh. Personally I'd say remove the stats, make them always average, and let the skills even it out.

Just last year, a 4 year old warrior with extremely high stats and maxed skills died to a 1 week old HG, and even before that happened, some imm ran arrow shooting gith that my 3 rl weeks old chara could've pwned in melee,  kept putting her to poor/terrible condition with a SINGLE (lucky) shot to the neck. The only untouchable person out there is someone who never logs on.
Peering into the darkness, your voice uncertain, you say, in sirihish:
     "You be wary, you lot. It ain' I who's locked 'p here with yeh. it's the whol
e bunch of youse that's locked down here with meh."

Quote from: SmashedTregil on April 26, 2009, 11:18:06 PM
Heh. Personally I'd say remove the stats, make them always average, and let the skills even it out.

Just last year, a 4 year old warrior with extremely high stats and maxed skills died to a 1 week old HG, and even before that happened, some imm ran arrow shooting gith that my 3 rl weeks old chara could've pwned in melee,  kept putting her to poor/terrible condition with a SINGLE (lucky) shot to the neck. The only untouchable person out there is someone who never logs on.

That all sounds awesome to me, keep the stats.

I actually wouldn't be totally opposed to this. I think it should be experience > score. It's kind of lame when a 20 day warrior with a mediocre score gets pwned by some 3 day one who has an incredible score. If scores were taken away, this issue would never happen. Also, we'd probably see a significantly less amount of suicides.

I'd have to agree with most of what Synthesis said. I highly disagree with assassins OHK-ing maxed out warriors though ;)

I find this game quite easy to grind skills with. Much, much easier than in every other game. It's hell at the start, and that's the fun part in every RPG, playing that you're having trouble getting better.

And it is incredibly difficult to max out. I'm not going to mention the coded reason why, but if you can kill every duskhorn in the game in one hit and if you do, chances are you're not going to OHK any mekillots. It is nearly impossible for a warrior to max his skills out, especially when he's already far superior to everyone around him.

And besides, there are plenty of long-lived characters. Why are they still not in the game? The only unstoppable character is a maxxed out sorceror, which is why magick is shunned both IC and OOC. (Even then, a really good assassin could probably kill one who's not on guard)
Quote from: Rahnevyn on March 09, 2009, 03:39:45 PM
Clans can give stat bonuses and penalties, too. The Byn drop in wisdom is particularly notorious.

Almost Smuz. The only unstoppable character is Tektolnes.
Quote from: IAmJacksOpinion on May 20, 2013, 11:16:52 PM
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.

I wouldn't like to see this change.
I tripped and Fale down my stairs. Drink milk and you'll grow Uaptal. I know this guy from the state of Tenneshi. This house will go up Borsail tomorrow. I gave my book to him Nenyuk it back again. I hired this guy golfing to Kadius around for a while.

Quote from: Riev on April 27, 2009, 03:19:31 AM
Pssh.. I could probably make a dwarf assassin whose focus is to kill Tek. But I bet the twink imms would respawn him immediately.
Clans can give stat bonuses and penalties, too. The Byn drop in wisdom is particularly notorious.

Great social skills + moderate combat skills trumps just about everything.
The sword is sharp, the spear is long,
The arrow swift, the Gate is strong.
The heart is bold that looks on gold;
The dwarves no more shall suffer wrong.

Social skill alone can make you the most powerful PC in the game.

I can think of some ridiculous, maxed out and then some, incredibly well connected, wealthy, and powerful characters who have met their doom to careful plotting and execution.

Who have also annihilated those that didn't take the time to do said careful plotting and executing.

This game is about people. Code only gets you so far.
<Morgenes> Dunno if it's ever been advertised, but we use Runequest as a lot of our inspiration, and that will be continued in Arm 2
<H&H> I can't take that seriously.
<Morgenes> sorry HnH, can't take what seriously?
<H&H>Oh, I read Runescape. Nevermin

Because it's totally ridiculous that a humanoid that could wield a small car be able squish whatever it was you were playing, amirite?

I don't see how your character even walked away from taking an arrow to the jugular.

Quote from: Riev on April 27, 2009, 03:19:31 AM

Incorrect.

The only unkillable character is Muk Utep.

Quote from: Qzzrbl on April 29, 2009, 01:11:48 PM

Because it's totally ridiculous that a humanoid that could wield a small car be able squish whatever it was you were playing, amirite?

I don't see how your character even walked away from taking an arrow to the jugular.

But an arrow to the jugular is only about 50 hp! I've taken worse wounds in sparring!
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: SmuzI come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: VanthSynthesis, you scare me a little bit.

Or, y'know, you guys could stop being so literal. If the character's still standing, the arrow clearly clipped the throat and went past, leaving a bleeding gash in its wake, or it hit at an angle and didn't pierce all the way through whatever neck armor the character was wearing. That seems a lot more conducive to believable roleplay than "NECK SHOT! OH, BUT I'M STILL STANDING!"

Geez.

Quote from: a strange shadow on April 29, 2009, 04:19:51 PM
Or, y'know, you guys could stop being so literal. If the character's still standing, the arrow clearly clipped the throat and went past, leaving a bleeding gash in its wake, or it hit at an angle and didn't pierce all the way through whatever neck armor the character was wearing. That seems a lot more conducive to believable roleplay than "NECK SHOT! OH, BUT I'M STILL STANDING!"

Geez.

Well, he was complaining about being brought to near-death from a neck-shot from an arrow.

I personally don't see what's so ridiculous about that.

You all give me a good chuckle. I agree with so many points, if you have an issues with the might of one character (s) then set out to use your wits, as its not  a hack and slash so if there are those that you can not walk up and batter into submission or dispose of thier limp body down a gulch, sway them to your favor and betray them, or set to social exhile, because even those that like to solo need a city somewhere to go and supply up...

I like the code/ stat/ skill thingy... I have a saying (that i riped off from somewhere else) Your angles are your demons and your demons are your angles. In other words fight against yourself and find hell work with yourself and find heaven.. ie don't fight the code learn how it works, you can not change anything but yourself.

The funny little foreign man

I often hear the jingle to -Riunite on ice- when I read the estate name Reynolte, eve though there ain't no ice in Zalanthas.

Angles and Demons: A Treatise on Geometry and Metaphysics
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: SmuzI come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: VanthSynthesis, you scare me a little bit.

Recipe for a Jcljules Thread
1) Make a suggestion.
2) Get shut down.
3) Watch helplessly as the thread is derailed and devolves into a monstrous flamewar or unrelated argument which is locked by the Immortals.
4) Stop paying attention.
5) Do it again.

;D

Quote from: Gimfalisette
(10:00:49 PM) Gimf: Yes, you sentence? I sentence often.

QuoteWisdom     (Character)

This attribute is the mental capacity of a character, being made up of both his/her knowledge, intelligence, and ability to learn. On Zalanthas, those who have high wisdom often learn from their mistakes quicker, magickers regenerate faster, and languages are picked up more easily.

See also:
    agility, endurance, strength

I've probably arrived too late, but:

Yeah, stats matter a lot. ESPECIALLY in the beginning, but still at the end.

After 110 some characters, I've had plenty of characters start off with 2-3 starting exceptionals, and even dual AI's before. (Hell, if I wanted to I could make a warrior with a 50% chance of rolling up 2 exceptionals right now. Too bad I find warriors boring. )

My point here being: these high-stat characters are the ones you see come into the clan as a runner, recruit, or whatever and beat up on the privates, and give the Sarge a wicked bump on the head. Attack damage feeds HEAVILY from strength. I've had the pleasure of seeing two long lived, high-max0r skilled characters spar. (I think I got up to fix a snack, come back, and they were still going at it like a couple of pale, sweaty teenagers!)

Fighter A had practically maxxxed skills, a low strength score, and wasn't a warrior. Fighter B was a warrior and had average stats, and was at least 80% to maxxxed. Both long lived and high ranked. Fighter A won by exhibiting solid defense, but had to land 2 - 3 times as many hits, because of his strength handicap. His "solid chop" probably did about 5-8 damage. Fighter B landed nowhere near as many hits, and took far more SOLID shots, but still didn't go down. He didn't land half as many shots as fighter A, but his shots were likely hitting for 7-10 damage each. In the end it was a very close match. Both were neck and neck HP wise.

This seems to me, like a good observation on how stats and skills interact.

And for the record, duskhorns are slow. I've had 1 day warrior humans KO them in 3-4 shots with high rolls. Take on something fast like a spider, and my lack of defense left me bleeding every time.
Quote from: musashiengaging in autoerotic asphyxiation is no excuse for sloppy grammer!!!

Armageddon.org

I'm kinda missing the point. You say stats matter late game, but when maxxxed out, a non warrior is about the same as a warrior with better stats?

Quote from: SMuz on May 07, 2009, 08:52:00 PM
I'm kinda missing the point. You say stats matter late game, but when maxxxed out, a non warrior is about the same as a warrior with better stats?

Not necessarily.
Lets say you have a Warrior and a Ranger, both with all "average" stats. Maxxed out in their guilds, a warrior would likely win in a head on head fight (using nothing but the kill command). Their weapons skills would max higher, their parry would max higher, etc. (If they used other skills it would be debatable. A Warrior kicking and bashing and disarming, a ranger trying to flee-shoot-poison, etc.).

Now when you begin to mix and match stats, it also becomes iffy. Like an all average warrior against a ranger with better strength and/or agility. Or a slow/strong warrior against a fast/weak ranger, etc. As your question, a  maxxed out non warrior CAN be as good as a non-maxxed warrior with better stats... depends.

A better discussion I guess would be two maxxed warriors with varying stats. Typically, agility wins out. Like in the previous "sparring" post. AI incredible agility, with a maxxed warrior would be quite scary, even with poor strength.
Quote from: SynthesisI always thought of jozhals as like...reptilian wallabies.

Quote from: FiveDisgruntledMonkeysWitI pictured them as cute, glittery mini-velociraptors.
Kinda like a My Little Pony that could eat your face.