magick and heredity

Started by Anonymous, June 07, 2003, 11:03:35 AM

I thought I saw this discussed somewhere once...but is inclination to being in touch with magick hereditary?  

Can two non-magickers have a magicker child?

Can two magickers have a non-magicker child?

Do types of magick run in familes?

I don't know the answer and I haven't seen anything documented about that aspect of magicks....

But I tend to treat the ability as one of the many mutations in Zanthalas. Like.. some weird strand of DNA floats around in the sentient being gene pool and strikes random people. Maybe the mutation would run in a family who, for whatever reason, bred strong mages with other strong mages... but otherwise it would be a hit or miss.

I know two non magickers can have a magicker... there's tons of those running around.

I don't see why two magickers couldn't also, 'breed true' and have a little cozy family of crazed wigglers.

I, for one, think it would be very interesting if there was a known 'family line' that carried a strong possibility for magick.  Maybe this family has discovered that if you smoke mad amounts of certain types of spice while pregnant, it greatly increases the chance that your character will sling fireballs, or be able to levitate.  Like most spice pregnancies, the children would most likely be a bit twisted as well...

Whateley Family, anyone?
Yes. Read the thread if you want, or skip to page 7 and be dismissive.
-Reiloth

Words I repeat every time I start a post:
Quote from: Rathustra on June 23, 2016, 03:29:08 PM
Stop being shitty to each other.

Quote from: "Malifaxis"Whateley Family, anyone?
Knowing our own propensity for madness, I'd happily (once I know I can fling fireballs as you quaintly put it) start up this clan with you.
Quote from: MalifaxisWe need to listen to spawnloser.
Quote from: Reiterationspawnloser knows all

Quote from: SpoonA magicker is kind of like a mousetrap, the fear is the cheese. But this cheese has an AK47.

Muahahahhahahahahhahahaha.... ha.  HAHAHAHAHA..hahah... haahahahah.  Waaauuhhahhahahahhahahahaahahahaha.

Yesssss... lets put some work in to this one though, family customs, traits, weird crap like that.  We'll probably get axed in the first couple days of play, therefore ending the line... but it'll be a riot while it lasts.

And lets make a little promise not to be stupid insane... lets be cracked, twisted bastards, not the streaking naked and throwing pies at templars insane.
-Reiloth

Oh, and... while I would love to, I'm not sure it would be kosher to use the name Whateley.  Lets start with a plain ish name, and give it its own notoriety.

Raising a stunted, six-fingered furry hand in greeting, the hairy, lazy-eyed man says, in sirihish;
   "Hae dere, mah name's Billy Bob Shoggoth.  Goot'er meecha!"

(okay, so maybe not Shoggoth either... maybe I shouldn't have eaten that HP Lovecraft book before bed...)
-Reiloth

Quote from: "Malifaxis"Muahahahhahahahahhahahaha.... ha.  HAHAHAHAHA..hahah... haahahahah.  Waaauuhhahhahahahhahahahaahahahaha.

Yesssss... lets put some work in to this one though, family customs, traits, weird crap like that.  We'll probably get axed in the first couple days of play, therefore ending the line... but it'll be a riot while it lasts.

And lets make a little promise not to be stupid insane... lets be cracked, twisted bastards, not the streaking naked and throwing pies at templars insane.
Quote from: "Malifaxis"Oh, and... while I would love to, I'm not sure it would be kosher to use the name Whateley. Lets start with a plain ish name, and give it its own notoriety.

Raising a stunted, six-fingered furry hand in greeting, the hairy, lazy-eyed man says, in sirihish;
"Hae dere, mah name's Billy Bob Shoggoth. Goot'er meecha!"

(okay, so maybe not Shoggoth either... maybe I shouldn't have eaten that HP Lovecraft book before bed...)
Oh, agreed.  Lots of planning, insane, but not raving lunatic kinda insane.  If we're going to model after the Whateleys, they should be evil insane, not Malkavian insane.  And yes, unique name...no Lovecraft...we'll think of something.
Quote from: MalifaxisWe need to listen to spawnloser.
Quote from: Reiterationspawnloser knows all

Quote from: SpoonA magicker is kind of like a mousetrap, the fear is the cheese. But this cheese has an AK47.

Spice does not cause birth defects. Anyone telling you such outright nonsense will shortly be visited by black clad Kuraci for an attitude adjustment. Spice is wonderful. Spice is your friend. Try spice!

Bringing you a happier tomorrow through the careful application of mind-altering substances!

Mekeda

As any good templar can tell you, spice is bad.

There's no spice in Allanak.

(No cats in America, either.)

-Shinigami, Never says Never again (for Tektolnes)
Quote from: DeliriumA hunched shinigami prowls around here, gnashing its teeth.