drop <item> down

Started by Yseulte, April 22, 2009, 01:49:25 AM

How nice would it be if you had something like a bag or a body or whatever, and instead of having to go down into a hole or over a cliff, you could just drop it a certain way?

Overlooking A Ravine [EWD]
Massive, thick-rooted baobab trees grow here around a deep ravine. Beneath these towering trees, the ground is rough and closer to the edge is loose underfoot as if to threaten a slip far below. A sinuous trail winds its way through the trees to the east and west.

l down
[Near]
Nothing.
[Far]
Nothing.

em looks around furtively before tossing ~bag over the edge.
The figure in suchandsuch cloak looks around furtively before tossing his bloodied plain bag over the edge.

drop bag down (over the edge)
Over the edge, the figure in suchandsuch cloak drops his bloodied plain bag down. (Granted, you would see you/your.)

~*~

A Narrow Rooftop [NSD]
Thick, rough clay tiles lay in neat, overlapping rows down the high-sloping sides of this building's roof. Each one is different in color, ranging in warm tones such as red, brown, yellow, and orange. A very narrow walkway runs the length of the building from north to south before cutting off over the ledge to the alleyway three stories down.

l down
[Near]
Nothing.
[Far]
Nothing.
[Very Far]
Nothing.

watch down
You begin watching the down exit.

Far Below: The figure in suchandsuch cloak walks in from the north, in a drunken swagger.

Far Below: The figure in suchandsuch cloak leans into the wall, fumbling with his cloak as he undoes his grey linen trousers.

em smirks and stretches out a hand, dropping ~poop.
The female in suchandsuch facewrap smirks and stretched out a hand, dropping a pile of steaming erdlu poop.

drop poop down (letting go)
Letting go, the female in suchandsuch facewrap drops a pile of steaming erdlu poop down.

~*~

A Clearing [NUD]
Endless flat land stretches out in all directions to the north, appearing barren and gouged with deep, dry cracks. Skeletons of scrub bushes lie scattered about, clinging to the high, sheer granite boulders that box in this small clearing. Small and oval in shape, a gaping black hole sits at the feet of a bulbous boulder.

l down
[Near]
Nothing.
[Far]
Nothing.
[Very Far]
Nothing.

em scans the pathway to the barrens a moment before turning back to the hole, pushing ~corpse over the edge with a kick.
The scarlet-inked man scan the pathway to the barrens a moment before turning back to the hole, pushing the corpse of a willowy, purple-eyed female over the edge with a kick.

drop corpse down (into the hole)
Into the hole, the scarlet-inked man drops the corpse of a willowy, purple-eyed female down.

"Be patient and tough; someday this pain will be useful to you." - Ovid

I'd like this, if it's not already possible.
History will be kind to me for I intend to write it.
-Winston Churchill

This will already work for items dropped in climb-check areas.

I like the idea, though, and think it should work for any room that has a down exit.

Similarly, I think you should be able to throw items in adjacent rooms, depending on their weight. Something simple like:
You hold a clay mug.
Throw mug north.
You chuck a mug northwards.

Currently you can't throw anything one room away unless it's a weapon and you're throwing it at someone. :-\

Quote from: Rhyden on April 22, 2009, 02:12:02 AM

I like the idea, though, and think it should work for any room that has a down exit.

Similarly, I think you should be able to throw items in adjacent rooms, depending on their weight. Something simple like:
You hold a clay mug.
Throw mug north.

Currently you can't throw anything one room away unless it's a weapon and you're throwing it at someone. :-\

Or rotten fruit
Two dwarves get into a small fist-fray over who owns a pile of dung at the roadside.

You think:
     "Get your shit together"

You hold a clay mug.
Throw mug north.

I've wanted this for a long time.  Throwing lit torches into dark caves before rushing into them... yeah.
Quote from: manonfire on November 04, 2013, 08:11:36 AM
The secret to great RP is having the balls to be weird and the brains to make it eloquent.

Quote from: Ourla on April 22, 2009, 09:29:14 AM
I've wanted this for a long time.  Throwing lit torches into dark caves before rushing into them... yeah.
A staff member sends you:
"Normally we don't see a <redacted> walk into a room full of <redacted> and start indiscriminately killing."

You send to staff:
"Welcome to Armageddon."

Quote from: Majikal on April 22, 2009, 09:39:00 AM
Quote from: Ourla on April 22, 2009, 09:29:14 AM

I think you should be able to throw items in adjacent rooms, depending on their weight. Something simple like:
You hold a clay mug.
Throw mug north.
This please.

The problem is it only checks in CLIMB-check rooms.

I.e. rooms that have downs that can have you fall in the next room, that are actually safe.

Quote from: Marauder Moe on April 22, 2009, 12:06:46 PM
I think you should be able to throw items in adjacent rooms, depending on their weight. Something simple like:
You hold a clay mug.
Throw mug north.
This please.
"Never was anything great achieved without danger."
     -Niccolo Machiavelli

* Rhyden bats his lashes at Morg

Pretty please?

* Ourla bats Rhyden's lashes at Morg

Quote from: Rhyden on April 24, 2009, 12:42:26 AM
Pretty please?
Quote from: manonfire on November 04, 2013, 08:11:36 AM
The secret to great RP is having the balls to be weird and the brains to make it eloquent.

Quote from: Archbaron on April 23, 2009, 11:37:56 PM
Quote from: Marauder Moe on April 22, 2009, 12:06:46 PM
You hold a clay mug.
Throw mug north.

I dig this.
This please.

I was actually quite surprised to find out that this feature doesn't exist in a MUD as old as Arm.

You are not the only one.

But for me, the limitation of not being able to throw non-weapon items into other rooms drives me crazy on a daily basis. It restricts so much potential play...sigh.
A gaunt, yellow-skinned gith shrieks in fear, and hauls ass.
Lizzie:
If you -want- me to think that your character is a hybrid of a black kryl and a white push-broom shaped like a penis, then you've done a great job

Clan leaders getting drunk and throwing empty booze bottles about.
:D
Quote from: Twilight on January 22, 2013, 08:17:47 PMGreb - To scavenge, forage, and if Whira is with you, loot the dead.
Grebber - One who grebs.

Oh, yes, please, on the drop things down/throw things in the next room command. I've wanted to do this a time or two.

Please, Morgenes? Other staffers?
Quote from: brytta.leofa on August 17, 2010, 07:55:28 PM
A glossy, black-shelled mantis says, in insectoid-accented sirihish,
  "You haven't picked enough cotton, friend."
Choose thy fate:

Also, consider how many lives would be saved by the ability to throw torches or glow crystals into scary, scary caves.
Quote from: Synthesis
Quote from: lordcooper
You go south and one of the other directions that isn't north.  That is seriously the limit of my geographical knowledge of Arm.
Sarge?

It also surprises me that this isn't a feature here.  Not just the inability to drop things down, but the apparently inability to throw things that aren't weapons from room to room at all.  I can't personally think of a reason why I'd use that with the character I have right now, but I could see a lot of utility toward having it available with other kinds of characters.
Former player as of 2/27/23, sending love.

Even stranger, we are already able to do this with living characters that have been subdued. But not a corpse, torch, rock or turd.