Random Tiny CODE Wants

Started by daedroug, April 21, 2009, 11:25:21 PM

Quote from: musashi on March 19, 2011, 10:27:36 PM
Karma is measured by the player's:

Degree of maturity and responsibility as a role-player, as evidenced by playing roles 'realistically.'
Knowledge of the game world, and an appreciation of the way in which the various races, guilds, and so on, interact.
Role-playing skill, as evidenced by role-playing in such a way as to show that they are really involved in the game world, and also enriching the game world for other players.

In other words... Vague stuff. Sort of.

Quote from: Saellyn on March 19, 2011, 10:10:19 PM
My random tiny want.

A clear-cut way on how Staff judges whether a person deserves karma or not.

Don't play for the karma, play for the game, karma will follow.
The funny little foreign man

I often hear the jingle to -Riunite on ice- when I read the estate name Reynolte, eve though there ain't no ice in Zalanthas.

I do play for the game, but sometimes it's nice to have some karma so you can access a role that you couldn't play before. And there are certain roles that I reallyreallyreallyreally want to play that I can't right now.

Quote from: Saellyn on March 19, 2011, 10:43:42 PM
Quote from: musashi on March 19, 2011, 10:27:36 PM
Karma is measured by the player's:

Degree of maturity and responsibility as a role-player, as evidenced by playing roles 'realistically.'
Knowledge of the game world, and an appreciation of the way in which the various races, guilds, and so on, interact.
Role-playing skill, as evidenced by role-playing in such a way as to show that they are really involved in the game world, and also enriching the game world for other players.

In other words... Vague stuff. Sort of.

Yes, it's subjective. How could it be otherwise?

If that's a problem for you...I recommend against majoring in the humanities.

So what are you looking for?

A straight after X amount of time you get X amount of karma?
If you play X, Y, and Z roles you get X amount of karma?

The stuff listed isn't really vague at all in my opinion. Subjective, yes. Vague, no.

Degree of maturity and responsibility as a role-player. <--- Don't twink.
Knowledge of the game world and an appreciation of the races, guilds, ect. <--- Dwarves don't have hair. Elves don't ride things.
Being involved in the game world and enriching it for others <--- Send in frequent character updates, and get in on all the plots you can.
Quote from: Marauder Moe
Oh my god he's still rocking the sandwich.

Quote from: musashi on March 19, 2011, 11:44:22 PM

The stuff listed isn't really vague at all in my opinion. Subjective, yes. Vague, no.

Knowledge of the game world and an appreciation of the races, guilds, ect. <--- Dwarves don't have hair. Elves don't ride things.
Being involved in the game world and enriching it for others <--- Send in frequent character updates, and get in on all the plots you can.

Looking more for more information on what those three things are. Interpretation is fine, but I like to know what staffers are looking for specifically. Is that a bad thing?

That is not a code want.  Please leave this thread for code wants only.
Quote from: LauraMars on December 15, 2016, 08:17:36 PMPaint on a mustache and be a dude for a day. Stuff some melons down my shirt, cinch up a corset and pass as a girl.

With appropriate roleplay of course.

In that case, items that improve your sight distance in a storm.

Quote from: Saellyn on March 20, 2011, 01:24:01 AM
Quote from: musashi on March 19, 2011, 11:44:22 PM

Looking more for more information on what those three things are. Interpretation is fine, but I like to know what staffers are looking for specifically. Is that a bad thing?

Not A Staff Member, but here's some things I would consider more specific:

Degree of maturity and responsibility as a role-player:

• Realistically responding to events in the game, i.e. realistic RP of injuries.
  • Allowing your PC to be put into disadvantageous situations.
  • Refraining from discussing current IC events with other players on the GDB/AIM/IRC.
  • Not abusing known exploits or code features.
  • Refraining from massive killing sprees for loot.

Knowledge of the game world and documentation:

• Properly RPing different cultures.
  • Being aware of the cultural differences between the city-states and tribes.
  • Knowing the limitations that certain cultures and races have on them and obeying those limitations.
  • Playing a variety of roles, guilds, and cultural backgrounds that express a well-rounded knowledge of Zalanthas.
  • Maybe trying on a sponsored role or two and portraying your clan/family in an accurate way.

Being involved in the game world and enriching it for others:

• Inviting other PCs to assist your PC with things, thus creating plots.
  • Giving your clannies exciting and interesting things to do whether you're a leader or not.
  • Delegating tasks and effectively managing your clan if you are a leader.
  • Adhering to the documentation when you interact with others, but not ignoring them outright even if they're a breed or gemmer.
  • Informing your staff of what your PC is up to so they can keep up with your hijinks.
  • Helping new players if you come across someone struggling in the game.

It's all optional stuff, but that's a list of the sort of things I'd consider if I was a staffer looking to potentially plunk a karma or two onto somebody's account.

Nyr, I'd already typed all that up by the time you posted, so I'M LEAVING IT HERE. >:[ Hopefully ending the derail, though.
Quote from: Oryxin a land...where nothing is as it seems
lol
wait wait
in a harsh desert..wait
in a world...where everything's out to kill you
one man (or woman) stands sort of alone
only not really
lol
KURAC

I kinda want a better way to guestimate how old another race is... It's quite annoying to not be able to tell if they're twenty or thirty.

QuoteA female voice says, in sirihish:
     "] yer a wizard, oashi"

Quote from: bcw81 on March 20, 2011, 05:43:26 AM
I kinda want a better way to guestimate how old another race is... It's quite annoying to not be able to tell if they're twenty or thirty.

yeah, the difference between a twenties-years-old and a forty year old should be visible, even in an environment like zalanthas, which i'm assuming ages folks prematurely compared to here, what with the mental and physical strain and oppression of the most heavily-populated areas. Would be pretty cool. also for significant differences in height. i like the idea of not being able to tell in inches or years what they look like, but an estimate in relation to oneself.
Quote from: Qzzrbl
THAT MAN IS DEHYDRATING!

QUICK! GIMME A BANDAGE!!

Height is already an estimate based upon your own height.

QuoteA female voice says, in sirihish:
     "] yer a wizard, oashi"

Yeah I remember feeling super frustrated because no matter what height I selected, tall or short, I was always just "the figure in a so and so cloak" ... ... then I found out height is subjective relative to the character.

Opps!

seriously? huh.

was wondering that one time, why everyone was so freakin' tall.
Quote from: Qzzrbl
THAT MAN IS DEHYDRATING!

QUICK! GIMME A BANDAGE!!

Yeah. Play a HG and everyone is puny. Play a dwarf and everyone is towering.

You are always juuuuust right.

Same with attributes for the record. They are relative to the race.

A HG with poor strength has poor strength ... for a half giant. They're still stronger than the most absolutely incredibly strong elf.

Quote from: Marc on March 19, 2011, 02:47:34 PM
RTW: All +hide/+sneak bonuses removed and a lot of -hide/-sneak penalties added to gear in an attempt to balance the hide to scan relationship.

Or just increase scan bonus? IMO, hiding should be something really tough to do. If I were some Vietnam war veteran and you were hiding in my closet at home or standing behind me, I should pretty easily be able to sense you there if I took a good long look around the room :P

Heck, scan should be available to most people, if not everyone. I'm sure that even if a merchant kept getting stalked he'd learn to spot someone hiding in the bushes.
Quote from: Rahnevyn on March 09, 2009, 03:39:45 PM
Clans can give stat bonuses and penalties, too. The Byn drop in wisdom is particularly notorious.

Quote from: SMuz on March 20, 2011, 04:11:43 PM
Quote from: Marc on March 19, 2011, 02:47:34 PM
RTW: All +hide/+sneak bonuses removed and a lot of -hide/-sneak penalties added to gear in an attempt to balance the hide to scan relationship.

Or just increase scan bonus? IMO, hiding should be something really tough to do. If I were some Vietnam war veteran and you were hiding in my closet at home or standing behind me, I should pretty easily be able to sense you there if I took a good long look around the room :P

Heck, scan should be available to most people, if not everyone. I'm sure that even if a merchant kept getting stalked he'd learn to spot someone hiding in the bushes.

A skill which allows me to turn nasty, icky poisons into ready-to-eat meals.
Or is that called 'poison food'?

A "toss" command, that uses your "throw" skill.

Something that lets you throw stuff at people without trying to brain them.

Quote from: Qzzrbl on March 20, 2011, 11:02:42 PM
A "toss" command, that uses your "throw" skill.

Something that lets you throw stuff at people without trying to brain them.

Or invoke the crim code.
"You will have useful work: the destruction of evil men. What work could be more useful? This is Beyond; you will find that your work is never done -- So therefore you may never know a life of peace."

~Jack Vance~

I believe there are certain things you can throw that will not induce crime code... I believe.
The funny little foreign man

I often hear the jingle to -Riunite on ice- when I read the estate name Reynolte, eve though there ain't no ice in Zalanthas.

Quote from: Potaje on March 20, 2011, 11:37:48 PM
I believe there are certain things you can throw that will not induce crime code... I believe.

You are correct, but it'd be nice to be able to use a different command that you knew would not invoke the crim code. Then again -- One could argue this is give fruit dude (Tossing it across the room).
"You will have useful work: the destruction of evil men. What work could be more useful? This is Beyond; you will find that your work is never done -- So therefore you may never know a life of peace."

~Jack Vance~

I wish you could, in a non-aggressive manner, throw any item into another room.

I cannot begin to tell you how many times I have wished for a:

>toss torch east

You toss a light, flaming torch to the east.

>look east

[Near]
A pack of hungry bahamets are here.

Think Good thing I'm smart enough to toss torches into darkened areas.
Quote from: LauraMars
Quote from: brytta.leofaLaura, did weird tribal men follow you around at age 15?
If by weird tribal men you mean Christians then yes.

Quote from: Malifaxis
She was teabagging me.

My own mother.

Quote from: Gunnerblaster on March 21, 2011, 12:05:32 AM
I wish you could, in a non-aggressive manner, throw any item into another room.

I cannot begin to tell you how many times I have wished for a:

>toss torch east

You toss a light, flaming torch to the east.

>look east

[Near]
A pack of hungry bahamets are here.

Think Good thing I'm smart enough to toss torches into darkened areas.

Yes! Yesyesyes!

~Jack Vance~

Or even:

say (while holding ~pack over the ledge of the cliff) Sorry, Amos - But this is what you get when you piss me off.

While holding a large backpack over the ledge of the cliff, the cloaked figure says, in southern-accented sirihish,
  "Sorry, Amos - But this is what you get when you piss me off."

Thrusting his hand out in a vain attempt to grab the dangling pack, the tall, muscular man says, in northern-accented sirihish,
  "No, don't!"

>toss pack west (snickering)[over the cliff]

Snickering, the cloaked figure tosses a large backpack west, over the cliff.
Quote from: LauraMars
Quote from: brytta.leofaLaura, did weird tribal men follow you around at age 15?
If by weird tribal men you mean Christians then yes.

Quote from: Malifaxis
She was teabagging me.

My own mother.

Or, your buddy falls into a hole to the east.

toss rope east

I've wanted this kinda code in for years. :)