Random Tiny CODE Wants

Started by daedroug, April 21, 2009, 11:25:21 PM

Quote from: MeTekillot on March 14, 2011, 08:45:37 PM
Warriors branching scan with high blind fighting or watch.

I don't see why not, really.  Even primary-guild scan is pretty much useless except for spotting noobs and a few critters that aren't worth much anyway...and you don't even start to spot those until it's nearly at (master) level.  Subclass-capped scan would be nothing more than a skill in your list.  Completely useless, as a matter of practicality.
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: SmuzI come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: VanthSynthesis, you scare me a little bit.

March 14, 2011, 09:50:09 PM #1676 Last Edit: March 14, 2011, 09:52:21 PM by My 2 sids
It makes sense to have the gates closed when there's dangerous beasts about, but otherwise it's a playability issue. Gates close at dusk, you have to wait half an hour. [endquote]

> bribe gate
> you pay the guard 30 sids and he lets you pass

For shops, it's understandable they wouldn't be open 24/7, but couldn't there be unemployed commoners taking up "night shifts" to maximize profits? It's about the playability thing here too, except with shops you have to wait longer (worse for those shops that are opened like half of the day, lazy asshats). ;)

Really, what I'm asking here is to save us all some time, and especially for offpeakers and also those of us who don't have three hours to spend getting a little bit done.
[endquote]

I think enough shops are open 24/7 this isn't a huge deal.  
"The Highlord casts a shadow because he does not want to see skin!" -- Boog

<this space for rent>

2 sids, it took me a bit to figure out where your posts were because you left them in quote tags.

Which shops are open 24/7? Bars?

This.

This.

A million times this.

Please.

Quote from: Synthesis on March 14, 2011, 08:58:14 PM

I don't see why not, really.  Even primary-guild scan is pretty much useless except for spotting noobs and a few critters that aren't worth much anyway...and you don't even start to spot those until it's nearly at (master) level.  Subclass-capped scan would be nothing more than a skill in your list.  Completely useless, as a matter of practicality.

Presumably because it would break the rock-paper-scissors between people who can turn invisible, people who can target people who are invisible, and people who can kick the asses of those who can target people who are invisible.

Quote from: jstorrie on March 14, 2011, 11:24:13 PM
Quote from: Synthesis on March 14, 2011, 08:58:14 PM

Presumably because it would break the rock-paper-scissors between people who can turn invisible, people who can target people who are invisible, and people who can kick the asses of those who can target people who are invisible.

Eh, a warrior with scan wouldn't be any more dangerous to invisible-type 'gickers than a ranger would be...and giving them scan wouldn't make them any more dangerous to (non-noob) rangers...so I'm not sure if that would upset any kind of balance.  Having the skill would merely be false hope.

In fact, it's probably best for warriors that they -can't- see invisible-types, because if they could, they'd be tempted to actually attack them, and that would almost always end badly for the warrior, not the 'gicker.

So let's steer this in another direction, 'cause we're already veering extremely close to sensitive material.

All I want to say is, Synth is wrong.

New want, custom subguild. IE, you pick option ZZ, then you get to pick 3 skills or percs from the list, all are already in subs and you do not get them past the highest that the subs get.
A gaunt, yellow-skinned gith shrieks in fear, and hauls ass.
Lizzie:
If you -want- me to think that your character is a hybrid of a black kryl and a white push-broom shaped like a penis, then you've done a great job

March 15, 2011, 03:03:32 AM #1683 Last Edit: March 15, 2011, 03:06:34 AM by musashi
I'm gonna agree with X-D in that, Synth is wrong on that one.

I think that scan vs. [IC Sensitive Stuff Other than the Hide Skill] is balanced just fine. The guilds with scan as a high level skill can get to a point where they have a good chance of detecting this sort of thing.

But Scan vs. Hide is, imo, a bit whack. I think it's because there is lots and lots of equipment one can get in game that will boost up their hide skill, and not so much equipment one can get that will boost up their scan. Hence, hiding and sneaking for the guilds that get that relatively high, is probably the most effective method of stealth the game has.

Even a "master scanner" won't see a sneaky type if they're properly decked out; because ... to pick a completely random set of numbers for the sake of illustration, maybe both sneaky man and scanning man have their respective skills maxed out at 50, but the sneaky man can get gear that boosts his up to 95.
Quote from: Marauder Moe
Oh my god he's still rocking the sandwich.

Let's not break this thread, too!

I want NPC chalton herds.  With megascripted scary ranger NPC guards.  Young desert elves will rustle 'em for food, and on dares.
The sword is sharp, the spear is long,
The arrow swift, the Gate is strong.
The heart is bold that looks on gold;
The dwarves no more shall suffer wrong.

Quote from: brytta.leofa on March 15, 2011, 08:49:57 AM

I want NPC chalton herds.  With megascripted scary ranger NPC guards.  Young desert elves will rustle 'em for food, and on dares.

Cattle rustlers FTW.

This want is not tiny, but I hope that in Arm 2 settlements (and monster lairs) will spawn these sort of groups, relatively randomly but in odds that IC events will dictate - so that every few days a trading caravan will travel from Trader Town to Mud Land, or the Catdudes of Caveonia will send their kids on a mushroom hunt. Then you could encounter these groups in the wild, to trade with or raid or flee from or just wave to.

March 15, 2011, 07:27:45 PM #1687 Last Edit: March 15, 2011, 07:37:43 PM by Cindy42
Quote from: brytta.leofa on March 15, 2011, 08:49:57 AM

I want NPC chalton herds.  With megascripted scary ranger NPC guards.  Young desert elves will rustle 'em for food, and on dares.

i thought of this, pastoral societies. unfortunately in real life, like in africa, for one example, this only works in well-rained savannas where lots of grass grows.

so if pastoral societies exist, they're not going to be large; although i guess you can ignore the idea and just plop three tribes below luir's with huge herds that seem to feed off sand going around and being guarded by the tribe's best warriors. you could probably code the animals to eat salt off the salt flats or sand instead.

EDIT: coffee. i wish coffee were widely available in at least one tavern.
Quote from: Qzzrbl
THAT MAN IS DEHYDRATING!

QUICK! GIMME A BANDAGE!!

Musashi is correct and I agree, Another want, More +scan gear, try to get some kind of balance, I have played enough stealthy types to know you can be perfectaly invis with stealth, too easily, nobody should ever be so sure they are undetected.
A gaunt, yellow-skinned gith shrieks in fear, and hauls ass.
Lizzie:
If you -want- me to think that your character is a hybrid of a black kryl and a white push-broom shaped like a penis, then you've done a great job

A pair of bone and leather infra-red goggles?

For scan to get a bonus with each pulse where you are present in the same room. Therefore a ranger scanning and watching the same dune for a long amount of time is bound to notice anything odd eventually. That's my suggested fix for scan.
A staff member sends you:
"Normally we don't see a <redacted> walk into a room full of <redacted> and start indiscriminately killing."

You send to staff:
"Welcome to Armageddon."

Just a random thought I had:

Do you get a bonus to defense against ranged weapons when you're sitting and reclining?

If not, you should. Especially against attacks from other rooms.

Quote from: hyzhenhok on March 15, 2011, 08:43:16 PM
If not, you should. Especially against attacks from other rooms.

> ep shield; rest (hitting the dirt)

I love it, especially since you can't retaliate whilst reclining.

> shout Sarge! We're pinned down!

A simple rest gives + to shield use would be nice. I've done a bit of swordplay and whenever I was downed from a good strike I tended to defend better while knelt.

And yes, I seriously want that idea of Scan getting a bonus for staying in a room for x amount of pulses. Things like shooting, foraging, attacking and hunting would reset the bonus or whatever, but it would be totally nice if scan could ACTUALLY trump hide. As X-D said, you should never be so comfortable with your safety when you type 'hide'.
A staff member sends you:
"Normally we don't see a <redacted> walk into a room full of <redacted> and start indiscriminately killing."

You send to staff:
"Welcome to Armageddon."

Resting isn't kneeling. I would want to keep the vulnerability to melee that sitting and resting gives, while giving it a bonus against ranged attacks.

Quote from: musashi on March 16, 2011, 10:31:50 AM
And my all time personal favorite since tdesc went in ... barber!  ;D

Want: be able to either "arrange" or tdesc unconscious people.

That would rock so hard!

Give them a chance at waking up if they're just sleeping, but if they're out cold ... let the shenanigans commence!
Quote from: Marauder Moe
Oh my god he's still rocking the sandwich.

I wish nobody had the ability to wake up another person on command.

Quote from: Qzzrbl on March 18, 2011, 01:42:55 AM
I wish nobody had the ability to wake up another person on command.

If you don't want anyone to wake you up, just barrier;cease;barrier;cease;barrier;cease until you pass out.  Repeat if some concerned citizen administers undesired first aid.

I just wanna play a heavy sleeper sometimes, still wanna have the ability to wake up when I choose, and gain the ability to decide if anyone else's wake attempt is enough to actually wake my char.