Random Tiny CODE Wants

Started by daedroug, April 21, 2009, 11:25:21 PM

Quote from: Morgenes on February 25, 2011, 08:47:17 PM
That wouldn't be so easy.  The descs are stored in a file that I can easily access and parse.  The skills are not as much.  Also the conditional display of the 'how good' would have to be kept in synch between the game and the web tool (not a huge deal, but still something else to consider)

Just uncorpsify our beloved ex-characters and pop 'em into a secret, undisclosed location in the game (or on the testin' port or whatever).  Force them to type "skills."  Capture the output.  Run through webby magic.  How hard can it be? ;)

Or if you want to really be cathartic, let us disconnect from our living character and connect to a dead one...but logging in puts us in a temporary, private, simply-furnished room that is wholly isolated from the game itself.  We can call it The Grieving Chamber.
The sword is sharp, the spear is long,
The arrow swift, the Gate is strong.
The heart is bold that looks on gold;
The dwarves no more shall suffer wrong.

Morg: In terms of what I'd find useful, it would be how many of each type of request (ie, Character Reports: total # , Player Kudos: total #) and then maybe total # of requests week by week, or at least by month.   :D
Former player as of 2/27/23, sending love.

Quote from: brytta.leofa on February 25, 2011, 08:53:17 PM
Quote from: Morgenes on February 25, 2011, 08:47:17 PM
That wouldn't be so easy.  The descs are stored in a file that I can easily access and parse.  The skills are not as much.  Also the conditional display of the 'how good' would have to be kept in synch between the game and the web tool (not a huge deal, but still something else to consider)

Just uncorpsify our beloved ex-characters and pop 'em into a secret, undisclosed location in the game (or on the testin' port or whatever).  Force them to type "skills."  Capture the output.  Run through webby magic.  How hard can it be? ;)

Or if you want to really be cathartic, let us disconnect from our living character and connect to a dead one...but logging in puts us in a temporary, private, simply-furnished room that is wholly isolated from the game itself.  We can call it The Grieving Chamber.

I dig this!
Quote from: Qzzrbl
THAT MAN IS DEHYDRATING!

QUICK! GIMME A BANDAGE!!

Hunt to be effected by daylight in the same way that forage is.

Would make being a bastard in the dead of night more promising and a posse has to track their quarry before night on most days.
A staff member sends you:
"Normally we don't see a <redacted> walk into a room full of <redacted> and start indiscriminately killing."

You send to staff:
"Welcome to Armageddon."

For watch direction to work on sneak.

IE, sneak should not automatically defeat watch direction whether you have the skill or not.

And on that note, For watch direction to see emotes.
A gaunt, yellow-skinned gith shrieks in fear, and hauls ass.
Lizzie:
If you -want- me to think that your character is a hybrid of a black kryl and a white push-broom shaped like a penis, then you've done a great job

draw boomstick es
どんと来い、生活の悪循環!!1!11
Quote from: Yam on March 18, 2011, 09:57:04 AM
There's really nothing wrong with a pretty boy in a dress.

Quote from: Majikal on February 26, 2011, 01:11:50 PM

Would make being a bastard in the dead of night more promising and a posse has to track their quarry before night on most days.

I like this one. Maybe not make it impossible, but make it more difficult. I like the idea of the night being extra dangerous for most because it's the preferred time for ne'er-do-wells to crawl out from under their rocks.

Quote from: Drayab on February 26, 2011, 03:41:24 PM
Quote from: Majikal on February 26, 2011, 01:11:50 PM

I like this one. Maybe not make it impossible, but make it more difficult. I like the idea of the night being extra dangerous for most because it's the preferred time for ne'er-do-wells to crawl out from under their rocks.
It's been awhile but I thought Hunt already works like this...?
Quote from: LauraMars
Quote from: brytta.leofaLaura, did weird tribal men follow you around at age 15?
If by weird tribal men you mean Christians then yes.

Quote from: Malifaxis
She was teabagging me.

My own mother.

Maybe it does, but...

Quote from: help hunt
Skill Hunt                                                     (Perception)

This skill involves the act of carefully searching the terrain that the
character is in, to find who has passed through the vicinity. Depending on
what environment the character is used to, their ability to find a quarry's
tracks will be adjusted accordingly. Rangers are best suited in the desert,
while in the cities they will be penalised. This applies conversely for
other guilds which might get the skill.
   Tracks are only left if something has passed through the location. Thus,
in order to track something accurately, one should know where the trail has
begun.

Syntax:
   hunt

Note:
   Light levels typically do not strongly affect the ability, but weather
conditions do. It is almost impossible to track someone through a
sandstorm, for example.  All stride & weight related messages should be
assumed to be relative to an average human.

Delay: before

I personally haven't noticed much effect, but the help file implies a modest penalty.

Quote from: Drayab on February 26, 2011, 03:54:58 PM
Maybe it does, but...

begun.

Syntax:
   hunt

Note:

I personally haven't noticed much effect, but the help file implies a modest penalty.
It's not impossible to find tracks at night, in-game or in real life - given you have some good lighting in the area (ie: torch, strong moonlight with calm weather).
Quote from: brytta.leofaLaura, did weird tribal men follow you around at age 15?

She was teabagging me.

My own mother.

Knowing nothing of tracking personally, I defer to those that know better. I just like night being the providence of ne're-do-wells. It just seems like common sense to me that it would be significantly harder to track at night, everything else being equal.

Quote from: X-D on February 26, 2011, 02:11:00 PM
For watch direction to work on sneak.

IE, sneak should not automatically defeat watch direction whether you have the skill or not.

And on that note, For watch direction to see emotes.

Yeah, the watch function definitely needs to call checks vs. listen (or scan, I suppose) when someone is sneaking into a watched room.
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: SmuzI come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: VanthSynthesis, you scare me a little bit.

Quote from: Drayab on February 26, 2011, 04:09:20 PM
Knowing nothing of tracking personally, I defer to those that know better. I just like night being the providence of ne're-do-wells. It just seems like common sense to me that it would be significantly harder to track at night, everything else being equal.
You also have to take into account terrain. For example; it's infinitely harder to track someone through a forest, at night versus tracking them through a desert, at night.

She was teabagging me.

My own mother.

Yeah, so I found out that when they say you can only submit ONE mastercraft item per month, it does NOT mean one in January, one in February, one in March and so on.

I submitted on the 30th of January and even today, the 28th of February, I cannot submit another mastercraft item.

My want?

That 'the system' could differentiate between the actual months so that I could submit one item on the 30th of January, then turn around and submit another on the 5th of February.   :(
The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

It may be a little saddening to hear, but we did it this way on purpose, I promise--for the reason you indicated you want it.
Quote from: LauraMars on December 15, 2016, 08:17:36 PMPaint on a mustache and be a dude for a day. Stuff some melons down my shirt, cinch up a corset and pass as a girl.

With appropriate roleplay of course.

February 28, 2011, 01:57:17 PM #1565 Last Edit: February 28, 2011, 02:19:22 PM by DesertT
Nyr,

You are -all- about denying me.   :-[

No tattoo.

No mastercraft.

No LOVE!!

;D
The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Quote from: Gunnerblaster on February 26, 2011, 03:56:08 PM
Quote from: Drayab on February 26, 2011, 03:54:58 PM
Maybe it does, but...

begun.

Syntax:
   hunt

Note:

It's not impossible to find tracks at night, in-game or in real life - given you have some good lighting in the area (ie: torch, strong moonlight with calm weather).

you remember aragorn in the second LOTR movie touching the ground, and (even if it was dark) touching the tracks might still good you clear enough indication that you don't need light.

"A hobbit lay here."
THAT MAN IS DEHYDRATING!

QUICK! GIMME A BANDAGE!!

basically, i want hunt to stay the same.

and:

i would really like for the mount animals available for sale to be more random than two to seven different animals available; like: say this is the list.

1. a sunlon
2. a war beetle
3. a plains-ox
4. an inix
5. a mekillot-WTF

and then when you bought one the appearance is randomized from a pool of different sdesc/mdesc sets so that, for the most part, you could tell the different between your ox and someone else's ox. like yours is "the large, brown-black plains-ox" and their's is "the one-horned, shaggy plains-ox" or something.
THAT MAN IS DEHYDRATING!

QUICK! GIMME A BANDAGE!!

Quote from: Cindy42 on February 28, 2011, 03:30:31 PM
and then when you bought one the appearance is randomized from a pool of different sdesc/mdesc sets so that, for the most part, you could tell the different between your ox and someone else's ox. like yours is "the large, brown-black plains-ox" and their's is "the one-horned, shaggy plains-ox" or something.

I love this.  Rather than having
   3. a war beetle,
   4. a cool war beetle, and
   5. an other cool war beetle,
make the only beetle option "a war beetle," but autogenerate a plausibly unique beetle for the purchaser.

I'd love to be able to purchase inix in more locations, too, but maybe it's good for the game that I can't.
The sword is sharp, the spear is long,
The arrow swift, the Gate is strong.
The heart is bold that looks on gold;
The dwarves no more shall suffer wrong.

Quote from: brytta.leofa on February 28, 2011, 03:53:10 PM
Quote from: Cindy42 on February 28, 2011, 03:30:31 PM

I love this.  Rather than having
   3. a war beetle,
   4. a cool war beetle, and
   5. an other cool war beetle,
make the only beetle option "a war beetle," but autogenerate a plausibly unique beetle for the purchaser.

I'd love to be able to purchase inix in more locations, too, but maybe it's good for the game that I can't.

I'd use something like the tattoo code or the custom clothing code so people could customize it.  Otherwise you'd get people sending in requests like "my dwarf's focus is to never touch anything green, but the code made me buy a green beetle! Can someone please make it a blue beetle instead?"

Odd little idea I had from the 'beep' portion of the nifty things thread:

Ping
The ping command can be used on another player, without breaking stealth or alerting the other player, for those that suspect the individual is linkdead and unable to respond to attempts at roleplay.

> ping muscular
The tall, muscular man appears to be connected to the game normally.

> ping short
The short, skinny man appears to be disconnected from the game.  Staff has been notified of their status.

If you ping someone that is indeed linkdead, then it sends a message to staff that a linkdead player is in a position where their presence demands interaction that they are incapable of doing.  This allows staff to note if someone is intentionally using ping feedback to oocly 'prey' on certain people, and if not allows them to force-log that individual out after the would-be interacter has moved on.

Example situation would be a PC guard in a clan barrack.  They SHOULD be at training, but physically aren't - if they were offline, then they are virtually at training, there's not repercussions about that.  If they are online then they are clearly skipping training and that might be a problem.  However, if their commanding PC pings them, and realizes that they are offline (disconnected) then its more to their discretion on how to treat it.  Gives them more information regarding an OOC situation without having to go to OOC communication within game.  Just a thought. :)

Quote from: Praetorian on March 01, 2011, 08:23:02 AM

Ping
The ping command can be used on another player, without breaking stealth or alerting the other player, for those that suspect the individual is linkdead and unable to respond to attempts at roleplay.

> ping muscular

> ping short
The short, skinny man appears to be disconnected from the game.  Staff has been notified of their status.

If you ping someone that is indeed linkdead, then it sends a message to staff that a linkdead player is in a position where their presence demands interaction that they are incapable of doing.  This allows staff to note if someone is intentionally using ping feedback to oocly 'prey' on certain people, and if not allows them to force-log that individual out after the would-be interacter has moved on.

Example situation would be a PC guard in a clan barrack.  They SHOULD be at training, but physically aren't - if they were offline, then they are virtually at training, there's not repercussions about that.  If they are online then they are clearly skipping training and that might be a problem.  However, if their commanding PC pings them, and realizes that they are offline (disconnected) then its more to their discretion on how to treat it.  Gives them more information regarding an OOC situation without having to go to OOC communication within game.  Just a thought. :)

I dig this.
Fredd-
i love being a nobles health points

Quote from: Barsook on March 01, 2011, 08:39:34 AM
Quote from: Praetorian on March 01, 2011, 08:23:02 AM

Ping

> ping muscular

> ping short

I dig this.

I dig that dig, and the original idea.
"Brain wave, main wave"
Psycho got a high kick
Collect and select
Show me your best set

It's already been said a hundred times that the game sucks at being able to tell whether a PC is linkdead or not.

If someone doesn't respond to you when you tell them, "Hey, jerkoff, get your ass to the sparring hall," how about you just assume they're linkdead?

I would love to be able to use the command "sap" with bare fists.
Quote from: Twilight on January 22, 2013, 08:17:47 PMGreb - To scavenge, forage, and if Whira is with you, loot the dead.
Grebber - One who grebs.