Random Tiny CODE Wants

Started by daedroug, April 21, 2009, 11:25:21 PM

November 12, 2010, 11:09:10 AM #1125 Last Edit: November 12, 2010, 03:38:00 PM by Nyr
Also, flaming/trolling on the GDB will get you banned nowadays.  (I edited out another post that received this attention)
Quote from: LauraMars on December 15, 2016, 08:17:36 PMPaint on a mustache and be a dude for a day. Stuff some melons down my shirt, cinch up a corset and pass as a girl.

With appropriate roleplay of course.

Quote from: Nyr on November 12, 2010, 08:06:29 AM
Quote from: Gunnerblaster on November 12, 2010, 04:04:27 AM
Unit's of soldiers already exist as echo's. Why do they need to exist as physical entities?

I say remove/replace them. Unless there is some world-shattering HRPT/RPT going on, they are just PC Overkill.

While I understand your position on this, no.  Repeating yourself over and over is not going to make this happen.
Alright.

I'm done.
Quote from: LauraMars
Quote from: brytta.leofaLaura, did weird tribal men follow you around at age 15?
If by weird tribal men you mean Christians then yes.

Quote from: Malifaxis
She was teabagging me.

My own mother.

I wish Armageddon had a spend system with Karma, similar to SoI. I think if people had to spend their karma for an app rather than be fairly certain that can just poop out another [insert karma class] they would treat the apps more seriously.
A staff member sends you:
"Normally we don't see a <redacted> walk into a room full of <redacted> and start indiscriminately killing."

You send to staff:
"Welcome to Armageddon."

Quote from: Majikal on November 15, 2010, 11:36:43 AM
I wish Armageddon had a spend system with Karma, similar to SoI. I think if people had to spend their karma for an app rather than be fairly certain that can just poop out another [insert karma class] they would treat the apps more seriously.

This would be okay if the average PC on Armageddon lived as long as the average PC on SoI.  However, I believe it's vastly more difficult to keep a magicker alive on Armageddon than it is to keep a karma-required character alive on SoI.  My first magicker lived about 4 hours.  If I'd spent karma on it, I would've been helluva pissed.

But I really think spendable karma sends the wrong message about what karma is on Armageddon.  It isn't bonus points you get for roleplaying well.  It's more like a system of security clearances.
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: SmuzI come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: VanthSynthesis, you scare me a little bit.

Quote from: Synthesis on November 15, 2010, 11:43:15 AM

This would be okay if the average PC on Armageddon lived as long as the average PC on SoI.  However, I believe it's vastly more difficult to keep a magicker alive on Armageddon than it is to keep a karma-required character alive on SoI.  My first magicker lived about 4 hours.  If I'd spent karma on it, I would've been helluva pissed.

But I really think spendable karma sends the wrong message about what karma is on Armageddon.  It isn't bonus points you get for roleplaying well.  It's more like a system of security clearances.
And on top of what Synth said, Staff don't have the time to pass out Karma like candy. In fact, it's pretty hard earning Karma (or at least it was for me).
Quote from: brytta.leofaLaura, did weird tribal men follow you around at age 15?

She was teabagging me.

My own mother.

Quote from: Gunnerblaster on November 15, 2010, 03:36:59 PM
Quote from: Synthesis on November 15, 2010, 11:43:15 AM

And on top of what Synth said, Staff don't have the time to pass out Karma like candy. In fact, it's pretty hard earning Karma (or at least it was for me).

Nor do they really on SOI, at least not when I was roleplay admin and had to take care of that. That was my job, ensuring the people who had the RPP, roughly ARM's equivalent to karma, were deserving of it, and either taking it away or adding to their pool. Like ARM, a lot of stellar people were overlooked until I was able to spotlight them.

That being said, the approval process here, especially in regards to special apps and karma being more indicative of the level of trust the staff empower you with, is a much better system. I honestly don't think someone needs more or less the equivalent to play a god damn Arnorian Dunadan.
Case: he's more likely to shoot up a mcdonalds for selling secret obama sauce on its big macs
Kismet: didn't see you in GQ homey
BadSkeelz: Whatever you say, Kim Jong Boog
Quote from: Tuannon
There is only one boog.

Quote from: Nyr on November 12, 2010, 08:06:29 AM
Quote from: Gunnerblaster on November 12, 2010, 04:04:27 AM
Unit's of soldiers already exist as echo's. Why do they need to exist as physical entities?

I say remove/replace them. Unless there is some world-shattering HRPT/RPT going on, they are just PC Overkill.

While I understand your position on this, no.  Repeating yourself over and over is not going to make this happen.
Yo. Ever thought about instituting a mobprog for units based on the same math as the combat system? The mobprog would mute normal combat messages and insert messages appropriate for a mass of people fighting you.

For instance:

A unit of Allanaki soldiers hits you on the head, doing unspeakable damage.

...could be turned into...

Four of the soldiers in a unit of Allanaki soldiers penetrate your defensive maneuvers and land heavy blows.

...and:

You solidly slash a unit of Allanaki soldiers.

...turns into...

You land a decent blow to two of the fighters in a unit of Allanaki soldiers.

Replacing the generic combat messages for units, which are fine for single entity on single entity, allows a more fluid and interesting scene when faced with fighting units.
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

Quote from: Ami on November 23, 2010, 03:40:39 PM
>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870

November 17, 2010, 03:32:43 PM #1132 Last Edit: November 17, 2010, 03:34:15 PM by Gunnerblaster
Would it be plausible to have Unit NPC's default to doing one of the four categories of damage (or all types, randomly), ie; Slashing, Bludgeoning, Piercing and/or Chopping damage?

She was teabagging me.

My own mother.

Quote from: The7DeadlyVenomz on November 15, 2010, 11:42:58 PM
Yo. Ever thought about instituting a mobprog for units based on the same math as the combat system? The mobprog would mute normal combat messages and insert messages appropriate for a mass of people fighting you.

For instance:

A unit of Allanaki soldiers hits you on the head, doing unspeakable damage.

...could be turned into...

Four of the soldiers in a unit of Allanaki soldiers penetrate your defensive maneuvers and land heavy blows.

...and:

You solidly slash a unit of Allanaki soldiers.

...turns into...

You land a decent blow to two of the fighters in a unit of Allanaki soldiers.

Replacing the generic combat messages for units, which are fine for single entity on single entity, allows a more fluid and interesting scene when faced with fighting units.

We've got an idea about that floating around for Arm 2.  I know for sure I've been involved in a discussion about it.

edit to add the quote I meant
Quote from: LauraMars on December 15, 2016, 08:17:36 PMPaint on a mustache and be a dude for a day. Stuff some melons down my shirt, cinch up a corset and pass as a girl.

With appropriate roleplay of course.

I have a strange two-sided reaction when I hear about Arm 2.
I think:
1) Oh wow! All new Armageddon game, yay yay yay yay!
and
2) OMG Armageddon is going to end and all be over noes noes noes!

As you can imagine this causes some inner turmoil and conflict.  ???
The Devil doesn't dawdle.

For all I know this could exist, but I want a tag: (dead for over a year) tacked on to dead characters on your list of characters.

I have no skills at remembering how much time has passed.  :-[

(edit: whoops, was supposed to be quoted, cut and posted elsewhere.)
"I am a cipher, wrapped in an enigma, smothered in secret sauce."
- Jimmy James, the man so great they had to name him twice

Quote from: Nahara on November 18, 2010, 09:07:52 AM
For all I know this could exist, but I want a tag: (dead for over a year) tacked on to dead characters on your list of characters.

Request your account notes.
Quote from: scienceAn early study by Plaut and Kohn-Speyer (1947)[11] found that horse smegma had a carcinogenic effect on mice. Heins et al.(1958)

Quote from: Ampere on November 18, 2010, 04:31:38 PM
Quote from: Nahara on November 18, 2010, 09:07:52 AM

Request your account notes.

Or just check your e-mail and look for the "Death of...." e-mail you get when a char dies and check the date you received it.

Quote from: Qzzrbl on November 18, 2010, 04:42:37 PMOr just check your e-mail and look for the "Death of...." e-mail you get when a char dies and check the date you received it.
Has that been live for a year?  I'm not sure.
"I am a cipher, wrapped in an enigma, smothered in secret sauce."
- Jimmy James, the man so great they had to name him twice

Whoever suggested "whisper self" - I never really gave it much thought. And then, today, I gave it much thought. What an awesome idea.

Being able to whisper softly, to no one specific...and the opportunity for particularly astute, attentive people to overhear you. You could play someone who thinks out loud...I think this is genius.
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

Hmmm, that would be an awesome PC there, Lizzie.
Fredd-
i love being a nobles health points

For %w to show if you are riding, instead of needing %k also on your prompt. Just without the short description of the critter and only saying 'ridding'.
Would make my prompt 50% less. lol

More cheese.
"Don't take life too seriously, nobody ever makes it out alive anyway."

The "dot syntax" for the new forage code.

Thanks Aaron Goulet for pointing that out.
Fredd-
i love being a nobles health points

Quote from: Lizzie on November 18, 2010, 06:29:48 PM
Whoever suggested "whisper self" - I never really gave it much thought. And then, today, I gave it much thought. What an awesome idea.

Being able to whisper softly, to no one specific...and the opportunity for particularly astute, attentive people to overhear you. You could play someone who thinks out loud...I think this is genius.

Agree! A big improvement over the >emote mutters that I have long relied on.

Quote from: hyzhenhok on November 20, 2010, 04:08:45 AM

hemote mutters [stuff]
is probably the best way to fake this for now.
Ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam

Quote from: Delirium on August 04, 2014, 10:11:38 AM
fuck authority smoke weed erryday

oh and here's a free videogame.

Quote from: lordcooper on November 20, 2010, 05:17:47 AM

hemote mutters [stuff]

No, it's a Bad Thing to use speech that bypasses the language code. Only people who are both attentive listeners and understand mirukkim should be able to understand a muttering dwarf, for example.

(h)emote mutters
think blah blah blah blah

Is a better approximation.
Is better.

Quote from: hyzhenhok on November 20, 2010, 07:36:29 AM
Quote from: lordcooper on November 20, 2010, 05:17:47 AM

hemote mutters [stuff]

No, it's a Bad Thing to use speech that bypasses the language code. Only people who are both attentive listeners and understand mirukkim should be able to understand a muttering dwarf, for example.

(h)emote mutters
think blah blah blah blah

Is a better approximation.
Is better.

You're right, I guess.  People should ignore it if they don't know the language, but that could be pretty hard to do.

I would absolutely love to be able to 'whisper mug' though.

Can we 'tell' inanimate objects?
Ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam

Quote from: Delirium on August 04, 2014, 10:11:38 AM
fuck authority smoke weed erryday

oh and here's a free videogame.