Random Tiny CODE Wants

Started by daedroug, April 21, 2009, 11:25:21 PM

Quote from: bcw81 on October 16, 2010, 05:06:12 PM
Quote from: DustMight on October 16, 2010, 03:26:32 PM

Clearly if someone wants to beat a dead horse, let them.  What's the horse to you?  You don't have to read it.

Actually, staff do.

Welcome to responsibility.  The still have a choice whether to engage or not.  Stopping discussion has rarely been fruitful in my experience.

The point is that this isn't the point of this thread.  This thread is for throwing out ideas, not for discussing them.  If you want to tangent into a discussion of an idea, make a new thread and link back to the post in this thread that you're referencing.  That easy.  Now, I'm out of this thread so as to not further contribute to spamming it.
"I am a cipher, wrapped in an enigma, smothered in secret sauce."
- Jimmy James, the man so great they had to name him twice

Quote from: bcw81 on October 16, 2010, 05:06:12 PM
Quote from: DustMight on October 16, 2010, 03:26:32 PM

Clearly if someone wants to beat a dead horse, let them.  What's the horse to you?  You don't have to read it.

Actually, staff do.

If that's true, that's quite possibly the worst rule I've ever heard.  There is absolutely no reason why the staff should have to read every post/thread on the GDB, since 90% of it is unrelated to the game, player-player banter, or pointless debates that go nowhere.

I wish the staff would ease up on the GDB censorship, too.  That's probably my least-favorite thing in the game right now.

RTW:  A warning system for when your character is about to move from a room with decent weather to a room with complete sandstorm nastiness.  It really sucks to go from a drifting sands to omgwtf sandstorm in one room, and not be able to get back.

>w
You are about to head into a sandstorm that will blind and confuse you, and you may not be able to find your way back!  Type 'west' to continue.

Look west
[near]
Nothing but a fine day.
[far]
Nothing but a sandstorm.
[Super far]
Gith
sandstorm
You lift ~ with all your strength.
A long length of bone doesn't move.

Quote from: Old Kank on October 17, 2010, 12:56:46 AM
RTW:  A warning system for when your character is about to move from a room with decent weather to a room with complete sandstorm nastiness.  It really sucks to go from a drifting sands to omgwtf sandstorm in one room, and not be able to get back.

Corollary to this, it would be nice to get a warning when you're about to walk over the edge of a precipice and plummet to the ground.  Sometimes 'On a Ledge Overhanging the Scenic 5 Mile Abyss' isn't actually a ledge but the beginning of the 5 mile abyss.

It would also be cool to be able to walk up to these edges and deliberately type 'down' to try to climb down.  I always feel like I'm Wile E. Coyote and running out into open air, then scrambling to find some way back to something solid, even when the climb check succeeds.

Quote from: Kronus on October 17, 2010, 11:27:16 AM

Corollary to this, it would be nice to get a warning when you're about to walk over the edge of a precipice and plummet to the ground.  Sometimes 'On a Ledge Overhanging the Scenic 5 Mile Abyss' isn't actually a ledge but the beginning of the 5 mile abyss.

It would also be cool to be able to walk up to these edges and deliberately type 'down' to try to climb down.  I always feel like I'm Wile E. Coyote and running out into open air, then scrambling to find some way back to something solid, even when the climb check succeeds.

Yes, god, yes, please.

Quote from: DustMight on October 17, 2010, 04:12:34 PM

Yes, god, yes, please.

You send to an intimidating templar:
"I'm riding that golden kank back now, it will be with you within the hour"

The intimidating templar sends you:
"Ah good, you will be greatly rewarded for this, maybe a promotion is in store for you..."

you send to an intimidating templar:
"Thank you sir, I will not fail y- aaah"

an intimidating templar sends you,
"What happened!? Gith?"

you send an intimidating templar
"I've fallen... and I can't get up..."

Quote from: Old Kank on October 17, 2010, 12:56:46 AM

I so completely and totally agree with this.
Quote from: ZoltanWhen in doubt, play dangerous, awkward or intense situations to the hilt, every time.

The Official GDB Hate Cycle

I would love it if the flag for 'nosave combat' also stopped auto-attack swings after you use a 'combat' skill such as kick or disarm.  Love it to death.  Pretty please with a cherry on top?

I wanna be silty instead of dusty when I take a swim in the Sea. Rawr!
Quote from: MeTekillot on July 11, 2011, 04:23:45 PM
Be a dick, but don't over-dick it.

"exits" listing enterable buildings?

More quit-safe rooms spread throughout random rooms of the desert.

Sometimes I want to just be able to log-out, rather than having to cross a quarter of the known world to reach that old cave-turned fort where your character can bunk down for a few days.

We don't have to read this thread, but a lot of us that have the ability to manipulate the code of the game even in small ways DO read this thread.  If you keep posting over and over on the same topic in a thread meant to display many topics, you should post your derail in its own topic.  Other legitimate ideas might get squashed because you can't be bothered to make a new thread.
Quote from: LauraMars on December 15, 2016, 08:17:36 PMPaint on a mustache and be a dude for a day. Stuff some melons down my shirt, cinch up a corset and pass as a girl.

With appropriate roleplay of course.

I think it would be great to have shields be sheatheable on your back, as you can with larger weapons. This suggestion was raised years ago, so sayeth search, but doesn't appear to have been implemented.

The majority of characters are going to wear packs on their back slot, the typical wear slot of a shield, because there are few alternative containers which hold any worthwhile amount (would be great to get some shoulder slot bags or something, as a side note). This means that you're left carrying your big shield in your 'hands,' or having to pull it in and out of your pack, when the size difference there is probably redonkulous.

October 22, 2010, 03:54:00 PM #1089 Last Edit: October 22, 2010, 05:20:44 PM by Gunnerblaster
Quote from: Akoto on October 22, 2010, 02:02:48 PM

• I think it would be great to have shields be sheatheable on your back, as you can with larger weapons.
  • would be great to get some shoulder slot bags or something, as a side note
THIS!

Edited to Add:

And the Ability to watch a direction while sitting.

>sit (hunkering down in the scrub)

>watch west
Quote from: LauraMars
Quote from: brytta.leofaLaura, did weird tribal men follow you around at age 15?
If by weird tribal men you mean Christians then yes.

Quote from: Malifaxis
She was teabagging me.

My own mother.

I'd like to be able to roll whole tubes of spice! I always feel a bit short changed.

Three way Waying.

QuoteA female voice says, in sirihish:
     "] yer a wizard, oashi"

I wouldn't be surprised if that sort of thing was a mindbender skill.
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: SmuzI come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: VanthSynthesis, you scare me a little bit.

I'd like it if tailors/armor repair people could fix blackened/burned items.

Quote from: Akoto on October 22, 2010, 02:02:48 PM
I think it would be great to have shields be sheatheable on your back, as you can with larger weapons. This suggestion was raised years ago, so sayeth search, but doesn't appear to have been implemented.

How are you going to fit a shield AND a backpack on your back? Shields are big. If you're attaching the shield to the backpack then the 'sheath back' slot isn't the appropriate way to represent that, either.

Having a shield offers numerous very powerful coded advantages. Using up the backpack slot is the price you pay for them. You can still carry a lot of things with a quiver/waistpack (waist slot), belt, and in your cloak; if you really really want more carry space, there are bandoliers, strap-sheathes, pouched boots, pants with pockets, pouches you can wear in practically every slot, sashes, etc... I bet you could even get Salarr to make you an axe with pouches on it so you can have an axe in your axe. There are plenty of non-backpack options.

I'm glad that PCs can't wear a backpack and a shield at the same time-you trade carrying capacity for combat power. Characters using large bows run into similar problems, since those end up using a sheath or backpack slot as well, and again it's a tradeoff. You should just carry less shit, dude.

Because it's silly that you can't strap a bow, shield, quiver, or whatever else over your shoulder or to your pack, when it's entirely feasible to do so.

Also, anyone that really wants a pack and a shield will wear the pack and carry the shield. What is actually gained from preventing them from hanging the shield from their pack?
All the world will be your enemy. When they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you; digger, listener, runner, Prince with the swift warning. Be cunning, and full of tricks, and your people will never be destroyed.

Quote from: HavokBlue on October 24, 2010, 03:56:27 PM
Also, anyone that really wants a pack and a shield will wear the pack and carry the shield. What is actually gained from preventing them from hanging the shield from their pack?

Yeah, I've just seen people get around the problem by putting the shield in the pack, or just equipping the shield constantly (the latter been by far the most jarring, especially when it's an enormous tower shield, but I usually try to just imagine it's strapped to their wrist or something).

If you think the shield skill is overpowered (haven't used it for ages so I can't comment on that personally)... well... I'd much rather see the skill balanced in other ways than minor inconveniences such as not having anywhere to put it.

Maybe a shoulder strap (wearable on the shoulder) used to carry a shield? Just an idea.
The Devil doesn't dawdle.

It would be neat to be able to wear smaller shields on the forearms.
Quote from: LauraMars
Quote from: brytta.leofaLaura, did weird tribal men follow you around at age 15?
If by weird tribal men you mean Christians then yes.

Quote from: Malifaxis
She was teabagging me.

My own mother.

I think there are bucklers you can wear on your wrists. But I don't even know if those work as shields, and I doubt they do.

If they don't, my random tiny want is that they should function as shields :>