Random Tiny CODE Wants

Started by daedroug, April 21, 2009, 11:25:21 PM

Quote from: brytta.leofa on September 29, 2010, 12:06:46 AM
- The search skill gives a large bonus to both search and hide.

I didn't make this clear, but I envisioned that objects would be hidden at a certain level, not just "hidden" or "not hidden"--the goodness of the hiding depending on your skills and a random roll.  If you've mastered search and city scan, you can hide things in your apartment very well indeed.

Since the skills required to find stuff are the same as to hide stuff and you get a bonus for finding things you hid yourself, you should always be able to eventually find stuff you've hidden.

However, it might be sensible to always penalize hide in the city and search in the wilderness.  It's easier for your stuff to get discovered indoors; it's harder to find it again outdoors.
The sword is sharp, the spear is long,
The arrow swift, the Gate is strong.
The heart is bold that looks on gold;
The dwarves no more shall suffer wrong.

I do not like the idea of two perception skills being used in conjunction like that.
"I am a cipher, wrapped in an enigma, smothered in secret sauce."
- Jimmy James, the man so great they had to name him twice

Quote from: brytta.leofa on September 29, 2010, 12:06:46 AM
I want to be able to hide objects in a room.

Syntax:
> hide backpack
You look around for a place to hide your bone-studded backpack.
Digging a shallow pit, you hide your bone-studded backpack in the shifting sands.
> search pack
You begin searching the area.
You don't find any 'pack' here.

- Anyone can do it.
- Perception skills (indoor or outdoor) give a bonus to both search and hide in the appropriate terrain.
- The search skill gives a large bonus to both search and hide.
- It's easier to find things you hid yourself.
- Hidden objects are only saved in save rooms, if that makes things substantially easier to code.  Whatever.
- If you're hiding, you can hide small objects without breaking your hide status.
- You can search while hidden, but with a penalty against success and a chance of breaking hide.

- You ALWAYS find things you hid yourself.
- Scan can alert you to the presence of hidden objects.
Quote from: scienceAn early study by Plaut and Kohn-Speyer (1947)[11] found that horse smegma had a carcinogenic effect on mice. Heins et al.(1958)

Quote from: Ampere on September 29, 2010, 05:30:36 PM
- You ALWAYS find things you hid yourself.
- Scan can alert you to the presence of hidden objects.

I think you should expect to sometimes lose stuff you hide in the dessert.  This is Armageddon; we got to keep things a little bit frustrating. ;)

Really I think search is a better skill match for both abilities (hide object/find object) than either hide or scan.  But AFAIK it's a much rarer skill.
The sword is sharp, the spear is long,
The arrow swift, the Gate is strong.
The heart is bold that looks on gold;
The dwarves no more shall suffer wrong.

I know I already said it, but I would like to elaborate.

Muttering:
A mixture between 'say' and the language code.

>Mutter (grimacing) Suk Krath be damned.
You mutter in sirihish, grimacing:
"Suk Krath be damned."

Others hear:
The Amos-like, Amos-ee guy mutters in sirihish, grimacing:
"Suk ...th b... dam..."

QuoteA female voice says, in sirihish:
     "] yer a wizard, oashi"

Speech embedded in emotes. For example,

em "Good morning, Lord Fancy Pants," @ says with a tip of ~hat to ~fancy. "I hope you are well."

I want this because I would find it aesthetically pleasing to write prose that appears more like what you find in books.

Obviously, the needed change is that the code needs to know that the text between double quotes is affected by the language code like any other mode of spoken communication.

Quote from: Drayab on September 30, 2010, 01:42:48 AM
Speech embedded in emotes. For example,

em "Good morning, Lord Fancy Pants," @ says with a tip of ~hat to ~fancy. "I hope you are well."

I want this because I would find it aesthetically pleasing to write prose that appears more like what you find in books.

Obviously, the needed change is that the code needs to know that the text between double quotes is affected by the language code like any other mode of spoken communication.
I won't lie. I would orgasm. Or at least get hard.

Quote from: bcw81 on September 29, 2010, 09:46:36 PM
I know I already said it, but I would like to elaborate.

Muttering:
A mixture between 'say' and the language code.

>Mutter (grimacing) Suk Krath be damned.
You mutter in sirihish, grimacing:
"Suk Krath be damned."

Others hear:
The Amos-like, Amos-ee guy mutters in sirihish, grimacing:
"Suk ...th b... dam..."

Just modify whisper to include one's self, as in: whisper self/me.
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

Quote from: Ami on November 23, 2010, 03:40:39 PM
>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870

September 30, 2010, 07:00:19 AM #1057 Last Edit: September 30, 2010, 07:02:26 AM by DustMight
Edit to Add:

Never mind.  I'm a fool.

September 30, 2010, 07:02:21 AM #1058 Last Edit: September 30, 2010, 07:07:16 AM by Gunnerblaster
For all you would-be gamblers & Smokers! ;D

Roll     (General)

This command allows your character to roll an object, typically a die or some dice. If you are near a table, you can roll the dice on the table. Once the dice are rolled others can use 'look <dice>' or 'look <dice> <table>' to see the result.

Syntax:
   roll <object>
   roll <object> <table>

Example:
   > roll dice
   > roll dice bar

QuoteMake     (Equipment)

This command allows those with the know-how, to craft raw materials into finished goods. Currently, rolling smokes is the only action possible using this command which does not require the appropriate crafting skill. In order to roll a cigarette properly, one needs a suitable type of paper, and a spice to be rolled into it.

This command is also used when pitching tents.

Syntax:
    make <object> <component 1> <component 2> ...

Example:
    > make smoke vellum ginka
    > make tent
Quote from: LauraMars
Quote from: brytta.leofaLaura, did weird tribal men follow you around at age 15?
If by weird tribal men you mean Christians then yes.

Quote from: Malifaxis
She was teabagging me.

My own mother.

Make tattoos visible on a PC corpse. Mostly when we die we got robbed, pants and boots and all, faster than a bolt of lightning, it would be nice to have something of yours left behind and still on your short-lived rotting remains.
Plus there is no IC reason why you wouldn't be able to see these tattoos on a body. One could argue wounds/decay whatever would destroy them, but since no wounds/decay are currently implemented, to any recognisable level, I think you should be able to see the tattoos on a corpse.
The Devil doesn't dawdle.

Quote from: Scarecrow on September 30, 2010, 07:04:21 PM
Make tattoos visible on a PC corpse. Mostly when we die we got robbed, pants and boots and all, faster than a bolt of lightning, it would be nice to have something of yours left behind and still on your short-lived rotting remains.
Plus there is no IC reason why you wouldn't be able to see these tattoos on a body. One could argue wounds/decay whatever would destroy them, but since no wounds/decay are currently implemented, to any recognisable level, I think you should be able to see the tattoos on a corpse.

I'm happy we have ldescs saved on bodies now, but tattoos too would be awesome.
I tripped and Fale down my stairs. Drink milk and you'll grow Uaptal. I know this guy from the state of Tenneshi. This house will go up Borsail tomorrow. I gave my book to him Nenyuk it back again. I hired this guy golfing to Kadius around for a while.

Quote from: Scarecrow on September 30, 2010, 07:04:21 PM

I agree wholeheartedly. It should be easy to identify almost anyone by their tattoos, in Tuluk, Allanak, Luirs, the Tablelands, heck...E'rryone's got tattoos.
"You will have useful work: the destruction of evil men. What work could be more useful? This is Beyond; you will find that your work is never done -- So therefore you may never know a life of peace."

~Jack Vance~

My random want.

I want settable PC flags verses intelligent NPCs (other then clanning)

Example, Your PC travels a certain area every day for three years, in that time he/she kills 1500 gith (because they attack him/her) Staff is able to set a flag of race_gith_neutral. This would cause gith that do not have the guardian flag to leave your PC alone. If you started attacking them anyway, Maybe staff could then set the flag to race_gith_flee Which would cause gith to actively evade your PC if seen within 1-2 rooms.

Of course that flag should have a script to echo on staff channels if your PC does shoot/engage gith and help them react to the menace.
A gaunt, yellow-skinned gith shrieks in fear, and hauls ass.
Lizzie:
If you -want- me to think that your character is a hybrid of a black kryl and a white push-broom shaped like a penis, then you've done a great job

I like that a lot.
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

Quote from: Ami on November 23, 2010, 03:40:39 PM
>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870

Quote from: X-D on October 15, 2010, 05:26:19 PM
My random want.

I want settable PC flags verses intelligent NPCs (other then clanning)

Example, Your PC travels a certain area every day for three years, in that time he/she kills 1500 gith (because they attack him/her) Staff is able to set a flag of race_gith_neutral. This would cause gith that do not have the guardian flag to leave your PC alone. If you started attacking them anyway, Maybe staff could then set the flag to race_gith_flee Which would cause gith to actively evade your PC if seen within 1-2 rooms.

Of course that flag should have a script to echo on staff channels if your PC does shoot/engage gith and help them react to the menace.

Yes!
"A man's past is not simply a dead history... it is a still quivering part of himself, bringing shudders and bitter flavours and the tinglings of a merited shame."
-George Eliot

I've wanted something like that for a long time, I just wasn't able to state it elegantly, as X-D said.

So the converse would be race_gith_aggressive, right, where every gith in 50 rooms tracks straight to your PC to bring him down?

I like.
A dark-shelled scrab pinches at you, but you dodge out of the way.
A dark-shelled scrab brandishes its bone-handled, obsidian scimitar.
A dark-shelled scrab holds its bloodied wicked-edged, bone scimitar.

Well, I prefer for that to be staff animated, the intent is to get them to act like they have some kind of brains and emotions, Sadly code and even staff often treat intelligent NPCs like mindless mobs flinging them wholesale into things they KNOW they are going to get slaughtered on and for no good reason.

Lets face it, the reason that gith is in my Sig is because it is the ONLY npc to ever act in a realistic fashion when confronted with a known battle master.

It was when I was playing Kon, Somebody who was known and yes, even to gith, Halflings, Mantis and more, to be one bad mofo who would not hunt them but would not run either.

And these are supposed to be thinking beings with language, some even have written language, they talk to each other, after a while they are going to stop throwing themselves into death for no reason.

Specially gith, gith culture is very much might makes right, they respect that, they would respect somebody who has proven they are mighty. But no, the code will keep throwing them at you, over and over and over and over.
Lizzie:
If you -want- me to think that your character is a hybrid of a black kryl and a white push-broom shaped like a penis, then you've done a great job

X-D you can also take this in another direction. Most gith don't fight to the death - Some will try to escape.

If you, part of a war-based race, took down someone your race regarded as frightfully powerful, don't you think you have something pretty massive to gain from killing them?
Quote from: LauraMars
Quote from: brytta.leofaLaura, did weird tribal men follow you around at age 15?
If by weird tribal men you mean Christians then yes.

Quote from: Malifaxis
She was teabagging me.

My own mother.

Quote from: Gunnerblaster on October 16, 2010, 03:09:48 AM
X-D you can also take this in another direction. Most gith don't fight to the death - Some will try to escape.

If you, part of a war-based race, took down someone your race regarded as frightfully powerful, don't you think you have something pretty massive to gain from killing them?

Yeah. Another thing which would be nice is if lone gith or small groups of gith would avoid attacking large groups of heavily armed soldiers and mercs traveling through their territory, or would run away if attacked by overwhelming numbers.

HTX, most of those scenarios should be done in the realm of an RPT which staff should be notified of so that they can make things react appropriately, to the best of their ability and knowledge, and they have plenty of other staff to consult with.

October 16, 2010, 10:44:29 AM #1071 Last Edit: October 16, 2010, 10:47:30 AM by X-D
Actually, MOST gith DO fight to the death, only a small % do not.

Next, it is not about gith, it is about supposedly smart beings that throw themselves at things in a lemming type manner because the code is a yes/no deal.

And far as..
QuoteIf you, part of a war-based race, took down someone your race regarded as frightfully powerful, don't you think you have something pretty massive to gain from killing them?

They are not war based, but let us assume they are, Now assume again that they can THINK, just for a moment please. Now This frightfully powerful being has CRUSHED the BEST Champion your entire species has to offer, but since it was "fair" combat left that champion live as well. Now, as a thinking feeling being, what are the odds that if you cannot beat that champion, you are going to think it is a good idea to throw yourself at the one that beat him years later when you KNOW they are even more powerful? (The above really did happen)

You would not attack the dragon alone, Sure, you know that if you killed him you would be real famous and all that, but you KNOW it is pointless to even try.

But keep in mind, the entire Want, is simply for a bit of flagging and a few simple scripts to go with them that allows for more robust and smart NPC action without writing 120 new scripts and without the need for staff intervention each time.
Lizzie:

And I think people have harassed the idea enough for the RTW, which the staff have asked us not to spam.  Leave it alone, huh, guys?

Quote from: Marshmellow on October 16, 2010, 12:51:33 PM
And I think people have harassed the idea enough for the RTW, which the staff have asked us not to spam.  Leave it alone, huh, guys?

I don't understand this or Nyr's locking of a previous post for "[topic] already being discussed, and we're done."

1. This is a discussion board.
2. If people want to discuss a topic (and it doesn't violate game rules), it might as well be done on a discussion board.
3. Who is anyone else to say when a topic is done.  That's a very parental attitude.

I'm tempted to open up a discussion board for topics that don't violate game rules but that are locked from discussion for silly reasons like "We don't want to hear about it anymore" or "Leave it alone guys." 

Clearly if someone wants to beat a dead horse, let them.  What's the horse to you?  You don't have to read it.

Quote from: DustMight on October 16, 2010, 03:26:32 PM

Clearly if someone wants to beat a dead horse, let them.  What's the horse to you?  You don't have to read it.

Actually, staff do.

QuoteA female voice says, in sirihish:
     "] yer a wizard, oashi"