Random Tiny CODE Wants

Started by daedroug, April 21, 2009, 11:25:21 PM

For people to actually take a glance at the quickstart. Namely, in the not imposing your OOC gender stereotypes. And your OOC sexual stereotypes.

Quote from: MeTekillot on August 22, 2010, 03:08:28 PM
For people to actually take a glance at the quickstart. Namely, in the not imposing your OOC gender stereotypes. And your OOC sexual stereotypes.

A calm, quiet +1

The mottled, tattooed half-elf stops using his dusty long-legged brown cricket.

Think Poor cricket...

Quote from: bcw81 on August 14, 2010, 11:01:39 PM
Single handed weapon skill plz.

It would be nice if there were a single-handed skill in place, something that would give its own bonuses and functions as other skills might have. I know the snarky answer is "We already have one!" but this is something that could actually be delved into with more detail. Perhaps by keeping your off hand free, you boost all of your remaining combat abilities, but less than you would using something that grants a large bonus to a particular skill. So you'd be better at parrying, but not as good as if you were using your off hand for X, better disarming, but not as good as Y, better bashing, but not as good as Z and a higher damage output than 1 but not so high as 2.

Then again, I'm totally for weapon talents offering functions other than variations between damage, attack speed and bonuses/negatives to certain skills. How about piercing weapons offering low-damage critical hits, but instead creating a gaping wound in creatures that bleed, causing them to seek a bandage or rest?

This is somewhat realized in bludgeoning weapons, since it's obvious that being hit with a club in particular areas will probably knock you senseless, but otherwise the rest of the skills seem pretty standard.

Fully realized (and my fantasy) would be something along the lines of:

-Piercing Weapons causing bleeding wounds, with varying levels of bleeding.
-Slashing Weapons hindering functions depending on where a critical hit lands. Critical hit to the foot? Hamstring for a bit, or until you receive medical attention/rest. Critical hit to the arm? Penalties to whatever said arm is being used for.
-Chopping Weapons having insanely high critical damage, though less armor penetrating potential than Piercing/Slashing.
-Bludgeoning Weapons having a chance to paralyze someone depending on where you strike and how hard. A reel is a reel, but how awesome would it be if:
The tall, muscular man slashes at you, but you dodge out of the way.
You bludgeon the tall, muscular man in the back, paralyzing him.
The tall, muscular man fidgets on the ground.
You bludgeon the tall, muscular man on the head dealing horrendous damage.
-Dual Wielding brought back in line with the other skills. High offense, low defense, with your off-hand dealing far less damage than your main until reaching high enough skill levels.
-Two-Handed increasing the potential for crippling wounds and bleeding, depending on the weapon type used.
-Shield Use perhaps eventually letting you make an attack with your shield, in the same vain as certain pieces of armor.
You block the tall, muscular man's slash.
Your shield strikes the tall, muscular man in the body, setting him off-guard.
You solidly slash the tall, muscular man in the neck.

You do get bonuses to only wielding a single one-handed weapon. The staff in the past have indicated that they do not want to reveal what these 'benefits' are, however.

So just use your brain power. ;)
Quote from: Fathi on March 08, 2018, 06:40:45 PMAnd then I sat there going "really? that was it? that's so stupid."

I still think the best closure you get in Armageddon is just moving on to the next character.

I'd be perfectly happy with removing the retarded amount of extra stun damage that bludgeoning weapons inflict, as opposed to making all weapons even more dangerous.  Are you finding it too difficult to die, lately?  Is it not enough that they nerfed defense and added reeling?
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: SmuzI come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: VanthSynthesis, you scare me a little bit.

August 24, 2010, 06:11:20 AM #855 Last Edit: August 24, 2010, 06:24:50 AM by Qzzrbl
Quote from: Blackisback on August 24, 2010, 12:55:19 AM
Quote from: bcw81 on August 14, 2010, 11:01:39 PM
Single handed weapon skill plz.

It would be nice if there were a single-handed skill in place, something that would give its own bonuses and functions as other skills might have. I know the snarky answer is "We already have one!" but this is something that could actually be delved into with more detail. Perhaps by keeping your off hand free, you boost all of your remaining combat abilities, but less than you would using something that grants a large bonus to a particular skill. So you'd be better at parrying, but not as good as if you were using your off hand for X, better disarming, but not as good as Y, better bashing, but not as good as Z and a higher damage output than 1 but not so high as 2.

Then again, I'm totally for weapon talents offering functions other than variations between damage, attack speed and bonuses/negatives to certain skills. How about piercing weapons offering low-damage critical hits, but instead creating a gaping wound in creatures that bleed, causing them to seek a bandage or rest?

This is somewhat realized in bludgeoning weapons, since it's obvious that being hit with a club in particular areas will probably knock you senseless, but otherwise the rest of the skills seem pretty standard.

Fully realized (and my fantasy) would be something along the lines of:

-Piercing Weapons causing bleeding wounds, with varying levels of bleeding.
-Slashing Weapons hindering functions depending on where a critical hit lands. Critical hit to the foot? Hamstring for a bit, or until you receive medical attention/rest. Critical hit to the arm? Penalties to whatever said arm is being used for.
-Chopping Weapons having insanely high critical damage, though less armor penetrating potential than Piercing/Slashing.
-Bludgeoning Weapons having a chance to paralyze someone depending on where you strike and how hard. A reel is a reel, but how awesome would it be if:
The tall, muscular man slashes at you, but you dodge out of the way.
You bludgeon the tall, muscular man in the back, paralyzing him.
The tall, muscular man fidgets on the ground.
You bludgeon the tall, muscular man on the head dealing horrendous damage.
-Dual Wielding brought back in line with the other skills. High offense, low defense, with your off-hand dealing far less damage than your main until reaching high enough skill levels.
-Two-Handed increasing the potential for crippling wounds and bleeding, depending on the weapon type used.
-Shield Use perhaps eventually letting you make an attack with your shield, in the same vain as certain pieces of armor.
Your shield strikes the tall, muscular man in the body, setting him off-guard.
You solidly slash the tall, muscular man in the neck.

I'd be -all over- anything that makes medics more useful IG.

I've seen it happen more than once.... Guy A drags guy B into the tavern shouting, "I need a medic! Can anyone help me?!" with guy B in critical condition and dying..... Only for everyone to say, "Daherp, bring him to the viv temple, lulz."

But as far as your combat ideas.... Still seems like a couple of weapon types would still be overpowered.... What I'd really like to see is a complete reworking of the weapon skills entirely.

Like.... Instead of just slashing, bludgeoning, piercing, chopping, and all that other IC infoz stuff, break it down further into weapon types.

Slashing, etc., etc., only refers to the type of damage done, but I've never understood how a character could practice with daggers all his life, get good with daggers, kill stuff with daggers, kill people with daggers, literally -master- daggers.... But is exactly as good with spears, which he's never touched a single time in his life.

Add something like, "short-weapons" (stabbing daggers, slashing longknives, chopping knifes like kukri knives, small clubs)
"medium-weapons" (slashing short swords, stabbing halfblades, chopping heavy shortblades/small axes, bludgeoning short hammers/longer clubs)
"long-weapons" (full-blown longswords, long rapiers, warhammers/maces, axes/greatswords/cleavers)
"light pole-weapons" (light spears, small-headed pole-axes/hammers, staffs, smaller glaives)

And each one can give it's own bonuses/negs combined with the bonuses/negs of fighting styles and damage types.

etc., etc., etc.

It's probably more complicated than it's worth, but I'll always give a big thumbs up to ideas that realistically add more variables to combat.

Play in Tuluk.  Noone'll tell you to take the injured Amos to a vivaduan.  Inside Allanak, that is the easiest way to get someone healed.  It has nothing to do with how effective medics are, but how much more effective a good vivaduan is.  It's also IC, as there are plenty of good medics around.  React to it IC.
Quote from: MalifaxisWe need to listen to spawnloser.
Quote from: Reiterationspawnloser knows all

Quote from: SpoonA magicker is kind of like a mousetrap, the fear is the cheese. But this cheese has an AK47.

Quote from: spawnloser on August 24, 2010, 12:31:03 PM
Play in Tuluk.  Noone'll tell you to take the injured Amos to a vivaduan.  Inside Allanak, that is the easiest way to get someone healed.  It has nothing to do with how effective medics are, but how much more effective a good vivaduan is.  It's also IC, as there are plenty of good medics around.  React to it IC.

Either way, I'm still not a big fan of the injury code here....

"Oh noes, that mekillot chomped me down to 2hp!! ....Guess I'll take a nap."

Quote from: spawnloser on August 24, 2010, 12:31:03 PM

Ha, a merchant or ranger with maxed bandaging and the right sort of bandages can put a Vivaduan to shame, when it comes down to the coded aspect of quickly healing mass quantities of individuals back to reasonable condition.

What Synth said is very true.
A gaunt, yellow-skinned gith shrieks in fear, and hauls ass.
Lizzie:
If you -want- me to think that your character is a hybrid of a black kryl and a white push-broom shaped like a penis, then you've done a great job

Analyze.

This is a skill that I think about every class gets, but really serves little purpose for alot of them (not to mention I think aspects of it are...broken).  I think for everyone analyze should be usable to 'weigh' an item.  This solves the weight debate:

>analyze glowing-widgit
You have no idea how this is made.
You examine a glowing-widgit and estimate it to weigh about 2 stones.

If you know how to make it, then analyze would function as is:

>analyze glowing-widgit
This item is made from a glowing glowstick and a widgit frame.
You examine a glowing widgit and estimate it to weigh about 2 stones.

This would remove 'weight' as being an aspect of the value command since weight has little to do with value.

>value glowing-widgit
A glowing-widgit is worth approximately 20 obsidian coins.
A glowing-widgit appears to have been crafted by Kuraci prostitutes.

By default, the analyze skill would be used when 'viewing' items in a shop but to a lessened extent:

>view #6
This item is a glowing-widgit.  Its full of glowing goodness, with the uber coolness of a widgit.  The color of the glowing-widgit is an off-shade of awesomesauce.
A glowing-widgit is worth approximately 20 obsidian coins.
You have a vague idea how this item was made.
You estimate a glowing-widgit to weigh about 2 stones.

This also lets crafters know if a shop item is even craftable instead of buying, analyzing, and trying to sell it back in frustration.  With improvement in the ability, accuracy of guesstimating weight would increase and perhaps even shopkeeper view recipes revealed for those who can duplicate what they are viewing (or reserve that for merchant analyze)

Anyways, theres more to it than that I'm sure as far as what would be displayed and whatnot but in general thats my little random want. :)

Finding weight comes from the "value" command, not analyze. (for everyone, but the 'correctness' of the number given is based on skill_value skill level)
Analyze is specifically for discerning the proper way to replicate an item.

The weight shows for an item you "view" ONLY if you have the "value" skill, which I think is wonky.
Quote from: Twilight on January 22, 2013, 08:17:47 PMGreb - To scavenge, forage, and if Whira is with you, loot the dead.
Grebber - One who grebs.

I'd settle for effects from critical hits requiring medical care. Make those unspeakable damages FEEL like unspeakable damage. Suffer a high damage hit from a slashing or piercing weapon? Start bleeding! Take a high damage hit from a chopping or bludgeoning weapon? Take penalties to movement/combat/skills! To keep them equally deadly, make the effects of chopping/bludgeoning weapons worsen as they go on without attention.  It's nice when people roleplay out crazy damage, but in the end it's completely remedied by a quick nap.

Shot with an arrow or stuck with a throwing knife? Keep them inside you. Make it so they can't be bandaged until someone removes them, but once the arrow/knife is removed, the bleeding begins! Not only would this add a new, interesting dynamic to combat, it'd make medics a much more valuable asset than they currently are (IE not as valuable as they should be)

I'd also be happy with letting people bandage themselves under ordinary circumstances without the bandage skill. Let people keep themselves alive if they can manage to apply a bandage quickly, but perhaps their work will only offer temporary reprieve?

Bandaging shouldn't instantly restore health. It should offer a high buff to health regeneration.

Quote from: Preacher on August 23, 2010, 06:30:19 PM
Quote from: MeTekillot on August 22, 2010, 03:08:28 PM

A calm, quiet +1

Go cook me dinner, lasses.
"rogues do it from behind"
Quote[19:40] FightClub: tremendous sandstorm i can't move.
[19:40] Clearsighted: Good
[19:41] Clearsighted: Tremendous sandstorms are gods way of saving the mud from you.

Quote from: MeTekillot on August 26, 2010, 05:52:28 AM
Bandaging shouldn't instantly restore health. It should offer a high buff to health regeneration.

I love this idea.

Quote from: Old Kank on August 26, 2010, 12:40:25 PM
Quote from: MeTekillot on August 26, 2010, 05:52:28 AM

I love this idea.
Yeah, I would like that.

Like DnD with the heal skill - except it works while they are conscious, as well. So, for example - If an individual is below & between 0 and -10, a successful bandage should bring them to 1 health, so they are conscious, though very barely alive. Then another bandage to get them from 1 to whatever amount your skill/bandage will allow. I've never really liked the -8 to 47health jump with a successful bandage of a mortally wounded individual.

But I like the Heal Over Time idea. Successfully bandaging someone should give them a +3 per 5 seconds or something similar to that.
Quote from: LauraMars
Quote from: brytta.leofaLaura, did weird tribal men follow you around at age 15?
If by weird tribal men you mean Christians then yes.

Quote from: Malifaxis
She was teabagging me.

My own mother.

Regarding bandaging:

Can we just lose the HP loss for failures?  It makes it so that learning how to properly bandage is a matter of torturing your friends after they get hurt.  Loss of the bandage should be a fair enough cost for practice.

Quote from: Marauder Moe on August 26, 2010, 02:25:15 PM
Regarding bandaging:

Can we just lose the HP loss for failures?  It makes it so that learning how to properly bandage is a matter of torturing your friends after they get hurt.  Loss of the bandage should be a fair enough cost for practice.

Or a loss of 1-4 hp, max.
Quote from: Synthesis
Quote from: lordcooper
You go south and one of the other directions that isn't north.  That is seriously the limit of my geographical knowledge of Arm.
Sarge?

Quote from: Marauder Moe on August 26, 2010, 02:25:15 PM
Regarding bandaging:

+1.  Bandages ain't cheap, and opportunities to practice are few.
Quote from: ZoltanWhen in doubt, play dangerous, awkward or intense situations to the hilt, every time.

The Official GDB Hate Cycle

I've never had a problem maxing the skill.

I think bandaging is fine. Well, the damage deal could be lowered some, it is rather silly.

That and certain classes that branch it should have a higher cap. Nothing worse then branching a worthless skill.
A gaunt, yellow-skinned gith shrieks in fear, and hauls ass.
Lizzie:
If you -want- me to think that your character is a hybrid of a black kryl and a white push-broom shaped like a penis, then you've done a great job

An idea for the combat/damage code:
There are two things going on - the messages do not change with the range of damage and the range where you can no longer fight effectively and need professional attention is also the range where you are passed out (so most of the time that range = death).

Currently:
Range 1   damage is light and can walk it off
Range 2   damage is more severe and you need to rest but you can still fight
Range 3   damage is so severe you cannot fight, you are knocked unconscious and you need a help to survive

Propose:
Range 1 & 2 these are ok now, just change the messages so they are range appropriate
Add Range 3  damage is severe and you will die without help but you are not unconscious - you cannot fight but maybe you can run, use the way or something non violent. Have to be careful about abuse here - you have lost the fight but you might be able to live for another day if you get help quick enough. (HP slowly going down  maybe here 0 to -19)
Range 4  just like the old way, you are unconscious and dying (-20 to -29)

In the past people have suggested a range where you are conscious but helpless (can't move or fight).  I still think that (or at least some intermediary state between normal and negative-hitpoints/unconscious) is a good idea.

>make smoke half half

You role the half-tubes into a WHOLE tube of spice.
Quote from: Twilight on January 22, 2013, 08:17:47 PMGreb - To scavenge, forage, and if Whira is with you, loot the dead.
Grebber - One who grebs.

Quote from: FantasyWriter on August 26, 2010, 06:15:26 PM
>make smoke half half

You role the half-tubes into a WHOLE tube of spice.

What the hell difference does it make? Just smoke one, then smoke the other, sheesh.