Random Tiny CODE Wants

Started by daedroug, April 21, 2009, 11:25:21 PM

What, you want your single hand fighting to be worse?

Because that is what would happen, think of it that single hand is 100, anything else is less.
A gaunt, yellow-skinned gith shrieks in fear, and hauls ass.
Lizzie:
If you -want- me to think that your character is a hybrid of a black kryl and a white push-broom shaped like a penis, then you've done a great job

Your weapon skill(s) is (are) your single-handed fighting skill.
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: SmuzI come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: VanthSynthesis, you scare me a little bit.

Quote from: bcw81 on August 14, 2010, 11:01:39 PM
Single handed weapon skill plz.

Already one in place. o:

Right there next to the Unarmed skill. ;)

Oh... Now I feel stupid.

QuoteA female voice says, in sirihish:
     "] yer a wizard, oashi"

I agree with Dakota. That's information that should be readily available, especially from a shop that specializes in a particular type of equipment.

A way to sleep talk
Ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam

Quote from: Delirium on August 04, 2014, 10:11:38 AM
fuck authority smoke weed erryday

oh and here's a free videogame.

Neither random, or tiny, but I wish skills on Armageddon could be shifted away from the old MUD/rpg standard (The vicious grind of gathering experience to get better at doing skill X, so you can get more experience and get better at skill X), and toward a more modern style of game.

I'd like to see mundane skills broken down into a variety of situational skills that have advantages and disadvantages depending on when/where they're used.  And I'd like to see magicker trees updated to address the challenges of the RP world.

Quote from: Qzzrbl on August 19, 2010, 11:32:16 AM

These.

In game.

A giant, wtfpwnage monster of doom arrives from the east.

You think, feeling hatred for Qzzrbl:
     "Goddamn you, Qzzrbl."

Quote from: Old Kank on August 19, 2010, 03:10:59 AM
Neither random, or tiny, but I wish skills on Armageddon could be shifted away from the old MUD/rpg standard (The vicious grind of gathering experience to get better at doing skill X, so you can get more experience and get better at skill X), and toward a more modern style of game.

I'd like to see mundane skills broken down into a variety of situational skills that have advantages and disadvantages depending on when/where they're used.  And I'd like to see magicker trees updated to address the challenges of the RP world.

I like your sentiments here, perhaps you can state them with more detail?
"You will have useful work: the destruction of evil men. What work could be more useful? This is Beyond; you will find that your work is never done -- So therefore you may never know a life of peace."

~Jack Vance~

Qzzzrurbbblllz.

Don't give Shalooonsh any bright ideas.

Ok?

Quote from: Reiloth on August 20, 2010, 11:12:46 PM

I can certainly try.

Basically, what I would like to see is an arrangement of skills where some talent and proper usage on the player's part can have a significant impact on things, rather than relying mostly on skill proficiencies and player creativity.

The easiest example might be a rock-paper-scissors style arrangement using the bash skill.  First, let's break bash out into several distinct skills:
Shield Bash - Similar to bash as it exists now; if you have a shield, you try to smash people with it.
Trip - No shield needed; can be done from a standing position, but works best from a seated position.
Take-down - You try to throw your opponent to the ground; has a high chance of success if you're unarmed.

So, a fight between two skilled warriors might look like this:

The tall, muscular man disarms the golden-tressed woman!
The tall, muscular man slashes the golden-tressed woman on her arm.

The golden-tressed woman grapples with the tall, muscular man, and throws him to the ground!

The tall, muscular man kicks the golden-tressed woman in the shin, and she falls over!
The tall, muscular man stands up.

That's fairly basic example of what I was thinking of.  You could mix things up further by giving the 'Trip' skill to assassins and burglars, and suddenly bash isn't a hit/miss skill.

For another, more complicated example, break apart the shield use and archery skills:
Shield Block - Using a shield in combat
Blockade - Using a shield to prevent people outside a room from entering.
Cover - Cower behind a shield, sacrificing offense for defense; highly effective against archery
Barricade - Same as Cover, but no shield needed.  Delay before.

Bows - Basic skill with a bow.
Ranged Shot - Basic infantry-style archery that focuses more on distance than hitting a specific target.  Minimal delay.
Targeted Shot - A carefully aimed shot.  High damage, but long delay before.
Stealth Shot - The ability to not break stealth while firing an arrow
Riding Shot - The ability to fire uninterrupted while moving through rooms while on a mount.

In this case, a meeting between a Red Fang and the Byn might look like this:

The golden-tressed woman frowns, as she stares off to the north.

The tall, muscular man shouts, in sirihish:
    "Everybody take cover!"

A black-fletched arrow flies in from the north, striking the tall, muscular man in the throat!
The tall, muscular man crumples to the ground.

The golden-tressed woman takes cover behind a leather-bound buckler.
The stocky, bald dwarf takes cover behind a kite shield.

A black-fletched arrow streaks down from the sky, landing harmlessly in the ground.

A black-fletched arrow streaks down from the sky, striking the stocky, bald dwarf's kite shield.

Yeah, anyway.  That's the kind of stuff I was thinking.  Create skills that counter other skills, so that combat (and other things) are more than just a comparison of skill proficiencies.

As far as magickers, I don't want to say too much about game mechanics, but I'd like to see their skill trees build upon the lower spells rather than just branching more-powerful, but mostly unrelated spells.  Some magicker classes already do this, but most don't.

For example, the Rogue Elementalist class might start with "Subtle Casting" that masks their casting messages, and that spell may branch into "All Hearing" that allows them to hear everything said in a room.  Casting "All Hearing" in the Sun King's Sanctuary on its own would be a death sentence, but when coupled with "Subtle Casting" it might produce some information.

Quote from: Old Kank on August 21, 2010, 01:33:48 AM
Quote from: Reiloth on August 20, 2010, 11:12:46 PM

I can certainly try.

Basically, what I would like to see is an arrangement of skills where some talent and proper usage on the player's part can have a significant impact on things, rather than relying mostly on skill proficiencies and player creativity.

The easiest example might be a rock-paper-scissors style arrangement using the bash skill.  First, let's break bash out into several distinct skills:
Shield Bash - Similar to bash as it exists now; if you have a shield, you try to smash people with it.
Trip - No shield needed; can be done from a standing position, but works best from a seated position.
Take-down - You try to throw your opponent to the ground; has a high chance of success if you're unarmed.

So, a fight between two skilled warriors might look like this:

The tall, muscular man disarms the golden-tressed woman!
The tall, muscular man slashes the golden-tressed woman on her arm.

The golden-tressed woman grapples with the tall, muscular man, and throws him to the ground!

The tall, muscular man kicks the golden-tressed woman in the shin, and she falls over!
The tall, muscular man stands up.

That's fairly basic example of what I was thinking of.  You could mix things up further by giving the 'Trip' skill to assassins and burglars, and suddenly bash isn't a hit/miss skill.

For another, more complicated example, break apart the shield use and archery skills:
Shield Block - Using a shield in combat
Blockade - Using a shield to prevent people outside a room from entering.
Cover - Cower behind a shield, sacrificing offense for defense; highly effective against archery
Barricade - Same as Cover, but no shield needed.  Delay before.

Bows - Basic skill with a bow.
Ranged Shot - Basic infantry-style archery that focuses more on distance than hitting a specific target.  Minimal delay.
Targeted Shot - A carefully aimed shot.  High damage, but long delay before.
Stealth Shot - The ability to not break stealth while firing an arrow
Riding Shot - The ability to fire uninterrupted while moving through rooms while on a mount.

In this case, a meeting between a Red Fang and the Byn might look like this:

The golden-tressed woman frowns, as she stares off to the north.

The tall, muscular man shouts, in sirihish:
    "Everybody take cover!"

A black-fletched arrow flies in from the north, striking the tall, muscular man in the throat!
The tall, muscular man crumples to the ground.

The golden-tressed woman takes cover behind a leather-bound buckler.
The stocky, bald dwarf takes cover behind a kite shield.

A black-fletched arrow streaks down from the sky, landing harmlessly in the ground.

A black-fletched arrow streaks down from the sky, striking the stocky, bald dwarf's kite shield.

Yeah, anyway.  That's the kind of stuff I was thinking.  Create skills that counter other skills, so that combat (and other things) are more than just a comparison of skill proficiencies.

As far as magickers, I don't want to say too much about game mechanics, but I'd like to see their skill trees build upon the lower spells rather than just branching more-powerful, but mostly unrelated spells.  Some magicker classes already do this, but most don't.

For example, the Rogue Elementalist class might start with "Subtle Casting" that masks their casting messages, and that spell may branch into "All Hearing" that allows them to hear everything said in a room.  Casting "All Hearing" in the Sun King's Sanctuary on its own would be a death sentence, but when coupled with "Subtle Casting" it might produce some information.

I kinda like this....

August 21, 2010, 02:10:55 AM #839 Last Edit: August 21, 2010, 12:49:10 PM by Bilanthri
For example, the Rogue Elementalist class might start with "Subtle Casting" that masks their casting messages, and that spell may branch into "All Hearing" that allows them to hear everything said in a room.  Casting "All Hearing" in the Sun King's Sanctuary on its own would be a death sentence, but when coupled with "Subtle Casting" it might produce some information.

There was a proficiency in the old 2nd ed. AD&D Dark Sun books called Somatic Concealment that did exactly this. I always thought it would be a great addition. Of course it would be irrelevant for spells that create an obvious physical manifestation.
"Let us endeavor so to live that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry."
- Samuel Clemens

I'd love for new characters to spawn with a belt.

Quote from: Bilanthri on August 21, 2010, 02:10:55 AM

There was a proficiency in the old 2nd ed. AD&D Dark Sun books called Somatic Concealment that did exactly this. I always thought it would be a great addition. Of course it would be irrelevant for spells that create a obvious physical manifestation.

If I could change any one thing about this game, it would be to give all casters a way to hide their ability.  The way we play the game has changed, so while outdated help files promise that "water mages are highly employable, amongst those who would hire any mage," in practice hardly anyone hires mages and yet they lack the skills to compensate for being unemployable or to cope with being driven underground.

I'd also like to see rock-paper-scissors triangles set up for non-combat and RP-centered skills.

Expand on the assess skill so that anyone with proficiency in the right skill can assess the quality of an item.  A warrior with an advanced slashing weapons skill should be able to look at an obsidian shortsword and tell if it's a better weapon than his bone shortsword.  Then...

Give melee classes a crafting skills like Refine Slashing Weapons, Refine Armor, Refine Bows, etc., that let them sharpen swords, pad armors, and tighten bows, and have those refined effects show up under the assess skill.

>assess dagger
You test its weight and decide that you could use it.
You could use this for skinning.
It would be too small to wear on your back.
A bone dagger would work well for skinning.
A bone dagger is a crude stabbing weapon.
A bone dagger has been sharpened.

Then, give thieves and merchants a forgery skill that would let them mimic those effects and make a weapon appear better than it normally would be, or the ability to add GMH marks of craftsmanship.  Also, give them a skill, Replica, that would let them take precious items and duplicate them:

>craft robe linen linen linen
You can make a pair of hooded, blue templar's robes from that.

Make a variant of the Value skill, Keen Eye, that lets merchants and some other classes spot fakes and forgeries.

And so on.

August 21, 2010, 04:26:00 PM #842 Last Edit: August 21, 2010, 04:27:43 PM by Gunnerblaster
Quote from: Gunnerblaster on August 20, 2010, 09:29:25 PM
A guide NPC in each town would be nice. Stationary and usually standing around infront of spawn areas (Infront of a starting tavern, etc.).

>The spry, curly-haired guide stands here, besides the entrance to the tavern.

>Look Guide

>He has blonde hair and blue eyes. He is a pretty
short guy. He is lean of frame and darkly tanned.
<Type 'help guide' for Syntax to interact with guide>
The Spry, curly-haired guide is in excellent condition.
<worn on torso>      A tan, 'I <3 Allanak' sandcloth shirt
<worn on legs>        A pair of tan, sandcloth leggings
<worn on feet>        A pair of chalton-hide sandals

>help guide

>Guides guide you around, bla bla bla - Syntax are,
'talk guide help' ---> List of things to talk about.
'talk guide <topic>' ---> Gives directions & brief summary/history of topic. Can include taverns, armor shops, weapon shops, food shops and water vendors.

I'd like to see majority of tavernkeepers, armor vendors/weapons vendors have some sort of 'talk hi' response - Be it explaining a little bit about their establishment or just something generic that won't 'expire' (Like a certain someone who talks about a certain event that happen WAY TOO LONG ago).
Kind've throwing this out here, since this is basically a Want.

I'd like to see a guide or something similiar just for the PC on NPC interaction. I'm pretty sure, even having played for as long as I have, I would still interact with the guide.

Player on Player interaction is always awesome but, sometimes, when you're alone - It's nice to have something to make the world feel "fresh" and "alive" around you, even if the playerbase isn't.

Edited to add:
I also think it would be a good way to breathe a bit of "active" culture into certain geographical areas - Make the guides be completely zealous towards their own city-state/outpost. Give newbies the mindset of how most of their kind views the other.
Quote from: LauraMars
Quote from: brytta.leofaLaura, did weird tribal men follow you around at age 15?
If by weird tribal men you mean Christians then yes.

Quote from: Malifaxis
She was teabagging me.

My own mother.

How about a teach room ability for say newbie guilds - instead of teaching each person one at a time, it could take awhile if there are eight or nine in the same room, it would be a time saver.

just 1 simple command "teach all skill".

Two dwarves get into a small fist-fray over who owns a pile of dung at the roadside.

You think:
     "Get your shit together"

I want a stripper in 'Nak, all animated and fancy like the one that used to be in the Sanctuary back in the day.  Or heck, any old NPC performers!  They were fun to interact with (and throw coins at).  Bards are cool, but non-bardic acts are entertaining to watch as well.

Also, I'd love to see item prices adjusted across the board.  Some things are much more expensive than what they should realistically be worth, while others are cheap for no apparent reason.  In short, prices just seem so random across the board that some sort of standard formula (not done by the game, just a general rule of thumb for builds) might be beneficial.  Just something simple that takes into account NPC/VNPC supply, demand, and cost of production.
Quote from: ZoltanWhen in doubt, play dangerous, awkward or intense situations to the hilt, every time.

The Official GDB Hate Cycle

Quote from: Aaron Goulet on August 22, 2010, 03:34:35 AM
I want a stripper in 'Nak, all animated and fancy like the one that used to be in the Sanctuary back in the day.  Or heck, any old NPC performers!  They were fun to interact with (and throw coins at).  Bards are cool, but non-bardic acts are entertaining to watch as well.

How 'bout a PC stripper? ;D

Quote from: Qzzrbl on August 22, 2010, 03:59:53 AM
Quote from: Aaron Goulet on August 22, 2010, 03:34:35 AM
I want a stripper in 'Nak, all animated and fancy like the one that used to be in the Sanctuary back in the day.  Or heck, any old NPC performers!  They were fun to interact with (and throw coins at).  Bards are cool, but non-bardic acts are entertaining to watch as well.

How 'bout a PC stripper? ;D

I'm totally down for that too.
Quote from: ZoltanWhen in doubt, play dangerous, awkward or intense situations to the hilt, every time.

This is supposed to be about coded stuff... but also, PC stripper has been done.
Quote from: MalifaxisWe need to listen to spawnloser.
Quote from: Reiterationspawnloser knows all

Quote from: SpoonA magicker is kind of like a mousetrap, the fear is the cheese. But this cheese has an AK47.

Quote from: spawnloser on August 22, 2010, 04:39:26 AM
This is supposed to be about coded stuff... but also, PC stripper has been done.

I've never done a PC stripper.  Maybe I should.  :D

I would like to be able to assess stun along with stamina and hip points.  In others.
The funny little foreign man

I often hear the jingle to -Riunite on ice- when I read the estate name Reynolte, eve though there ain't no ice in Zalanthas.