Wow is this what you mean by it clicking?

Started by Bob, June 05, 2003, 02:38:22 PM

I was out hunting with a fellow noob and he was asking me all these questions about hunting and roleplay and suprisingly I knew it!,And I was explaining to him how you roleplay your charecter and heck I didnt know where it was all comeing from,So now I truly dont feel like a newbie anymore (but I probaly still am),Heh I MAY (Perhaps a tiny chance) not be a newbie anymore but I still cant get my grammar right :? .

Survive long enough to get that mythic "20 day Warrior" everyone keeps talking about and an actual Name on the GDB, and youll be there, lad.
You'll never find a more wretched hive of scum and villany.  Except for maybe Allanak."

-Anonymous

Ten months ago, I began playing.  I remember showing my first newbie the ropes, taking him out hunting and explaining all my techniques.  It was quite fun until...

I ended up getting that newbie killed.  I'm not sure if he didn't know better to flee or what.  I told him we could take on a certain creature which of course attacked him first.  I could see he was getting hit hard and my rescue wasn't up to snuff.  I tried to tell him to flee but in the excitement I'm not sure I did.  Well, he went down and I was smart enough to flee.  Thing is he was not killed right away but knocked out.  So I tried to draw the creature away and then return to help the poor guy.  This burned up a lot of my endurance because of course I didn't have a mount and I'm running all about, excited.  Heck I had only played a week or so myself.  Anyhow I was too tired to run anymore and the creature bashed my brains in.  I learned several valuable lessons that day.

Hey...that scenerio sounds familiar...but I was the newb getting my ass beat while someone else led it away.
Quote from: MalifaxisWe need to listen to spawnloser.
Quote from: Reiterationspawnloser knows all

Quote from: SpoonA magicker is kind of like a mousetrap, the fear is the cheese. But this cheese has an AK47.

Wait a sec... I've never had a 20 day warrior...

-Shinigami, Apparent Newbie of Tektolnes
Quote from: DeliriumA hunched shinigami prowls around here, gnashing its teeth.

Quote from: "Bob"I was out hunting with a fellow noob and he was asking me all these questions about hunting and roleplay and suprisingly I knew it!,And I was explaining to him how you roleplay your charecter and heck I didnt know where it was all comeing from,So now I truly dont feel like a newbie anymore (but I probaly still am),Heh I MAY (Perhaps a tiny chance) not be a newbie anymore but I still cant get my grammar right :? .

I was gonna reply saying that I don't think that newbies should show the ropes to other newbies, but then I realized that a) that's snobby and I shouldn't discourage anything that helps a newbie ...and b) that saying that would seem to suggest that I'm -not- a newbie, which I have thought on occasion, but now believe to be untrue.

I am still a bitch, though  :twisted: ....so I have to nitpick: were you having an entire long conversation's worth of ooc's?  If a newbie needed that much help I'd ask them to AIM/email me, or direct them to a helper, so that the IC environment doesn't get interrupted by so much ooc.
Quote from: tapas on December 04, 2017, 01:47:50 AM
I think we might need to change World Discussion to Armchair Zalanthan Anthropology.

I don't know... I had a fifty day worrior and was feeling fairly confident in the game (even using the coded his/her; him/her; he/she  :wink: ) and then BAMB I have to make a new character.  Starting over (if its a new place, race, guild, anything) is SO different.  I mean sure... I knew more commands but...it brings one back to newbie status real quick.

For me it didn't really -click- until after I greved for my character (FIFTY days, I can greve for him!!) and I still had that drive to get back in the game.  The drive that reguardless of who or what I play... I still crave the game.   That's what I now understand is the true hunger for playing the game.