view / assess and lumberjacking

Started by spawnloser, June 05, 2003, 02:42:47 AM

When you view an item in a shop or assess one, will it tell you whether or not it can be used for lumberjacking?  I've run into a problem finding an axe that my current character can use for this due to strength issues which, needless to say, has become kinda frustrating.
Quote from: MalifaxisWe need to listen to spawnloser.
Quote from: Reiterationspawnloser knows all

Quote from: SpoonA magicker is kind of like a mousetrap, the fear is the cheese. But this cheese has an AK47.

The information about an axe and whether or not you can lumberjack with it is usually stated explicitly, you'll know when you see it, there won't be any doubt, just by what you see.  There are a few types, and if you're uncertain about it, then it isn't a lumberjacking axe.

Quote from: "gfair"The information about an axe and whether or not you can lumberjack with it is usually stated explicitly, you'll know when you see it, there won't be any doubt, just by what you see.  There are a few types, and if you're uncertain about it, then it isn't a lumberjacking axe.
Well, that kinda sucks...I guess I'll never get to chop down a tree with this character.  I've seen a few types of lumberjack axe and none of them were usable by my little wussy character...not being strong enough and all.

Quote from: SpoonA magicker is kind of like a mousetrap, the fear is the cheese. But this cheese has an AK47.

I'm a little confused by your question, what exactly are you trying to do?  Are you trying to chop down trees, or trying to craft logs into other items?  Obviously most lumberjacking types will try to do both, but they are different.

If you are trying to chop down trees you will need a lumber axe, but you don't need the lumberjacking skill.  Lumber axes are usually clearly marked and are two-handed weapons.  Any one-handed axe you find isn't a lumber axe, at least as far as I've been able to tell.  You can buy and try a lumber axe, sometimes I've found items that I could use despite the shop telling me it would be too heavy for me to use, I assume using a too-heavy axe would hurt a lot in combat but it might not effect using it as a tool.

The other part of lumberjacking, the part affected by the lumberjacking skill, is turning logs into wooden planks and such.  You do not need a lumber axe for this.  It makes sense to be using some tool; an axe, hatchet, saw, etc., but in a pinch using virtual tools will do.  Getting the raw logs to craft may be tricky if you can't cut them down yourself, but a little creativity or 'sids can clear the way for you.  I've even seen logs left laying around the streets after the shops fill up, presumably left by people who could chop down logs but didn't have the lumberjacking skill and so couldn't use them for anything.

So solving your problem requires figguring out exactly what your problem is: What do you want to do, and why do you want to do it?  

If you are of the merchant guild it may be that you want to learn about wood, or in other words practice the lumberjacking skill specifically to get it to branch whatever branches off lumberjacking, at which point you never want to see another log.  (Some folks will condem this as thinking more about the code than about your role, but merchants don't start with many skills, so I think it is understandable to want to branch to more profitable skills.)  If you can't find a way to cut down your own trees you will need to find someone else to cut them for you.  Merchants start with plenty of money, so hiring someone to go with you or spreading the word that you will pay for logs is plausible.  Or you can get a friend, some crafters can make things from poles and planks but do not possess the lumberjacking skill, so they can't turn logs into the planks and poles they need.  Work together: they chop down the trees, you process the logs into lumber, they process the lumber into goods, then you split the profits.  Everybody is happy.

If instead of being a merchant you are of the Forester subclass, your situation is a little different.  You can, like a merchant, work out a deal for someone else to chop down logs for you but you don't have to.  Logs are helpful, but you don't _need_ them, at least not when you are first starting out.  Subguild skills don't branch, so you don't need to "train" lumberjacking just to get past it, so the only reason to use the skill is if the skill is actually useful to you.  You can get materials to make your fortune in woodworking just using "forage wood."  Sure, lumber provides you with more materials and therefore more products, so it is good to have if you can get it, but starting your career with branches will work too.  When you have more friends and more money you'll have an easier time finding those logs, maybe you'll even get stronger as you age and be able to cut down your own logs.

If you do not have the lumberjacking skill, but where planning on making a living cutting down logs and selling them to shops and crafters, then you are SOL.  If you can't find an axe you can use you can't chop down trees, if you are young you may get stronger when you reach adult, but by then you'll probably have a job.  If you are not strong enough to swing a lumber axe, then you are probably not strong enough to have carried a log anyway.  :P

The only other thing I can suggest is trying to special order a light lumber axe or lumber saw from one of the big merchant houses.  No one has a monopoly on tools, but you could try Kadius or Salarr.  It is possible that a slightly lighter than usual lumber axe could be created just for you, but expect it to cost much more than an off-the-rack axe.

Good luck.

AC
Treat the other man's faith gently; it is all he has to believe with."     Henry S. Haskins

Quote from: "Angela Christine"The only other thing I can suggest is trying to special order a light lumber axe or lumber saw from one of the big merchant houses.  No one has a monopoly on tools, but you could try Kadius or Salarr.  It is possible that a slightly lighter than usual lumber axe could be created just for you, but expect it to cost much more than an off-the-rack axe.
Never thought of special ordering...I think I'll have to look into that.

Anyway, yes, I was trying to cut down trees by myself, and that was just not working.

I'm not going to answer your questions, just because I don't want to give away too much IC info, but they were quite informative, along with the rest of your suggestions.