City Elves in General

Started by titansfan, March 23, 2009, 01:30:40 PM

I would like to see more in game, of any kind, anywhere.....they seem to be an endangered species these days on a PC basis.
Respect. Responsibility. Compassion.

I'd like to see more well-played elves. It's a difficult race to play accurately.

And I could continue on, but the topic always seems to come back...

There's always going to be cycles of this. Right now, there's too many of one particular race. Like how there can be too many of a particular class at a time. And so on...
"And all around is the desert; a corner of the mournful kingdom of sand."
   - Pierre Loti

I agree with you completely, but just thought I'd throw a reminder out there that the option does exist. ;)

I don't play elves because it is HARD and there is a lack of documented culture of city elves.

I wrote some questions I had about elves in Tuluk and had some answers from the players:
http://www.zalanthas.org/gdb/index.php/topic,30672.0.html
New Players Guide: http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,33512.0.html

Quote from: Morgenes on April 01, 2011, 10:33:11 PM
You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one

There is pride in knowing the streets better than anybody, being smarter than the smartest human, peeling them of their coin, and generally living off the fools who build walls and man them for your protection. And I offer a friendly invite to everybody who thinks elves are pathetic douchebags to say so in a certain underground bar. They'd have their ears clipped by a blunt blade :).

Trust is a luxury in this world, and an elven tribe (or a chosen, tested circle) is the only group where you can relax and feel completely safe, knowing they'll die for you. Or kill, steal, whatever it takes.

Elves look at humans from above, not only because of the height difference. Join us, you know you want to.

March 23, 2009, 04:50:02 PM #5 Last Edit: March 23, 2009, 05:25:28 PM by Jingo
Eh. I'm in agreement with Synth. But for slightly different reasons.

You have to mold yourself into a cliche if you want to play a city elf. There is no room for non-sneaky bastards. Which is fine, but I'd like to break the mold here.

And you have to play in the 'rinth if you want to play as part of c-elf group/tribe in 'nak. I don't do 'rinth.

And I think some players take the social stigma against elves too far.

And c-elves aren't allowed to join clans with just a few exceptions.

Can't leave the city. (wouldn't be a huge problem without the other issues)

No tribes. When clan is supposed to be the crux of the elven mindset.

Yeah. I'll play one of the coded, documented, populated desert elf tribes instead.
Now you're looking for the secret. But you won't find it because of course, you're not really looking. You don't really want to work it out. You want to be fooled.

I removed a few posts that weren't really adding anything to the topic and probably shouldn't have been posted.

I encourage everyone to be the filter between the things you want to tell people (but shouldn't) and the things you do tell people (per the forum rules).
Quote from: LauraMars on December 15, 2016, 08:17:36 PMPaint on a mustache and be a dude for a day. Stuff some melons down my shirt, cinch up a corset and pass as a girl.

With appropriate roleplay of course.

Quote from: Jingo on March 23, 2009, 04:50:02 PM
No tribes. When clan is supposed to be the crux of the elven mindset.

That's pretty much all there is to it.

I'll play an c-elf. A beefy, non-stereotyped female c-elf with big shoulders, big thighs, big tits and skinny arms. But that's going to be a year from now, because I've got better things to play first, and my characters tend to live very long. But I will, someday.

I don't think players take the stigma against elves too far. Even so, I think there's always a few who don't, or a few who feel sorry after seeing the elf get bullied by a few racists.

No tribes and not leaving the city is the big problem though.
Quote from: Rahnevyn on March 09, 2009, 03:39:45 PM
Clans can give stat bonuses and penalties, too. The Byn drop in wisdom is particularly notorious.

elves don't have beef anywhere..
your mother is an elf.

March 23, 2009, 07:16:55 PM #10 Last Edit: March 23, 2009, 08:17:11 PM by Jingo
When someone reports you to the militia for sitting next to them at the bar in the gaj. And then you lose your newbie money for it. That's when it's gone too far.

And not to mention you're not just bullying that one elf, you're bullying that elf's entire tribe. Which by all accounts, IC would be a pretty risky thing to do. You couldn't threaten a Soh or a Sunrunner and get away with it freely even IN the city. But for city elves nobody seems to take this into account. Of course his tribe his completely fucking virtual and hence there is next to no chance of recourse.

I don't get why elves would be treated substantually worse than half-elves. Half-elves have no tribe and no friends. Not to mention their mixed-blood aberrations that showcase a union that either race would consider repulsive. Yet for some inexplicable reason, they usually have more friends (wut?), more clout and are generally allowed more freedoms for social advancement than any elf.

Anyways... Don't pick on elves when you can pick on half-elves.
Now you're looking for the secret. But you won't find it because of course, you're not really looking. You don't really want to work it out. You want to be fooled.

Half-elves tend to become officers of IC, imm-supported clans. Picking on breeds means that you're messing with an entire clan. Though sometimes I wonder if something's gone wrong when almost half of the bosses I've served under were half-elves.
Clans can give stat bonuses and penalties, too. The Byn drop in wisdom is particularly notorious.

Well i'm interested!  I was actually coming to the board to find some info on c-elves for my new character. I'm around Sunday and Monday about around 3-7 EST.  (I'm actually in AZ, but I just moved so I'm sure which time zone I'm in now. I haven't had to use it until now  ???)

Hopefully playtimes are OK to post, right?
 got caught at school with my hands down my pants and had to keep it down there for  a whole week.......What a week!
~Chris, Family Guy

March 23, 2009, 08:25:31 PM #13 Last Edit: March 23, 2009, 08:27:05 PM by Jingo
Don't let my cynicism get to you all. I'm only bitching because I love playing elves so much.

If you can get past the cons and get a group together, it's a lot of fun.

Quote from: SMuz on March 23, 2009, 06:14:54 PM

No tribes

Hello one and only problem I have with playing a City Elf.

Again i agree with the no tribes situation, but I have dealt with it before. It just takes a wee bit of work and planning. I strongly encourage more people to create and use their imagination towards city elves and adding them as a more involved race on Zalanthas.

I want a supported Celf tribe available from chargen. Thinking back, that's probably my largest beef with the Arm staff over the many years I've played here. It's irritatiing, to look at all the frivolous albeit very neat stuff we've got over the years, like the poop code and a halfdozen new Xmote, and then to compare it with the neglect Celves have caught. I like all the new toys and tricks, don't get me wrong, but I would like a sustained Celf presense, in BOTH cities, far more than yet another way to emote while hiding.
We were somewhere near the Shield Wall, on the edge of the Red Desert, when the drugs began to take hold...

I know of tribes that SHOULD exist (by NAME even) that there's no support for.  I know of other tribes that have coded support, but apparently they're all closed... or at least that's what I've been told.  Both of these things irk me.  My biggest beef with city elves is that they're tall, skinny humans that don't trust anyone.  Elves are tribal creatures and they should all have the option of being tribed, provided they are in a location that should be able to support a tribe.  UnderTuluk/Tuluk and Rinth/Allanak should both EASILY be able to support a c.elf tribe... and considering there are at least 4 documented tribes for the Rinth, why isn't even one open for play?  What's with the lack of tribes in Tuluk?

This isn't my biggest beef with elves, but it's a big one.  City elves are left to flounder about on their own.
Quote from: MalifaxisWe need to listen to spawnloser.
Quote from: Reiterationspawnloser knows all

Quote from: SpoonA magicker is kind of like a mousetrap, the fear is the cheese. But this cheese has an AK47.

While the ones that should be floundering (breeds) Find it silly easy to get clanned and rise in rank.
A gaunt, yellow-skinned gith shrieks in fear, and hauls ass.
Lizzie:
If you -want- me to think that your character is a hybrid of a black kryl and a white push-broom shaped like a penis, then you've done a great job

Quote from: Nyr on January 30, 2009, 03:53:47 PM
Elf love is coming, from what I understand.

Quote from: Shalooonsh on February 25, 2009, 04:41:37 PM
Thought has been given to city elves lately.

I know we as staff haven't exactly said that we're working on creating documentation and support for a complex city-elf tribe, but you know, this sort of thing does take a bit of time to figure out...
Quote from: LauraMars on December 15, 2016, 08:17:36 PMPaint on a mustache and be a dude for a day. Stuff some melons down my shirt, cinch up a corset and pass as a girl.

With appropriate roleplay of course.

Quote from: Nyr on March 24, 2009, 02:35:06 PM

I know we as staff haven't exactly said that we're working on creating documentation and support for a complex city-elf tribe, but you know, this sort of thing does take a bit of time to figure out...
I'd be happy if it was even a simple tribe. But I like how the staff tends to get things done right the first time they do something (with a few amusing exceptions), so I'll be waiting to see how it goes :D

I believe the challange is to break those barriers, Half elves catch a lot of shit from all sides, no one likes them in the beginning.. trail by fire, but its you or the personality you wish to put forth, if you are a persicuted elf then find away to reverse their opinion of at least one elf, you. Its hard, harder for Breeds as at least elves have their tribe, or other elves. Breeds distrust other  breeds and are harsher on them as a standard... you know I hate you because you remind me of what is wrong with myself. I give Kudos to any player that takes on a role that has such adversity to work through and manages to do it with what I think becomes award winning role play... Shine on you crazy diamond.

The funny little foreign man

I often hear the jingle to -Riunite on ice- when I read the estate name Reynolte, eve though there ain't no ice in Zalanthas.

I am writing up a city elf tribe. yay.
your mother is an elf.

Quote from: Moofassa on March 25, 2009, 02:21:22 PM

want to brainstorm it together?  i'll help out.
New Players Guide: http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,33512.0.html

Quote from: Morgenes on April 01, 2011, 10:33:11 PM
You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one

Quote from: mansa on March 25, 2009, 02:33:05 PM
Quote from: Moofassa on March 25, 2009, 02:21:22 PM

want to brainstorm it together?  i'll help out.
h'ok, but i think i deleted you from MSN when i stopped playing arm.
your mother is an elf.

Just because I haven't been chiming in but I've been very vocal IRL...

I WANT BADLY to play a city elf and if I had a tribe I could hop in too with good, solid documentation I would most certainly do so.

Thanks, Staff.... I know the patience will pay off.

Brandon
Quote from: Ghost on December 16, 2009, 06:15:17 PM
brandon....

you did the biggest mistake of your life

Quote from: Nyr on March 24, 2009, 02:35:06 PM

Patience.