Bardingling

Started by Ocotillo, March 19, 2009, 12:45:01 AM

Quote from: Malken on March 28, 2009, 02:01:47 AM
Quote from: Synthesis on March 28, 2009, 01:50:46 AM
The burly, ape-like man says, out of character:
     "That kick looked sort of like this:"

You think you're kidding, but a couple of years ago I was in a clan, and the person that would train mudsex my PC used to OOC me links of cheaply made videos of some sort of karate clips sex tapes, or something, and she'd tell me that this is her in it, and I'm the other guy, and that's how we were training kanking, ICly..

I didn't even know that person ooc'ly, she'd just pop in OOCly and link me to youtube and her homemade karate clips sex tapes.

Come on now, Malken, be honest.
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: SmuzI come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: VanthSynthesis, you scare me a little bit.

Quote from: Synthesis on March 28, 2009, 03:08:54 AM
Quote from: Malken on March 28, 2009, 02:01:47 AM
Quote from: Synthesis on March 28, 2009, 01:50:46 AM
The burly, ape-like man says, out of character:
     "That kick looked sort of like this:"

You think you're kidding, but a couple of years ago I was in a clan, and the person that would train mudsex my PC used to OOC me links of cheaply made videos of some sort of karate clips sex tapes, or something, and she'd tell me that this is her in it, and I'm the other guy, and that's how we were training kanking, ICly..

I didn't even know that person ooc'ly, she'd just pop in OOCly and link me to youtube and her homemade karate clips sex tapes.

Come on now, Malken, be honest.
That made so much more sense ;)
Quote from: Rahnevyn on March 09, 2009, 03:39:45 PM
Clans can give stat bonuses and penalties, too. The Byn drop in wisdom is particularly notorious.

That's such a great question.  My gut reaction is that, while it would be interesting in that situation, the myriad of ways players could take the idea and apply it elsewhere would detract from the game.  A lecturer at one of my classes once commented that movies were the worst thing to happen to good writing because writers try to emulate a movie script and leave it at that.  My concern would be that this would have a similiar 'dumbing down' effect on Arm, if popularized.

If the first time I linked out to a song and got a room full of "OOC: omg, wtf are you playing?" and "OOC: Love that song.", a little part of me would die on the inside.   :'(
Quote from: saquartey
Rairen, what would we do without you?

Quote from: Delstro on March 28, 2009, 02:21:43 AM
When I was once a young Bynn Runner and a no Karma Noob of three weeks, I was told to watch a bunch of combat clips on youtube and that they would help me in my emoting.

That isn't a bad idea for people who aren't sure how to describe things when they're emoting.  You can find a lot of inspiration through videos, or listening to music, or books/magazines for the descriptive process.
Eastman: he came out of the east to do battle with The Amazing Rando!

Quote from: Agent_137 on March 28, 2009, 09:26:18 AM
btw, allanak needs moar bards to hate on.

HEHEHE, I've watched what people do to bards in Nak. There's a reason they don't stick around. The style of player than WANTS to play a bard, ALSO wants their music to be liked. Isn't going to happen in Nak.
The man asks you:
     "'Bout damn time, lol.  She didn't bang you up too bad, did she?"
The man says, ooc:
     "OG did i jsut do that?"

Quote from: Shalooonsh
I love the players of this game.
That's not a random thought either.

My character threw the first punch in the mob killing of a bard once in 'Nak. But he wasn't a very good one. And was a bit of a jerk. I saw another bard get thrown by a HG (could've been a Tuluki bard, I was too nervous to check).

It's cool, though, a lot of characters do miss bards and sing the same songs off-key. Just don't be a bad bard in front of a 'Naki templar and have a large list of good songs and one to placate a templar in case you ever need to ;)
Quote from: Rahnevyn on March 09, 2009, 03:39:45 PM
Clans can give stat bonuses and penalties, too. The Byn drop in wisdom is particularly notorious.

Quote from: tortall on March 28, 2009, 01:48:43 PM
Quote from: Agent_137 on March 28, 2009, 09:26:18 AM
btw, allanak needs moar bards to hate on.

HEHEHE, I've watched what people do to bards in Nak. There's a reason they don't stick around. The style of player than WANTS to play a bard, ALSO wants their music to be liked. Isn't going to happen in Nak.

There are plenty of bards in Allanak, and there certainly have been PC bards there in the past.  House Fale loves bards and all sorts of other entertainers, and they hire them all the time.  One has to keep in mind that if one wants to play a bard in Allanak, that musical and entertainment styles are vastly different than they are in Tuluk.  In Tuluk they want to be as artistic and aesthetically pleasing as possible.  They love to play with the words, hide meanings, use symbolism, be poetic and fancy and flowery.  In Allanak, it's simpler, blunt and a lot more in-your-face.  They're more about getting the point across rather than giving people something to think about and analyze.
Eastman: he came out of the east to do battle with The Amazing Rando!

It takes a -lot- of effort to play a successful bard due to the nature of the role. It's not only IG effort that needs to be put in, but there's also a whole lot of OOC effort that goes into it, at least for the musical bards.

For a bard in Allanak as well, unless you are a very talented individual, other races will generally be biased against from the start. So a human bard that does so-so would still be picked over a half-elf of similar skill most any day. Might still happen in Tuluk, but it's based more on skill rather than appearance.

That, and if you want to be successful, as with any role, don't try picking fights and quarrels with the wrong people, or with too many people. You want to be as liked by as many people as you can in public, while in private anything can go. A good bard's reputation is pretty powerful, after all, even in Allanak.
"And all around is the desert; a corner of the mournful kingdom of sand."
   - Pierre Loti

Allanaki Lullaby
Dirty Nakki Song
Soldier's Song

I've heard more songs ICly in 'Nak that aren't in Original Submissions, that were very nice. I've heard soldiers sing, Byn sing, Rinthi sing, and, of course, Fale Whatsits sing. Not all of the songs have been public, and typically 'Nakki prefer to see a good Arena fight, but there's the potential there. I just strongly suggest not barding as a main job and going solo in 'Nak, it would be very challanging. I also think that 'Nak really preffers well-told, interesting stories that include battles and the like. It would be doable, but much more challanging then in Tuluk.
As of February 2017, I no longer play Armageddon.

I could pull off a 'nakki bard. Not to brag or anything, but seriously, if I didn't hate the "nothing ever happens" situation whenever I play a bard, I'd do it. I liked making original songs and having people react to it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ywUn4_hss88