Bardingling

Started by Ocotillo, March 19, 2009, 12:45:01 AM

Hi.

I'm trying to get a feel for playing a bard and very specifically being a tuluki bard, and some of the work and culture associated with it. Without going into exhaustive and largely pointless detail, I was hoping some others could point me at logs, specific songs, and documentation to help me get into the mindset.

I'm starting with the memoirs Rairen put up, and I need somewhere to go afterwards.
Quote from: Barzalene
Besides if a Jihaen walks in on you, he walked in on you. He can't be too upset if he sees your peepee. He might have a legitimate gripe though if the manner in which you use it isn't subtle.

A Bardish Prankster Takes on Kurac

<3 bards.  I spent hours and hours and hours IRL for my one Tuluki bard, writing and rewriting songs.
Quote from: manonfire on November 04, 2013, 08:11:36 AM
The secret to great RP is having the balls to be weird and the brains to make it eloquent.

This advice may seem a little strange, but I would recommend that you avoid being too intrusive.

People play bards, which is great. Sometimes someone's really enthusiastic about their bard, which is cool. But sometimes you get a guy who just really wants to be the best goddamn bard in the city, and whenever more than two PCs gather in a public location, he'll come sprinting in with his banjo and churn out a sea of emotes and lyrics that makes it really difficult about doing anything else. I really like bards and think that they're a vital part of the northern culture, but once in a while one gets a bit too eager and becomes a nuisance. Sit on a street bench and play when someone walks past,  provide discreet background music in the tavern, offer your skills to the rich. There will be plenty of competitions and public events for you to really show off without having to Jack Black the shit out of the Sanc every IC night. People will start ignoring you if you stress them out like that.

Read books where people write about someone playing something, so you'll get the feel for what you can put in your emotes. Coming up with new songs is really hard, so to start with don't worry about that. There's tons of songs already available for you.

Also, wikipedia whatever instrument you use. The mdesc's of them arn't very good at describing what they look like. YouTube your instrument. You can see real people playing what you are.
The man asks you:
     "'Bout damn time, lol.  She didn't bang you up too bad, did she?"
The man says, ooc:
     "OG did i jsut do that?"

Quote from: Shalooonsh
I love the players of this game.
That's not a random thought either.

Don't be so worried about annoying people if you're playing a bard.  If you sit around and let that sort of worry discourage you from doing what your bard would do, you're not going to enjoy the character.

If you find that you have any questions that you don't have answers to after reviewing the docs and such, feel free to email the bards staff.
Eastman: he came out of the east to do battle with The Amazing Rando!

Quote from: Ocotillo on March 19, 2009, 12:45:01 AM
I'm starting with the memoirs Rairen put up, and I need somewhere to go afterwards.

8)

Though, actually, those are more OOC survival tips than anything.  I should do an IC version that's less sarcastic and profanity-driven.

Anyway, if you've already checked out the main documentation and the Circle clan documentation, make sure you don't skip the "music" section in the Circle documentation *cough* likeIdid *cough*.  It takes you to a link separate to the main submissions page - I don't know why, exactly, the Circle has a separate music page except to make us cooler, but it has some of my most favorite logged performances on it (Anya Konviwedu, I don't know who you were, but I can has your brainz, pls?  kthnxbai.) 

Also, on a quiet night, read back through the longer threads and older posts on the forum.  There's a wealth of information in those, including just some plot ideas.
Quote from: saquartey
Rairen, what would we do without you?

Playing a mediocre/failure of a bard is a very enjoyable experience. Recommended.
Modern concepts of fair trials and justice are simply nonexistent in Zalanthas. If you are accused, you are guilty until someone important decides you might be useful. It doesn't really matter if you did it or not.

Especially when you grow from a little annoyance into a major party/political animal.
Quote from: Cutthroat on September 30, 2008, 10:15:55 PM
> forage artifacts

You find a rusty, armed landmine and pick it up.

Here's a question:

You're a bard playing a purely instrumental piece. You have a sound file in mind that you could never hope to describe in accurate detail through text. Would it be considered bad form to OOC a link to the music, saying your bard is currently playing it?

I think it would be great for solo budding musicians.
Quote from: Niamh on September 24, 2009, 02:28:12 PM
Remember, you're never in trouble if you don't get caught!

Quote from: Wyx on June 28, 2009, 07:59:17 PM
Besides, the players know best

Would you think it would be a bad form if I only had a link to a picture in my desc?

I would only think it was bad if the ooc was used instead of IC playing. Now if you were emoting the playing out, and ooced the link to go with it, I think it would actually be a rather nice touch, because, over time, it would lead me to know what sounds the bard's player used what words for, and eventually, I wouldn't need to even use the links, while still having a great idea what the music sounds like.
Quote from: Wug
No one on staff is just waiting for the opportunity to get revenge on someone who killed one of their characters years ago.

Except me. I remember every death. And I am coming for you bastards.

Quote from: spicemustflow on March 27, 2009, 06:12:30 PM
Would you think it would be a bad form if I only had a link to a picture in my desc?
Yes.
1. It would replace the IC description.
2. It would be constantly OOC.
3. It would be so entirely different from any other description in the game, I would find it jarring.
4. I likely wouldn't follow the link, given the obvious lack of work put in on the players part to even -try- to describe the char.
No one on staff is just waiting for the opportunity to get revenge on someone who killed one of their characters years ago.

Quote from: Xagon on March 27, 2009, 05:28:01 PM
Here's a question:

You're a bard playing a purely instrumental piece. You have a sound file in mind that you could never hope to describe in accurate detail through text. Would it be considered bad form to OOC a link to the music, saying your bard is currently playing it?

In the past, I've always wanted to record my own music with the mandolin that I own, and link it to what my player emotes.

Unfortunately, I can't seem to keep a bard PC alive long enough to do so :(
"When I was a fighting man, the kettle-drums they beat;
The people scattered gold-dust before my horse's feet;
But now I am a great king, the people hound my track
With poison in my wine-cup, and daggers at my back."

Quote from: AmandaGreathouse on March 27, 2009, 06:17:35 PM
Quote from: spicemustflow on March 27, 2009, 06:12:30 PM
Yes.
3. It would be so entirely different from any other description in the game, I would find it jarring.
4. I likely wouldn't follow the link, given the obvious lack of work put in on the players part to even -try- to describe the char.

I was trying to say that I feel the same about a bard linking to a sound file.

how so if it were in complement to the roleplay and emoting?

Quote from: AmandaGreathouse on March 27, 2009, 07:05:35 PM
how so if it were in complement to the roleplay and emoting?

Thanks for answering your own question:

Quote from: AmandaGreathouse on March 27, 2009, 06:17:35 PM
Yes.
Quote from: scienceAn early study by Plaut and Kohn-Speyer (1947)[11] found that horse smegma had a carcinogenic effect on mice. Heins et al.(1958)

Quote from: Malken on March 27, 2009, 06:19:47 PM
Here's a question:

In the past, I've always wanted to record my own music with the mandolin that I own, and link it to what my player emotes.

Not trying to be a bitch. I think it would be cool on the submissions page, very cool --- but this game is a written narrative and I suspect most would find the flipflop in formats detract from, more than add to, their immersion.
Quote from: scienceAn early study by Plaut and Kohn-Speyer (1947)[11] found that horse smegma had a carcinogenic effect on mice. Heins et al.(1958)

Quote from: Ampere on March 27, 2009, 07:41:40 PM
Quote from: Malken on March 27, 2009, 06:19:47 PM
Here's a question:

Not trying to be a bitch. I think it would be cool on the submissions page, very cool --- but this game is a written narrative and I suspect most would find the flipflop in formats detract from, more than add to, their immersion.

Gotta agree here. I know several of the songs on the submissions page are modified from real songs. Likely more than I know about. I'd suggest to anyone submitting a song that if it's based off a real song to link it. There's mini's of nearly every song out there, or even youtube it.
The man asks you:
The man says, ooc:
     "OG did i jsut do that?"

Quote from: Ampere on March 27, 2009, 07:41:40 PM

I'd agree with that. However, remember not to send copyrighted stuff that isn't your own to the Armageddon Submissions page. I think, however, if you link or mention the title of a RL song it's modeled after in your submission, or suggest where to go to a soundfile if the reader wants further reference, that would be awesome (for those of us unable to play instramentally out the songs, and this option wouldn't work for sheer music songs.) I'd also say that you should really always say in a submission if a song is based of a RL one, because that's just a common courtesy.

But, please, no OOC links. The only time I'd think a link in any situation should be given in the game, even OOCly, is links to Arm Topics or Docs for new players you're helping out, and if at ALL possible, in a private, secluded area.
As of February 2017, I no longer play Armageddon.

March 27, 2009, 10:15:34 PM #20 Last Edit: March 27, 2009, 10:19:12 PM by SMuz
Hmm.. I wouldn't like OOC links. Heh, pretending to be a music person in a text-based game is weird, impossible to emote, but no links, please. I've heard music students describe a tune well; if you really like, you could look more into music theory & music appreciation, just don't use jargon :P

I do love bards IRL, but the fact that music is almost impossible to describe by words is what makes it a great challenge. If you could do it, I'd have a huge amount of respect for you, and even toss you a kudos (heh).
Quote from: Rahnevyn on March 09, 2009, 03:39:45 PM
Clans can give stat bonuses and penalties, too. The Byn drop in wisdom is particularly notorious.

I would really rather not see OOC links used as a substitute for IC actions.

The burly, ape-like man says, out of character:
     "That kick looked sort of like this:"

Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: SmuzI come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: VanthSynthesis, you scare me a little bit.

Quote from: Synthesis on March 28, 2009, 01:50:46 AM

You think you're kidding, but a couple of years ago I was in a clan, and the person that would train my PC used to OOC me links of cheaply made videos of some sort of karate clips, or something, and she'd tell me that this is her in it, and I'm the other guy, and that's how we were training, ICly..

I didn't even know that person ooc'ly, she'd just pop in OOCly and link me to youtube and her homemade karate clips.
"When I was a fighting man, the kettle-drums they beat;
The people scattered gold-dust before my horse's feet;
But now I am a great king, the people hound my track
With poison in my wine-cup, and daggers at my back."

Hah Hah.

When I was once a young Bynn Runner and a no Karma Noob of three weeks, I was told to watch a bunch of combat clips on youtube and that they would help me in my emoting.
Quote from: Cutthroat on September 30, 2008, 10:15:55 PM
> forage artifacts

You find a rusty, armed landmine and pick it up.

Quote from: Malken on March 28, 2009, 02:01:47 AM

You think you're kidding, but a couple of years ago I was in a clan, and the person that would train mudsex my PC used to OOC me links of cheaply made videos of some sort of karate clips sex tapes, or something, and she'd tell me that this is her in it, and I'm the other guy, and that's how we were training kanking, ICly..

I didn't even know that person ooc'ly, she'd just pop in OOCly and link me to youtube and her homemade karate clips sex tapes.

Come on now, Malken, be honest.
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: SmuzI come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: VanthSynthesis, you scare me a little bit.

Quote from: Synthesis on March 28, 2009, 03:08:54 AM
Quote from: Malken on March 28, 2009, 02:01:47 AM

You think you're kidding, but a couple of years ago I was in a clan, and the person that would train mudsex my PC used to OOC me links of cheaply made videos of some sort of karate clips sex tapes, or something, and she'd tell me that this is her in it, and I'm the other guy, and that's how we were training kanking, ICly..

I didn't even know that person ooc'ly, she'd just pop in OOCly and link me to youtube and her homemade karate clips sex tapes.

Come on now, Malken, be honest.
That made so much more sense ;)
Clans can give stat bonuses and penalties, too. The Byn drop in wisdom is particularly notorious.

That's such a great question.  My gut reaction is that, while it would be interesting in that situation, the myriad of ways players could take the idea and apply it elsewhere would detract from the game.  A lecturer at one of my classes once commented that movies were the worst thing to happen to good writing because writers try to emulate a movie script and leave it at that.  My concern would be that this would have a similiar 'dumbing down' effect on Arm, if popularized.

If the first time I linked out to a song and got a room full of "OOC: omg, wtf are you playing?" and "OOC: Love that song.", a little part of me would die on the inside.   :'(
Quote from: saquartey
Rairen, what would we do without you?

Quote from: Delstro on March 28, 2009, 02:21:43 AM
When I was once a young Bynn Runner and a no Karma Noob of three weeks, I was told to watch a bunch of combat clips on youtube and that they would help me in my emoting.

That isn't a bad idea for people who aren't sure how to describe things when they're emoting.  You can find a lot of inspiration through videos, or listening to music, or books/magazines for the descriptive process.

Quote from: Agent_137 on March 28, 2009, 09:26:18 AM
btw, allanak needs moar bards to hate on.

HEHEHE, I've watched what people do to bards in Nak. There's a reason they don't stick around. The style of player than WANTS to play a bard, ALSO wants their music to be liked. Isn't going to happen in Nak.
The man asks you:
The man says, ooc:
     "OG did i jsut do that?"

My character threw the first punch in the mob killing of a bard once in 'Nak. But he wasn't a very good one. And was a bit of a jerk. I saw another bard get thrown by a HG (could've been a Tuluki bard, I was too nervous to check).

It's cool, though, a lot of characters do miss bards and sing the same songs off-key. Just don't be a bad bard in front of a 'Naki templar and have a large list of good songs and one to placate a templar in case you ever need to ;)

Quote from: tortall on March 28, 2009, 01:48:43 PM
Quote from: Agent_137 on March 28, 2009, 09:26:18 AM
btw, allanak needs moar bards to hate on.

HEHEHE, I've watched what people do to bards in Nak. There's a reason they don't stick around. The style of player than WANTS to play a bard, ALSO wants their music to be liked. Isn't going to happen in Nak.

There are plenty of bards in Allanak, and there certainly have been PC bards there in the past.  House Fale loves bards and all sorts of other entertainers, and they hire them all the time.  One has to keep in mind that if one wants to play a bard in Allanak, that musical and entertainment styles are vastly different than they are in Tuluk.  In Tuluk they want to be as artistic and aesthetically pleasing as possible.  They love to play with the words, hide meanings, use symbolism, be poetic and fancy and flowery.  In Allanak, it's simpler, blunt and a lot more in-your-face.  They're more about getting the point across rather than giving people something to think about and analyze.

It takes a -lot- of effort to play a successful bard due to the nature of the role. It's not only IG effort that needs to be put in, but there's also a whole lot of OOC effort that goes into it, at least for the musical bards.

For a bard in Allanak as well, unless you are a very talented individual, other races will generally be biased against from the start. So a human bard that does so-so would still be picked over a half-elf of similar skill most any day. Might still happen in Tuluk, but it's based more on skill rather than appearance.

That, and if you want to be successful, as with any role, don't try picking fights and quarrels with the wrong people, or with too many people. You want to be as liked by as many people as you can in public, while in private anything can go. A good bard's reputation is pretty powerful, after all, even in Allanak.
"And all around is the desert; a corner of the mournful kingdom of sand."
   - Pierre Loti

Allanaki Lullaby
Dirty Nakki Song
Soldier's Song

I've heard more songs ICly in 'Nak that aren't in Original Submissions, that were very nice. I've heard soldiers sing, Byn sing, Rinthi sing, and, of course, Fale Whatsits sing. Not all of the songs have been public, and typically 'Nakki prefer to see a good Arena fight, but there's the potential there. I just strongly suggest not barding as a main job and going solo in 'Nak, it would be very challanging. I also think that 'Nak really preffers well-told, interesting stories that include battles and the like. It would be doable, but much more challanging then in Tuluk.
As of February 2017, I no longer play Armageddon.

I could pull off a 'nakki bard. Not to brag or anything, but seriously, if I didn't hate the "nothing ever happens" situation whenever I play a bard, I'd do it. I liked making original songs and having people react to it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ywUn4_hss88