Animals that track

Started by Good Gortok, March 16, 2009, 08:20:09 PM

I think animals that track need to suffer the same laws of physics as player characters. Many, if not all, behave in a highly questionable way:

> They don't actually follow your steps but rather seek you out in a straight line. If there's an aggressive tracked in the room and you run five north, five east and five south, the animal will just go five east to get you. The animal should have to go the same route as the victim in order to follow them.

> The animal seems to track you as far as it takes to reach you, even if this is 80 rooms across multiple types of terrain. I'm not sure if they stop at coded zone borders, but some areas are extremely large anyway and lead to unrealistically long pursuits.

> Sometimes the animal is unaffected by movement delay and attacks immediately upon entering your room. They'll also sometimes move through two rooms in an instant, walking from "far away" and into your room without delay.

Is this a known bug or is it somehow intended to work this way?

Known issue.

Too lazy to search for old threads.
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: SmuzI come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: VanthSynthesis, you scare me a little bit.

March 16, 2009, 10:01:43 PM #3 Last Edit: March 16, 2009, 10:03:46 PM by Thunkkin
edit: linked a thread, then realized it wasn't the one I wanted.

Anyway ... X-D has done a ton of research on this and posted it. 

So yes, it's been discussed.

And yes, I think it still requires attention - but it may just not be fixed for Arm 1, I have a feeling.
Quote from: Synthesis
Quote from: lordcooper
You go south and one of the other directions that isn't north.  That is seriously the limit of my geographical knowledge of Arm.
Sarge?

Quote from: Thunkkin on March 16, 2009, 10:01:43 PM
But it may just not be fixed for Arm 1, I have a feeling.

Let's hope for the past. Staff have been on a -roll- lately.

This also bothers me a lot, and I hope it's fixed before Arm 2.

I agree with the OP.  This has been a problem for me with every hunter type character I've created and I would love to see it fixed or at least considered in arm 2.

You'd think sooner or later they'd get smart and stop before they got anywhere close to the gates where countless kin have been slain.
Live like God.
Love like God.

"Don't let life be your burden."
- Some guy, Twin Warriors

Quote from: LauraMars
Quote from: brytta.leofaLaura, did weird tribal men follow you around at age 15?
If by weird tribal men you mean Christians then yes.

Quote from: Malifaxis
She was teabagging me.

My own mother.

"The fear of death is the most unjustified of all fears, for there's no risk of accident for someone who's dead."
-Albert Einstein

Haha, I fled w,w,s,n,e,e once (to go back and get my mount). Was fleeing from a gortok. I saw that gortok searching the ground for tracks when I was heading north. I don't recall the gortok going south after it tracked me as going south (even though I was in the same room), because I was too busy panicking :P
Quote from: Rahnevyn on March 09, 2009, 03:39:45 PM
Clans can give stat bonuses and penalties, too. The Byn drop in wisdom is particularly notorious.

I'm sorry to do this, but... :D

Quote from: http://www.armageddon.org/cgi-bin/help_index/help_indexPsionics     (Communication)

All intelligent creatures on Zalanthas are able to use psionics (often called the Way or the Way of the Mind) to some degree. Psionic powers enable people to communicate across vast distances, track people and animals, and barricade their minds against intrusion. Non-psionic races are long since deceased on Zalanthas, not having been able to compete with those who possessed the ability.

Which is to say: yes, It's Magick.™
The sword is sharp, the spear is long,
The arrow swift, the Gate is strong.
The heart is bold that looks on gold;
The dwarves no more shall suffer wrong.

Quote from: brytta.leofa on March 18, 2009, 11:04:32 AM

Quote from: http://www.armageddon.org/cgi-bin/help_index/help_indexPsionics     (Communication)

All intelligent creatures on Zalanthas are able to use psionics (often called the Way or the Way of the Mind) to some degree. Psionic powers enable people to communicate across vast distances, track people and animals, and barricade their minds against intrusion. Non-psionic races are long since deceased on Zalanthas, not having been able to compete with those who possessed the ability.

Bullshit.  Tembo are not psionicists... nor are raptors... or halflings.  They have the 'hunt' skill and must use it.
Quote from: MalifaxisWe need to listen to spawnloser.
Quote from: Reiterationspawnloser knows all

Quote from: SpoonA magicker is kind of like a mousetrap, the fear is the cheese. But this cheese has an AK47.

Quote from: spawnloser on March 18, 2009, 11:23:37 AM
Quote from: brytta.leofa on March 18, 2009, 11:04:32 AM

Bullshit.  Tembo are not psionicists... nor are raptors... or halflings.  They have the 'hunt' skill and must use it.
I'm sure some actually are psionicists, but regardless, we all know that's not what's being discussed.

Brytta recieves a highfive for the troll, and Spawnloser is the focus of my laughter for taking the bait.
Quote from: scienceAn early study by Plaut and Kohn-Speyer (1947)[11] found that horse smegma had a carcinogenic effect on mice. Heins et al.(1958)

Quotetrack people and animals

You'd have to know the last time this particular help file was updated to know if it was currently relevant, due to a retcon around psionics at one point.  At least, I as far as I know it was a retcon, rather than an organic change with causes played out IG.

As this was awhile ago, newer players would most likely not know.
Evolution ends when stupidity is no longer fatal."

Give me a break, psionics. Plenty of other humanoid NPCs track, and they track the same way. Even hostile NPC elves track, and they by definition cannot be psis.  And needless to say, they track in the same way Raptors do.  Though they 'do' (atleast those I'm aware of) have area limits, which they do not exit.

What we have here with track, is a flaw of mechanics. Perhaps it is a compromise of things, and I can dig that. But to explain this somehow ICly, I would personally find more disrupting and "jarring".
Peering into the darkness, your voice uncertain, you say, in sirihish:
     "You be wary, you lot. It ain' I who's locked 'p here with yeh. it's the whol
e bunch of youse that's locked down here with meh."

Quote from: Ampere on March 18, 2009, 10:14:48 PM
I'm sure some actually are psionicists, but regardless, we all know that's not what's being discussed.
[/quote]
Actually, none of them are psionicists.  I can declare this as fact without any fear of being wrong.  I'd cite something that is in the documentation, but that would be too much of a hint for people.  Find it yourselves.

The FACT of the matter is that NPCs should be governed by the same rules that PCs are governed by.  There should be skill-checks involved.  I know of a time when a staffer animated an NPC that had the track skill and actually had the NPC USE the skill to track someone down.  That was indeed the super-awesome.  Non-animated NPCs should follow the same rules too.
Quote from: MalifaxisWe need to listen to spawnloser.
Quote from: Reiterationspawnloser knows all

Quote from: SpoonA magicker is kind of like a mousetrap, the fear is the cheese. But this cheese has an AK47.