Breed is a good SDESC word

Started by jmordetsky, March 08, 2009, 12:58:26 AM

I've seen breed being used a bit too. Geez guys, it's just a word. There's no difference between "the short, wiry breed" and "the short, wiry half-elf"
Quote from: Rahnevyn on March 09, 2009, 03:39:45 PM
Clans can give stat bonuses and penalties, too. The Byn drop in wisdom is particularly notorious.

Quote from: Marauder Moe on March 08, 2009, 12:56:45 PM
"Breed" is slang, short for half-breed.  Sdescs are not the place for IC colloquialisms.

My vote goes for objectivity.

I knew a man with agafari hair once.  It wasn't grey, no.  It was agafari.  We use plenty of IC terms in sdescs, slang or no.  I don't think there should be a ban on the word 'breed.'

Would seeing 'the skeletal, saw-toothed breed' really be all that jarring?
she said slow down this train
slow down the iron that runs in my veins

There is a difference between agafari and breed.

Agafari is the official, proper name of a (fictional)  plant.  It's not slang for anything or short for anything.

Breed is not an official or proper name of a race.  It's "half-elf".  In addition, as an English word, use of "breed" when referring to a single individual isn't grammatically correct.

Quote from: Ashes on March 08, 2009, 05:37:17 PM
Would seeing 'the skeletal, saw-toothed breed' really be all that jarring?

Not if it attacked me, and emoted eating my brains after knocking me unconscious.

I believe half-breed is allowed for sdescs, just not breed for the reasons Marauder Moe cited.
Quote from: J S BachIf it ain't baroque, don't fix it.

The man-of-mixed-racial-descent is here.

Exactly 31 characters. I win.
"When I was a fighting man, the kettle-drums they beat;
The people scattered gold-dust before my horse's feet;
But now I am a great king, the people hound my track
With poison in my wine-cup, and daggers at my back."

I guess I could see how it's like having the 'lanky, obsidian-eyed necker' or the 'tall, muscular kank-fucker' or something. Personally breed isn't too jarring for me, like stump for a dwarf isn't. And hey, there are a lot of words for humans and only a handful for half-elf, so I'd say give them a little slack every now and then.

half-elf = 8 characters
half-breed = 10 characters
breed = 5 characters

This is the main reason I think 'breed' should be allowed. Also, I think it's more aesthetically pleasing in sdescs than the other options.
Quote from: H. L.  MenckenEvery normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats.

Quote from: deviant storm on March 08, 2009, 01:13:58 PM
I'd like some consistency too. I've seen people with 'breed' in their sdesc. Just a few. That just leads others to try this as an option when they're apping a character and leads to some bruised feelings when some other imm rejects their app.

Either allow it, totally, or disallow it, totally. That's my opinion, anyway.

This. I've also seen "teenage girl" and "teenage boy" crop up from time to time, but had apps rejected when trying to use it, myself.

If the reason "girl" and "boy" are rejected is because they'd lead to a character being treated like a "child" and thus given an unfair advantage, why are the words still verboten if they have a modifier that clearly states the character isn't a kid?

Anyway, yeah, breed. Awesome. I support you, jmord.
And I vanish into the dark
And rise above my station

Quote from: Fathi on March 08, 2009, 08:00:13 PM
I support you, jmord.

YOU HAVE MY SWORD.
Quote from: H. L.  MenckenEvery normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats.

since when is breed slang? I thought that was the official name. slang is more like shiteating-halfear. Though that's still rather accurate.

Quote from: Agent_137 on March 09, 2009, 03:07:48 AM
since when is breed slang? I thought that was the official name. slang is more like shiteating-halfear. Though that's still rather accurate.
Since when?  Since it was put in the English dictionary in this form:
Quotebreed     [breed]  Show IPA verb, bred, breed⋅ing, noun
–verb (used with object)
1.   to produce (offspring); procreate; engender.
2.   to produce by mating; propagate sexually; reproduce: Ten mice were bred in the laboratory.
3.   Horticulture.
a.   to cause to reproduce by controlled pollination.
b.   to improve by controlled pollination and selection.
4.   to raise (cattle, sheep, etc.): He breeds longhorns on the ranch.
5.   to cause or be the source of; engender; give rise to: Dirt breeds disease. Stagnant water breeds mosquitoes.
6.   to develop by training or education; bring up; rear: He was born and bred a gentleman.
7.   Energy. to produce more fissile nuclear fuel than is consumed in a reactor.
8.   to impregnate; mate: Breed a strong mare with a fast stallion and hope for a Derby winner.
–verb (used without object)
9.   to produce offspring: Many animals breed in the spring.
10.   to be engendered or produced; grow; develop: Bacteria will not breed in alcohol.
11.   to cause the birth of young, as in raising stock.
12.   to be pregnant.
–noun
13.   Genetics. a relatively homogenous group of animals within a species, developed and maintained by humans.
14.   lineage; stock; strain: She comes from a fine breed of people.
15.   sort; kind; group: Scholars are a quiet breed.
16.   Offensive. half-breed (def. 2).
Origin:
bef. 1000; ME breden, OE brēdan to nourish (c. OHG bruotan, G brüten); n. use from 16th century
Any other usage is slang.

If you want to go claiming it's an official Armageddon term then you'll have to cite some docs.

Quote from: Agent_137 on March 09, 2009, 03:07:48 AM
shiteating-halfear. Though that's still rather accurate.

^^ is meant to imply i was being tongue in cheek, insinuating how much i hate breeds, as if i was a character on zalanthas. it was also meant to express my thought that it should be OK in sdescs due to how common it is. Languages evolve, and there have been many other cases of player originated words that have made it into the official lexicon. (i just can't think of any right now. walk in his light, maybe?)

Where is this official lexicon?  The game documentation? 

Once again:
Quote from: Marauder Moe on March 09, 2009, 09:32:49 AMIf you want to go claiming it's an official Armageddon term then you'll have to cite some docs.

March 09, 2009, 05:49:55 PM #39 Last Edit: March 09, 2009, 06:33:36 PM by Agent_137
lol, lexicon is whatever is in the docs plus what we make up that staff doesn't stomp on, at least, historically that's how it's been.

for instance, is 'walk in his light' not accepted as official northern parting statement? Do staff animated NPCs not use it? However, it's NOWHERE in the docs expect this single submission.

But there are many more samples of halfbreed and breed in the submissions. 5 for halfbreed, and a three more for just breed. One is even an official help file!

The documents are rarely updated and will never keep up with the new things the players create and the Imms are happy to see flourish. I think breed falls into this category, but if they want to say "no, not yet" then I could care less. I hate the abominations anyway. ;)

Quote from: Agent_137 on March 09, 2009, 05:49:55 PM
lol, lexicon is whatever is in the docs plus what we make up that staff doesn't stomp on, at least, historically that's how it's been.
Seems to me the staff stomped on "breed".   :P

Quotefor instance, is 'walk in his light' not accepted as official northern parting statement? Do staff animated NPCs not use it? However, it's NOWHERE in the docs expect this single submission.
Staff animated NPCs don't use it in their descriptions, though.  No one is saying you can't say "breed" in game, just that you can't use it in your sdesc.

QuoteBut there are many more samples of halfbreed and breed in the submissions. 5 for halfbreed, and a three more for just breed. One is even an official help file!

The documents are rarely updated and will never keep up with the new things the players create and the Imms are happy to see flourish. I think breed falls into this category, but if they want to say "no, not yet" then I could care less. I hate the abominations anyway. ;)
Your links don't work for me, so I'm not sure what you're trying to point out.  It looks like you did a website search for the term "breed"?  If so, did it count hits for "half-breed"?  Or did it count hits in logs of IC speech?

Quote from: Marauder Moe on March 09, 2009, 06:01:37 PM
Seems to me the staff stomped on "breed".   :P

I wouldn't say that. There are characters in the game right now with 'breed' in their short description. If said characters merely slipped through the cracks and there was indeed a hardline against using 'breed', their descs would be changed for them. It's happened to me in the past, for sure.

March 09, 2009, 06:30:16 PM #42 Last Edit: March 09, 2009, 06:34:17 PM by Agent_137

Quotefor instance, is 'walk in his light' not accepted as official northern parting statement? Do staff animated NPCs not use it? However, it's NOWHERE in the docs expect this single submission.
Staff animated NPCs don't use it in their descriptions, though.  No one is saying you can't say "breed" in game, just that you can't use it in your sdesc.
I don't know their reasoning, so i don't care what they decide. I'm just pointing out that it's a common and accepted term for IG use. If they want to limit sdecs words to stuff found in help and in a dictionary for newbs, fine: exclude breed or add it to help. But if they want to limit it to common zalanthan terms that won't break immersion, then breed should be included.

QuoteBut there are many more samples of halfbreed and breed in the submissions. 5 for halfbreed, and a three more for just breed. One is even an official help file!
Your links don't work for me, so I'm not sure what you're trying to point out.  It looks like you did a website search for the term "breed"?  If so, did it count hits for "half-breed"?  Or did it count hits in logs of IC speech?

links fixt.

Quote from: Marauder Moe on March 09, 2009, 09:32:49 AM

–noun
13.   Genetics. a relatively homogenous group of animals within a species, developed and maintained by humans.
Quote from: Twilight on January 22, 2013, 08:17:47 PMGreb - To scavenge, forage, and if Whira is with you, loot the dead.
Grebber - One who grebs.

Quote from: FantasyWriter on March 10, 2009, 12:52:14 AM
Quote from: Marauder Moe on March 09, 2009, 09:32:49 AM

–noun

I was just saying... According to the dictionary you quoted [breed=half-breed] not [breed=slang for halfbreed].
Quote from: Twilight on January 22, 2013, 08:17:47 PMGreb - To scavenge, forage, and if Whira is with you, loot the dead.
Grebber - One who grebs.

I'll admit that's a little damning.  However, my understanding is that it's there as a reference to "half-breed" in case someone went to that entry instead, rather than as a synonym.  In addition, the thesaurus on the same site does not link "breed" and "half-breed".

Lastly, though I can't find an official legend for definition types like "offensive", I believe all offensive uses of a word are also essentially slang usages.

I agree that it should remain banned, by the way.
Grebber - One who grebs.

In any case, it should be either fully banned, or allowd. All it does now is cause players slike me to see one in game, and try to app one only and get rejected. Makes characters feel like they aren't as special as their peers.

It is fully banned: http://www.armageddon.org/general/words.html

If you see one, it's because a staffer messed up, not because they like that player more than they like you.