Breed is a good SDESC word

Started by jmordetsky, March 08, 2009, 12:58:26 AM

March 08, 2009, 12:58:26 AM Last Edit: March 08, 2009, 01:05:50 AM by jmordetsky
wtf - why banned?

Dorks.

EDIT: BREED FOR SDESCS in 2009!!! RAWR!

EDIT: MANSA FOR PRESIDENT! EL PRESIDENTE MANSINO! 2009! Devolver la palabra "raza"!
If you gaze for long enough into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

www.j03m.com

www.j03m.com

Quote from: Sanvean on March 28, 2008, 03:22:14 PM

Breed came too close to slang.

New Players Guide: http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,33512.0.html

Quote from: Morgenes on April 01, 2011, 10:33:11 PM
You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one

Quote from: mansa on March 08, 2009, 01:16:34 AM
Quote from: Sanvean on March 28, 2008, 03:22:14 PM

Breed came too close to slang.

WELL I DISAGREE. and you suck.

www.j03m.com

Quote from: Sanvean on March 26, 2008, 02:55:03 PM
Yes, mutant is fine, make sure it matches the main desc. Ditto albino and hunchback.

Teen is allowable because it doesn't lead to the same sort of mistaken play as child.  One of the rules of thumb I use to determine whether or not a word is jarring  is would the word be terribly jarring in a typical fantasy novel. Obviously, there are subtle shades of difference in all sorts of words, and teen may well be one of them.  I would not find it unexpected in most fantasy novels. Many teens are somewhat androgynous.

You are welcome to special app a FORBIDDEN noun and we'll take a look.

Other noun-related problems include nouns than require special code, like a winged person who wants flight coded for them -- or may swear up and down that they won't do that and yet after a couple of months they're starting to say, hey, you know, would it be possible if....? etc.  Nouns that confuse people -- "giant" is one of those, given that we have half-giants in the game.

You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one

I always liked half-breed, too.

When you have the epithet in your sdesc, it's an invitation for people to be nasty to you.  Sort of like saying, "Hey guys, I won't get butt-hurt (OOC) if you're mean to me."
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: SmuzI come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: VanthSynthesis, you scare me a little bit.

Quote from: Synthesis on March 08, 2009, 01:23:48 AM
I always liked half-breed, too.

When you have the epithet in your sdesc, it's an invitation for people to be nasty to you.  Sort of like saying, "Hey guys, I won't get butt-hurt (OOC) if you're mean to me."

I hurt mansa's butt last night.

www.j03m.com

I always liked breed too. Used it a couple of times before that.
Quote from: Fnord on November 27, 2010, 01:55:19 PM
May the fap be with you, always. ;D

Quote from: Saikun on March 22, 2004, 12:23:58 PM
I'm not sure how well this would work, as has been pointed out above. There is a piece of cartilage called the epiglottis that keeps food and drink from entering the respiratory system. When at rest (such as when a person is not conscious) the epiglottis closes off the path to the stomach, and leaves the path to the lungs open. The epiglottis covers the path to the lungs through the conscious act of swallowing. Forcing food or drink down an unconcious person's throat would lead it into the lungs, which would probably kill them faster by drowning, rather than help them.

So no, this wouldn't work for food or drink to save starving people.

That being said, there may be some wiggle room for poison antedotes, assuming it was not in the form of a potion. A tablet or paste of some kind could feasibly be absorbed through the mucus membranes between the cheek and gum without killing the person, although it would be dangerous, as they may aspirate some of the paste. The safer route is putting the paste in the person's anus, as the membranes there are very absorbant. This is actually an accepted method of reviving an unconcious diabetic who needs glucose. We're not allowed to give it orally, due to the risk, and if we don't have a person able to give it via an IV, then you flip the person over, and give it anally. That person will be up and talking to you, wondering where the hell they are, in about a minute.

Sooo... if Ness wanted to code it so you could give poison antedotes (not bananas) to Mansa anally... I'd say it was a medically realistic option.

-S

Quote from: mansa on March 08, 2009, 01:45:13 AM
Quote from: Saikun on March 22, 2004, 12:23:58 PM
I'm not sure how well this would work, as has been pointed out above. There is a piece of cartilage called the epiglottis that keeps food and drink from entering the respiratory system. When at rest (such as when a person is not conscious) the epiglottis closes off the path to the stomach, and leaves the path to the lungs open. The epiglottis covers the path to the lungs through the conscious act of swallowing. Forcing food or drink down an unconcious person's throat would lead it into the lungs, which would probably kill them faster by drowning, rather than help them.

So no, this wouldn't work for food or drink to save starving people.

That being said, there may be some wiggle room for poison antedotes, assuming it was not in the form of a potion. A tablet or paste of some kind could feasibly be absorbed through the mucus membranes between the cheek and gum without killing the person, although it would be dangerous, as they may aspirate some of the paste. The safer route is putting the paste in the person's anus, as the membranes there are very absorbant. This is actually an accepted method of reviving an unconcious diabetic who needs glucose. We're not allowed to give it orally, due to the risk, and if we don't have a person able to give it via an IV, then you flip the person over, and give it anally. That person will be up and talking to you, wondering where the hell they are, in about a minute.

Sooo... if Ness wanted to code it so you could give poison antedotes (not bananas) to Mansa anally... I'd say it was a medically realistic option.

-S

> put tablet breed's anus

That feels great! Mansa is no longer poisoned.

www.j03m.com

Wtf is a bint?
Quote from: LauraMars
Quote from: brytta.leofaLaura, did weird tribal men follow you around at age 15?
If by weird tribal men you mean Christians then yes.

Quote from: Malifaxis
She was teabagging me.

My own mother.

Quote from: Gunnerblaster on March 08, 2009, 01:54:32 AM
Wtf is a bint?

Quote from: http://www.worldwidewords.org/qa/qa-bin1.htm
"Bint is British slang for a woman or girl, but it is always disparaging and offensive and signals the user as lower class and unrefined. It's also now rather dated.

The word is Arabic for a daughter, specifically one who has yet to bear a child. It was in common use as a slang term during the first and second World Wars among British and Allied servicemen stationed in Egypt and neighbouring countries."
Quote from: manonfire on November 04, 2013, 08:11:36 AM
The secret to great RP is having the balls to be weird and the brains to make it eloquent.

Sure, but it gets confusing after you have half-elves, half-breeds, breeds, male half-elves, female breeds and half-ears. Though, you could debate that there are a variety of half-elven mixtures. Perhaps a half-elf who was quarter-elf, three-quarters human could seem more like a half-elven male and a three-quarters elf, one-quarter human who could be more fitting as a 'breed'.

Quote from: Rhyden on March 08, 2009, 06:08:14 AM
Sure, but it gets confusing after you have half-elves, half-breeds, breeds, male half-elves, female breeds and half-ears. Though, you could debate that there are a variety of half-elven mixtures. Perhaps a half-elf who was quarter-elf, three-quarters human could seem more like a half-elven male and a three-quarters elf, one-quarter human who could be more fitting as a 'breed'.

The voices in your head aren't reading the GDB, dude.
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: SmuzI come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: VanthSynthesis, you scare me a little bit.

BREED FOR SDESCS in 2009!!! RAWR!

I got your back, brother.  Let's start a riot!

I think we should either allow it entirely or disallow it entirely, because PCs with "breed" in the sdesc do slip into the game sometimes, and they're sometimes rejected. I lean towards allowing it because
Quote from: Synthesis on March 08, 2009, 01:23:48 AM

I think it should only be half-elf, or breed, allowed. Half-breed and half-ear definitely sounds more like slang than the others.

Besides, saying "I don't know, it was that breed." is less slang, and more "You know who I'm talking about."

Breed is good. Anything being defined as half-a-breed is just ridic-uh-luss
Quote from: IAmJacksOpinion on May 20, 2013, 11:16:52 PM
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.

"Breed" is slang, short for half-breed.  Sdescs are not the place for IC colloquialisms.

My vote goes for objectivity.

I'd like some consistency too. I've seen people with 'breed' in their sdesc. Just a few. That just leads others to try this as an option when they're apping a character and leads to some bruised feelings when some other imm rejects their app.

Either allow it, totally, or disallow it, totally. That's my opinion, anyway.
Quote from: brytta.leofa on August 17, 2010, 07:55:28 PM
A glossy, black-shelled mantis says, in insectoid-accented sirihish,
  "You haven't picked enough cotton, friend."
Choose thy fate:

Can't use breed.. That's comical.. but not half-as comical in the fact I've seen 'energetic' accepted. Wow. Someone should have been fired for accepting that application. Can I use rambunctious half-giant next?! What a joke.
Majikal Quote:
"I  came in a girls hair products when she was too drunk to finish blowing me... she still doesn't know. We're still friends."

Quote from: Riev on March 08, 2009, 12:44:06 PM
I think it should only be half-elf, or breed, allowed. Half-breed and half-ear definitely sounds more like slang than the others.

Besides, saying "I don't know, it was that breed." is less slang, and more "You know who I'm talking about."

Breed is good. Anything being defined as half-a-breed is just ridic-uh-luss

Half-ear is pushing it. Half-breed seems reasonable.

www.j03m.com