Desert Elves: Default to Run upon Logging In

Started by FuSoYa, March 07, 2009, 12:30:09 PM

Ok, simple idea folks and it might be a non-issue to alot of people but...

I NEVER remember to turn to run when I log in on a d-elf.  It's just something that's always irked me.  Morg, would you be willing to make it so d-elf are always on run instead of walk when they log or is this just something that would take far too much work and without many benefits.

Thoughts from the gen. pop.?

Brandon
Quote from: Ghost on December 16, 2009, 06:15:17 PMbrandon....

you did the biggest mistake of your life

Personally, I'd just use the prompt command to put my walking status into my prompt.  Then it'll stare me in the face as soon as I log on.  (I have a similar problem with remembering to change languages.)
Quote from: manonfire on November 04, 2013, 08:11:36 AM
The secret to great RP is having the balls to be weird and the brains to make it eloquent.

I am quite forgetful... my prompt is three lines long because of it.
Quote from: Twilight on January 22, 2013, 08:17:47 PMGreb - To scavenge, forage, and if Whira is with you, loot the dead.
Grebber - One who grebs.

Quote from: Ourla on March 07, 2009, 12:54:32 PM
Personally, I'd just use the prompt command to put my walking status into my prompt.  Then it'll stare me in the face as soon as I log on.  (I have a similar problem with remembering to change languages.)

You see... I already have my speed in my prompt on all my characters regardless of race. 

I still miss it constantly.

Brandon

I keep my speed status in my prompt for just this sort of thing, as I'm very forgetful.

Quote from: Eloran on March 07, 2009, 06:33:55 PM
I keep my speed status in my prompt for just this sort of thing, as I'm very forgetful.

I always do this too... regardless of character or race.

Well I guess it's only me who this annoys.

Brandon

I wouldn't mind the default being set to 'run' status. It's a minor annoyance, sure, as I do forget sometimes.

I was always a little irritated when desert elves ran in situations where they should be walking. I
see the run ability as their utility for traversing stretches of wilderness and desert.

They're not always traveling or hunting, sometimes they're strolling a bazaar or wandering through
a tavern, shop or outpost at a leisurely speed.

It kinda told me the elf in question wasn't paying attention to their surroundings, kind of the same
as forgetting to sheath your weapons when moving into law enforced areas.

Imagine the desert elf outpost if everyone was running at all times. You'd have to give them hamster
wheels or something.
Anonymous:  I don't get why magickers are so amazingly powerful in Arm.

Anonymous:  I mean... the concept of making one class completely dominating, and able to crush any other class after 5 days of power-playing, seems ridiculous to me.

I'm with Hot Dancer.

I always thought D-elves should be slowing down while hunting.  How would a mad charge forward at some big animal, or small, be more beneficial than creeping your way up and picking your first blow?

Something that always irked me.  Just because you -can- always run doesn't mean you -should- always run.
She wasn't doing a thing that I could see, except standing there leaning on the balcony railing, holding the universe together. --J.D. Salinger

Set up a trigger in your client that toggles your run as soon as you log on, or that just flashes "DON'T FORGET TO RUN" in big blinky red lights.

Quote from: Cavaticus on March 08, 2009, 12:58:25 AM
Set up a trigger in your client that toggles your run as soon as you log on, or that just flashes "DON'T FORGET TO RUN" "ON YOUR MARKS...GET SET...GO!" in big blinky red lights.
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: SmuzI come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: VanthSynthesis, you scare me a little bit.

Quote from: Cavaticus on March 08, 2009, 12:58:25 AM
Set up a trigger in your client that toggles your run as soon as you log on, or that just flashes "DON'T FORGET TO RUN" in big blinky red lights.

and

Quote from: Hot_Dancer on March 07, 2009, 07:24:31 PM
I was always a little irritated when desert elves ran in situations where they should be walking. I
see the run ability as their utility for traversing stretches of wilderness and desert.

They're not always traveling or hunting, sometimes they're strolling a bazaar or wandering through

It kinda told me the elf in question wasn't paying attention to their surroundings, kind of the same

Imagine the desert elf outpost if everyone was running at all times. You'd have to give them hamster
wheels or something.
Quote from: Marauder Moe
Oh my god he's still rocking the sandwich.

Quote from: Hot_Dancer on March 07, 2009, 07:24:31 PM

wheels or something.

That's all fine and good but it kind of hurts that you take a greater penalty to stamina when you walking as a d-elf then when you are running.

Brandon

Well....sand does get hot.  :D
"The fear of death is the most unjustified of all fears, for there's no risk of accident for someone who's dead."
-Albert Einstein

I laughed out loud.
Quote from: Twilight on January 22, 2013, 08:17:47 PMGreb - To scavenge, forage, and if Whira is with you, loot the dead.
Grebber - One who grebs.

If it didn't tire them out as quickly to walk... they'd walk, and where would be the fun in that?

Desert elves, the long-limbed desert walkers of Zalanthas.
she said slow down this train
slow down the iron that runs in my veins

Funny, I've always thought city elves should run more.  I'd see it as something that didn't even attract law enforcement attention, because elves run (or sneak).

Although, funnily, I don't think D-Elves would run in the city much, simply because it would already be pretty confusing for them.
Evolution ends when stupidity is no longer fatal."

I've never thought that d-elves should run everwhere just because we players understand that it costs less movement points for them to do so.

My thought process followed something akin to the same process it follows when deciding that my warrior shouldn't walk around with his weapons out at all times just because I as a player know that makes him better prepared for surprise combat ... ... did he end up dieing to an anakore? Maybe ... but I felt like he was well RP'ed, and that was what I was aiming for.
Quote from: Marauder Moe
Oh my god he's still rocking the sandwich.

#trigger {Welcome to the world of Zalanthas.} {run}
Quote from: scienceAn early study by Plaut and Kohn-Speyer (1947)[11] found that horse smegma had a carcinogenic effect on mice. Heins et al.(1958)