Returning to the world

Started by 5 day lifespan, March 03, 2009, 06:54:51 PM

Well it's been... 6 years since Ive played, and naturally this makes things somewhat difficult.  The relearning of the actual mechanics will be like riding a bike, the RP will be easy (if not far, far better) from experience and getting a number of stories and a novel under my belt.  I have a few problems, though.  First is that my last character is now a very old man in House Salaar.  I was a guard then, but now am 72 years old.  Obviously I can't return to guard status, so I was needing to know who the Imm is in charge of Salaar so I can talk to them about a new role for me.  I was thinking just some crotchety old timer who has survived too much and is now senile and crazy, letting me RP my confusion about the world as I get back into the swing of things.  The other issue I have is... I have no idea what has been happening since I left!  The overall political situation, any major wars, is the world green now, is Tektolnes now queen of the fairy princesses?  Both issues really have the same fix: just log in and go with the flow.  If I find my Imm though, I can get reinserted in perhaps a useful fashion.  Or at least not disruptive.

Any hints from my fellow players?
You'll never find a more wretched hive of scum and villany.  Except for maybe Allanak."

-Anonymous

March 03, 2009, 06:57:46 PM #1 Last Edit: March 03, 2009, 07:07:20 PM by Mechafish
Store you PC if you don't want him, it's better than trying to get a new role sometimes.

Dunno, but that's I would do.

EDIT: Welcome back.

March 03, 2009, 07:19:05 PM #2 Last Edit: March 03, 2009, 07:22:59 PM by Fathi
This is really something that you should email about rather than post on the GDB, as it:

1. Identifies your character to those of us who may someday interact with them.

and

2. Has a very slim chance of actually being seen by the relevant imms as opposed to, say, an email or a wish.

Personally, I would toss off an email to house_salarr@armageddon.org explaining your predicament. That's the easiest way to get in touch with who's in charge of your clan. There have been some changes to the game's method of staffing lately that result in your clan not necessarily having Salarr-specific imms, but rather a group of imms working over all the merchant houses. I'm sure any one of them would be able to offer you assistance.

Edit: Wow, I sounded like a bit of a patronising jackass. I meant more to offer an explanation as to why this thread will probably get locked or deleted if you keep that character.
And I vanish into the dark
And rise above my station

Welcome back!

I think the post is fine, seeing it's a genuine question. As mentioned, emailing House_Salarr@armageddon.org will send an email to all staff related to House Salarr. There's been a -lot- of changes in 6 years (maybe won't even recognize some aspects of the game), so it would be recommended to catch up on the documentation, if you haven't already.

But otherwise, best of wishes!

Definitely email as suggested.

And if you want to end up storing, that's certainly an option as well.

I've little doubt that House Salarr needs a good 72 year old dung cleaner, who doesn't these days!
Keeping the hunters, agents, merchants, and house gear clean!
Aide, assistant, the options are limitless.

Stuff that's happened:

Kanks dead.

RSE gone.

You should've seen the beginning of the liberation 6 years ago.

Copper War.

Gith War.

New Tuluk popping out of nowhere(see: HUGE)

Aaaaaaaaand.... I know there's tons more. It took me a while to grasp everything, and I'm still learning new things. I recently(6 months ago) came back from a 4ish year break myself. Good luck!
The man asks you:
     "'Bout damn time, lol.  She didn't bang you up too bad, did she?"
The man says, ooc:
     "OG did i jsut do that?"

Quote from: Shalooonsh
I love the players of this game.
That's not a random thought either.

March 03, 2009, 08:19:28 PM #6 Last Edit: March 03, 2009, 08:44:00 PM by SMuz
Lol, he missed the Copper War? That was like, forever ago. :P

I think it's cool that you have a senile, confused 72 year old guard. I would certainly play him for the sake of having a character who's actually been around since the old days. You should make him tell stories about how things used to be.

And.. he missed New Tuluk?
Quote from: Rahnevyn on March 09, 2009, 03:39:45 PM
Clans can give stat bonuses and penalties, too. The Byn drop in wisdom is particularly notorious.

Quote from: SMuz on March 03, 2009, 08:19:28 PM

Looking flabbergasted, the creaky old-timer says, in RPGish:
   "..."

March 03, 2009, 09:26:04 PM #8 Last Edit: March 03, 2009, 09:55:42 PM by 5 day lifespan
God, what do I remember...? When I created this character, Allanak had finally allowed House Kurac into it because of some actions the house took on Allanak's behalf in a battle at... Luir's I think?  My characters were never big movers and shakers, so drastic world events were beyond my scope.  I do remember vaguely what was going on in my House at the time, but that's privileged.  :winks:  Likely it's common knowledge now and could date me, but... :shrugs:  I remember an expedition beneath Allanak for... something.  ;)  I remember lots of time spent in Tor and the Tzai Byn.  Most of my characters were rangers or rinthers, lol.  I handled politics vicariously through my friends, whom many of you old timers probably interacted with.  Heh.  In any event, yeah, been a long time.  Looking forward to starting back.

Which reminds me.  I looked at my stats page in game and saw that my sub guild was (null).  Did they eliminate some sub guilds recently?  Also, I've been reading up on things on the page, but I havent found any new information yet, it's all been the same info that's been there since Sanvean posted it in 01.
You'll never find a more wretched hive of scum and villany.  Except for maybe Allanak."

-Anonymous

Welcome back!
Quote from: Twilight on January 22, 2013, 08:17:47 PMGreb - To scavenge, forage, and if Whira is with you, loot the dead.
Grebber - One who grebs.

Quote from: 5 day lifespan on March 03, 2009, 09:26:04 PM
Also, I've been reading up on things on the page, but I havent found any new information yet, it's all been the same info that's been there since Sanvean posted it in 01.

On the general information link for the main website, there should be some new links there. Tuluki Nobility, Jobs, and Gems are some recent (within a few months) additions to the files. History of Zalanthas should also have been updated with the latest world news.

I think it's cool that you have a senile, confused 72 year old guard. I would certainly play him for the sake of having a character who's actually been around since the old days. You should make him tell stories about how things used to be.

Six years. That would be back in 2003. That's right about when New Tuluk popped up. Liberation was around 2002, if I remember correctly. Copper Wars is UBER recent compared to that. :-p
The man asks you:
The man says, ooc:
     "OG did i jsut do that?"

Quote from: tortall on March 04, 2009, 01:14:13 AM

Six years. That would be back in 2003. That's right about when New Tuluk popped up. Liberation was around 2002, if I remember correctly. Copper Wars is UBER recent compared to that. :-p

That's right about when I started playing...Tuluk seemed pretty un-New at the time, or rather, it wasn't like it had just been re-built / put in game. People seemed to know their way around and such.

Then again, I could be mistaken, considering one of the first things I did as a newbie was spit on a Templar. So who knows!
"You will have useful work: the destruction of evil men. What work could be more useful? This is Beyond; you will find that your work is never done -- So therefore you may never know a life of peace."

~Jack Vance~

Quote from: Reiloth on March 04, 2009, 05:14:31 AM
That's right about when I started playing...Tuluk seemed pretty un-New at the time, or rather, it wasn't like it had just been re-built / put in game. People seemed to know their way around and such.

Then again, I could be mistaken, considering one of the first things I did as a newbie was spit on a Templar. So who knows!

That's ok. I came from a HS MUD and the first thing I did was "poke noble". Seriously. An Oashi too. Luckily he realized I was a n00b and helped me.
The man asks you:
The man says, ooc:
     "OG did i jsut do that?"

The world you've known six years ago is gone; A lot has changed in the world (including physically) when left your last footprints and the blood-stained sands. It will be a completely new world to you.

>drop pants
You do not have that item.

Welcome back!  And congrats on all the writing!

Morrolan
"I have seen him show most of the attributes one expects of a noble: courtesy, kindness, and honor.  I would also say he is one of the most bloodthirsty bastards I have ever met."

Wish up for a heart attack. It's a good IC way to die :P
Quote from: Rahnevyn on March 09, 2009, 03:39:45 PM
Clans can give stat bonuses and penalties, too. The Byn drop in wisdom is particularly notorious.

The crotchety old man walks into the stables and hands the stable hand a vellum ticket.
The stable hand points to a stable.  There is a dead kank here.
The crotchety old man says, in sirihish, "Oh shhhhhiii-"

-Anonymous

Copper War isn't really that uber recent. May-July 2006.

Quote from: Vessol on March 05, 2009, 02:28:01 AM
Copper War isn't really that uber recent. May-July 2006.

To some of us, it still is.
Quote from: Dalmeth
I've come to the conclusion that relaxing is not the lack of doing anything, but doing something that comes easily to you.

Brief explanation of the Copper War?  Did someone find a copper mine?

-Anonymous

Quote from: 5 day lifespan on March 05, 2009, 03:51:28 PM

Quote from: http://www.armageddon.org/cgi-bin/help_index/timeline.cgi
Tuluki forces capture a source of copper - an extremely rare and valuable resource - deep within the Red Desert. Very soon an army is sent from Allanak, led by Templar Malenthis Jal the Red, to try and wrestle control of the mine from them, and a two-month long conflict erupts, known as the Copper War. The war ends with both sides claiming victory as the Tuluki force, led by Templars Radic Lyksae, Eunoli Winrothol and Felysia Kassigarh, withdraws from the desert after having mostly spent the vein. The Allanaki army quickly seizes control over what is left and establishes a small camp at the location.

See also: http://www.zalanthas.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=20094
The sword is sharp, the spear is long,
The arrow swift, the Gate is strong.
The heart is bold that looks on gold;
The dwarves no more shall suffer wrong.

Quote from: 5 day lifespan on March 05, 2009, 03:51:28 PM

Basically. Tuluk and 'Nak dig in and start fighting in the desert. Both sides claim victory. Kurac is fined for letting Tuluk use their trade routes to resupply. Afterwards, lots a pcs with copper items.

Edit: oops brytta beat me
Now you're looking for the secret. But you won't find it because of course, you're not really looking. You don't really want to work it out. You want to be fooled.

Haha, I know exactly what you're feelin' mate.  I come back and my guy is a 78 year old T'zai Byn ...null subguild and all.

I just promptly went and killed him off and started over.  He was my only character I'd ever had, too.  Until then I had never died on Armageddon.