Re: I'd Like To Encourage-DERAIL

Started by RogueGunslinger, February 23, 2009, 12:13:54 AM

Quote from: Ourla on February 27, 2009, 09:25:05 AM
Quote from: SMuz on February 27, 2009, 09:16:04 AM
Anyway, I think a ton of Arm players are bad at RP-ing sex; I'd just like to see them not FTB when that happens.

Many of us have valid reasons for choosing not to roleplay out sex, such as respect for our RL significant others, being underage, fearing -you're- underage, etc.  It makes me laugh when people think FTB is 'bad' sex RP.

I agree with Riev.  Fools are awesome.  I wouldn't expect anyone to make a habit of playing them, but they sure lighten up the gameworld in between your mighty dwarven firemage or your sexy Kadian.

The plaintiff submits these logs found on her husband's computer which, as you can see if you turn your attention to the highlighted sections, clearly shows the defendant getting reamed by an ascii elf.

FTBing, followed by an OOC discussion, saves both my time, and your lotion.
Quote from: scienceAn early study by Plaut and Kohn-Speyer (1947)[11] found that horse smegma had a carcinogenic effect on mice. Heins et al.(1958)

Quote from: some templarYou are now afflicted with Zagu-la, crotch rot.  There is no way you could escape it from my fluids.

Funniest FTB ever.

P.S. You never know who's watching!
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: SmuzI come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: VanthSynthesis, you scare me a little bit.

Quote from: Synthesis on February 27, 2009, 03:13:21 PM
Quote from: some templarYou are now afflicted with Zagu-la, crotch rot.  There is no way you could escape it from my fluids.

Funniest FTB ever.

And who watches with the Watchman  ;D

Friday night at the Malken's is always a blast!
"When I was a fighting man, the kettle-drums they beat;
The people scattered gold-dust before my horse's feet;
But now I am a great king, the people hound my track
With poison in my wine-cup, and daggers at my back."

Quote from: Malken on February 27, 2009, 04:21:55 PM
Quote from: Synthesis on February 27, 2009, 03:13:21 PM

Funniest FTB ever.

And who watches with the Watchman  ;D

Friday night at the Malken's is always a blast!

lol wut?

Quote from: Niamh on February 28, 2009, 08:11:35 AM
I'd like to encourage more people to send kudos for PCs that their PC hates, not just for PCs that their PC likes.  Having a good time RPing with someone doesn't have to necessarily come from a good relationship with that PC.  It can come out of stupidity, scorn, fighting, treachery, betrayal, abuse, deception, thievery, insults, or even death.  Zalanthas is a brutal, harsh world, so send some love for those who make it so!
Lol, I do so send kudos to PCs that my PC hates. But usually it's after I kill them and congratulate them on being such a good sport to act so consistently stupid and consistently annoying that they get killed.

Also, I use it as a way of saying "I'm sorry I killed your 20-day warrior". If someone killed me, and did it with a memorable final scene, I'd kudos them too.
Quote from: Rahnevyn on March 09, 2009, 03:39:45 PM
Clans can give stat bonuses and penalties, too. The Byn drop in wisdom is particularly notorious.

Quote from: Ourla on February 27, 2009, 09:25:05 AM
Many of us have valid reasons for choosing not to roleplay out sex, such as respect for our RL significant others, being underage, fearing -you're- underage, etc.  It makes me laugh when people think FTB is 'bad' sex RP.

I hate to derail the derail, but seriously - qft.

This, here, is why none of my characters will ever have anything other than virtual romantic relationships.  In fact, they're all asexual freaks.  My wife has no interest in computers and computer games.  "But honey, it was just In Character?!" would have no meaning whatsoever to her, nor would it save my ass after she just finished watching Dr. OprahPhil's latest 6-hour after school special on rotten spouses who have emotional affairs over the internet because they are secretly satan worshiping drug addicts with gambling problems that are dissatisfied with their sex life.

Quote from: zanthalandreams on February 28, 2009, 09:45:59 AM
My wife has no interest in computers and computer games.  "But honey, it was just In Character?!" would have no meaning whatsoever to her, nor would it save my ass after she just finished watching Dr. OprahPhil's latest 6-hour after school special on rotten spouses who have emotional affairs over the internet because they are secretly satan worshiping drug addicts with gambling problems that are dissatisfied with their sex life.

Seriously? Did one of them really do that? I want to watch and laugh.
The man asks you:
     "'Bout damn time, lol.  She didn't bang you up too bad, did she?"
The man says, ooc:
     "OG did i jsut do that?"

Quote from: Shalooonsh
I love the players of this game.
That's not a random thought either.

Quote from: manonfire on November 04, 2013, 08:11:36 AM
The secret to great RP is having the balls to be weird and the brains to make it eloquent.

"But I don't want to go among mad people," Alice remarked.

"Oh, you can't help that," said the Cat: "we're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad."

"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.

"You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldn't have come here."

Quote from: tortall on February 28, 2009, 05:13:02 PM
Quote from: zanthalandreams on February 28, 2009, 09:45:59 AM
My wife has no interest in computers and computer games.  "But honey, it was just In Character?!" would have no meaning whatsoever to her, nor would it save my ass after she just finished watching Dr. OprahPhil's latest 6-hour after school special on rotten spouses who have emotional affairs over the internet because they are secretly satan worshiping drug addicts with gambling problems that are dissatisfied with their sex life.

Seriously? Did one of them really do that? I want to watch and laugh.
Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if they did. Something I've seen in the newspaper last year about symptoms of your spouse having emotional affairs over the Internet:

• Turns the monitor to face away from the door
  • Poses as a member of the opposite sex online
  • Often deletes text messages
  • Has a strange addiction to the Internet, to the point where he spends most of his time in chat rooms

There are plenty more to that list, which I forgot. Dr. Phil isn't the only one worried about this epidemic. But what the hell - RP-ing sex is the hardest part of the game, especially things like dwarf-elf relationships ;)
Clans can give stat bonuses and penalties, too. The Byn drop in wisdom is particularly notorious.

Quote from: flurry on March 28, 2009, 11:28:12 AM
I'd like to encourage people to give the story priority above their own character's success in it.
Heh, this is going to derail.

I don't get it whenever someone talks about the game being a story. Am I really the only one who doesn't get it? I see it all as a sort of artificial life thing - give the character a personality, background, some skills, then watch how everything clicks together, how the character procedurally generates his future. Honestly, I don't give much of a damn for any progression. I just love seeing my character live and interact with the world.

It's hard to describe. But story is far from the right word for it. It's.. a role. I don't see any success in it; it's a character trying to live his life. If he has to kill, he kills because that's what he does. Because it's what's convenient - he won't pull his blade to save someone else's story, nor will he do it "to advance the story". He kills because that's just what he would do.

Hmm.. just a thought.

Quote from: SMuz on March 28, 2009, 12:01:03 PM
Quote from: flurry on March 28, 2009, 11:28:12 AM
I'd like to encourage people to give the story priority above their own character's success in it.
Heh, this is going to derail.

I don't get it whenever someone talks about the game being a story. Am I really the only one who doesn't get it? I see it all as a sort of artificial life thing - give the character a personality, background, some skills, then watch how everything clicks together, how the character procedurally generates his future. Honestly, I don't give much of a damn for any progression. I just love seeing my character live and interact with the world.

It's hard to describe. But story is far from the right word for it. It's.. a role. I don't see any success in it; it's a character trying to live his life. If he has to kill, he kills because that's what he does. Because it's what's convenient - he won't pull his blade to save someone else's story, nor will he do it "to advance the story". He kills because that's just what he would do.

Hmm.. just a thought.

Im kinda in agreement. I am writing my own story, not "participating in one". So to prioritize something other than what I am creating myself, would put my own goals secondary. I don't really see that as conducive to what I'm trying to get out of the game.
Quote from: SynthesisI always thought of jozhals as like...reptilian wallabies.

Quote from: FiveDisgruntledMonkeysWitI pictured them as cute, glittery mini-velociraptors.
Kinda like a My Little Pony that could eat your face.

I could have worded it better, but I guess what I basically meant was "winning isn't everything".  Let your character overlook things, make poor decisions, give in to temptation, be hoodwinked, or otherwise be less than awesome.
"No live organism can continue for long to exist sanely under conditions of absolute reality; even larks and katydids are supposed, by some, to dream." - Shirley Jackson, The Haunting of Hill House

Quote from: Jenred on March 29, 2009, 09:38:08 PM
Im kinda in agreement. I am writing my own story, not "participating in one". So to prioritize something other than what I am creating myself, would put my own goals secondary. I don't really see that as conducive to what I'm trying to get out of the game.

The thing is though that so often, despite our best efforts for our PC's, our plans for them just do not work out and the story we were contemplating for them is entirely different from the story they end up having.  That does not mean that their story will not end up every bit as exciting as the one we had planned for them, however, if we just let it roll and keep them living in the moment.

I remember writing up the highlights of the life of one my first PC's for the newly instituted staff wiki.  This was back before there was biography code.  As I read back over the five or six paragraphs, I thought ... wow, did she ever have an interesting life, now that I see it written up like that.  And it was absolutely nothing like what I'd planned. I'd planned for her to be a street performer, a juggler and acrobat, who'd eventually work for House Fale (which unbeknownst to newbie me was only virtual then).  Though for the first RL month I played her she was the juggler, soon after that, Fate in the person of a scary, blood-sucking templar intervened and threw her life in a different direction.  The collective story of Zalanthas superceded my own story but gave me a better, richer one for about six RL months.

I guess what people mean when they say "to give the story priority above their own character's success in it" is to not be so fixed on a set plan that you don't move realistically in the world around you just because it is not what you planned to happen.

Quote from: J S BachIf it ain't baroque, don't fix it.

The point that I agree with is......

Don't try and make a perfect PC. They must have flaws to have good, meaningful conflict. You have to make bad decisions for your character because that is what the uneducated character would do.

Don't try and "win." This means that if I sneak up on you and pull a knife on you, don't go "Oh I am a badass 10 days played warrior and I think that guy is really a pickpocket guild. I am going to attack them!" Don't just insta-flee either. Why don't you RP it out? You don't know what I am capable of, or who I'm hiding.
Quote from: Cutthroat on September 30, 2008, 10:15:55 PM
> forage artifacts

You find a rusty, armed landmine and pick it up.

March 30, 2009, 02:39:50 AM #90 Last Edit: March 30, 2009, 02:43:04 AM by Jingo
I the idea is that this is a communal game. We're driving the narrative together. I think the key here is really whether or not you're interacting with the rest of the world. If you're just interacting with the code, or just one aspect of the game and ignoring the others, then we have a problem.

There's nothing wrong with having a character motivated by certain goals. It's definetly encouraged. Just don't always expect your character to know the best course of action every step of the way.

Also, kudos for everyone who goes out of their way to put themselves at a disadvantage. Even something as simple as using a whisper to spread sensitive info rather than The Way.
Now you're looking for the secret. But you won't find it because of course, you're not really looking. You don't really want to work it out. You want to be fooled.

Quote from: flurry on March 29, 2009, 11:25:44 PM
I could have worded it better, but I guess what I basically meant was "winning isn't everything".  Let your character overlook things, make poor decisions, give in to temptation, be hoodwinked, or otherwise be less than awesome.
I understood what you meant. Just wanted to derail ;)

Yeah, I love putting myself at a disadvantage. I used to try and get as much as an advantage, like every other noob, but I find that it's more fun to actually just go along with the game. Those little things like hemoting when I'm lying or purposely not paying attention when my character has long think sessions. Those things can be even more fun than winning, especially the consequences. I don't think anyone will actually kill you for lying to them or actually pickpocket you when you whisper "I have a 2000 'sid shipment" so go ahead.

Quote from: SMuz on March 30, 2009, 02:58:13 AM
I don't think anyone will actually kill you for lying to them or actually pickpocket you when you whisper "I have a 2000 'sid shipment" so go ahead.

Actually...I've murdered several characters after overhearing them bragging about all the cool stuff they had in their packs.  Welcome to Armageddon!

Quote from: Jingo on March 30, 2009, 02:39:50 AM
Also, kudos for everyone who goes out of their way to put themselves at a disadvantage. Even something as simple as using a whisper to spread sensitive info rather than The Way.

I'm typically more concerned about mindworms than jack nobody the ranger. But I get what you're saying.

QuotePsionicists
Hmm.. I've always thought that anyone given the responsibility to play psions would be the most mature roleplayers. Hell, if you could get to 9 karma (or spec apped one and succeeded), you're practically staff :P

I've never, not once, had a bad experience with psionicists. Conflicts, sure, but all of them were great and added to the game.

God. Lets not turn this thread onto Psi's too.    ???
Quoteemote pees into your eyes deeply

Quote from: Delirium on November 28, 2012, 02:26:33 AM
I don't always act superior... but when I do it's on the forums of a text-based game

It's like.. the derail thread. It's for turning into whatever crap that's not cool on the main thread :P

Quote from: SMuz on April 21, 2009, 05:53:07 AM
QuotePsionicists
I've always thought that anyone given the responsibility to play psions would be the most mature roleplayers.

Yeah, you'd think, wouldn't you?