I'd Like To Encourage

Started by Is Friday, February 21, 2009, 02:50:09 PM

People to read the social rank tables. I'm tired of people treating my PC as an inferior, when they're not, or as a superior, when they're not.
Quote from: Gimfalisette
(10:00:49 PM) Gimf: Yes, you sentence? I sentence often.

Quote from: jcljules on May 03, 2009, 09:06:06 PM
People to read the social rank tables. I'm tired of people treating my PC as an inferior, when they're not, or as a superior, when they're not.

The social rank tables is not the be all and end all of social exchange. A lot of things matter other than that.

Well, yes, of course there are a lot of different factors. But I've experienced some obvious mistakes... like PCs being deferent to my PC who were several stations above him, for no real reason.

For example (not related to anything IC at all) a Tuluki commoner with no affiliation referring to a Master Assassin as "criminal scum."

Wasn't meant just to be critical of other people--I hadn't read them until recently and I've learned a lot from them.

I'd like to encourage people to stop dying. I'm tired of making new friends. I want to keep you damnit!
The man asks you:
     "'Bout damn time, lol.  She didn't bang you up too bad, did she?"
The man says, ooc:
     "OG did i jsut do that?"

Quote from: Shalooonsh
I love the players of this game.
That's not a random thought either.

Quote from: tortall on May 03, 2009, 09:34:06 PM
I'd like to encourage people to stop dying. I'm tired of making new friends. I want to keep you damnit!

Try living for over 2 rl years with the same character.

Or, hell, 4 - or 8, or more. It's happened before.

Quote from: a strange shadow on May 03, 2009, 09:37:55 PM
Try living for over 2 rl years with the same character.
Quote from: manonfire on November 04, 2013, 08:11:36 AM
The secret to great RP is having the balls to be weird and the brains to make it eloquent.

Does Sargax really count? Really?

Old Stone > Sargax
Some scientists speculate that certain deep-sea species may use whale falls as stepping-stones to extend their range and colonize other ecosystems

What is wrong with Sargax? (I dont know him other than 2 minutes of interaction that was... 5 years ago or so)
some of my posts are serious stuff

Nothing, heh, he was just so flaming old that he broke the curve on PC lifespans.

...that have been other ancients, though... and I'm sure some still remain..

*ominous music plays*
Some scientists speculate that certain deep-sea species may use whale falls as stepping-stones to extend their range and colonize other ecosystems

Quote from: jcljules on May 03, 2009, 09:28:45 PM
Well, yes, of course there are a lot of different factors. But I've experienced some obvious mistakes... like PCs being deferent to my PC who were several stations above him, for no real reason.

For example (not related to anything IC at all) a Tuluki commoner with no affiliation referring to a Master Assassin as "criminal scum."

Wasn't meant just to be critical of other people--I hadn't read them until recently and I've learned a lot from them.

I think this is probably something you should be looking at and thinking about IC'ly. I think it's very likely that there are IC explanations for activity of this sort and that it has nothing to do with the other person not being aware of social rank OOC'ly.
Quoteemote pees into your eyes deeply

Quote from: Delirium on November 28, 2012, 02:26:33 AM
I don't always act superior... but when I do it's on the forums of a text-based game

A few I saw in here that I also strongly promote.

A long lived PC

Try and play a long lifer, at least once. I've played a few, they are fun and you have an awesome history after a while. Plus it's always cool to meet a PC in game that can tell you -real- stories that you might remember from a while ago.

Bios

Awesome way to flesh your PC out, keep up with your personal history.

Keep it IC

I used to be a big OOC chat person, I still have some OOC friends, that stupid mansa who has Pig Flu. I don't talk about my PC's though, ever, anymore to anyone. I've been keeping that up for about 4-5 years now and playing is a lot more fun. Tensions between you and other characters are more dangerous, love interests more spicy, surprises actually come as a surprise. OOC com can honestly ruin the game for you. If you are a bit of an OOC chatter, try and go without for a while, see if you like it better.

Hemote

Yay!! I love Hemoting. Love, love love.. encourage all to use and abuse it.. Yay!

That's all I got on encouragement right now.

Quote from: jmordetskySarah's TALZEN Makeup Bag–YOU MAY NOT PASS! YOU ARE DEFILED WITH A Y CHROMOSOME, PENIS WIELDER! ATTEMPT AGAIN AND YOU WILL BE STRUCK DEAD!
Quote from: JollyGreenGiant"C'mon, attack me with this raspberry..."

Quote from: sarahjc on May 04, 2009, 01:56:57 PM
Hemote

Yay!! I love Hemoting. Love, love love.. encourage all to use and abuse it.. Yay!

There is nothing better than a long hemote session.
The man asks you:
The man says, ooc:
     "OG did i jsut do that?"

Quote from: tortall on May 04, 2009, 07:49:52 PM
Hemote

I hemote a lot, hoping people will notice. Or, I did with one character in particular, anyway.
Quote from: nessalin on July 11, 2016, 02:48:32 PM
Trunk
hidden by 'body/torso'
hides nipples

Quote from: Zoltan on May 04, 2009, 08:35:20 PM
Quote from: tortall on May 04, 2009, 07:49:52 PM
Hemote

Is it bad RP to just plain emote, "You notice:" something instead of using hemote? Like something that your PC wants others to see, but also wants them to think he's being furtive about it. Or maybe if you want to RP your PC being bad at subtlety, so -everyone- notices his mistakes.

I hemote a lot, hoping people will notice. Or, I did with one character in particular, anyway.

Why not just emote doing it poorly?

Quote from: RogueGunslinger on May 04, 2009, 11:26:39 PM
Why not just emote doing it poorly?
This is a better venue than faking the echo.
"Never was anything great achieved without danger."
     -Niccolo Machiavelli

Yeah, I'd like to encourage avoiding OOC too. There have been a few cases where my character was pondering releasing some fool who he knocked out. But after that fool started OOC-ing "sorry" or ":-(" or "this is my first char", something of that sort, I just toss in a OOC "keep it IC, nothing personal" then kill him. Even when I pondered letting him go. Playing the newbie card runs close to cheating, IMO and is rather annoying, especially when I let you go the last time and you just spam fled.

If you really want to beg for mercy, I'd encourage you to do it ICly. Show fear, cower, stutter, whatever. If you're KOed, then emote your tears as you lay upon the ground bleeding, and such. Don't OOC hoping for mercy from the player.
Quote from: Rahnevyn on March 09, 2009, 03:39:45 PM
Clans can give stat bonuses and penalties, too. The Byn drop in wisdom is particularly notorious.

i'd like to encourage people to glare at gemmers more as they mutter under their breath, spit on elves more, and kick the gut of breeds more

i'd like to encourage more racism, bigotry and hate. This is Armageddon! Not Tolkien Fantasy World #5829!

I'd like to encourage people to enjoy their spam-skilling/skinning/casting/crafting/scripting when they at least -think- they're alone...and play more believably when they -know- they're not alone.

Emotes don't equal roleplay.  Ignoring your character's immediate environment and circumstances when you utilize the game commands/skill code...also does not equal roleplay.
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

Use the sniff command more. It rocks. Sniff room. You'll be amazed. And taste. People should experiment with seasonings more. They rock.

And smoke spice and wear perfume to give us sniffers a good wiff other than dust and sweat!
The man asks you:
The man says, ooc:
     "OG did i jsut do that?"

i too wouold like more people to sniff and be sniffable.
Quote from: Twilight on January 22, 2013, 08:17:47 PMGreb - To scavenge, forage, and if Whira is with you, loot the dead.
Grebber - One who grebs.

I use sniff all the damn time. Great command.
Quote from: nessalin on July 11, 2016, 02:48:32 PM
Trunk
hidden by 'body/torso'
hides nipples

I never do because I'm unsure if/how it echoes.
Quote from: Synthesis
Quote from: lordcooper
You go south and one of the other directions that isn't north.  That is seriously the limit of my geographical knowledge of Arm.
Sarge?