I'd Like To Encourage

Started by Is Friday, February 21, 2009, 02:50:09 PM

More hemotes. Do you. You know you want to. All those little things that you do that are sooo small that you wouldn't normally emote. Make them come to life. I <3 people who hemote. You know who you are.
The man asks you:
     "'Bout damn time, lol.  She didn't bang you up too bad, did she?"
The man says, ooc:
     "OG did i jsut do that?"

Quote from: Shalooonsh
I love the players of this game.
That's not a random thought either.

Quote from: tortall on March 28, 2009, 12:16:41 AM
More hemotes.

The hemote is the finest flower of character interaction...perhaps the cherry blossom.  Gone so quickly, you might or might not even notice.

I love hemotes.

Morrolan
"I have seen him show most of the attributes one expects of a noble: courtesy, kindness, and honor.  I would also say he is one of the most bloodthirsty bastards I have ever met."

Most of the time I want to hemote, I realize the action is PROBABLY flagrant enough that it wouldn't be -that- hidden.

What are some good, casual hemotes?
Quote from: IAmJacksOpinion on May 20, 2013, 11:16:52 PM
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.

Quote from: Riev on March 28, 2009, 02:00:47 AM
Farting. Readjusting yourself. Looking at boobs, a groin or some other object of interest without want it to be too obvious.
Quote from: LauraMars
Quote from: brytta.leofaLaura, did weird tribal men follow you around at age 15?
If by weird tribal men you mean Christians then yes.

Quote from: Malifaxis
She was teabagging me.

My own mother.

March 28, 2009, 02:08:33 AM #104 Last Edit: March 28, 2009, 02:10:18 AM by hyzhenhok
Most of the time I want to hemote, I realize the action is PROBABLY flagrant enough that it wouldn't be -that- hidden.

Scratching. Sniffing. Picking the nose. Picking the ear. Eating the said pickings.

Hemotes are great for Zalanthan prejudice, too.

>stand
>tell annoying.scary.gemmer Yeah, maybe I'll see you around.
>think Yeah, right. (OR) >think Tek's balls, he scares the shit out of me!
>hemote shakes his head as he leaves the tavern. (OR) >hemote scurries out of the tavern a little hastily.
>s

March 28, 2009, 02:46:10 AM #105 Last Edit: March 28, 2009, 11:56:32 AM by SMuz
Body language is lovely.

>feel annoyed
>:smiles at ~lizzie.
>phemote eyes glare at ~lizzie as ^me lips pull into a fake smile.

>feel sad
>phemote eyes moisten as #me tells his tale.

>feel disgusted
>hemote wrinkles ^me nose as #me eyes the vomit on the ground.

>think Ooh.. that guy left his coins on his lap.
>phemote fingers wrap around ~mug excitedly.

Etc, anything light. Do it whenever your thinking or feeling.
Quote from: Rahnevyn on March 09, 2009, 03:39:45 PM
Clans can give stat bonuses and penalties, too. The Byn drop in wisdom is particularly notorious.

I'd like to encourage people to give the story priority above their own character's success in it.
"No live organism can continue for long to exist sanely under conditions of absolute reality; even larks and katydids are supposed, by some, to dream." - Shirley Jackson, The Haunting of Hill House

I know Smuz meant:

>:smiles at ~character.
>phemote eyes glare at ~character as his lips pull a fake smile.

and not

>:smiles at you.
>phemote eyes glare at you as his lips pull a fake smile.

Because everyone knows it's really REALLY bad form to use "you" because then, everyone in the room, seen, unseen, known, and unknown, thinks you are doing something to them.

Remember, if I'm hiding in your apartment while you are mudsexing your girlfriend, and I see:

The tall, muscular man grinds his penis against you.

I am going to pull out my blade and cut your character's penis off.
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

Lol, I was being lazy. On the GDB. Fixed. Somehow, I knew at the back of my head someone would jump on that :P Yes, I messed up the #me part too, but it should echo correctly to others regardless of whether I forgot my character's gender.
Clans can give stat bonuses and penalties, too. The Byn drop in wisdom is particularly notorious.

Oh I never cared about the whole "me" stuff. I don't ever use it. I figure, the only one who's gonna see it wrong, is me. And I already see it wrong because of the whole:

The Lizzified PC looks at your gloves.

When the Lizzified PC is me. It should be

You look at your gloves.

But we get half first person half third. So who cares if you don't use #me and use "his" instead? You're the only one who will notice :)
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

I like to use hemotes when my characters lie. Or when they're trying to hide their true feelings about stuff.

For example...

emote sitting at ~table, her hands folded primly in her lap, @ watches the discussion between ~man and ~woman with casual interest

hemote casts a desperate glance toward the door

think If I'm stuck in here with these morons for one more hour, I'm going to 'tokshit and stab somebody.

emote as ~sergeant walks in, @ taps his hand to his chest in a salute

phemote eyes never actually leave ~buxom during the saluting process

tell recruit (lifting a staying hand, her tone easy and confident) Relax, there. You keep an eye on the mounts while I poke my head in--I'm sure there's nothin' to worry about.

hemote casts a single, apprehensive glance back and forth between ~recruit and the mouth of the cave.
And I vanish into the dark
And rise above my station

More use of clan rumor boards. I feel like an arrogant jerk for posting on rumor threads. Cause nobody else does. So everyone else should too! Seriously, its important to know what your PC should ICly know, even if you've been taking a bit of a break. Nobody wants to log on to find that their city-state has been conquered for months.
Quote from: Gimfalisette
(10:00:49 PM) Gimf: Yes, you sentence? I sentence often.

Quote from: jcljules on March 28, 2009, 07:47:59 PM
More use of clan rumor boards. I feel like an arrogant jerk for posting on rumor threads. Cause nobody else does. So everyone else should too! Seriously, its important to know what your PC should ICly know, even if you've been taking a bit of a break. Nobody wants to log on to find that their city-state has been conquered for months.
Lol, at one time I was wondering why I couldn't find any clan members in the 2 straight RL days I was logging in. So did a post on the clan forum, and a teammate was like "Oh, we moved to Allanak a week ago." Then I ragequitted the clan.

Yeah, use IC boards for all important events, like when you're transferring half/all of the clan, major events, deaths of notable clan members, etc.

Does sneak effect the 'strength' of hemotes?
I won't tell you how... but I seem to get away with a particular action. ALOT. ;D
Live like God.
Love like God.

"Don't let life be your burden."
- Some guy, Twin Warriors

I would like to encourage the creation of more "grimy" PCs.
It seems like at least in one part of the world, everyone is a well-dressed, well-mannered, Aide to someone, or a bard, or a merchant, or a beautiful friendly vagabond, living well and friends with everyone.

I miss the days, before Tuluk being rebuilt, where rough-and-tumble was the standard. Raiders were everywhere, dead-bodies dotted the wilderness between reboots. Not to say they had to be ugly and rude, but the no-nonsense characters that'd slit a man's throat for taking the last swig of ale at a party.

The game just seems alot less dangerous.

One rude PC, who is realistically portraying a character at wit's end in a desert-hell world, is ostracized by the very clique-ish pbase. Its just not the same anymore. And now Arm 2.0 is supposed to be even more hospitable?
Quote from: SynthesisI always thought of jozhals as like...reptilian wallabies.

Quote from: FiveDisgruntledMonkeysWitI pictured them as cute, glittery mini-velociraptors.
Kinda like a My Little Pony that could eat your face.

Quote from: JenredI would like to encourage the creation of more "grimy" PCs.
It seems like at least in one part of the world, everyone is a well-dressed, well-mannered, Aide to someone, or a bard, or a merchant, or a beautiful friendly vagabond, living well and friends with everyone.

I miss the days, before Tuluk being rebuilt, where rough-and-tumble was the standard. Raiders were everywhere, dead-bodies dotted the wilderness between reboots. Not to say they had to be ugly and rude, but the no-nonsense characters that'd slit a man's throat for taking the last swig of ale at a party.

The game just seems alot less dangerous.

One rude PC, who is realistically portraying a character at wit's end in a desert-hell world, is ostracized by the very clique-ish pbase. Its just not the same anymore. And now Arm 2.0 is supposed to be even more hospitable?

I'd like to encourage less IC prejudice against grime and filth. You're in Zalanthas, and you see this every day, unless you're a very sheltered noble or something. Make sure your character has an IC reason before ostracizing someone for appearing dirty or nasty. There are plenty of IC reasons, but I see people bringing OOC real-world prejudices to bear instead a lot.

I'd like to encourage people to jump to less conclusions RP-wise when the code tells you a certain thing. For example, equipment with the "smelly" tag is smelly. It is not necessarily covered in shit.

April 03, 2009, 11:59:53 PM #116 Last Edit: April 04, 2009, 12:50:28 AM by SMuz
Oh, wait, never mind, I was stoned. Wrong game.

I'd like to see people more inclined to RP losing a little bit. Being embarassed, losing a fight, being afraid... My PCs have beaten the shit out of people in barfights only to have their opponents act as if nothing has happened. You should be physically in pain, and a bit humbled too. But no, its always "I'll get you next time, buddy!" while smirking at you through the blood.

Quote from: el_cid on April 05, 2009, 06:27:48 PM
I'd like to see people more inclined to RP losing a little bit. Being embarassed, losing a fight, being afraid... My PCs have beaten the shit out of people in barfights only to have their opponents act as if nothing has happened. You should be physically in pain, and a bit humbled too. But no, its always "I'll get you next time, buddy!" while smirking at you through the blood.

I enjoy playing the loser, but frankly, it can be a bit tiring sometimes. I see your point, though, and agree.
Quote from: nessalin on July 11, 2016, 02:48:32 PM
Trunk
hidden by 'body/torso'
hides nipples

More average. plain, and ugly PCs.  They really add to the gritty, dirty, harsh feel of the environment, and reflect just how hard life on Zalanthas is.
Eastman: he came out of the east to do battle with The Amazing Rando!

April 06, 2009, 01:00:35 AM #120 Last Edit: April 06, 2009, 12:20:25 PM by Nyr
People to REALLY play bards. Like, sing. Play. Dance. Perform. Do SOMETHING. I haven't seen more than one or two that really seem to be trying in a while.
The man asks you:
     "'Bout damn time, lol.  She didn't bang you up too bad, did she?"
The man says, ooc:
     "OG did i jsut do that?"

Quote from: Shalooonsh
I love the players of this game.
That's not a random thought either.

Quote from: Niamh on April 05, 2009, 08:09:15 PM
More average. plain, and ugly PCs.  They really add to the gritty, dirty, harsh feel of the environment, and reflect just how hard life on Zalanthas is.

I LOVE ugly PCs.

Brandon
Quote from: Ghost on December 16, 2009, 06:15:17 PM
brandon....

you did the biggest mistake of your life

People to use the Tdesc function. I haven't seen it used once yet on a pc other than mine.

Quote from: RogueGunslinger on April 07, 2009, 03:49:41 PM
People to use the Tdesc function. I haven't seen it used once yet on a pc other than mine.
The sword is sharp, the spear is long,
The arrow swift, the Gate is strong.
The heart is bold that looks on gold;
The dwarves no more shall suffer wrong.

Quote from: brytta.leofa on April 07, 2009, 04:30:12 PM
Quote from: RogueGunslinger on April 07, 2009, 03:49:41 PM

I often use it after a day of hunting, adding some sweat, or my hair to being messed up or matted.

Other than that, I never think of a reason to use it. People seem anxious to actually LOOK at people because of lookspam, so nobody ever notices it.

Though, I AM waiting for some gicker to tdesc a tiny demon perched on their shoulder, or something. =)
Quote from: IAmJacksOpinion on May 20, 2013, 11:16:52 PM
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.