I'd Like To Encourage

Started by Is Friday, February 21, 2009, 02:50:09 PM

Quote from: Fathi on February 26, 2009, 03:33:33 AM
I'd like to encourage people to cool down about the GDB and Armageddon in general.

A lot of folks seem to take the game way, waaaaaay too personally.

I think it's healthy to take a step back every so often and ask yourself if all the rage is really worth it. Kthx.

NONSENSE.

otherwise we'd all play fucking nethack or something easier.

I love nethack.
I encourage everyone to play nethack.
"But I don't want to go among mad people," Alice remarked.

"Oh, you can't help that," said the Cat: "we're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad."

"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.

"You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldn't have come here."

I'd like to encourage n00by lurve.

Had people not helped me out when I joined, I wouldn't be here. (hopefully that doesn't cause any regrets for those that helped me ;D)
A staff member sends you:
"Normally we don't see a <redacted> walk into a room full of <redacted> and start indiscriminately killing."

You send to staff:
"Welcome to Armageddon."

I would like to encourage people to play Joe and Jane average.
To not be focused on earning sids, collecting tons of "stuff" and just live our their meager commoner lives.

I'd like to encourage people to play the fool sometimes. Yes, you are a PC, and for some hidden reason, are better than most NPCs and vNPCs in the area. However, maybe you are a TWAT at dancing. Emote it out.

Maybe you aren't great at hitting on people. Trip over your words.

Better, you aren't great at sex. Mudsex someone and emote simply laying there, making gutteral and unconvincing moans.

I bet there are a TON of RL relationships where one person is a dead fuck. BE THAT PERSON.
Quote from: IAmJacksOpinion on May 20, 2013, 11:16:52 PM
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.

I'd like to encourage people to play whatever type of character that makes them the most excited about Zalanthas and the most immersed in its culture and the most like making that world come alive for other players.
Quote from: Synthesis
Quote from: lordcooper
You go south and one of the other directions that isn't north.  That is seriously the limit of my geographical knowledge of Arm.
Sarge?

I'd like to encourage that more arm players play NETHACK~! And not that new fangled one with pictures. If I'm not an @ symbol, there's no point.

I'd also like to encourage arm players to stop being griefing jackasses to each other. This is a cooperative game and we're community.
Mansa to Me: "You are a cancer to ArmageddonMUD."

I'd like to encourage people giving me all your monies!
Just kidding.
I would really like to see people giving each other high-fives. That would make my week.
Live like God.
Love like God.

"Don't let life be your burden."
- Some guy, Twin Warriors

February 26, 2009, 11:34:19 PM #58 Last Edit: February 27, 2009, 12:42:48 AM by Malken
I'd like to encourage people to stop playing like they think they are really alone in a room, when they think they are, because chances are, you aren't.
You are never alone, you are always being watched.

Please don't use "you", "your", please don't go in long OOC conversations.. And what makes me go  ??? the most is when two people suddenly go quiet, for a long period of time, in sync,
and without any warning whatsoever OOCly.

Oh, and using your character's name in an emote is also a big no-no.
"When I was a fighting man, the kettle-drums they beat;
The people scattered gold-dust before my horse's feet;
But now I am a great king, the people hound my track
With poison in my wine-cup, and daggers at my back."

I'd like to encourage everyone to think really hard and decide who their favorite PC to role play with is.

Now send a Kudos to that person and make their day.
Quote from: Twilight on January 22, 2013, 08:17:47 PMGreb - To scavenge, forage, and if Whira is with you, loot the dead.
Grebber - One who grebs.

Quote from: Malken on February 26, 2009, 11:34:19 PMPlease don't use "you", "your", please don't go in long OOC conversations.. And what makes me go  ??? the most is when two people suddenly go quiet, for a long period of time, in sync,
and without any warning whatsoever OOCly.

Man, on that note, I'd like to encourage people to sometimes go with their small ooc mistakes without going 'ooc sorry, misdirect' or whatever. Of course, if it's like a -huge- misdirect, like you accidentally kick a templar in the groin instead of the drunk Bynner you were brawling, that's fine.

Sometimes I just don't understand why an OOC channel is necessary, unless there's new players around, or someone's joining a clan.

Sometimes I just don't understand why an OOC channel is necessary, unless there's new players around, or someone's joining a clan.

It's mostly for this.

I'd like to encourage people to relax about the game.  This means eschewing attachment to coded power, being more tolerant of other players' play-style... and most importantly, remembering that the game is there for you.  So many times I see people get freaked out (and I'm one of them, alot of the time) that their character isn't "good enough" for any Imms who might happen by.  At the slightest hint of admin interaction, they freeze, and it can take alot of the fun out of the game.  Play your character the way you want to, and confidently, and they'll be convincing.
she said slow down this train
slow down the iron that runs in my veins

I'd like to encourage everyone to bring their OOC gossip to me. :( No one ever shares juicy sexy IC info with me.

I'd also like to see more kudos in my inbox. -I- know how awesome and great of an RPer I really am. Do you how much of a pleasure it is to play with me? If so, tell me.

On a serious note, I encourage everyone to not let the GDB ruin the game. It's all in fun, even if it gets a little hateful. But in all honesty, I don't care what any of my fellow players say OOCly. I don't read the GDB or play the game because it's OOCly satisfying. I do it because of the GAME itself stomping so much ass. If I thought, for a single moment, that the GDB might ruin my enjoyment of the game itself, I would swith my homepage to tubgirl and never return to these hallowed halls.
We were somewhere near the Shield Wall, on the edge of the Red Desert, when the drugs began to take hold...

Quote from: Rhyden on February 27, 2009, 12:29:51 AM

Or for saying that you'll be afk for a second or such, though the gone command works too. OOC is a bit more noticable and I've seen people not notice 'gones'.

> The clueless newb digs around in his pockets, pulling out some gold.

> You say, out of character:
     "'sid, not gold, man."
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: SmuzI come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: VanthSynthesis, you scare me a little bit.

Quote from: staggerlee on February 26, 2009, 01:26:21 PM
I love nethack.
I encourage everyone to play nethack.

ADOM pwns Nutsack.
Quote from: scienceAn early study by Plaut and Kohn-Speyer (1947)[11] found that horse smegma had a carcinogenic effect on mice. Heins et al.(1958)

February 27, 2009, 11:12:19 PM #66 Last Edit: February 27, 2009, 11:15:25 PM by HATSnHARLOTRY
I'd like to encourage kudos for sponsored roles. Sponsored pc's are pc's too. :(

Quote from: Synthesis on February 27, 2009, 05:26:00 PM

"'sid, not gold, man."

Naturally, helping newbs out is fine.

It's the...

The tall, muscular man glances at the red-haired woman and coughs.

The tall, muscular man says, ooc:
   "sorry misdir, wrong target."

The tall, muscular man glances at the blue-haired woman and coughs.

Sorry, but the needless OOC irks me. I think it should be a very last resort, when not helping new players, or joining a clan.

Quote from: Rhyden on February 28, 2009, 12:19:34 AM
Quote from: Synthesis on February 27, 2009, 05:26:00 PM

"'sid, not gold, man."

Naturally, helping newbs out is fine.

It's the...

The tall, muscular man glances at the red-haired woman and coughs.

The tall, muscular man says, ooc:
   "sorry misdir, wrong target."

The tall, muscular man glances at the blue-haired woman and coughs.

Sorry, but the needless OOC irks me. I think it should be a very last resort, when not helping new players, or joining a clan.

I don't think it's needless. It helps to make confusing mistakes not confusing.

I think that the the

the guy laguhs loudly.

the guy says OOC,
   "Sorry, I meant to say "laughs", not "laguhs".

is a little needless. But then again, it doesn't ruin the entire game for me or make me feel like punching babies when it happens.

Typically when I use the OOC command, it's to explain something to an obviously new player (like why they should not have put their Tuluki star on their PC's face), or to set up a "next time to meet online" RL time with a player so that a plot can get pushed forward without the weeks and weeks of "waiting to bump into them by chance" delay.

In both situations though, I think it's only polite to move off into a room where other people are not currently trying to RP.
Quote from: Marauder Moe
Oh my god he's still rocking the sandwich.

Quote from: Yam on February 28, 2009, 01:16:13 AM
I don't think it's needless. It helps to make confusing mistakes not confusing.

You're right. In certain situations, it makes mistakes made less confusing. In other situations, I find it jarring. Like typos. I don't care if you spell mask 'msak' and go ooc: "Oh shit, sorry, I meant mask!" (not that anyone does this). We get it. What I'm trying to say is the OOC command doesn't have to be used for -every- mistake. That's all. Maybe I should be posting this in the 'Idle Complaints' thread. :(

I'd like to encourage more tribals. There's never enough of you guys. Good tribals that is.
The man asks you:
     "'Bout damn time, lol.  She didn't bang you up too bad, did she?"
The man says, ooc:
     "OG did i jsut do that?"

Quote from: Shalooonsh
I love the players of this game.
That's not a random thought either.

I'd like to encourage more people to send kudos for PCs that their PC hates, not just for PCs that their PC likes.  Having a good time RPing with someone doesn't have to necessarily come from a good relationship with that PC.  It can come out of stupidity, scorn, fighting, treachery, betrayal, abuse, deception, thievery, insults, or even death.  Zalanthas is a brutal, harsh world, so send some love for those who make it so!
Eastman: he came out of the east to do battle with The Amazing Rando!

I'd like to encourage folks to enjoy taking their time.  Sometimes I get the sense that everyone's in a damn hurry to... do something.  I'm not sure what, exactly, that is, since all we're doing is playing out people's lives, which are finite, short things.

The one that kills me is interpersonal relationships.  If I'm not your BFF or lover the first time we meet, it doesn't mean I don't like playing with you. :(  I'm probably trying to draw something out, so that we have something to talk about tomorrow... and the day after... and the week after... I want a relationship to last, and I don't want to let it to get boring, a la the old married couple who've seen each other every day for thirty years and don't have anything new to talk about.
Quote from: saquartey
Rairen, what would we do without you?

Quote from: Rairen on March 04, 2009, 10:16:09 AM
The one that kills me is interpersonal relationships.  If I'm not your BFF or lover the first time we meet, it doesn't mean I don't like playing with you. :(  I'm probably trying to draw something out, so that we have something to talk about tomorrow... and the day after... and the week after... I want a relationship to last, and I don't want to let it to get boring, a la the old married couple who've seen each other every day for thirty years and don't have anything new to talk about.

This. I'm sorry, I really hate taking mates. But I'm so nice, that I end up taking mates anyways 'cause they're just so CUTE and wanting to be with only me.... Awwww. ~pats the other characters~
The man asks you:
     "'Bout damn time, lol.  She didn't bang you up too bad, did she?"
The man says, ooc:
     "OG did i jsut do that?"

Quote from: Shalooonsh
I love the players of this game.
That's not a random thought either.