Shit Happens

Started by Olgaris, February 18, 2009, 04:54:44 PM

QuoteSo we can have dung decay in Tuluk, but stick around in Allanak...

This would actually be cool if there was differing rates of decay dependant on area.
Indoors would of course last until cleaned out.

QuoteI don't know about others, but seeing so much dung out in the wilderness is a little jarring. You'd think it would get covered by the brushes and the shifting sands and stuff, so that only by carefully looking for it would you find any...

I figure most of you simply are not very observant IRL when in wilderness areas. I see droppings every where, and you do to, but do not think about it. Birds for instance, leave it everywhere in noticable amounts. Raccoons leave suprisingly large piles. Same for deer, though that looks like a giant rabbit was there. rabbits seem to shit out anyplace they graze. Most reptile feces don't even look like poop so are easily missed.
And few of us live in areas where the animals get much over 200lbs. I'm betting that if you went to the plains of africa where there are herds of thousands of animals grazing about at over 500lbs each, that the piles are QUITE noticable. Just not something you will see much of in TV shows. Documentaries on animal dung probly are not great ratings grabbers.

But what you really forget is, in zalanthus, even places named forest have only about as much plant life as your average earth desert...IE 95% sand with some trees and bushes scattered about.
A gaunt, yellow-skinned gith shrieks in fear, and hauls ass.
Lizzie:
If you -want- me to think that your character is a hybrid of a black kryl and a white push-broom shaped like a penis, then you've done a great job

I used to do mantracking in search and rescue (don't ask - oh god) and I agree with X-D. Poop is everywhere. Even human poop.

Take a walk around a public park and look hard. You'll find tons (metric tonnes - literally) of poop.

It still is jarring to see piles of poop everywhere IG. If you're seeing more poop than any other object (I.e. PLANTS) then there is a problem.

I personally dislike these changes. Keep it to the dung mounds, like the clay pits. Or make the poop decay quicker.
I tripped and Fale down my stairs. Drink milk and you'll grow Uaptal. I know this guy from the state of Tenneshi. This house will go up Borsail tomorrow. I gave my book to him Nenyuk it back again. I hired this guy golfing to Kadius around for a while.

Quote from: Bogre on February 19, 2009, 06:29:01 PM
It still is jarring to see piles of poop everywhere IG. If you're seeing more poop than any other object (I.e. PLANTS) then there is a problem.

I personally dislike these changes. Keep it to the dung mounds, like the clay pits. Or make the poop decay quicker.
"And all around is the desert; a corner of the mournful kingdom of sand."
   - Pierre Loti

February 19, 2009, 06:32:13 PM #154 Last Edit: February 19, 2009, 06:34:27 PM by Malken
It's not because there's poop everywhere out there in the real world that I want my fantasy world to be known as that RPI with poop all over it.

Harshlands took out their poop system within a week because it was a running joke all over the mud community, I think FEM did the same..

It's sort of a good idea, but sort of not, as well.. I'm not sure yet.

Beside, knowing our playerbase, everyone always say they want to play stablelands and beggars, but in reality, that's not true at all, anyone rarely ever does.
"When I was a fighting man, the kettle-drums they beat;
The people scattered gold-dust before my horse's feet;
But now I am a great king, the people hound my track
With poison in my wine-cup, and daggers at my back."

Oh, and in wilderness areas, I would love...LOVE to see animals and plants that take advantage of dung, specialy mammal type dung, since mammals tend to have horribly inefficent digestive systems.

It would likely be easy to adapt the current vulture scripts to dung loving animals.
A gaunt, yellow-skinned gith shrieks in fear, and hauls ass.
Lizzie:
If you -want- me to think that your character is a hybrid of a black kryl and a white push-broom shaped like a penis, then you've done a great job

February 19, 2009, 06:39:12 PM #156 Last Edit: February 19, 2009, 06:40:52 PM by staggerlee
Quote from: Malken on February 19, 2009, 06:32:13 PM

Beside, knowing our playerbase, everyone always say they want to play stablelands and beggars, but in reality, that's not true at all, anyone rarely ever does.

My largest concern about the new system is that it's going to be very hard for clans to find someone to clean the stables.
Particularly frustrating for clans with low player bases, and especially if they have to give that stablehand full access to the compound to do his job. (Due to building design)

I honestly don't think that there are that many people who want to codedly interact with poop. I can see the appeal to having something to do as a servant or recruit, but even then I think it would be a lot more fun to emote it than to go "get poop" over and over again.

Call me a skeptic, I'm just leery of adding code that clutters the game world with "poop" objects without adding much but another safe way of making coin for the lower classes of the game.

It could also be incredibly jarring to see random people  go "get poop" "put poop pack" as they stroll down the road.  But like I said earlier... it'll be a little while again before I have time to really try the code out, so take that into account when considering my critique.
"But I don't want to go among mad people," Alice remarked.

"Oh, you can't help that," said the Cat: "we're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad."

"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.

"You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldn't have come here."

Randomly getting poop and sticking it in your backpack has consequences, and it will be obvious to everyone if someone has been doing that.

There is now a capped amount that poop can accumulate in stables with a lot of mounts about. And, as always, after a certain amount of singular poops appear in a room they'll get put into the mound.

Xygax will be working his magick to fix how often mounts are pooping, even before a reboot, and without having to stable/unstable them.

Yes, poop was originally implemented to happen too frequently. Give it a week.
You give your towering mound of dung to the inordinately young-spirited Shalooonsh.
the inordinately young-spirited Shalooonsh sends:
     "dude, how'd you know I was hungry and horny?"

Quote from: staggerlee on February 19, 2009, 06:39:12 PM

My largest concern about the new system is that it's going to be very hard for clans to find someone to clean the stables.
Particularly frustrating for clans with low player bases, and especially if they have to give that stablehand full access to the compound to do his job. (Due to building design)

I honestly don't think that there are that many people who want to codedly interact with poop. I can see the appeal to having something to do as a servant or recruit, but even then I think it would be a lot more fun to emote it than to go "get poop" over and over again.

Call me a skeptic, I'm just leery of adding code that clutters the game world with "poop" objects without adding much but another safe way of making coin for the lower classes of the game.

It could also be incredibly jarring to see random people  go "get poop" "put poop pack" as they stroll down the road.  But like I said earlier... it'll be a little while again before I have time to really try the code out, so take that into account when considering my critique.

This is where contractors come into play. Player stablehand contacts the various GMHs and so on and makes arrangements to clean their stables. He hits them up a couple times an RL week, and the bag(s) of poop are sold and he makes some money. He has a regular 'run', like a garbageman rl.
Quote from: brytta.leofa on August 17, 2010, 07:55:28 PM
A glossy, black-shelled mantis says, in insectoid-accented sirihish,
  "You haven't picked enough cotton, friend."
Choose thy fate:

Quote from: Olgaris on February 19, 2009, 06:49:05 PM

Zalanthan Immodium AD.

Quote from: Winterless on February 19, 2009, 07:30:17 PM
Quote from: Olgaris on February 19, 2009, 06:49:05 PM

Zalanthan Immodium AD.

I'm sick'o this shit!

>drop pants
You do not have that item.

Big difference between a stablehand, who can have a reliable way of making 'sid, and, now, some actual coded duties, and a beggar, whose livelihood is entirely dependent on a variable and fickle PC population.

We've certainly got plenty of 'sid miners.
The sword is sharp, the spear is long,
The arrow swift, the Gate is strong.
The heart is bold that looks on gold;
The dwarves no more shall suffer wrong.

Quote from: brytta.leofa on February 19, 2009, 07:38:07 PM

Big difference between a stablehand, who can have a reliable way of making 'sid, and, now, some actual coded duties, and a beggar, whose livelihood is entirely dependent on a variable and fickle PC population.

The difference is that I can make 500 'sids easily in half an hour mining obsidian, but it takes a whole shitload of shit (teehee) to even make 20 'sids.

This will NEVER replace all the obsidian miners, for sure.

Quote from: Malken on February 19, 2009, 07:54:45 PM
Quote from: brytta.leofa on February 19, 2009, 07:38:07 PM

The difference is that I can make 500 'sids easily in half an hour mining obsidian, but it takes a whole shitload of shit (teehee) to even make 20 'sids.

This will NEVER replace all the obsidian miners, for sure.

No, it won't. I mean, sid has a lot of uses and is valuable. Dung is just...shit. It's not going to pay as well. But then you aren't risking anything much to do the job so it's perfect for newbies.

You can't count on making 500 per outing for sid. I've had days in the past where I made maybe 20 or none at all when storms kick up, or a spider jumps me while mining, or whatever. There's risks for the higher pay. The thing is no one is expecting one job to take the place of the other. There's just more choices in Allanak now, that's all.

Quote from: brytta.leofa on August 17, 2010, 07:55:28 PM
A glossy, black-shelled mantis says, in insectoid-accented sirihish,
  "You haven't picked enough cotton, friend."
Choose thy fate:

Actually we were planning on taking away 'sid mining as an option, and replacing it with this shit.

DO NOT BELIEVE ME.
You give your towering mound of dung to the inordinately young-spirited Shalooonsh.

Clearly, Olgaris is full of shit.
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

Quote from: Olgaris on February 19, 2009, 08:33:30 PM
Actually we were planning on taking away 'sid mining as an option, and replacing it with this shit.

DO NOT BELIEVE ME.

Oh, man, the shit's gonna hit the fan over this one.
Quote from: Dalmeth
I've come to the conclusion that relaxing is not the lack of doing anything, but doing something that comes easily to you.

Quote from: Semper on February 19, 2009, 05:21:42 PM
I don't know about others, but seeing so much dung out in the wilderness is a little jarring. You'd think it would get covered by the brushes and the shifting sands and stuff, so that only by carefully looking for it would you find any...

Like playing pickup football in the field. It's not until you actually almost step in shit (or roll in it) that you notice it.

So, crap should be <hidden> until stepped upon?

new trap for assassin....

Quote from: deviant storm on February 19, 2009, 07:11:12 PM
This is where contractors come into play. Player stablehand contacts the various GMHs and so on and makes arrangements to clean their stables. He hits them up a couple times an RL week, and the bag(s) of poop are sold and he makes some money. He has a regular 'run', like a garbageman rl.

I just... wouldn't this be a slave's job? 
"The Highlord casts a shadow because he does not want to see skin!" -- Boog

<this space for rent>

Btw - does anyone think it is odd that someone is quoted on the GDB as making 200+ sid a day salt grebbing, another 500 sid a day obsidian mining (and god knows how much lumber mining) while noble soldiers and high ranking GHM folk are getting 500 sid a month?

Any wonder clans are failing and everyone is indy?

If we cut the profits from mining/salt/trees and such to say I don't know, a tenth of their value, I bet we would see a lot more clannies.

Especially if GHM NPCs stopped buying from PCs, referring them to their agents for unregulated sales.

It would be good for the game - suddenly clans would be full, indies would look like the rough and tumble indies that SHOULD look like and making it big would be, in a word, difficult.

Quote from: DustMight on February 19, 2009, 10:50:43 PM

This is far from what I have observed, with my uber awesome 'who' command of immortal powerz. If you'd like to continue that line of discussion, another thread will be in order.

Btw - does anyone think it is odd that someone is quoted on the GDB as making 200+ sid a day salt grebbing, another 500 sid a day obsidian mining (and god knows how much lumber mining) while noble soldiers and high ranking GHM folk are getting 500 sid a month?

If we cut the profits from mining/salt/trees and such to say I don't know, a tenth of their value, I bet we would see a lot more clannies.

Especially if GHM NPCs stopped buying from PCs, referring them to their agents for unregulated sales.

It would be good for the game - suddenly clans would be full, indies would look like the rough and tumble indies that SHOULD look like and making it big would be, in a word, difficult.

Amen.
Majikal Quote:
"I  came in a girls hair products when she was too drunk to finish blowing me... she still doesn't know. We're still friends."

I'd have to agree with Olgaris. I'm seeing fewer and fewer indies and more and more clannies.
Quote from: Gimfalisette
(10:00:49 PM) Gimf: Yes, you sentence? I sentence often.

Quote from: PerpetualPatriot on February 19, 2009, 10:59:34 PM

Amen.
Amen.
Amen.
your mother is an elf.

I'm pretty sure this will be cut and made into another thread because it's going on a derail, but I know plenty of clans
that allow you to greb for salt AND mine obsidian to your heart's content while you're in the clan.

The fact that you may see more people in clans these days is because leaders have become smarter and they know
they can't compete with the small fortune you can make on your own, so many of them now offers you both the clan
pay AND for you to go out and do what you must (sometimes in disguised ways, as in, well, you can go and mine obsidian,
but make sure that a big part of what you mine goes to the clan, as well).

I'm just not convinced that many, if any, in a month, will be playing poop scoopers, and then, I just don't know what type
of first impression that gives to new and serious roleplayers when they'll log into the game and the streets of Tuluk will
be filled with pickable and tossable poop objects.

I hope the Staff who worked on this won't think I don't appreciate his or her work, but to me, there are just a few things
that should never be hard coded in a game, poop being the #1 on my list. I don't want to see the word 'turd' every few
rooms I travel to, that's all, and that's coming from one of the most immature poster on the GDB, I think.