Expanding the 'pack' command

Started by a strange shadow, February 18, 2009, 02:06:47 AM

1 - tents directly packable onto mounts

2 - ability to pack/unpack things into/from containers already packed onto the mount

3 - look in <animal>'s <container>, if <animal> is hitched to you.

pretty please, with ginka on top?

<3
Shadow

February 18, 2009, 03:04:44 AM #1 Last Edit: February 18, 2009, 04:10:18 PM by Olgaris

For the record, I like your ideas Shadow, and I hope someone takes up the project. I especially like numbers 2 and 3, though being able to pack a tent directly onto a mount does make sense since it's technically a container object, yet not coded as one. Or is it?

February 18, 2009, 03:09:08 AM #2 Last Edit: February 18, 2009, 04:10:52 PM by Olgaris
I whole heartedly agree, though I don't think it should be anything of high priority; but eventually I would love to see the pack command expanded in this sense.
Majikal Quote:
"I  came in a girls hair products when she was too drunk to finish blowing me... she still doesn't know. We're still friends."

February 18, 2009, 03:15:34 AM #3 Last Edit: February 18, 2009, 04:11:30 PM by Olgaris

Making everything packable would be rockin. Everything can be tied down, anyone that owns a car and moves alot learns this.
A staff member sends you:
"Normally we don't see a <redacted> walk into a room full of <redacted> and start indiscriminately killing."

You send to staff:
"Welcome to Armageddon."

>subdue amos
You subdue the tall, muscular man despite his attempts to wrestle away.

>pack amos beetle
You tie Amos to a war beetle, despite his attempts to wrestle away.

>think "He's in for a long, long ride."
You think,
  "He's in for a long, long ride."

>emote slaps ~beetle on the rear, sending it running into the distance.

>emote laughs maniacally, holding two clenched fists in the air.

Quote from: Ammut on February 18, 2009, 03:28:55 AM
>subdue amos

>pack amos beetle

You think,

That was beautiful  :'(

I've always wanted to do something like this.
Quote from: Dalmeth
I've come to the conclusion that relaxing is not the lack of doing anything, but doing something that comes easily to you.

Quote from: Pale Horse on February 18, 2009, 03:36:10 AM
Quote from: Ammut on February 18, 2009, 03:28:55 AM
>subdue amos

>pack amos beetle

You think,

That was beautiful  :'(

I've always wanted to do something like this.

I've never thought about that idea before, that would be incredible though!
Majikal Quote:
"I  came in a girls hair products when she was too drunk to finish blowing me... she still doesn't know. We're still friends."

Well, anyone who's ever tried to pack a tent on a car should know that it's pretty damn tough without a bag. But for playability issues, I think that all tents should be packable (i.e. come in a bag).

The other two suggestions I like too. Heh, packing someone onto a mount I like even more, especially elves. That person should be able to free themselves with a normal flee :P

All that's left is whether it's going to be difficult to code.
Quote from: Rahnevyn on March 09, 2009, 03:39:45 PM
Clans can give stat bonuses and penalties, too. The Byn drop in wisdom is particularly notorious.

This would be an awesome addition, although I'd like it if you could only look into -certain- containers when they're strapped to your mount.

I can't really think of a way that you could strap a chest, trunk, or footlocker to a leather saddle that doesn't involve making it un-openable.
And I vanish into the dark
And rise above my station

Quote from: Fathi on February 18, 2009, 04:54:48 AM
This would be an awesome addition, although I'd like it if you could only look into -certain- containers when they're strapped to your mount.

I can't really think of a way that you could strap a chest, trunk, or footlocker to a leather saddle that doesn't involve making it un-openable.

through the handles?
"The fear of death is the most unjustified of all fears, for there's no risk of accident for someone who's dead."
-Albert Einstein

Quote from: a strange shadow on February 18, 2009, 02:06:47 AM
1 - tents directly packable onto mounts

2 - ability to pack/unpack things into/from containers already packed onto the mount

3 - look in <animal>'s <container>, if <animal> is hitched to you.

pretty please, with ginka on top?

<3
Shadow

Agreed.  Completely.  It's a bit of a reality break to have to unpack something meant to be attached at length to your mount just so you can cram a little something something in a pocket or saddlebag.  It's especially painful when you assess this large container to see the joys of its storage capacity, only to realize that since it weighs a shit ton itself, you can't pack much of anything inside it.

Please, please dear God allow us to pack things inside containers after they have been strapped to a mount.  I will do anything...  Anything...

Yes.... Even that.

My god, strapping someone to a mount would be pretty awesome, but I have a hard enough time picking up someone's corpse by myself as it IS.

Perhaps we could just... you know... drag an elf behind an inix for a few leagues until he talks?
Quote from: IAmJacksOpinion on May 20, 2013, 11:16:52 PM
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.

Quote from: Riev on February 18, 2009, 12:28:42 PM
My god, strapping someone to a mount would be pretty awesome, but I have a hard enough time picking up someone's corpse by myself as it IS.

Perhaps we could just... you know... drag an elf behind an inix for a few leagues until he talks?

It would be priceless to see this implemented having little chance to escape once bound to the mount and potentially could inflict damage upon the subdued victim should the mount start running and s/he not able to keep up.
Majikal Quote:

Quote from: Fathi on February 18, 2009, 04:54:48 AM

The roleplay there is that you're undoing the straps enough to look inside, thus the reasoning for requiring the mount to be hitched to you.

I'd just love to see the pack command expanded for reasons having to do with immersion and fully believable desert-wandering scenes.

... and less screen spam, and more command emote goodness.

Plus what Rishenko said.

Synthesis and his silliness can go silly elsewhere. It's a character's choice whether they carry a tent or not, doesn't mean the player is "doing it wrong."

:-*

I deleted or edited half the posts in this thread. Don't be jerks, or I'll make you suffer in ways that only I can imagine.
You give your towering mound of dung to the inordinately young-spirited Shalooonsh.
the inordinately young-spirited Shalooonsh sends:
     "dude, how'd you know I was hungry and horny?"

It's been a while since I looked at one, but I believe "rolled" tents' mdescs have that the tent is died off with leather straps or some such.
Leather straps that would be easily tied off to a mount's harness.

Also I have always wanted to be able to pack a quiver on to a mount and "pull war's quiver."
Having a quiver that was properly positioned in front of you would be ICly much easier than reaching around behind you.
Quote from: Twilight on January 22, 2013, 08:17:47 PMGreb - To scavenge, forage, and if Whira is with you, loot the dead.
Grebber - One who grebs.

Jingo approves.

Also, while we're at it, I think we should do something about the hitch code. You have no idea how frusterating it is caring for three war beetles in a room. Especially when five other people also have beetles hitched.

Either there is some command that should tell you. Or I think just using the look command should tell which critters are hitched to you.
Now you're looking for the secret. But you won't find it because of course, you're not really looking. You don't really want to work it out. You want to be fooled.

Quote from: Jingo on February 18, 2009, 05:19:01 PM
Either there is some command that should tell you. Or I think just using the look command should tell which critters are hitched to you.

I think that's already the case? I've seen animals walking along, and when I looked at then it said they were hitched to the blah blah blah.
The man asks you:
     "'Bout damn time, lol.  She didn't bang you up too bad, did she?"
The man says, ooc:
     "OG did i jsut do that?"

Quote from: Shalooonsh
I love the players of this game.
That's not a random thought either.

I also now the stat command tells you, and while it doesn't tell you that your beetle named "Fluffy" is hitched to you, that's why you title mounts....so you can type: hitch fluffy.  Ta-dum.

and on a side note, I can think of LOTS of torture methods....most of which involve a hula hoop, and a REALLY fat chick.  ;D
"The fear of death is the most unjustified of all fears, for there's no risk of accident for someone who's dead."
-Albert Einstein

I like these ideas. I've always wanted to be able to put things in bags already packed on my mount.

I even like the packing people on mounts. For when/if you want to kidnap someone for evil purposes.  ;)
Quote from: brytta.leofa on August 17, 2010, 07:55:28 PM
A glossy, black-shelled mantis says, in insectoid-accented sirihish,
  "You haven't picked enough cotton, friend."
Choose thy fate:

Quote from: deviant storm on February 24, 2009, 10:35:03 AM
I like these ideas. I've always wanted to be able to put things in bags already packed on my mount.

I even like the packing people on mounts. For when/if you want to kidnap someone for evil purposes.  ;)

Shotgun wedding?
Quote from: Dalmeth
I've come to the conclusion that relaxing is not the lack of doing anything, but doing something that comes easily to you.

I always emote my mount being far away from my kill so I have to go over to it to get the pack

To be able to get a skinning knife from a pack on my mount without having to unpack it first would be awesome.

You could invent a new game like tug of war. Pack half giant beetle then just ride your mount one way while the giant pulls the other.
Quote from: AJM
Only noobs quote themselves.