Code Idea for Training

Started by Cuusardo, May 30, 2003, 09:33:26 PM

The only way to practice archery is to actually go out and shoot things.  However, it would be in bad form to shoot arrows at the person(s) you're sparring with.  Not to mention it's extremely difficult to try shooting arrows when the wind picks up.  Could we get some kind of archery targets coded into the game, for House training areas?
Quote from: AnaelYou know what I love about the word panic?  In Czech, it's the word for "male virgin".

Aren't they already in place?

Quote from: "Kankman"Yes.

Please refer to my earlier post.

I thought you were just throwing in support for the idea.

:cry:

Well I guess I just haven't searched hard enough for them.  :P
Quote from: AnaelYou know what I love about the word panic?  In Czech, it's the word for "male virgin".

I know that archery ranges were attempted before, and were a failure, I'm not sure why.  Archery targets are, at best, a very poor substitute for trying to launch an arrow at a moving target in real conditions.  It enables you to get a feel for the bow and to practice the careful art of aiming and striking the target, but that's about it.  Correcting for wind, elevation, hitting a spot perhaps five inches wide just behind a tough shoulderblade, all that is what has to be done to bring down game in archery.

The best practice is field practice, and it's a numbers game.  The greater the number of attempts, the better you get at it.

Armageddon, I find, is a game where the powerful combat skills, such as Sap, backstab, archery, throw and a few others are structured in a way that it takes many IC years to get good, and many more to master.  If there is anything I can recommend to people, it is patience.  You must have extreme patience if you want to work on one of those skills and become a true master.  So be patient, wait for your opportunities, and be on your guard so you make the most of those opportunities.

Quote from: "gfair"Archery targets are, at best, a very poor substitute for trying to launch an arrow at a moving target in real conditions.  It enables you to get a feel for the bow and to practice the careful art of aiming and striking the target, but that's about it.  Correcting for wind, elevation, hitting a spot perhaps five inches wide just behind a tough shoulderblade, all that is what has to be done to bring down game in archery.
Correcting for wind, elevation, distance...those can all be done in an archery range.  Have it outside with multiple targets at different distances and elevations.
Quote from: MalifaxisWe need to listen to spawnloser.
Quote from: Reiterationspawnloser knows all

Quote from: SpoonA magicker is kind of like a mousetrap, the fear is the cheese. But this cheese has an AK47.

Ill have to agree with Spawnloser there,After all if archery targets did nothing why did people make them in rl for the first place?

Quote from: "spawnloser"Correcting for wind, elevation, distance...those can all be done in an archery range.  Have it outside with multiple targets at different distances and elevations.

This still makes no difference - you can learn to shoot an arrow at an archery range, you can't learn to hunt or kill at one.

There are archery ranges in the game, if you want to know.  This is all redundant discussion. I know of one, and suspect there is probably at least one other.  The one I know of is shut down, but if you want one you should try asking your clan IMM.

If you really want to learn archery and get good at it, go hunting as much as you can, practice in field, and put in the 30-200 days of time into your character necessary to master the skill.

Look, I'm not saying you should be able to become an expert at an archery range.  Seriously, sparring dummies (from how I understand it) are not as good as real sparring...why not make archery targets not as good as real hunting?
Quote from: MalifaxisWe need to listen to spawnloser.
Quote from: Reiterationspawnloser knows all

Quote from: SpoonA magicker is kind of like a mousetrap, the fear is the cheese. But this cheese has an AK47.

As someone who took archery for 4 semesters in college and has several friends who bowhunt, I would like to make the following observations -

1.  After you get good at shooting indoors, you move outdoors.  Olympic archery is all outdoor.  And they nail the gold regardless of wind and weather conditions.  (Gold in this case refers to the two inner rings on a target face, just to keep things clear  :) )

2.  Bowhunting on a moving target requires the ability to lead the target.  The skill is remarkably similar to hitting a stationary target when there's wind, however.

3.  Hitting a moving target is all about compensating.  People shoot skeet to practice shooting ducks.
quote="Larrath"]"On the 5th day of the Ascending Sun, in the Month of Whira's Very Annoying And Nearly Unreachable Itch, Lord Templar Mha Dceks set the Barrel on fire. The fire was hot".[/quote]

What was that Pauly shore movie..."majored in karate for 2 semesters"
Snicker, sorry.

Myself, I've hunted with a bow for near 12 years now and I still spend a large amount of time each year at an indoor and outdoor range.
A gaunt, yellow-skinned gith shrieks in fear, and hauls ass.
Lizzie:
If you -want- me to think that your character is a hybrid of a black kryl and a white push-broom shaped like a penis, then you've done a great job

I didn't mean in any way to imply that I was actually good at archery.  In fact, I never did move on to the outdoor range.  Just that I did have some experience with bows, and with some people who were good.  :oops:
quote="Larrath"]"On the 5th day of the Ascending Sun, in the Month of Whira's Very Annoying And Nearly Unreachable Itch, Lord Templar Mha Dceks set the Barrel on fire. The fire was hot".[/quote]

Hhhmmm, Did not think you did say you were good Jolly, but I was agreeing with you, even expert archers spend a lot of time on the range, putting arrow after arrow in the target, (and gun marksman too) trying to get each shot the same, figuring out the variables etc, then when you have one range down, say 25 yards you move to 50 and suddenly you are starting over because it is a new ballgame, then if you are good you go to 75 and if you are insanly good you move to 100. then you start thinking about outdoors and start all over there, then you may want to start on moving targets, and again it is completly new.

And it never really ends either, you are always wanting to brush up on one point or another.

But in game, archery targets should have a very set limit to how far it can advance your skills, currently I do not think they do have this limit and so one must limit the use of the targets. Unlike training dummies which do not do much for you to begin with and rapidly become basicly useless for the advancement of skills and more useful for working on combat emotes (which is what I use them for)
A gaunt, yellow-skinned gith shrieks in fear, and hauls ass.
Lizzie:
If you -want- me to think that your character is a hybrid of a black kryl and a white push-broom shaped like a penis, then you've done a great job

Since, in game, anything useable as a target which can help your skill is in short a NPC, it is absolutely possible to limit the advancement possible. Simply setting the agility score will decide how easy the thing is to hit, and once you hit it ten times in a row, you more than likely will not be able to advance your skill on that thing very often at all. An archery target with a low agility score would be an excellent way to train new archers to a reasonable amount of talent.

The body parts on the archery targets might be:

head = bullseye
neck = first ring
torso =second ring
anywhere else = third ring
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

Quote from: Ami on November 23, 2010, 03:40:39 PM
>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870